Indiana Daily Hoosier having a sip whine before the game | The Boneyard

Indiana Daily Hoosier having a sip whine before the game

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"Up next is 11-time national champion UConn in a game to be played in of all places — Connecticut. The No. 2 seed Huskies will play just an hour from their campus in Bridgeport following a decision by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that doesn’t make much sense. Should the Huskies advance past IU and into the regional final, they will have a major home court advantage over No. 1 seed N.C. State. The Committee explained their decision was based on the seeding of the No. 2 seeds, that is, the overall No. 1 is paired with the worst No. 2, and so on. But there is no hard and fast rule mandating such an approach, and that logic doesn’t hold much water in this case. UConn’s home court advantage will more than erase any unscientific and intangible differences between the No. 2 seeds. Simply put, UConn should have been shipped off elsewhere — anywhere but Bridgeport. But there is no changing that now, and UConn’s home court is Indiana’s problem first."

Reaction Score
Putting South Carolina in Greensboro, North Carolina is giving them a Home court advantage. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is not being honest. Should people complain about South Carolina? Would it be more fair to have South Carolina in Bridgeport and UCONN in Greensboro?
Also what is the big deal about the home court.... It did not help Baylor, Iowa, and others.
Lets just play the game...

Reaction Score
Just having an excuse lined up if Indiana doesn't win the game. If they don't win it will all about the crowd taking Indiana out of the game, officiating favoring the "home" team etc etc blah blah blah

Reaction Score
Just having an excuse lined up if Indiana doesn't win the game. If they don't win it will all about the crowd taking Indiana out of the game, officiating favoring the "home" team etc etc blah blah blah
The solution to that is to win by such a large margin that even the whiners would be forced to admit that it didn't matter where the game was played.

Reaction Score
"Up next is 11-time national champion UConn in a game to be played in of all places — Connecticut. The No. 2 seed Huskies will play just an hour from their campus in Bridgeport following a decision by the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that doesn’t make much sense. Should the Huskies advance past IU and into the regional final, they will have a major home court advantage over No. 1 seed N.C. State. The Committee explained their decision was based on the seeding of the No. 2 seeds, that is, the overall No. 1 is paired with the worst No. 2, and so on. But there is no hard and fast rule mandating such an approach, and that logic doesn’t hold much water in this case. UConn’s home court advantage will more than erase any unscientific and intangible differences between the No. 2 seeds. Simply put, UConn should have been shipped off elsewhere — anywhere but Bridgeport. But there is no changing that now, and UConn’s home court is Indiana’s problem first."
Any Hoosier that can make it from Storrs campus to Webster Arena, Bridgeport in one hour deserves the win

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's actually approx 1 1/2 hours not 1 hour like everyone is saying . That's Not counting the New haven to Bridgeport traffic...........Just saying ;)
So, apparently, one and a half hours is too close, but 2 1/2 hours from Columbia to Greensboro is just fine? That seems kind of silly. But, if people feel strongly about it change the rules. As I understand it right now geographic proximity is sought after in seeding schools.

Bridgeport was undoubtedly chosen as a venue because UConn fans will go there to see the games. It seems disingenuous to then complain about the same attribute that caused it to be selected as a site in the first place.

Reaction Score
This is a UCONN board, so the responses here are to be expected and my opinion to be unpopular. But I’m used to being pounded here so, here’s my take.

There should be no such thing as a home game in this tournament. I understand that the Womens side is not yet as popular and tickets need to be sold but we have reached the point where the first 2 rounds should be on a neutral court. If roles were reversed and we had to play the last game on UCF’s home court, the whining here would have rusted my iPad.

Regionals will change and that’s a good thing.

College playoffs in the major sports; baseball and softball World Series, football playoffs, Frozen Four, are neutral sites unless a local team makes it. There should be no home games in this Tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, apparently, one and a half hours is too close, but 2 1/2 hours from Columbia to Greensboro is just fine? That seems kind of silly. But, if people feel strongly about it change the rules. As I understand it right now geographic proximity is sought after in seeding schools.

Bridgeport was undoubtedly chosen as a venue because UConn fans will go there to see the games. It seems disingenuous to then complain about the same attribute that caused it to be selected as a site in the first place.
Do you really think that's what I'm saying?? Geez..... I'm a UConn fan on the Boneyard , I'm making fun of the people, in this case Indiana fans complaining about Playing a home game and given the advantage before the game is even played.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you really think that's what I'm saying?? Geez..... I'm a UConn fan on the Boneyard , I'm making fun of the people, in this case Indiana fans complaining about Playing a home game and given the advantage before the game is even played.
Not at all. It was a critique of the situation not of you or your post. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Reaction Score
This is a UCONN board, so the responses here are to be expected and my opinion to be unpopular. But I’m used to being pounded here so, here’s my take.

There should be no such thing as a home game in this tournament. I understand that the Womens side is not yet as popular and tickets need to be sold but we have reached the point where the first 2 rounds should be on a neutral court. If roles were reversed and we had to play the last game on UCF’s home court, the whining here would have rusted my iPad.

Regionals will change and that’s a good thing.

College playoffs in the major sports; baseball and softball World Series, football playoffs, Frozen Four, are neutral sites unless a local team makes it. There should be no home games in this Tournament.
If and when UCF become a top 16 seed, they’ll play at home. And you won’t hear a peep about it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Are 'Yarders actually proclaiming that' Bridgeport is not a home court advantage?
Or if it is---it's of no consequence?
Pretty Silly.

Bridgeport is in Connecticut...same name as the team...
Seems like every opponent (so far) has taken issue in one way or another about fairness.
Of course, they're all sore-losers.

Anyway, the Husky's still have to win, advantage or not.

Reaction Score
Has everyone forgotten that Indiana has a super cheerleader that can leap tall buildings with a single bound and can rescue basketballs that get stuck above the backboard? That more than negates any home court advantage. When was the last time UConn played in Bridgeport anyway?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's convenient for people to forget that around the country the womens game did not get the support from fans so tournament sites were picked to maximize ticket sales. It's why games are played at home courts and the regionals were placed where people would buy tickets. There is also a directive to minimize travel costs as most programs lose money. Most of this whining forgets the economics of the women's game.

As for advantages, many of the higher seeds, including IU were upset or pushed to the wire on their home court. iirc Home is worth a basket in most betting schemes.

Reaction Score
Indiana is the lower seed so they have no gripe if they have to play the higher seed in their home state. Not sure why they are complaining on behalf of NC State. If NC State has an issue with it let them speak for themselves.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Coach Abe didn’t complain about the crowd and Gampel was about as rowdy as it’s been in 25 years. In fact, when UConn played UCF in Orlando, most of the crowd was UConn fans. After the game, Coach Abe took the microphone and invited everyone to come back to future games, including UConn fans. She applauded us all for creating an environment with a lot of energy, making game day more fun for fans and players alike.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Serious questions:

How many points is playing in Bridgeport worth? Bridgeport will have a pro UConn crowd but it is not a “home court” like Gampel.

Also, how many points was home court in Gampel worth?

Do sites quantify such things?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Serious questions:

How many points is playing in Bridgeport worth? Bridgeport will have a pro UConn crowd but it is not a “home court” like Gampel.

Also, how many points was home court in Gampel worth?

Do sites quantify such things?
I remember reading somewhere that oddsmakers give 3 points to visiting teams.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Oklahoma on their home court when they gave up 105 points to a very young Notre Dame team who have mostly never been to an ncaa tournament before? The okies had many fans screaming for them to prevail. People say that Stanford has a home court advantage all the way up in Spokane, Washington. It must be close to 1,000 miles north of their campus and two states away. Uconn hardly ever plays in Bridgeport and the court there is the same size as the one in Indiana. Suck it up buttercup.

Kat

Reaction Score
Home court is a huge advantage but Indiana played its 2 tourney games on its home court. They are a number 3 seed, UConn is a 2. So what's their problem?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't think we would have beaten UCF if we weren't playing at home....or close to it.

I actually think playing at home with the insane crowd unnerved some of our players and helped lead to some of the bunny's missed. And some of these bunnies were not average bunnies. These were some of the cutest cuddly bunnies ever. :oops:

And if we played in Fl, or a neutral site, our fans would anyway travel well enough so it is not a hostile environment,

Reaction Score
AS with the previous Washington Post article, I'll relay that the UConn men say "Hi"

At least with the women's tournament, there has been a historical trend of doing this for revenue reasons. That was never the case in the men's tournament where..

The UConn men lost to Florida in 1994 in... FLORIDA
Then lost to UCLA in 1995 in.... Oakland, CA
then lost to North Carolina in 1998 in.... Greensboro NC

We stopped paying attention to that crap after we won it all in 1999, but the pattern was annoying at the time

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom