In defense of the refs ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In defense of the refs ...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The problem is fans complain when the refs call too many fouls in a big game, and then they turn around and complain when the refs let them play. Ya can't win from losin'.
I think you’re looking at it the wrong way.

Reaction Score
Please edify me. What would be the right way.
Stevens was whistled two if not three times for "Over the Back"... go back and watch how that Shepard I believe was on top of Katie Lou.... which should have been an "Over the back".... consistency is all I have ever asked for

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Please edify me. What would be the right way.
Edification offered. Learn tongue in cheek with respect to the post to which the comment related.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Stevens was whistled two if not three times for "Over the Back"... go back and watch how that Shepard I believe was on top of Katie Lou.... which should have been an "Over the back".... consistency is all I have ever asked for
And yet if you go to other sites they note how few fouls were called on UConn and how many foul shots we had. Note how on other sites they also believe UConn always receives favor from the refs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Again, it's my personal belief that refereeing should never matter. You as a team should be good enough to overcome any bias or perceived refereeing bias. This is really the only site where fans continue to complain about refereeing after we've won. Often convincingly. It's usually my contention that winners smile and losers say "Deal".

JordyG

Reaction Score
Edification offered. Learn tongue in cheek with respect to the post to which the comment related.
I think right back at 'cha applies here.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The problem is fans complain when the refs call too many fouls in a big game, and then they turn around and complain when the refs let them play. Ya can't win from losin'.
and sometimes I think the coaches may ask the refs to "let them play"... and Z's over-the-back was the right call :oops:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And yet if you go to other sites they note how few fouls were called on UConn and how many foul shots we had. Note how on other sites they also believe UConn always receives favor from the refs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Again, it's my personal belief that refereeing should never matter. You as a team should be good enough to overcome any bias or perceived refereeing bias. This is really the only site where fans continue to complain about refereeing after we've won. Often convincingly. It's usually my contention that winners smile and losers say "Deal".
you're on a roll tonight and I'm loving it

JordyG

Reaction Score
you're on a roll tonight and I'm loving it
Thanks. Usually I'm about ready for the REM but I'm doing the Windows 10 Fall Creators update on my laptop and, if you may know, this s*** takes forever. I'm sure glad I did this on my desktop a month ago. Tomorrow I'm finally gonna get the co-op's electrician to install a breaker box in the kitchen to take over for (now get this!) the original fuse box. I guess the board finally heard my complains. I'll need my lappy when the electricity goes down during the install.

Reaction Score
If you played basketball over the years and played in highly competitive games like these 2 teams played Sunday. The play with Napheesa and Mabry was just their competitive juices flowing. Normally a player from the opposing team doesnt just take the ball from an opponent hands and the way Mabry reacted is a natural reaction at times. There was no type of foul at all! As far as being physical in the post. there will always be pushing, holding, forearms in the back and elbows in the stomache or chest to box out. When an offensive player cuts through the lane and the defensive player steps into them then a foul should be called. But when you are playing in a game and you can get away with it. A player will do it until they get called for it. It is part of the game. I would rather have played or coached in Sundays game because the refs allowed them to play.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Collier had no reason to be reaching for the ball... I think she forgot she was in a real game with ref and not a pick-up on the hardtop

Reaction Score
I realize how tough a job the referees have in Div. I College WBB, but IMHO the refs usually stink! Inconsistency runs rampant!
The BIG names Lisa Mattingly, Dee Kantnor, Brian Enterline, et al, are long past their prime and I truly feel certain refs hold grudges vs certain coaches & programs! Sally Bell was a huge example of that! Boy she loved Pat Summitt & TN!
One of my pet peeves is most all of the big name officials do 5 to 6 games a week all over 2/3's of the country! Monday in CT, Tuesday in TN, Wednesday in OKLA, Friday in FLA, and Sunday in PA! I don't care what their ages are, it has to take a toll on mind & body with travel, hotels, meals, running up and down the court for 40 minutes to an hour! At the end of that week's schedule the refs cannot be at their peak that they started out on! Do this schedule for November through April it takes a lot out of the referees, especially the older ones!
Other typical calls that drive me nuts is the ref at 1/2 court calling a charge under the basket when another official is right there!
The players cannot lay their hands on the offensive player but 2 players run into each other one falls and no call is made!
To set a screen the screener must be set and not initiate contact and not move their feet through the screen, but moving screens happen 10 to 15 times a game and most aren't called till 30 seconds are left in the game and the call becomes monumental!
There was a call made last week (sorry at 70 can't recall the teams involved) where a foul was called on running through a screen and on the replay it showed 2 teammates colliding and one fell and the other team, no-where near the call, was called for the foul!
A player jumps to catch a pass and turns as she lands and the defensive player is standing right where the offense has to land and the offense is called for traveling! Don't you have to allow the player a space to land?
The charge/block call is simple, if the offensive player lowers their shoulder to initiate contact it has to be a charge! It usually is called a block!
I give Dennis DeMaio a lot of credit he realized he was slowing down and retired 2/3's of the way through the season last year!
And lastly supervisors of refs can't be ex-refs that worked with the ones they're evaluating for 20+ years, best friends! They must be impartial!
I realize I'll be attacked for all the above but that's my take of watching at least 5 to 6 games a week over 20+ years!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I realize how tough a job the referees have in Div. I College WBB, but IMHO the refs usually stink! Inconsistency runs rampant!
The BIG names Lisa Mattingly, Dee Kantnor, Brian Enterline, et al, are long past their prime and I truly feel certain refs hold grudges vs certain coaches & programs! Sally Bell was a huge example of that! Boy she loved Pat Summitt & TN!
One of my pet peeves is most all of the big name officials do 5 to 6 games a week all over 2/3's of the country! Monday in CT, Tuesday in TN, Wednesday in OKLA, Friday in FLA, and Sunday in PA! I don't care what their ages are, it has to take a toll on mind & body with travel, hotels, meals, running up and down the court for 40 minutes to an hour! At the end of that week's schedule the refs cannot be at their peak that they started out on! Do this schedule for November through April it takes a lot out of the referees, especially the older ones!

I give Dennis DeMaio a lot of credit he realized he was slowing down and retired 2/3's of the way through the season last year!
I don't know that I have noticed much of a degradation in the calls by the big names you cite. Don't like Brian much, but don't think he's gotten any worse. His problem IMHO is anticipation. In general, while I do think there are some grudges, I don't think these folks are the ones that have them.

What every ref has is preconception - sometimes from years of watching a team, sometimes from their "scouting report" (yes, they don't walk out on the court not knowing who's who, although I have no idea how it is actually handled). Rutgers has, to a large extent, always suffered under the "physical" reputation - and here's what I'm saying, it isn't that they weren't and aren't physical (and too much so at times), but that if something happens that could have been due to the RU player being too physical or not due to the RU player at all (opponent tripped, for example, over their own feet) - the refs will assume that the RU player tripped the opponent, which of course is not always correct.

I get the 5 and 6 games a week thing, although I'm not sure it affects them as much as you think.

Unlike the folks you listed above, IMHO Dennis's ability had decreased before he retired.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't know that I have noticed much of a degradation in the calls by the big names you cite. Don't like Brian much, but don't think he's gotten any worse. His problem IMHO is anticipation. In general, while I do think there are some grudges, I don't think these folks are the ones that have them.

What every ref has is preconception - sometimes from years of watching a team, sometimes from their "scouting report" (yes, they don't walk out on the court not knowing who's who, although I have no idea how it is actually handled). Rutgers has, to a large extent, always suffered under the "physical" reputation - and here's what I'm saying, it isn't that they weren't and aren't physical (and too much so at times), but that if something happens that could have been due to the RU player being too physical or not due to the RU player at all (opponent tripped, for example, over their own feet) - the refs will assume that the RU player tripped the opponent, which of course is not always correct.

I get the 5 and 6 games a week thing, although I'm not sure it affects them as much as you think.

Unlike the folks you listed above, IMHO Dennis's ability had decreased before he retired.

I think he was saying he watches 5-6 games a week.... and I wonder who else is he watching. *, that's self-punishment... is he enjoying the game or watching the refs?

Yup, Rutgers got a bad rap/rep from a lot of people smh

Reaction Score
My visit to McGraw's Bench - NDNation.com this morning confirmed just that. I got a kick out of their take on things. It appeared that the biggest complaint was that Arike Ogunbowale's charging foul against Lou was bogus and that Lou sold it. Amazingly, they did not reference how few calls were made overall and how both teams were permitted to play.
Gotta love it.

...but no talk regarding ND with 8 missed shots during the 4th quarter (from the 4:22 mark to 0:18 and holding to 70 points) while UConn was making this comeback?

Reaction Score
I think he was saying he watches 5-6 games a week.... and I wonder who else is he watching. *, that's self-punishment... is he enjoying the game or watching the refs?

Yup, Rutgers got a bad rap/rep from a lot of people smh

DaddyChoc- - I enjoy watching the players, the abilities of the coaches and oh by the way the refs suck!

Reaction Score
Other typical calls that drive me nuts is the ref at 1/2 court calling a charge under the basket when another official is right there!
The players cannot lay their hands on the offensive player but 2 players run into each other one falls and no call is made!
To set a screen the screener must be set and not initiate contact and not move their feet through the screen, but moving screens happen 10 to 15 times a game and most aren't called till 30 seconds are left in the game and the call becomes monumental!
There was a call made last week (sorry at 70 can't recall the teams involved) where a foul was called on running through a screen and on the replay it showed 2 teammates colliding and one fell and the other team, no-where near the call, was called for the foul!
A player jumps to catch a pass and turns as she lands and the defensive player is standing right where the offense has to land and the offense is called for traveling! Don't you have to allow the player a space to land?
The charge/block call is simple, if the offensive player lowers their shoulder to initiate contact it has to be a charge! It usually is called a block!
And lastly supervisors of refs can't be ex-refs that worked with the ones they're evaluating for 20+ years, best friends! They must be impartial!
I realize I'll be attacked for all the above but that's my take of watching at least 5 to 6 games a week over 20+ years!
Dee Kantnor is a referee in the NBA since 2015.

Reaction Score
Just think. Originally, basketball was meant to be a non contact sport.
You are right for the first 60 or so years it was no or minimal contact --as the people playing became more athletic and speedy contacts became inevitable, as the players became taller and wider real contact became the norm.
If you compare today's Women's basketball to the 6 on 6 WBB--you have to take the today game every time. Ladies can be ladies; just not on the BB court. Remember James A Naismith's (a Canadian) baskets were peach baskets--it's getting harder and harder to find a peach basket.

Reaction Score
One of the most interesting things this year is having floor seats at Arizona. We attended 2 games, both against little sisters, both losses for AZ and both reffed by experienced but mostly run-of-the-mill PAC12 refs. That said -

- I saw more accurately some of the plays than from regular seats. I could actually see players arms, actually see the force used or not used, etc - the type of things you see more on replays on TV than on the game as a whole. Very interesting look.
- Not that I didn't know it, but the game is routinely very physical, without fouls being called. The banging is pretty intense. Take the opportunity (those who haven't before) and watch a game - even if it isn't UConn - from floor seats. You absolutely will get an appreciation.
- In the last game I was at, the Refs got one wrong - they did, and it happens. Replay on the big screen and my own eyes on the play told me there was no foul - but from the ref's angle, I'm sure it looked like one. Oh well.

Kinght---I liked your post. A couple of comments, not disagreements: 1. Refs when the game is physical; it is their job to take control and minimize the physical aspect of that game. 2. Refs, good refs, anticipate fouls--from experience they see things that normally evolve into a foul. If it is close, they call the foul--which when viewed (as you said) from a different angle -is not a
foul. 3. If a refe gets more calls right than wrong, at the speed the game is played, they are doing a good job.
4) (going back to 1 above) The UConn - Okla game at the XL Center years ago --was one in which the REFs went way way overboard in too many foul calls---at half time, I'm sure the the Ref supervisors--told them to cool it. The second half was better. Refs are human, and can over react.

Reaction Score
Kinght---I liked your post. A couple of comments, not disagreements: 1. Refs when the game is physical; it is their job to take control and minimize the physical aspect of that game. 2. Refs, good refs, anticipate fouls--from experience they see things that normally evolve into a foul. If it is close, they call the foul--which when viewed (as you said) from a different angle -is not a
foul. 3. If a refe gets more calls right than wrong, at the speed the game is played, they are doing a good job.
4) (going back to 1 above) The UConn - Okla game at the XL Center years ago --was one in which the REFs went way way overboard in too many foul calls---at half time, I'm sure the the Ref supervisors--told them to cool it. The second half was better. Refs are human, and can over react.

BroadwayVa- - -Great minds think alike! I wanted to add that #3 OKLA at #1UCONN game in Dec. 2001-2002 season to my list of complaints but forgot to in my old age drifty self! Bill Tilden was the head ref and 28 fouls were called in the first 1/2 alone, 52 total for the game between two high ranked teams! So they were only off by 4 fouls between 1/2's! Both Geno and Sherri Coale made a point to say in the post-game presser, the refs made a circus of the game there was NO pace to the game with whistles every 15 seconds or so! The Championship game in April between the same teams was called much different and turned out to be a really great Finals!
I agree with your #2 where sometimes the refs think something is going to happen and blows the "foul" that never happened because the players reacted differently!
And the WNBA is way, way worse than College WBB, if that's possible!
WBB is such a wonderful game, great players, overall good coaching, and the refs just make a farce of the game!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
You are trying to defend the indefensible ;) The game was supposed to be cleaned up and less physical as some believed it was getting more physical than even the guys game. In order for a more free flowing offensive skillful game with less injuries, the refs need to call it tighter and early to set the tone.

Reaction Score
And please don't forget the two masterpieces of officiating,
1. Rutgers at TN late in the game a foul was called AFTER the clock stopped when it should have expired! Giving TN a chance to score two points that won the game! Never reviewed!
2. Regional final Baylor vs TN, tied score with 5 seconds left on the game clock, TN shoots misses 2 players (one each team) go for the ball with 1 second on the clock, either could have been called for a foul but it should have been a NO CALL and go to overtime instead Baylor player called for the foul TN got 2 free-throws and won going to the FF!
With WBB, Murphy's Law, "If anything can go wrong it will", applies to the referees!
I'm sorry people I can't stomach incompetence, either in myself or other people and WBB refs IMHO are usually incompetent!

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A good ref will never anticipate a foul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom