In dismissing him, UConn did Billy Crocker a favor (DiMauro @ The Day) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In dismissing him, UConn did Billy Crocker a favor (DiMauro @ The Day)

Reaction Score
As was mentioned a couple times in this thread, the defense showed no progress. It may have actually gotten worse as the season went along.
Lots of possible reasons for that unrelated to the job he did. Just saying that things may improve incrementally next year but that would be a normal expectation given the circumstances. If the D next year is lights out better, I will be more than happy to say you folks were right and I was wrong. Could happen. Hope it does. Not expecting it.

Reaction Score
Our primary problem in football has been really poor coaching hires.
That may be true but was Edsall just lucky when he brought in Todd Orlando, Rob Ambrose, Joe Moorhead, and a couple other excellent assistants?

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Lots of possible reasons for that unrelated to the job he did. Just saying that things may improve incrementally next year but that would be a normal expectation given the circumstances. If the D next year is lights out better, I will be more than happy to say you folks were right and I was wrong. Could happen. Hope it does. Not expecting it.
Tough to defend Crocker. Let’s just say for a minute that all the on-field issues were Edsall’s fault. With all the time that he had available to him, because Edsall handled all of his coaching responsibilities, where are the recruiting returns? There are none. It is Edsall’s fault, he made a really bad hire. Nice guy, bad hire. Time to move on. The next coach needs to be really good at both, coaching and recruiting.

C

Chief00

That may be true but was Edsall just lucky when he brought in Todd Orlando, Rob Ambrose, Joe Moorhead, and a couple other excellent assistants?

I was discussing the last 8 years not two decades ago.

C

Chief00

In Crocker’s two years here, Chief can’t point to anything positive or even a sign of a positive trajectory. He checked all the boxes of failure.
I will hold Randy accountable for the bad hire and for blaming Lashlee for the poor defense by scoring too fast and putting them back on the field too soon. About 1/3 into the first RE2.0 season - that thinking and actions - started the tailspin where Randy reigned in Lashlee and never held Crocker accountable since he was Randy’s not Dave’s hire. The rest is dismal history.
#ChiefKeepingItReal

Reaction Score
In Crocker’s two years here, Chief can’t point to anything positive or even a sign of a positive trajectory. He checked all the boxes of failure.
I will hold Randy accountable for the bad hire and for blaming Lashlee for the poor defense by scoring too fast and putting them back on the field too soon. About 1/3 into the first RE2.0 season - that thinking and actions - started the tailspin where Randy reigned in Lashlee and never held Crocker accountable since he was Randy’s not Dave’s hire. The rest is dismal history.
#ChiefKeepingItReal

While that simplifies things, I agree. I’m glad that it didn’t become an even bigger issue by hiring a bad OC. Dunn is good, if he wasn’t things would be staggeringly bad for Randy.

Reaction Score
While that simplifies things, I agree. I’m glad that it didn’t become an even bigger issue by hiring a bad OC. Dunn is good, if he wasn’t things would be staggeringly bad for Randy.
I retain the view that losing Lashlee was a very destructive moment in UConn football. The AD was effectively undermined. Lashlee was brought here by the AD using his personal capital and relationships. Rather than get rid of a terrible DC that he hand picked, Randy made Lashlee’s life miserable and the AD had no leverage to deal with that problem. Randy also knew Lashlee could be his replacement if the offense continued to perform at high levels and the D sucked. With that single event, the AD lost all ability to build upon and bring in more SEC level coaching talent. That was squandered. Randy’s stubbornness and hubris remain his greatest downfalls. Having him return, in retrospect, turned out to be a very poor decision. Dunn is fine, but he is no Lashlee. Losing a guy like Grimes was a huge loss.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
DiMuaro's twitter handle is "BCgenius." He has spent his entire career penning direct and indirect anti UConn columns.
The absurdity of his twitter handle is epic. He shelled out $150K to go to BC for a job that 1) doesn't pay that well and 2) does not require a degree from BC (whatever edge it may provide in the Boston area) to get. A true genius would have recognized the ROI for a BC degree in his career and decided to go to a great state school - like UCONN.

Reaction Score
I retain the view that losing Lashlee was a very destructive moment in UConn football. The AD was effectively undermined. Lashlee was brought here by the AD using his personal capital and relationships. Rather than get rid of a terrible DC that he hand picked, Randy made Lashlee’s life miserable and the AD had no leverage to deal with that problem. Randy also knew Lashlee could be his replacement if the offense continued to perform at high levels and the D sucked. With that single event, the AD lost all ability to build upon and bring in more SEC level coaching talent. That was squandered. Randy’s stubbornness and hubris remain his greatest downfalls. Having him return, in retrospect, turned out to be a very poor decision. Dunn is fine, but he is no Lashlee. Losing a guy like Grimes was a huge loss.
Should have given the head job to Rhett.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
The absurdity of his twitter handle is epic. He shelled out $150K to go to BC for a job that 1) doesn't pay that well and 2) does not require a degree from BC (whatever edge it may provide in the Boston area) to get. A true genius would have recognized the ROI for a BC degree in his career and decided to go to a great state school - like UCONN.
The genius is a reporter for a SMALL town newspaper in Connecticut. The genius rails UConn at every opportunity with a readership that is pro-UConn in Southeastern CT. I know, because I grew up there. The genius should be fired!

Reaction Score
I thought we had no choice but to hire Edsall, given Diaco's thievery.

Reaction Score
...Or Lashlee just wanted to be at a place with better climate, access to top tier recruits and where his wife wanted to be
Just sayin

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

It's amazing you have built up this narrative without any facts.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Watching the Auburn game right now and all I can think is "imagine how many points they would have put on UConn?"

Crocker needed to go.

Reaction Score
Anyone who knows anything knows Edsall blows but Benedict's hands were pretty much tied for a variety of reasons. His choice was to go with a no name/offensive coordinator at a mid level school or go back to Randy. Going back to Edsall turned out to be another terrible decision but it's not like Benedict had a ton of options.

Reaction Score
Interesting hypotheses, are there data to support them?

Lets say that Dunn for the most part was OK. But for significant stretches his play calling sucked. It was almost as if he made Pindell hand off so that the pups could get more experience in the run game for next year. The venting and gnashing of teeth in the game chat is something that still stands out vividly to me even now.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Diaco was a disaster, but the process that led to him was 100% the correct way to do it.

Reaction Score
It's amazing you have built up this narrative without any facts.
The facts are he was pulled out of Auburn by Benedict. The facts are the offensive line, the weakest part of the team, was transformed into a functional unit. The facts are the offense was more productive than it has been in years. The fact is the D failed miserably, and Randy put a choke hold on the O. Now, it takes little imagination to understand you don’t get rid your best assets absent unusual circumstances. Wives don’t dictate where coaches go. Every coach’s wife knows the drill. The wife didn’t like it line is known as a graceful explanation for exit, just like politicians who quit for family reasons. Reasonable minds know what likely happened.

Reaction Score
Diaco was a disaster, but the process that led to him was 100% the correct way to do it.

... AND WE are left crossing our fingers on Edsall's plan. We gave Diaco the going rate on coming in: we could have most anyone high in the market that point in time. Because we then renewed Diaco because of a spark of hope, and that was meager; therefore, we had few financial fixes that made sense other than HCRE. Would Lance Leipold today take $1m for AAC ball in the Northeast ... nope. Would anyone have had the foresight to hire him 3 years ago. But he was lower than the Wyoming guy and the new Kansas State guy; yet Champions at a time in lower ball. CAA>? That's essentially what ECU did. Paying far more than Edsall's deal.

Our best hope (and Benedict's) is for Edsall improvement into a solid group of younger guys climbing. I think we are stuck financially for awhile.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The funniest thing to remember is the principle behind giving Diaco that extension was to make it harder for a school to swoop in and hire him away as their head coach.

The literal definition of answering a question no one was going to ask.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
... AND WE are left crossing our fingers on Edsall's plan.

We're at the crossing our fingers stage? Yes, but you should be telling us about the potential of our new recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom