Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Lol here were some of the other gems
  • All state volleyball player
  • Afraid of his Indiana in-laws
  • Was recruited by Hurley to play at...Rutgers! WTF? I swear he said that.
He was recruited by Hurley to play at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Good, solid win. Really impressed with Tristen today especially 11 rebounds. Cam quietly another very good game (funny some were complaining about him not playing well in the chat lol). Also Samson Johnson played excellent defense and proved worthy of being that guy we need I think. Dan made a coaching error bringing SJ back in end of the first half with 2 fouls and having him guard Reneau only to get his 3rd. Don’t need that kind of foul trouble in the middle should’ve just finished the half in a zone keeping both SJ and Alex on the bench with 2 each. Ball nice 2nd half, should be a confidence builder for him. Like to see a bit more of Stewart but his time will come. Alex got torched by Reneau but he didn’t play bad defense most of the time, Reneau just made shots some tough ones. Diarra was solid for the most part good minutes. Just needs to take care of the ball better on O. DC was eh, played hard and battled but he’s still not the same player right now it seems. Hopefully getting closer to 100%.

Texas will be a whole different animal, better athletes and speed. Shedrick will be a handful for DC as well. He can put it on the floor, can make plays and is very quick for a big kid. Should be a fun game.

Reaction Score
Newton and Spenser both really know how to play this game. Karaban is not far behind them. Castle is another high basketball IQ type. It gives us a huge advantage in the backcourt.

Johnson will get better as he plays more meaningful minutes. He was solid today. Dan seems intent on getting him high value minutes. That should accelerate his growth. Not worried about DC on the least. He is a beast even when he plays a little unevenly.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sloppy first half but still had a 7 point lead and 37 points total. Good sign

IU was super aggressive and it bothered Clingan. It did not bother Newton. Always in control and in attack mode. Cam did really well beating the aggression too

Karaban will need to tap into whatever he did last year to get better against super physical 4s. Got shredded on defense but did well on offense

I remember 5 really good cuts (Diarra, Karaban, Ball 2x, Clingan) that led to great looks. Clingan and Karaban are good passers and guys who cut will be rewarded.

This experience is invaluable for Solo Ball. Still looks jittery, still is reckless around the rim, but will get better every game. Those hard cuts can be his bread and butter

IU fans showed up. From my view in MSG it really looked like 50/50 fan turnout at best. Mid level was very red, upper levels pretty blue. The couple next to me said they traveled from Indianapolis for the game. They weren’t too happy by the end though. The game felt uncomfortable at times but never at risk. Go Huskies!
There were more IU fans than our fans but not by a whole lot. I'd say 70% of the red was IU, 30% was Louisville.

Half joking, my buddy who was sitting with me said "there's a lot of red, looks like a St John's game". My response was "the place is too full to be a St John's game".

A couple minutes into the UT-Louisville game, with the Garden about 40% full and about 1/3 of the crowd in red I said "now it looks like a St John's game".

Reaction Score
Someone tell Flagg that Williams is still lamenting being part of the brotherhood. lol
I hope that if we make it to the tourney final that our last 3 opponents are Kansas, Kentucky and Duke.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Indiana seemed to quit just like those teams we played last year out west in the early tournament. Hopefully we make Texas quit tomorrow.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
View from my seats. Had a blast.

View attachment 93196
Nice!

You probably weren't too far from me.

Pregame shot:

Pregame 2023-11-19.png

Postgame:

Postgame 2023-11-19.png

Reaction Score
-Really enjoyed being at the game in MSG, the atmosphere is electric.
- Impressed by the number of Indians fans.
-Glad to see we can win by 20 over a quality team without Castle and with an okay scoring performance by our bigs.
- Team keeps making that extra pass and players know they will get the ball.
-Solo gaining confidence now will pay big dividends down the road.
- Newton was terrific and is the key to our success
There will not be many Texas fans there tomorrow because the place wasn’t even 1/3 full for their game.

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the team play a heady brand of ball. It's fun to watch.

I have to admit I'm not expecting as much this year (i.e don't think we'll get to the F4) but I'm going to enjoy it all.

I'm really only surprised by Samson Johnson this year. He looks much much better than I thought he'd be. Also the freshman all seem assertive in a way that most freshman are usually not. This means that one of them may indeed become a Karaban-level contributor later in the year.

Reaction Score
Indiana always has traveled strong. I have fond memories of sitting amongst the Indiana fans at the Civic Center in the 1988 tournament when they went down to the Richmond Spiders. My buddy and I took lots of crap cheering like crazy for those Spiders!!! Good times!

caw

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the team play a heady brand of ball. It's fun to watch.

I have to admit I'm not expecting as much this year (i.e don't think we'll get to the F4) but I'm going to enjoy it all.

I'm really only surprised by Samson Johnson this year. He looks much much better than I thought he'd be. Also the freshman all seem assertive in a way that most freshman are usually not. This means that one of them may indeed become a Karaban-level contributor later in the year.

Steward looked a bit deferential when it comes to shooting (not including garbage time) but I think that is to be expected, not scared but also not pressing to score. Same with Ross.

Ball was shooting good shots today, still a tad rushed but overall he's getting better by the game. He's going to grow a lot in the time Castle is out.

Reaction Score
We won, it was a good game. Newton made the difference. My only concern was bench scoring, I'm sure we'll be fine but I would have liked to see more productivity from Johnson and Diarra.

I think that Roumoglou should get some more minutes a game. I think they should run some perimeter stuff for him. I can see him possibly being a factor offensively down the road.
He has a decent handle too.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Newton is so good. I said after one of the early games that he may be our best player, Clingan included. It felt like hyperbole at the time but right now he really is. I expect once Clingan gets back up to speed he will be our best but right now it's Tristen.

Spencer isn't fast or overly quick, in fact I would say he almost seems to play in slow motion. That being said he is really crafty with the ball, and doesn't panic when he's surrounded by the defense. Really good passer, and obviously he can really shoot it too.

Clingan looks great defensively, at times he leaves his feet when he doesn't need to which lead to one of his fouls in the first half, but that's just nitpicking. He's still a bit behind offensively. He'll get there soon.

Karaban played ok. Defensively he struggled pretty badly. I hope this was just a one off, I expect it was. The last two games he's been fouling too much.

The defense and rebounding were great. 43 rebounds to their 17. That's fantastic. If we hit our 3s this year we're going to be incredibly dangerous, especially when Castle comes back.

Reaction Score
Yeah, we don't have anyone who stands around looking befuddled like Mgbako.
You mean Stewart and Ross who almost don't seem to be on the floor when in as they never look for their shot or do anything special. Only Castle and Ball have made an impact. I know Singare played garbage minutes but he looks pretty strong and wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes if our bigs get into foul trouble.

Reaction Score
You mean Stewart and Ross who almost don't seem to be on the floor when in as they never look for their shot or do anything special. Only Castle and Ball have made an impact. I know Singare played garbage minutes but he looks pretty strong and wouldn't mind seeing him get more minutes if our bigs get into foul trouble.
Agree with your take on Singare.Was first on the court 1 hr before Blue White Scrim. working on his game. Very talanted great work ethic. Shot Blocker. Not worried if I see him in the game. Big body..

Last edited:

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I have only scanned the thread but it seems those that were in the Garden felt that it was either even or UConn had more fans. From TV it did seem like more IU fans were there. Have to give their fan base props as they really have not been good in awhile. My take away from the game is that as a Knicks fan I love the Garden, but in no way do I think it is like a third home court for us. That was a neutral court win in every sense. Also not a Jaywil fan but IU does have a lot of talent in their front court. They just did not have any guard play. TN and CS is a great back court. Like that Ball had the courage to keep taking the open threes. We are going to need him this year. I think we also learned that you can play DC and SJ together and I think we may see more of that since it looks like Stewart and Ross are going to need some time.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
We won, it was a good game. Newton made the difference. My only concern was bench scoring, I'm sure we'll be fine but I would have liked to see more productivity from Johnson and Diarra.

I think that Roumoglou should get some more minutes a game. I think they should run some perimeter stuff for him. I can see him possibly being a factor offensively down the road.
Definitely need to see more from the center position for both Johnson and Clingan (only 3 shots....) for scoring. I think that's coming. You can also sorta give a bunch of the Ball points to the bench if we had Castle - these games without Castle are huge for Ball.

We keep saying who is going to be the Joey C guy this year. Well, why not Roumoglou? He only took one three, but that stroke is pure. Joey turned into a good if not great defender and Roum has been here for two years - he has to have some defensive chops at this point. I would love to see him turn into that instant offense from deep off the bench to spur or extend a run.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One more thought: I was really impressed by Samson. He played good defense, had some strong rebounds, and man can he jump. I was glad to see he was OK on that play where he flipped over the back of that IU defender. Still going to keep an eye on him and the fouls, he's been a bit over aggressive defensively at times.

Reaction Score
I think there have been 149 posts that I at least skimmed and not 1 mention that we played some minutes with double bigs, Clingan & Samson. Basically unremarkable positive or negative, but remarkable in terms of Hurley experimenting on the big stage. If I missed a post I apologize. @Chief00 not in your game notes either

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom