In a nutshell... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

In a nutshell...

Reaction Score
I love it when the opposition starts with, "If you disagree with me, you have no sense." Brilliant counter point.
KO had ZERO to do with making Shabazz the player he became. Or Giffey, or DD, or Boatright. Calhoun chose the players. Calhoun broke them in and trained them. Ollie had them for 1 year prior to the championship season. Not long enough to infect them, apparently. Believe what you want. If AB doesn't hit that 3, there is ZERO doubt that Ollie was a complete bust. He didn't out coach St. Joes - he got lucky that he didn't cost us the game. The players won the NC. Not Ollie. He was along for the ride. I didn't want to believe it at first, but it's clear as day in the rear view mirror - the 2014 squad won in spite of Ollie, not because of him. He's awful. He's been awful from day one. The Calhoun momentum earned the 4th natty, not Ollie's coaching. When the momentum ran out, so did the success.

In short, if you haven't been paying attention - immediately upon the exhaustion of the Calhoun momentum the program tanked and has sucked since.

It's Ollie. It's always been Ollie. He may be the worst coach in Div. 1. Completely serious when I say that.

That makes the 2014 team's achievement even more impressive.
Shabazz said, "this is what happens what you ban us." The motivation came from within.

Ollie is not a head coach. At any level. Period.
This is business. Let's get on with it.
I agree with much of your post. But, I do think KO served as an amazing mentor and motivator and that had something to do with the national championship. That said, being an amazing mentor does not amount to being a high-level Division I basketball coach.

Reaction Score
The problem bas been keeping a team together and player development. There has been some talent on each team during Ollie's time here. It's puzzling and frustrating as heck.

Reaction Score
So you don’t think coach k can get recruits to come to duke ?? Better yet do you feel duke would not get top recruits if capel left ??
K recruited very well prior to Capel coming. It got kicked up several notches since however. In the last 7 years, they’ve brought in more talent (whether you measure in burger boys, top 10 talent, or lotto picks) than any other full decade in Duke history.

Reaction Score
How much of this is Ollie as opposed to the fact we play in a mid major conference. This was all inevitable. We just need to learn to change our expectations. UConn is a basketball school that is now playing in a mid major basketball conference.

How do you explain Cincinnati and several others improving their standing in the sport over the past five years if the league is the problem and why would WSU join the league if it's as bad as you say?
UConn used to dominate the Big East and holds the all-time record for wins in a season with 17, but the last regular season
championship they won was in 2005/2006 and that was a title shared with Villanova.
This season seems to actually be the latest in a ten year decline that was punctuated with two unexpected national championships

Reaction Score
I actually do. I'm willing to give another year to him because the potential returns far outweigh the risks in my mind. You have a guy that is fully vested in the program. If he can figure it out we will be in an enviable spot for years. Don't get me wrong, he is definitely an underdog right now. I think he will have to do some major soul searching this off season and next year because the writing is on the wall. He has to improve and he knows it.

Look at Jay Wright's first couple of years. I'm sure you can look at a whole bunch of different coaches' early records and you'll see the same thing. If Kevin Ollie can succeed here then the program is set for 20+ years. If we bring someone with no allegiance to the program we could be facing a turnstile head coaching spot and I feel that is just as bad as what we're going through now.

Some people may think that another year of these results will somehow bury the program forever. I just don't see it that way. If UCONN beat mich st and unc out in oregon the media would have been all over them. I don't get the feeling that we're on the brink of total anhilation because we aren't. If they win they will be instantly "relevant" again.

I understand where you're coming from and you have every right to be calling for KO's head. You can rightfully ask how will anything change next year. People grow and change, especially when faced with adversity. Maybe it's a long shot, but for the long run I think giving KO one more chance is worth the risk.

I was going to mention Mike Krzyzewski's first three years at Duke before you mentioned Wright. Coach K was 17-13, 10-17 and 11-17 and there was the same kind of clamoring for his head at Duke as there seems to be among many on this site right now. You're right that it would be nirvana if Ollie can keep the team together and make the big turnaround next year, but none of us have the crystal ball we need to make the right decision. I don't envy the AD.
The thing that bothers me the most is how fast the fans have fallen off the bandwagon. It's got to be frightening to UConn's Board and Administration. Bad for the budget but bad also because they're losing the spotlight the program once had. When I lived in the Northeast many of us were loyal fans during the bad Perno years and were overjoyed when the team started winning and became the national power we hoped we would be one day. We can only hope this dreadful period will end as well as the one thirty years ago.

Reaction Score
New Coach and everyone will be blaming Ollie for years and years when keep on sucking..

A top tier coach who can recruit is not walking thru the door folks. Ollie needs to go but your not getting any heavy hitter.. Dan Hurley will BOMB here big time !!!

Why would we want a big name? Was Calhoun a big name?
No, he wasn't, but he was a proven winner who knew how to run a program and that's all it takes in basketball. Especially at a school which has such a proud history and a fan base that was great until the recent past.

Reaction Score
Good god, we're hearing Ollie/Coach K comps.

Kill me.

Read the whole thing and understand why the comparison was made. It doesn't guarantee that Ollie will have the same success if he stays another year, but merely points out another coach who started similarly and also notes how difficult a decision the AD faces.

C

Chief00

I wish I could read the staff's recruiting notes on all of our players. I'd like to see the pros/cons and their assessment of development needs for each one. More importantly what they felt each one was going to bring to the Court in terms of expected contributions.

Sure we aren't competing well against the P5s for recruits but what did our Coaches see in this crop or what did they believe they were getting?

Lastly if their notes indicate there strategy and observations, and that has not changed then we will for awhile be a team with perpetual missing parts. Ollie always says he wants kids here who will buy into the UConn brand and culture. Well our culture and brand has diminished substantially and it looks like his recruits (i.e players) have adopted his new culture. Its all top-down.

Just saying this is Ollie's team/staff/players, brand and culture. Consequently (and sadly) this also is the new UConn.

The UConn culture that KO preaches is man to man defense; we played zone 95% of the game. Shame on us!

C

Chief00

I love it when the opposition starts with, "If you disagree with me, you have no sense." Brilliant counter point.
KO had ZERO to do with making Shabazz the player he became. Or Giffey, or DD, or Boatright. Calhoun chose the players. Calhoun broke them in and trained them. Ollie had them for 1 year prior to the championship season. Not long enough to infect them, apparently. Believe what you want. If AB doesn't hit that 3, there is ZERO doubt that Ollie was a complete bust. He didn't out coach St. Joes - he got lucky that he didn't cost us the game. The players won the NC. Not Ollie. He was along for the ride. I didn't want to believe it at first, but it's clear as day in the rear view mirror - the 2014 squad won in spite of Ollie, not because of him. He's awful. He's been awful from day one. The Calhoun momentum earned the 4th natty, not Ollie's coaching. When the momentum ran out, so did the success.

In short, if you haven't been paying attention - immediately upon the exhaustion of the Calhoun momentum the program tanked and has sucked since.

It's Ollie. It's always been Ollie. He may be the worst coach in Div. 1. Completely serious when I say that.

Shabazz said, "this is what happens what you ban us." The motivation came from within.

Quite frankly, the other factor was Calhoun attended every practice and game. Then the ego blew up like a balloon - Calhoun was no longer needed and stuff happened off the court and it wasn’t recruiting.

Reaction Score
Why would we want a big name? Was Calhoun a big name?
No, he wasn't, but he was a proven winner who knew how to run a program and that's all it takes in basketball. Especially at a school which has such a proud history and a fan base that was great until the recent past.

How many once in a lifetime HOF coaches do you think are going to come to UCONN snd rise from the ashes ???

And you think all of a sudden he is going to get Studs here he could not get at URI ??? Even if he could it would take 5 years. It took JC a while. The entitled fans here are not going to wait 5 years before demanding his head.. Many think Hurley is going to come here and we are going to be top 25 in a year..

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT !!!!

Reaction Score

Kill me.
K just got the #2 player yesterday for next year. I want KO gone because he can’t get good enough players and he can’t seem to coach but there’s no way on earth to compare these guys at this point. Just can’t win without the talent. And that’s also why our last 2 national championships are so remarkable because in comparison to the top ranked teams at the time we were such underdogs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Read the whole thing and understand why the comparison was made. It doesn't guarantee that Ollie will have the same success if he stays another year, but merely points out another coach who started similarly and also notes how difficult a decision the AD faces.
I bet anyone watching the early K teams didn't think that they were poorly coached.

Reaction Score

You didn't like the way I started that last post ... here's the NEXT idea I had:

YOU are an idiot.

I condemn you to go watch the 6 MM games of 2014 once again. All ... proved that Kevin Ollie can coach. Simple. That doesn't take much. The mess we have today is from his deficiencies in so many other things that go with running an elite Program. He is a good coach, in some specific circumstances. I refuse to take Fishy's opinion: he is lazy and doesn't work and doesn't like recruiting. I accept that he has failed to use the resources given to him by our culture and Coach Calhoun's legacy.

Further: what is abundantly frightening is the Fanbase. Gosh, really? Do you think Purdue abandoned Matt Painter in his 3 year lull after some initial success?

Reaction Score
New Coach and everyone will be blaming Ollie for years and years when keep on sucking..

A top tier coach who can recruit is not walking thru the door folks. Ollie needs to go but your not getting any heavy hitter.. Dan Hurley will BOMB here big time !!!
He's not bombing at RI and they're a much smaller school in a lesser league with Providence for competition in their own back yard. If Hurley can succeed at Rhode Island HE CAN SUCCEED HERE.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

This is a stupid take and you don’t know anything.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Kill me.

It’s just as exhausting as hearing Ollie compared to Calhoun, and realizing the same will be true of every coach to follow him.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how any UCONN fan could want Ollie back as head coach. He has done nothing that wasn't given to him by Calhoun.

He has the worst eye for talent, has no idea how to develop or put talented players in a position to succeed, and can't recruit well enough to hide his coaching deficiencies.

PS: Coach K doesn't need Capel to recruit nor would Capel be that successful recruiting outside of Duke. Its not that hard for the Ratface to recruit to Duke, its gone into insane overdrive with the one and done rule and K deciding to recruit and coach to that new reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom