OT: - IN case you didn’t know (So Carolina) | The Boneyard

OT: IN case you didn’t know (So Carolina)

Reaction Score
The second ranked point guard in the 2021 class announced she will attend South Carolina. Raven "Hollywood" Johnson. Did I get the name right? At any rate the general wbb board recruiting thread addresses this.

UConn and SC should have some ferocious games in the coming years.

Reaction Score
Yawn. Heard the same thing about Aja Wilson for four years and look how that turned out. If UConn hadn't tripped over a wrinkle in that Mississippi rug SC wouldn't have won that first ring. And joining the Olympic squad to beat us doesn't count.

Reaction Score
Dawn has recruited some good talent and there is no reason to think she is a second coming of Holly. UConn will have some seriously good teams over the next few years. I want to see them play other teams that can challenge them and SC should be one that can.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Yawn. Heard the same thing about Aja Wilson for four years and look how that turned out. If UConn hadn't tripped over a wrinkle in that Mississippi rug SC wouldn't have won that first ring. And joining the Olympic squad to beat us doesn't count.
I looked at the record and the record says South Carolina won the 2017 championship and it does not mention "because UCONN lost to Miss St." They were the last team standing just like the 11 championships that UCONN won....there is no difference between any of UCONN's national titles and South Carolina's national titles...they both won each in the final game....they were the last teams standing. That's how that works you know...right...?

Reaction Score
There is truth in
I looked at the record and the record says South Carolina won the 2017 championship and it does not mention "because UCONN lost to Miss St." They were the last team standing just like the 11 championships that UCONN won....there is no difference between any of UCONN's national titles and South Carolina's national titles...they both won each in the final game....they were the last teams standing. That's how that works you know...right...?

There is truth in what you say. Baylor/Griner getting beat in 2013 didn't hurt UConn. But I can't remember another of the eleven titles where UConn benefited from the No 1 team getting knocked out.
I'm a fan of the S Carolina program. But as you stated, there is a thread about this in the non-UConn sub-forum so to me it looks like you posted this second thread to sort of "rub it in". So in that vein I will remind you that doing something once is nice but unless you do it again quickly everyone in the country except S Car fans will call you a fluke, a one and done championship. LOL Some say it's harder to win the second title because of that.

What was Wilson's record vs UConn? Were her teams any good? Were S Car fans filled with optimism then much like you are now? Yup. Hope to see you guys soon.

Reaction Score
With equal talent -or near equal- it'll come down to coaching . . . I like our chances ;)
That we will never know. SC was a different team in the tournament than the one that loss by 12 in Storrs. Looking forward to seeing what the next 4 years have in store.

Reaction Score
There is truth in

There is truth in what you say. Baylor/Griner getting beat in 2013 didn't hurt UConn. But I can't remember another of the eleven titles where UConn benefited from the No 1 team getting knocked out.
I'm a fan of the S Carolina program. But as you stated, there is a thread about this in the non-UConn sub-forum so to me it looks like you posted this second thread to sort of "rub it in". So in that vein I will remind you that doing something once is nice but unless you do it again quickly everyone in the country except S Car fans will call you a fluke, a one and done championship. LOL Some say it's harder to win the second title because of that.

What was Wilson's record vs UConn? Were her teams any good? Were S Car fans filled with optimism then much like you are now? Yup. Hope to see you guys soon.

A UConn fan actually started the thread. None of Dawn teams with A'ja were favored against UConn. The 2017 team was close in talent but they loss by 12 on UConn home court but won the title.

Reaction Score

I'm a huge UCONN fan but you are crazy to think the Wilson pickup is similar vs. what they are doing now. Back then we had arguably the greatest WCBB player of all-time. You do realize right now South Carolina has a preseason ranking of number 1, right? And they beat us pretty good this past year. They lost two players we lost two. They are ranked ahead of us. Before Wilson's senior year when were they ever ranked ahead of UCONN?

I'll say this as well: Dawn and Geno remain cool with each other. Unlike when Muffett went off-the-wall several years ago.

***UCONN needs Fudd.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with competition. The fact that Baylor, South Carolina and Oregon have gotten so much better has, whether you want to believe it or not, lit a fire under Geno that had been sort of simmering. It is no coincidence that our next few classes coming in are among the best in the country and we are not done. Players want to believe that their presence on the court will make a difference. A lot of young ladies have been told by the people recruiting them that they could be the difference in Uconn monopolizing National Championships and they buy into that. Dawn is a great coach but building a program and then keeping it in contention over the next several years are different animals.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge UCONN fan but you are crazy to think the Wilson pickup is similar vs. what they are doing now. Back then we had arguably the greatest WCBB player of all-time. You do realize right now South Carolina has a preseason ranking of number 1, right? And they beat us pretty good this past year. They lost two players we lost two. They are ranked ahead of us. Before Wilson's senior year when were they ever ranked ahead of UCONN?

I'll say this as well: Dawn and Geno remain cool with each other. Unlike when Muffett went off-the-wall several years ago.

***UCONN needs Fudd.
Thank you for mentioning Fudd. I hadn't read her name in a post since 4 pm.

Reaction Score
Competition is good. Good for women's basketball in general, good for the players to get the chance to compete against other really good players, good for fans to get to see quality, exciting games. Do I want to see UConn go 35 and 0? You bet. Do I want to watch endless games where we win by 35 or more? That gets boring. I want to have our players in situations where they have to dig deep and play like champions in order to get the W. What's better, being up 25 at half or winning with .3 on the clock by draining a 3?

Of course we trend on the older side, so that huge adrenaline rush as the ball goes swish in the final tick may have some drawbacks.

Reaction Score
Competition is good. Good for women's basketball in general, good for the players to get the chance to compete against other really good players, good for fans to get to see quality, exciting games. Do I want to see UConn go 35 and 0? You bet. Do I want to watch endless games where we win by 35 or more? That gets boring. I want to have our players in situations where they have to dig deep and play like champions in order to get the W. What's better, being up 25 at half or winning with .3 on the clock by draining a 3?

Of course we trend on the older side, so that huge adrenaline rush as the ball goes swish in the final tick may have some drawbacks.

I doesn't get boring for me. I love to watch my team play to a certain level and crushing the opposing team. Yes close games are exciting but some close games are also unwatchable. For me, that 09-10 championship game was an example of something unwatchable. I didn't care the game was close/ undecided at halftime. That was one ugly game.

And the way Rutgers used to play. They'd Drag down the competition to play 55-54 basketball. Those type of games are more like going through a moment in time where I'm sick throughout. Then when it's over I'm relieved I don't have to ever watch that game ever again on replay even if they won.

Reaction Score

***UCONN needs Fudd.

when were they ever ranked ahead of UCONN? - 2014-15. Right after Stanford broke the 100 whatever game winning streak in the second week of the season. And the Gamecock fans came over and explained why it was completely justified and also how it would be confirmed when they played us. They were bigger and deeper and our short bench would wear down to their up tempo game. I remember it was the S Car players grabbing their shorts. UConn could play real fast that year. The matchup that season ended the myth that S car was on UConn's level.

I'm actually glad that talent is going to a program with a coach that knows how to use it and develop it, unlike some others.

Reaction Score
when were they ever ranked ahead of UCONN? - 2014-15. Right after Stanford broke the 100 whatever game winning streak in the second week of the season. And the Gamecock fans came over and explained why it was completely justified and also how it would be confirmed when they played us. They were bigger and deeper and our short bench would wear down to their up tempo game. I remember it was the S Car players grabbing their shorts. UConn could play real fast that year. The matchup that season ended the myth that S car was on UConn's level.

I'm actually glad that talent is going to a program with a coach that knows how to use it and develop it, unlike some others.

Wow I didn't know that.

Reaction Score

Thanks for keeping me in mind!!!!
My favorite Super Bowl was Da' Bears (with Ditka & the "super Bowl Shuffle) crushing the Patriots BTB - Before Tom Brady!
It's also probably why I am a fan of UCONN WBB. I started tracking the cumulative totals of margin of victory in one NCAA tournament, and now the top six are UCONN. Before, 1995 the Evil Orange Empire had the lock.... But now all is right with the world of WCBB.

Reaction Score
Have a peek. Heh heh heh

Thanks!!!!
I didn't remember the part about Tuck & Stewie being benched the game before. Mo' Jefferson went to afterburners for many layups, KML broke the ankles of her defender and stepped back to drain a three, and my favorite was the fifth block by Stewie with Tuck blocking the way to the basket.
Definitely a thing of beauty! Destroying the #1 team in the land (when #2) and NOT LOOKING BACK on the way to National Championship #10....and still counting (beyond #11 soon)

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
There is truth in

The difference was....Aja was a great player surrounded by good players...UCONN seemed to always have a great player surrounded by other great players. South Carolina had that for the first time last year. UCONN in past years would have had Boston, Cooke and maybe Beal....that's the way they rolled during their dominance. Some of the other schools are starting to pour money into their women's programs and it has leveled the playing field. The UCONN, and before them Tennessee dominance may be a thing of the past.

Reaction Score
Thanks!!!!
I didn't remember the part about Tuck & Stewie being benched the game before. Mo' Jefferson went to afterburners for many layups, KML broke the ankles of her defender and stepped back to drain a three, and my favorite was the fifth block by Stewie with Tuck blocking the way to the basket.
Definitely a thing of beauty! Destroying the #1 team in the land (when #2) and NOT LOOKING BACK on the way to National Championship #10....and still counting (beyond #11 soon)

Was at that game in good seats. Classic UConn game. Place was packed and crowd was on fire. UConn came to play. South Carolina didn’t have a chance. You could just see in their eyes they weren’t ready to play against that kind of talent and in that kind of atmosphere.

Reaction Score
Was at that game in good seats. Classic UConn game. Place was packed and crowd was on fire. UConn came to play. South Carolina didn’t have a chance. You could just see in their eyes they weren’t ready to play against that kind of talent and in that kind of atmosphere.
It was close until about 11 minutes left in the first half, and then the romp began....

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Am I wrong to think that Geno might pause before recruiting a player-- especially a point guard-- nicknamed "Hollywood"? To be sure, there is more than a little hollywood in Buecker's "performances" on the court, but she hasn't yet given herself a title.

Reaction Score
The second ranked point guard in the 2021 class announced she will attend South Carolina. Raven "Hollywood" Johnson. Did I get the name right? At any rate the general wbb board recruiting thread addresses this.

UConn and SC should have some ferocious games in the coming years.

ESPN ranks four guards ahead of her in the '21 class ............I haven;t seen enough of her to make a judgement but Azzi Fudd she ain't..........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom