Indiana Daily Hoosier having a sip whine before the game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Indiana Daily Hoosier having a sip whine before the game

Reaction Score
This is a UCONN board, so the responses here are to be expected and my opinion to be unpopular. But I’m used to being pounded here so, here’s my take.

There should be no such thing as a home game in this tournament. I understand that the Womens side is not yet as popular and tickets need to be sold but we have reached the point where the first 2 rounds should be on a neutral court. If roles were reversed and we had to play the last game on UCF’s home court, the whining here would have rusted my iPad.

Regionals will change and that’s a good thing.

College playoffs in the major sports; baseball and softball World Series, football playoffs, Frozen Four, are neutral sites unless a local team makes it. There should be no home games in this Tournament.
Do you think that Bridgeport would have applied to be a regional site if UConn didn't exist? Of course not.

Reaction Score
home court in college basketball is for sure a very large advantage, and the argument against uconn having it as a 2 seed is a valid one. after all, isnt one goal of the seasons record for best home seeding. but lets not be so naive, the only curves that rule the ncaa are the ones that fill the seats and maximize income in viewership and advertising revenues. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing.

If the Washington Post had not make this a "clause celeb" nobody would really care.

As to regional sites, the women's game tried that before and they did not get the fannies in the seats.

Reaction Score
Indiana is the lower seed so they have no gripe if they have to play the higher seed in their home state. Not sure why they are complaining on behalf of NC State. If NC State has an issue with it let them speak for themselves.
this is just a guess but I don't think that Wes Moore really cares if he has to play UCONN or Indiana in Bridgeport or on the planet Mars.........I take that back........Moore just complained that Mars has zero atmosphere........

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
iirc Home is worth a basket in most betting schemes.
three points typically, so either a three or a two and the and one.

Reaction Score
Has everyone forgotten that Indiana has a super cheerleader that can leap tall buildings with a single bound and can rescue basketballs that get stuck above the backboard? That more than negates any home court advantage. When was the last time UConn played in Bridgeport anyway?
The last time Uconn played a Regional in Bridgeport was 2018.

The last time Uconn played in a Regional not in Albany or Bridgeport was 2014 (not counting last year).

Reaction Score
"Up next is 11-time national champion UConn in a game to be played in of all places — Connecticut. The No. 2 seed Huskies will play just an hour from their campus in Bridgeport following a decision by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that doesn’t make much sense. Should the Huskies advance past IU and into the regional final, they will have a major home court advantage over No. 1 seed N.C. State. The Committee explained their decision was based on the seeding of the No. 2 seeds, that is, the overall No. 1 is paired with the worst No. 2, and so on. But there is no hard and fast rule mandating such an approach, and that logic doesn’t hold much water in this case. UConn’s home court advantage will more than erase any unscientific and intangible differences between the No. 2 seeds. Simply put, UConn should have been shipped off elsewhere — anywhere but Bridgeport. But there is no changing that now, and UConn’s home court is Indiana’s problem first."
Every team thinks this is a bad idea until they play well enough to have the game in their own geography.

Reaction Score
The student newspaper at IU was quite good when I did my postgraduate work there in the late 70s. The Journalism school at the time was very well regarded.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The last time Uconn played a Regional in Bridgeport was 2018.

The last time Uconn played in a Regional not in Albany or Bridgeport was 2014 (not counting last year).
I have said this before, it is going to be hard for UConn fans when regionals are not local 3 of the next 4 years, as the NCAA transitions to just 2 regional sites. Assuming strong teams remain strong, the year in Albany will be good for UConn fans, the year in Greenville good for the Carolina schools (that's next year), Albany the following, Birmingham (LSU?) and the 4th year Fort Worth (Texas, Baylor, etc.). The west coast sites are in Washington, Oregon and Cali, so other than Stanford don't know any team would have a real advantage.

As someone noted, this is from the student newspaper. Take it for what its worth, I thought UConn earned the Bridgeport Regional by the geographic factor that is applied to the higher seed lines, although this season it didn't seem to play out much otherwise.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing.

If the Washington Post had not make this a "clause celeb" nobody would really care.

As to regional sites, the women's game tried that before and they did not get the fannies in the seats.

Sorry, don't agree...WaPo is just jumping on the obvious bandwagon
Recall that almost up until the end, Creme had us away in various sites
And I noted on several occasions that if we were to be sent to the boonies, this would be the year.

I know many posters thinks it's all about the money...if that's really the reason, the NCAA is even more cynical than I thought...Or perhaps I'm just naïve.

You can't help folks from complaining about what is obviously an advantage for us...Why would anyone argue that it's not?

In the decade or more that I've followed the team and participated in the site, I've been to Albany, Philly, Trenton, some place in Rhode Island and Bridgeport...It's certainly a semi-home site and will be chock full of enthusiastic UConn fans

But you still have to win the games

Reaction Score
This is a UCONN board, so the responses here are to be expected and my opinion to be unpopular. But I’m used to being pounded here so, here’s my take.

There should be no such thing as a home game in this tournament. I understand that the Womens side is not yet as popular and tickets need to be sold but we have reached the point where the first 2 rounds should be on a neutral court. If roles were reversed and we had to play the last game on UCF’s home court, the whining here would have rusted my iPad.

Regionals will change and that’s a good thing.

College playoffs in the major sports; baseball and softball World Series, football playoffs, Frozen Four, are neutral sites unless a local team makes it. There should be no home games in this Tournament.
The solution (not that it would stop the whining) would be to send all of the top 12 seeds to the farthest site possible and then continue that (to the extent possible) all through the rest of the bracket. Of course, this would result in a far more expensive (and less profitable) tournament. $$$ Money $$$ unfortunately, is behind virtually all the decisions that are made regarding the NCAA tournament and it’s difficult to imagine that changing anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Indiana is the lower seed so they have no gripe if they have to play the higher seed in their home state. Not sure why they are complaining on behalf of NC State. If NC State has an issue with it let them speak for themselves.
Well, NC State coach Wes Moore actually did cryptically call it the 'Geno Invitational' when he was informed of the regional brackets. I'd say he might have an issue with it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have said this before, it is going to be hard for UConn fans when regionals are not local 3 of the next 4 years, as the NCAA transitions to just 2 regional sites. Assuming strong teams remain strong, the year in Albany will be good for UConn fans, the year in Greenville good for the Carolina schools (that's next year), Albany the following, Birmingham (LSU?) and the 4th year Fort Worth (Texas, Baylor, etc.). The west coast sites are in Washington, Oregon and Cali, so other than Stanford don't know any team would have a real advantage.

As someone noted, this is from the student newspaper. Take it for what its worth, I thought UConn earned the Bridgeport Regional by the geographic factor that is applied to the higher seed lines, although this season it didn't seem to play out much otherwise.
I suspect they’ll abandon this policy when they make the decision that playing in empty arenas is bad for the game.

Reaction Score

Stanford will only have an advantage the year Regionals are in Sacramento. Sacramento is about the same distance from Stanford as Bridgeport is from Storrs.

Portland is about the same distance from Stanford as Storrs is from Greensboro.

Spokane is about 900 miles away, and Seattle about 840 miles, from Stanford.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I do think many of you are missing the point of the complaint. It is appropriate for the #1 seeds to have a home court advantage because they earned it. But in Bridgeport this year the #2 seed has the home court advantage and the #1 does not. To which I say NC State should have played well enough to have earned the Greensboro seed. They didn't so its time to be quiet and play the game.

Indiana as a #3 seed doesn't have a complaint because they wouldn't have the home court anyway.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Serious questions:

How many points is playing in Bridgeport worth? Bridgeport will have a pro UConn crowd but it is not a “home court” like Gampel.

Also, how many points was home court in Gampel worth?

Do sites quantify such things?
Home field advantage for UConn is 3.01 points per Massey. IIRC, home court is Gampel or Hartford, but not Mohegan.

The quote in the OP is in like the gazzilionth paragraph of a student newspaper. Take it for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
"Up next is 11-time national champion UConn in a game to be played in of all places — Connecticut. The No. 2 seed Huskies will play just an hour from their campus in Bridgeport following a decision by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that doesn’t make much sense. Should the Huskies advance past IU and into the regional final, they will have a major home court advantage over No. 1 seed N.C. State. The Committee explained their decision was based on the seeding of the No. 2 seeds, that is, the overall No. 1 is paired with the worst No. 2, and so on. But there is no hard and fast rule mandating such an approach, and that logic doesn’t hold much water in this case. UConn’s home court advantage will more than erase any unscientific and intangible differences between the No. 2 seeds. Simply put, UConn should have been shipped off elsewhere — anywhere but Bridgeport. But there is no changing that now, and UConn’s home court is Indiana’s problem first."
I do like being referred to as "Murderer's Row."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom