Inconsistent Refs ?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Inconsistent Refs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree that the ref's are inconsistent. I think the charge call is made way too frequently and incorrectly, but one of the most interesting examples I have observed was in RU's first two home games this year. In the first instance, our player was guarding the player trying to inbound the ball and stepped over the end line. The ref's called a technical (the correct call) and after much discussion, did not award any foul shots (incorrect). In the second game, they called the T and awarded the foul shots. To me, that shows that some of them don't even know the rules.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It was a foul, but swallow the whistle, please

I call bull patties. If it's a foul it's a foul. Folks always talk about "the game shouldn't be decided by the refs," conveniently ignoring the fact that it is the players who put in the refs hands. Prince blew it and was caught. Stanford benefited from her foolishness. If it had been the other way around, a Stanford player had reached in and it HANDn't been called, RU fans would have been peeved....
Just to point out at the time I was one of the few to point out it "was" a foul. Prince consistently reached in and tried to slap balls out of players hands - usually successfully if you check her stats; unfortunately when it didn't work it went spectacularly bad, including among others the Stanford game and one of the UConn games. She made up for that with the positives of her game, of course, and she wasn't particularly foul prone.

My issue with that call was that every RU player could have fallen on the floor and not been within 5 feet of the Stanford player and Rutgers would have won. I've never denied it was a legit loss, but I do think in that case that the ref should not have called the foul, however, you had a player that didn't realize they didn't need to play defense and a ref that may not have known there was basically under 1 second remaining with the ball pinned on the sideline in the losing teams back court.

Over the years I have read several instances where individual refs have admitted there were calls they made that would better have been not made. One instance described by Lisa Mattingly was quite detailed.

Reaction Score
one of the most interesting examples I have observed was in RU's first two home games this year. In the first instance, our player was guarding the player trying to inbound the ball and stepped over the end line. The ref's called a technical (the correct call) and after much discussion, did not award any foul shots (incorrect). In the second game, they called the T and awarded the foul shots. To me, that shows that some of them don't even know the rules.

There are actually two different violations while defending a throw-in that lead to a technical. The first is for the defender to reach over the line and touch the ball - automatic technical. But the other is more of a judgment call - "repeatedly" crossing the boundary line during a throw-in. Thus it is not necessarily the "correct call" to issue a technical foul for stepping over the end line while guarding a player who is inbounding the ball. It should be really flagrant or be repeated multiple times - not just a player innocently stepping on the line. I didn't see the RU game, but is it possible the refs didn't award any FT's because, after discussion, the head referee decided that it really wasn't a violation that should result in a technical foul?

Reaction Score
June Courteau as director of officiating is an insult to the game. I've been watching hoops since the days of Russell, Chamberlain, and the NBA Game of the Week. The first college player I remember watching was Elvin Hayes. She is responsible for the worst call I've seen in all those years. It wasn't simply a matter of not seeing the play, that's understandable, but of not knowing the rulebook. You can't successfully make a play on the ball and be said to have committed an "intentional foul", yet that's exactly the call she made on Diana, who had executed a clean block. And now she's in charge of reviewing the performance and professionalism of all wcbb officials? I take it they don't need to know the rulebook.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Are officials of women's BB games paid the same as those for men's games? If not, that might explain a few things.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
That white bald guy/ref(?) at the GB game was clueless. What he was doing there was simply an affront to everything BBall. Appalling. :mad:

Just to be clear, when you say "that white bald guy at the Green bay game was clueless",
you're not talking about meyers7, slug23, Fairview, HiDribble, UcMiami or DavidinNaples...right? :rolleyes:
(This will make more sense when dannykuconn posts the Boneyard party photos...) ;)

Go Boneyarders..!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, when you say "that white bald guy at the Green bay game was clueless",
you're not talking about meyers7, slug23, Fairview, HiDribble, UcMiami or DavidinNaples...right? :rolleyes:
(This will make more sense when dannykuconn posts the Boneyard party photos...) ;)

Go Boneyarders..!!
Could very well be me. I'm white, bald, and many people consider me clueless. And I was at the GB game. :cool:

Reaction Score
There are actually two different violations while defending a throw-in that lead to a technical. The first is for the defender to reach over the line and touch the ball - automatic technical. But the other is more of a judgment call - "repeatedly" crossing the boundary line during a throw-in. Thus it is not necessarily the "correct call" to issue a technical foul for stepping over the end line while guarding a player who is inbounding the ball. It should be really flagrant or be repeated multiple times - not just a player innocently stepping on the line. I didn't see the RU game, but is it possible the refs didn't award any FT's because, after discussion, the head referee decided that it really wasn't a violation that should result in a technical foul?
No, that wasn't the case. The head ref was the one who called the T. It wasn't innocently stepping over the line. It should have been a technical foul.

Reaction Score
Ah, no, well maybe it wasn't me.
I saw that pic of you folks at the game. Are you sure???
Nah, the guy I saw in the restaurant was way too good looking to be that ugly old ref. :p

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Could very well be me. I'm white, bald, and many people consider me clueless. And I was at the GB game. :cool:
That is four strikes, Meyers, mebbe 5 counging the shirt. I reckon you are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom