In defense of ONO | The Boneyard

In defense of ONO

Reaction Score
I have found ONO's performance very frustrating for all the reasons that have been stated elsewhere. How can someone with her talent and size miss so many shots and get pushed around so easily? And what does Geno think he accomplishes by sitting her? He risks breaking whatever confidence she has. On and on it goes in my mind. Now, late at night it occurred to me that it feels like I have experienced this before.

January 5, 2013. Notre Dame at UConn. (Dee Kantner was also the head ref) Final score: ND 73 UConn 72. The Irish led by 2 at the half, 38-36. The loss was the first for UConn after 12 wins. They dropped from first in the poll to 3rd and the defending champions from Baylor assumed No 1 as a result of the loss. I haven't the news reports nor Geno's post game comments but I'll guess he got questioned about Stewart's less than spectacular performance and the fact that he benched her for significant stretches of the game.

Stewart scored 10 pts in the loss. Her line? 5-16 fgs 0-4 3pt 0-1 ft 9 rb 0 assists 4 to 6 blocks 22 minutes.
Of course she was a freshman. But the look of confusion and the frustration of Geno were very much like we see this year with ONO.

I am in no way equating the 2 players but the stats, the result, the fact that it was the first loss of the season makes it seem like deja vous "all over again".

Reaction Score
Auriemma has described Ono as an enigma and I have to agree. Just an observation from afar but I can’t think of another player ever who shoots foul and jump shots with arms extended over the head and layups from at or below the shoulder. She is a center/rim protector on defense but really not a low post offensive player. Yes, she has some success there but really due to her height, not a low post game per se.
As for building or breaking down confidence, you really have to know the individual as to gauge the effect of decisions made. Was it confidence building to continue to have her play as poorly as she was? Again, from a coaching perspective you try to discern if a player not getting results is physical, i.e. the ball just not going in or is it something other than that; for example, being sick or an injury that seemed minor but turns out to effect performance. There are always a myriad of possibilities. It is a pretty fair assumption Auriemma and Dailey know what they are doing; that however obviously does not guarantee the desired results.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Olivia has to get Physically and Mentally Stronger. She has to be able make baskets at a more consistent rate when there's contact and be stronger mentally that I can compete against physical players. The other night, when she didn't have success scoring she let it impact the other parts of her game. As Geno has said if you're not getting points, do something else to help the team. From Geno's perspective Olivia wasn't helping the team in any facet of the game. Thus the benching for the 4th Quarter. I do wish Geno had put Olivia back into the game when Baylor got a 6-8 point lead down the stretch to see what Olivia would have done.

Reaction Score
Was it confidence building to continue to have her play as poorly as she was?

Bingo. I was wondering if that was a significant reason for the benching, given that Liv was not contributing much if anything.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If this is Defense, I would hate to see the prosecution. :rolleyes:

My defense. Going up against a DPOY level center (even if not in top form, her brain is still functioning) and a tough minded team that focused on clogging up the middle.

Reaction Score
Olivia has to get Physically and Mentally Stronger. She has to be able make baskets at a more consistent rate when there's contact and be stronger mentally that I can compete against physical players. The other night, when she didn't have success scoring she let it impact the other parts of her game. As Geno has said if you're not getting points, do something else to help the team. From Geno's perspective Olivia wasn't helping the team in any facet of the game. Thus the benching for the 4th Quarter. I do wish Geno had put Olivia back into the game when Baylor got a 6-8 point lead down the stretch to see what Olivia would have done.
@Wbbfan1 think we mostly agree. Getting physically stronger? She's been working that for a year plus.
When Baylor took away her scoring and rebounding what then was she supposed to do? Run Point? She is limited in what she can do. She played defense to the extent the Baylor crowd allowed. Megan, Danger, CW in the 4th were denied what they usually do. Yes, something had to be done. My belief is you learn little sitting --real or imagined players feel they are punished sitting on the bench. Teach, put her back in and repeat. So, she doesn't do more than she did--you've lost nothing. Teach Teach. Olivia is above all Talented, Intelligent, a quick learner, has great desire to succeed, will follow instructions as far as the opponents and her abilities allow. The failures around Olivia were not those of Olivia. When a student fails to learn don't look to the student first. One teaching method does not fits all.
The Baylor loss was not the end of UConns world. Uconn shall be in the FF. But before then a lot of learning and teaching must be and shall be done--for EVERYONE around that team.

Reaction Score
If this is Defense, I would hate to see the prosecution. :rolleyes:

My defense. Going up against a DPOY level center (even if not in top form, her brain is still functioning) and a tough minded team that focused on clogging up the middle.
Don't give a lot of credit to just the player--Mulkey and staff came up with an excellent game plan and with their talented team executed it well. Yet that bench beyond 7 didn't help much. Fault of the bench?? Hell no.

Reaction Score
Auriemma has described Ono as an enigma and I have to agree. Just an observation from afar but I can’t think of another player ever who shoots foul and jump shots with arms extended over the head and layups from at or below the shoulder. She is a center/rim protector on defense but really not a low post offensive player. Yes, she has some success there but really due to her height, not a low post game per se.
As for building or breaking down confidence, you really have to know the individual as to gauge the effect of decisions made. Was it confidence building to continue to have her play as poorly as she was? Again, from a coaching perspective you try to discern if a player not getting results is physical, i.e. the ball just not going in or is it something other than that; for example, being sick or an injury that seemed minor but turns out to effect performance. There are always a myriad of possibilities. It is a pretty fair assumption Auriemma and Dailey know what they are doing; that however obviously does not guarantee the desired results.
Even Pavlov taught dogs to respond. The habits you speak of are breakable but not overnight. She has had the same defect against tiny teams but they don't show as much. All posts I have ever known were, to start, screamed at;; Dont bring the ball down keep it up----to pass, to shoot keep it up.
We must remember Baylors troops were tall and the ball below or above her head was easily accessible by Baylor. Sometimes Fans have to accept Size and Talent and good coaching can overcome really good players and world class coaches.

Reaction Score
Even Pavlov taught dogs to respond. The habits you speak of are breakable but not overnight. She has had the same defect against tiny teams but they don't show as much. All posts I have ever known were, to start, screamed at;; Dont bring the ball down keep it up----to pass, to shoot keep it up.
We must remember Baylors troops were tall and the ball below or above her head was easily accessible by Baylor. Sometimes Fans have to accept Size and Talent and good coaching can overcome really good players and world class coaches.
Live needs more shot selections, and practice on using the backboard better for easy shots/layups.

Reaction Score
To second guess Geno on this board can be suicidal and I’m sure Geno had his reasons, but I can’t help but believe leaving ONO out of the 4thQ was more of a negative than a positive. At the start of the fourth quarter we were one point behind. Would her presence have made a difference in the final result , probably not, but we’ll never know and the decision, to do so, cannot help but be fairly questioned—even though our local sports media would never, to any degree, dare doing so.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As Liv ages she'll naturally get stronger, allowing her to push through the hail of arms and torso's preventing her shots. However what will also come is her variety around the hoop. I've stated time and again, and others have often noted as well, Liv wants to drop her right leg. All of her offensive moves are a right leg drop. As I also stated well before the Baylor game once better players over play her right shoulder and she gets a few shots smacked back into her face she'll realize she needs to go to something else. In time she will fake to her right and drop that left leg...and then vice versa. She will learn a better right drop with an up and under, then step to the basket over her left. She will learn to shoot her layup from up high. She will develop a better mid range shot.

The problem at lower levels is kids will continually go with what works, and unless they are challenged by coaches and better competition they won't see a need to vary their game. When they're young they don't see the need for better diet, intensive skill practice or intensive the weight room work, and some see any criticism as negative criticism. Geno has said many times before that today's kids think they're all Michael and Kevin and most don't even know how to do a proper drop step. Now, I'm certain Geno and staff have pounded this stuff into Liv's head, but she needed to see for herself that the stuff she's been doing doesn't always work at this level, and it won't work at the next. You have to change things up. She needed to see that practice is where you learn a skill, games are where you apply them. There are no short cuts. I still have faith that the Liv we saw against Baylor will be a different Liv if these two teams play again in March. To paraphrase Geno, sometimes you have to get smacked around before you learn how to duck and counter.

As for taking Liv out and keeping her out, as a coach that knows he's headed for The Boogie Geno plays the long game. As Geno has said before, and again I paraphrase, sometimes the bench is your best teacher.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To second guess Geno on this board can be suicidal and I’m sure Geno had his reasons, but I can’t help but believe leaving ONO out of the 4thQ was more of a negative than a positive. At the start of the fourth quarter we were one point behind. Would her presence have made a difference in the final result , probably not, but we’ll never know and the decision, to do so, cannot help but be fairly questioned—even though our local sports media would never, to any degree, dare doing so.
Geno has made mistakes in the past. He's admitted as much. Fans have noted it. He's stubborn. Usually he can figure things out during a game and it's rare he's outcoached, but he takes the long view during the season...

It goes back to Geno NOT coaching to win a game, but to prepare the team for the post season. Liv was flat out terrible. It's easy to armchair QB on Monday morning, so to speak, and second guess. But among other things, I would guess this is part of the message:

"Liv - even tho you played terribly for 3 quarters, the team was still in the game. You have to improve on the areas we need you to improve on. THIS is what happens when we have no post player in the game (4th quarter). Our guards and wings simply got tired. You need to step up. Practice harder. Listen to what we tell you to improve on, take the pressure off the guards to score ALL the points... etc etc".

I suspect/hope message received. I'm sure there was more to it than what I just guessed, but in a way I think Geno was glad we lost the game. He commented (this is an actual quote, more or less) "I told the team they aren't the #1 team in the country. I will tell them when I think they are the #1 team in the country". I don't think he ever WANTS to lose a game, but as far as losses go, this was a good one to expose things we need to work on.

Coaches can tell the players over and over again in practice what they need to improve on and why, but unless they get totally exposed in a game, like vs. Baylor, sometimes the players think "yeah right, coach :rolleyes:". Hopefully message received!

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
@EricLA - An excellent perspective and analysis.

In another thread, I posted about that 4th quarter and the need for interior defense, a post presence and rebounding the ball as our best/only option to win the game.

My thoughts at the time were that it looked like Geno was trying to lose the game.

I think you may have the real explanation.

Really excellent post, Thanks!

Reaction Score
As Liv ages she'll naturally get stronger, allowing her to push through the hail of arms and torso's preventing her shots. However what will also come is her variety around the hoop. I've stated time and again, and others have often noted as well, Liv wants to drop her right leg. All of her offensive moves are a right leg drop. As I also stated well before the Baylor game once better players over play her right shoulder and she gets a few shots smacked back into her face she'll realize she needs to go to something else. In time she will fake to her right and drop that left leg...and then vice versa. She will learn a better right drop with an up and under, then step to the basket over her left. She will learn to shoot her layup from up high. She will develop a better mid range shot.

The problem at lower levels is kids will continually go with what works, and unless they are challenged by coaches and better competition they won't see a need to vary their game. When they're young they don't see the need for better diet, intensive skill practice or intensive the weight room work, and some see any criticism as negative criticism. Geno has said many times before that today's kids think they're all Michael and Kevin and most don't even know how to do a proper drop step. Now, I'm certain Geno and staff have pounded this stuff into Liv's head, but she needed to see for herself that the stuff she's been doing doesn't always work at this level, and it won't work at the next. You have to change things up. She needed to see that practice is where you learn a skill, games are where you apply them. There are no short cuts. I still have faith that the Liv we saw against Baylor will be a different Liv if these two teams play again in March. To paraphrase Geno, sometimes you have to get smacked around before you learn how to duck and counter.

As for taking Liv out and keeping her out, as a coach that knows he's headed for The Boogie Geno plays the long game. As Geno has said before, and again I paraphrase, sometimes the bench is your best teacher.
In some ways I am and in some ways I’m not surprised at her relative lack of offensive development. Considering her HS background, besides losing most of a full year due to the knee injury it doesn’t appear to me that she got much fundamental coaching. So UConn’s staff was kind of starting at ground zero and teaching footwork and body motions to tall kids in more challenging than shorter ones. However I am surprised that the coaches haven’t been able to produce more with such a bright and coordinated kid in a year and a half although some of that falls on her also. IMO, the best thing she could do on her own this summer would be to hook up with a skills trainer for a month of work with few if any games to slow her progress and then test it against some competition before coming back to campus. Maybe Collier’s guy might be available, I think he’d be great for her.

Reaction Score

she helps the team a whole lot by just standing in the lane with her arms in the air...................I doubt I'm the only one that has noticed how opponents drive the lane with complete freedom the moment she's off the court...........:rolleyes:.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In some ways I am and in some ways I’m not surprised at her relative lack of offensive development. Considering her HS background, besides losing most of a full year due to the knee injury it doesn’t appear to me that she got much fundamental coaching. So UConn’s staff was kind of starting at ground zero and teaching footwork and body motions to tall kids in more challenging than shorter ones. However I am surprised that the coaches haven’t been able to produce more with such a bright and coordinated kid in a year and a half although some of that falls on her also. IMO, the best thing she could do on her own this summer would be to hook up with a skills trainer for a month of work with few if any games to slow her progress and then test it against some competition before coming back to campus. Maybe Collier’s guy might be available, I think he’d be great for her.
Well, more than once Geno has said she doesn't like to practice, and as I've said, that's where you learn the skills you can apply in a game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
On Olivia: As John Wayne would say: She needs to show "TRUE GRIT."

Reaction Score
It wasn't Liv's fault that Boston went to S.C. That is on the coach and recruiting staff. You cant teach bulk....

Reaction Score
Liv is fine. She just got outplayed by a more experienced Cox and Baylor team. Maybe if she had help with someone else on her team being over 6’1 things could’ve been a lot different. But I liked her aggression going to the basket taking open shots the minutes she was in the game. Yes she’s thin but do y’all remember how Tina Charles destroyed BG and Kim kept her in the game and told her to take it ( the work TC was giving her). Well I think Geno should of kept her in to show her how badly she played but she is only a sophomore So by the time she’s a sr. she’ll be doing the same thing to a freshman/sophomore. But @Littlemin she misses so many layups because she shoots from her stomach. Surprise coaching staff haven’t work on that.

Reaction Score
Liv is fine. She just got outplayed by a more experienced Cox and Baylor team. Maybe if she had help with someone else on her team being over 6’1 things could’ve been a lot different. But I liked her aggression going to the basket taking open shots the minutes she was in the game. Yes she’s thin but do y’all remember how Tina Charles destroyed BG and Kim kept her in the game and told her to take it ( the work TC was giving her). Well I think Geno should of kept her in to show her how badly she played but she is only a sophomore So by the time she’s a sr. she’ll be doing the same thing to a freshman/sophomore. But @Littlemin she misses so many layups because she shoots from her stomach. Surprise coaching staff haven’t work on that.
I have to believe they have; the problem is by the time players get to this level they have played a ton of games and bad habits are ingrained muscle memory, almost unconscious reflexive actions. Aubrey has the same bring the ball down to the waist timing mechanism.

Reaction Score
A bit surprised CD isn’t getting her to diversify things a bit down low.. A bit of a drop step, ball fake, head and/or shoulder fake, then back the other way or step back and shoot the little 8 footer; get the defender of her feet, something to change it up a bit but maybe that’s a work in progress?

Reaction Score
A bit surprised CD isn’t getting her to diversify things a bit down low.. A bit of a drop step, ball fake, head and/or shoulder fake, then back the other way or step back and shoot the little 8 footer; get the defender of her feet, something to change it up a bit but maybe that’s a work in progress?
A baby hook would help immensely

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom