OT: - IN case you didn’t know (So Carolina) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: IN case you didn’t know (So Carolina)

Reaction Score
I saw the article about the signing and passed it on without doing any homework. I expected a bunch of comments on how she was ranked by the various ranking outlets. Surprisingly, Charlieball is the first. Thanks!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ESPN ranks four guards ahead of her in the '21 class ............I haven;t seen enough of her to make a judgement but Azzi Fudd she ain't..........
She may not be Azzi Fudd but since you are quoting the ESPN ranking, she is ranked ahead of both the '21 guards currently committed to UCONN. She is also the 4th top 30 player signed by Dawn in this class.
It is a good pickup. Rivers is really the one you should be comparing to Azzi not Johnson.

Reaction Score
She may not be Azzi Fudd but since you are quoting the ESPN ranking, she is ranked ahead of both the '21 guards currently committed to UCONN. She is also the 4th top 30 player signed by Dawn in this class.
It is a good pickup. Rivers is really the one you should be comparing to Azzi not Johnson.

the op made it sound like UConn might as well not even bother to suite up due to this miraculous pick up............we've seen Dawn do a lot with great talent and we've seen Dawn do less with great talent............there are no sure things.............unless ofcourse Uonn gets Fudd to team with PB and then I don't really care what players are on the opposing team.............:rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
the op made it sound like UConn might as well not even bother to suite up due to this miraculous pick up............we've seen Dawn do a lot with great talent and we've seen Dawn do less with great talent............there are no sure things.............unless of course Uonn gets Fudd to team with PB and then I don't really care what players are on the opposing team.............:rolleyes:
I didn't get that from the op. In fact what @and one said was:
"UConn and SC should have some ferocious games in the coming years."
I agree. Either way I'm sure SC is not going to be scared of UCONN even with Paige & Azzzi until UCONN gets someone who can guard Boston.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
the op made it sound like UConn might as well not even bother to suite up due to this miraculous pick up............we've seen Dawn do a lot with great talent and we've seen Dawn do less with great talent............there are no sure things.............unless ofcourse Uonn gets Fudd to team with PB and then I don't really care what players are on the opposing team.............:rolleyes:
Dawn has always had less talent than her record indicated. She always did better with less and I can not recall when she did less with more. Aja was one player....that is the only "great" player I have seen at South Carolina. They have has some very good players....but great...only Aja before the 2019 recruits. UCONN has had a treasure trove....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
SC will to be excellent going forward with their monster 2019 and 2021 recruiting classes. They were never favored against UCONN during A'ja's year. Those SC teams in all honesty were pretty weak offensively and lacked flow.

Those UCONN teams were also spectacular too, losing three games in 5 years, all on buzzer beaters. UCONN will still be among the title favorites but it doesn't seem likely that they'll be in another stratosphere like they were from 2014-2018.

SC also has the premier post player in the country right now in Boston for 3 more years. UCONN has Bueckers on deck who has a lot of hype, but whether she lives up to the billing from day 1 remains to be seen. Fudd also isn't a UCONN commit, so if she doesn't come I think the scales tip to SC's favor with the combination of Boston/Rivers who looks like the real deal as a wing.

Reaction Score
Dawn has always had less talent than her record indicated. She always did better with less and I can not recall when she did less with more. Aja was one player....that is the only "great" player I have seen at South Carolina. They have has some very good players....but great...only Aja before the 2019 recruits. UCONN has had a treasure trove....

I always have considered Dawn a great motivator, not sure she is a great x's and o's coach................a few have said the same of Geno............anybody have thoughts on this?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I always have considered Dawn a great motivator, not sure she is a great x's and o's coach................a few have said the same of Geno............anybody have thoughts on this?
Even if they were equally good at motivating Geno has been doing it longer.
Dawn's Xs & Os are definitely not on the same level as Geno-NOBODY is.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No matter how much talent SC is stockpiling (and it is coming by the bushel) , they will not look like the beautiful UConn product of unselfish pass first cut/screen/move without the ball good shooting team players we adore. They will still have the SEC bloodlines of bully ball, physically dominant rebounding and one-one drives to the basket. With enough talent, that is enough to win but not my cup of tea.

Reaction Score
No matter how much talent SC is stockpiling (and it is coming by the bushel) , they will not look like the beautiful UConn product of unselfish pass first cut/screen/move without the ball good shooting team players we adore. They will still have the SEC bloodlines of bully ball, physically dominant rebounding and one-one drives to the basket. With enough talent, that is enough to win but not my cup of tea.
Not sure why some disparage the current and future SC teams. Whether we like it our not, over the past few years they have had a top team with UConn a few steps below. Predict SC will be #1 team the upcoming 2 years with UConn dominate the 2+ years after.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would trade a win for style of play any day of the week. Past UCONN teams have provided a style of play which many of us enjoyed but there was nothing beautiful about that last matchup with SC. That was a decisive win by SC and UCONN lost the two best players from that matchup.

Reaction Score
And then it was like the waves at the shore during a storm. Relentless. When KML put her defender on the ground and hit a 3 I thought the ceiling tiles might fall from the roof.

Was that the play where it looked at first that KML pushed off but a replay showed that a S Car defender had grabbed & held her left wrist. KML removed the hand and hit a killer 3.

Reaction Score
SC will to be excellent going forward with their monster 2019 and 2021 recruiting classes. They were never favored against UCONN during A'ja's year. Those SC teams in all honesty were pretty weak offensively and lacked flow.

Those UCONN teams were also spectacular too, losing three games in 5 years, all on buzzer beaters. UCONN will still be among the title favorites but it doesn't seem likely that they'll be in another stratosphere like they were from 2014-2018.

SC also has the premier post player in the country right now in Boston for 3 more years. UCONN has Bueckers on deck who has a lot of hype, but whether she lives up to the billing from day 1 remains to be seen. Fudd also isn't a UCONN commit, so if she doesn't come I think the scales tip to SC's favor with the combination of Boston/Rivers who looks like the real deal as a wing.

So Rivers looks like the real deal but Bueckers needs to live up to her billing? Your slip is showing.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So Rivers looks like the real deal but Bueckers needs to live up to her billing? Your slip is showing.

I think both will be excellent....my comment on Paige was in regards to next year, where she likely is going to come off the bench as a freshman PG. I think she definitely is going to be the real deal but I also thought similarly about Horston who had some big struggles as a freshman PG. Long term I think Paige is going to be a star, and she might be a star from the get go.

The last comment was long term thinking as Rivers/Boston look like a dangerous combo that will be hard for UCONN to counter in 2022-23. I don't see a player from UCONN's 2019-2021 recruiting classes that will pack a 1-2 punch alongside Bueckers like SC potentially has in Rivers/Boston. Time will tell.

Both squads look absolutely loaded for the next several years along with Stanford and Baylor (among others). UCONN is still hoarding a ridiculous number of top recruits but I think there will continue to be more parity in the years to come. I don't see UCONN repeating the stretch they had from 2013-2018, but I could be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was that the play where it looked at first that KML pushed off but a replay showed that a S Car defender had grabbed & held her left wrist. KML removed the hand and hit a killer 3.

Yes, that’s the one.

Reaction Score
Pretty good recruiting moves by coach Dawn. South Carolina in that 2021 group has some nice pieces. a 6 foot two way player in Saniya Rivers. And a solid (6'3") post player in Sania Feagin. A lot just depends on how they develop their skills within the program. Gonna be a fun four years.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, I have been intentionally using, "the player that shall not be named." My mistake.... ; )

I haven't seen any threads with her name in the title for more than a week. Any updates on Her Majesty?

I don't think we Gamecocks have ever been a serious contender with her but her silence has kept a THIN sliver of hope alive. Dawn does still have a scholly in her pocket, but I'm 99.9% certain our 2021 class is fini. Personally, I believe it's UCONN with the lead followed by Maryland then ND but i really don't know anything.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any threads with her name in the title for more than a week. Any updates on Her Majesty?

I don't think we Gamecocks have ever been a serious contender with her but her silence has kept a THIN sliver of hope alive. Dawn does still have a scholly in her pocket, but I'm 99.9% certain our 2021 class is fini. Personally, I believe it's UCONN with the lead followed by Maryland then ND but i really don't know anything.

I think Maryland has a better chance than people think...

Reaction Score

LOL Could you expand on your thinking? And also please tell us what people you refer to?

Maryland always does well recruiting athletes. My brilliant nephew picked Maryland for a school in part because of their athletic programs. It's the school I think has the best shot for Fudd .... other than UConn. Why? Geography and Brenda. She must have a great sales pitch. But having the best shot doesn't mean having a good shot.

I remember that UConn fans worried about all the S Car games Wilson attended. I know Fudd has been to several UConn games over the last few years. Anyone know how many MD games she's been to? Seeing how much closer she is to MD I'd expect twice or three times more.

Reaction Score

Oh, I think they have a great chance being so close to home in these times of pandemic and civil unrest. Momma's gonna' want to keep her close. I would too as a parent. But, the allure of playing for THE premier program - with Paige - is big to me.

Reaction Score
Oh, I think they have a great chance being so close to home in these times of pandemic and civil unrest. Momma's gonna' want to keep her close. I would too as a parent. But, the allure of playing for THE premier program - with Paige - is big to me.

I'm banking on the fact that the parents are who they are and saying she wants "to be the best I can be". Now that's not an uncommon thing to hear but a very high % of No 1's that say that first pick UConn . UConn offers a fine education but the Fudd family knows that her future is on the court and UConn will push her and best get her ready to step into the pros.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm banking on the fact that the parents are who they are and saying she wants "to be the best I can be". Now that's not an uncommon thing to hear but a very high % of No 1's that say that first pick UConn . UConn offers a fine education but the Fudd family knows that her future is on the court and UConn will push her and best get her ready to step into the pros.

First Round WNBA Selections through 2019
1Connecticut (Same Coach)25
2Tennessee (old Coach, faded glory)15
3Stanford (same coach)12
4Duke (coach on a hotseat)11
5Notre Dame (Brand new coach)10
6North Carolina (several coaches)9
7Baylor (same coach)8
7Georgia (old coach, faded glory)8
7Maryland (same coach)8
10LSU (old coach, faded glory)7
10Rutgers don't know7
10South Carolina (Same Coach)7

Add 2 for South Carolina, one for UConn and one for Baylor. oh yeah. 3 for Oregon.

I think she can realize her future under any of five coaches at UConn, Stanford, Baylor, Maryland or Scar (and probably Kelly Graves at Oregon as well with three in 2020.) Notre Dame??????????? we'll see.

Yeah, Geno is the king but the other four or so have proven that they can get her there.

(but I still put our chances extremely low and don't see her heading West to Waco, Palo Alto or Eugene)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom