In a nutshell... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In a nutshell...

C

Chief00

In many ways this team resembles the Perno teams with Earl Kelly as it all came down to being over matched and EK trying to generate offense when we fell behind all buy himself like Jalen is. EK had a better outside shot than Adams and those Perno teams were better than this one. Sad to say.
Good analogy. Enter Cliff his last season. Two pros if not for Earl’s off court issues.

Reaction Score
We're at the point where we can't afford to not fire Ollie. It doesn't matter what it takes.

The worst case scenario has been realized post-CR; we're in the bottom half of the AAC as a program, we have a coach who's in way over his head, attendance has plummeted and we're a punchline at the national level. We risked everything to be relevant in football and now we have one of the worst basketball programs in addition to an embarrassing football program.

In the five years we've been in the AAC I have never said we should drop football (either to FCS or completely) but it has to be done at this point as long as the Big East agrees to let us back in. Northeastern schools can thrive just fine without football. No one gives a flip about college football in these parts and no one ever will. We can either sign up to be an even worse version of Boston College for the next three decades or we can put our tails between our legs and try to become Villanova.

At this point, UConn is basically a women's basketball and field hockey school I guess we could hold out hope of being invited to join Rutgers as a doormat in the B10 in a few years. But for my money we should drop now to FCS in football and go back to the Big East for hoops if they would take us. The alternative is to watch the program slide further down into UMass-hood. (We may be there already. Columbia took us to OT this year.)

Reaction Score
Why doesn't everyone see what is so obvious?? I get the buyout sucks. But permanent damage is being done by letting this continue. The disparity between the two programs on the court today is STAGGERING. And let's keep in mind people.Nova is NOT a P5 team in a P5 conference. I would take what they have right now in a heartbeat. In a matter of years, UConn will be no more relevant than St Johns. The time to act is NOW.KO has been given enough time and the results are resoundingly underwhelming. The only message he is getting right now is that it's ok. Well it sure as hell ain't ok to me. My support, and dollars, are gone until someone wakes up and makes a change.
Who do you want to hire?

Reaction Score
Here's a little test. Flip around different stations on a CBB Saturday this season. Find another team that can't shoot a 3, play 3 pt defense, gets outrebounded repeatedly, turns the ball over with no one guarding them and struggles to score 60 points game in and game out.

You will have a hard time finding one.

Reaction Score
Is this drunken bacon jalapeno mac and cheese boy?

What a hero. I bet once the seats behind him started filling up, he rolled that sign up, tucked it away and it hasn't seen the light of day since.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
What a hero. I bet once the seats behind him started filling up, he rolled that sign up, tucked it away and it hasn't seen the light of day since.
XL staff actually confiscated it. He snuck it in by folding it up in his shirt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ollie recruited a bunch of high level injured/injury prone players that other schools were smart enough not to gamble on, think it's as simple as that.

That's the new spin? No sale.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Good analogy. Enter Cliff his last season. Two pros if not for Earl’s off court issues.
And Perno didn't give Cliff any real playing time until late in the year. I'm not even disgusted anymore, I'm just sad (not amused).

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Do you want Kevin Ollie back next season?

Can I answer yes but with a caveat?

If there are no transfers and Adams returns ( I'll accept larrier gone as a foregone conclusion based on preseason comments) and no recruiting decommits, I feel that KO should get next season with a full squad to show that he can do this.

If we have another off season like the last one and it proves it's not an abberation or some issues that were corrected that caused last seasons scalitoshow then the off court commitment stuff and internal team handling is an obvious repeating issue and he's got to go. Because if players won't stay and play for him for whatever reason, we will never have a chance to get better. Ever.

So my answer boils down to this. If off the court stuff rears its ugly head again, this year he has to go.

If not then he gets next year to be judged entirely on on court performance with a full healthy squad with some court time under their belts. If he can't coax 23-24 wins at minimum out of next year's squad ( as mentioned above, everyone back but larrier plus recruits) then he has to go then .

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If there are no transfers and Adams returns ( I'll accept larrier gone as a foregone conclusion based on preseason comments) and no recruiting decommits, I feel that KO should get next season with a full squad to show that he can do this.

If we have another off season like the last one and it proves it's not an abberation or some issues that were corrected that caused last seasons scalitoshow then the off court commitment stuff and internal team handling is an obvious repeating issue and he's got to go. Because if players won't stay and play for him for whatever reason, we will never have a chance to get better. Ever.

So my answer boils down to this. If off the court stuff rears its ugly head again, this year he has to go.

If not then he gets next year to be judged entirely on on court performance with a full healthy squad with some court time under their belts. If he can't coax 23-24 wins at minimum out of next year's squad ( as mentioned above, everyone back but larrier plus recruits) then he has to go then .

You could really sit through another year of this brand of basketball? I mean, this is tough to watch. Like bad.

Reaction Score

Ok, fine answer. Now, what if Gilbert gets hurt again? Will you give him another one year pass to see what he can di with a healthy team? What if Adams gets hurt? I am fine with your original hypothetical. I am just throwing out some twists to see what you would want in those slightly altered scenarios.

Basically, let's say everyone stats except Larrier, as you proposed. And, let's say, you give Ollie one more year based on that. Is he judged after that year on performance, regardless of injuries or suspensions or transfers that might occur mid-season? Or is there a scenario where you give yet another year?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can I answer yes but with a caveat?.

And let's say we give you and Ollie that. What can be done to make next season better? Because just saying "OK Kevin, we're giving you another year" won't cut it. Do we insist on bringing in a new coach? Make the guys practice more 3-pointers? Counting on a switch going off suddenly is a long shot in my opinion.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And let's say we give you and Ollie that. What can be to make next season better? Because just saying "OK Kevin, we're giving you another year" won't cut it. Do we insist on bringing in a new coach? Make the guys practice more 3-pointers? Counting on a switch going off suddenly is a long shot in my opinion.

I think an HGH program should be mandatory no matter what comes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This team is not talented. They are not good basketball players. That's in no way a pass for KO, but if you think this team of bad basketball players with no basketball IQ and a total allergic reaction to "dribbling" can win 20 games outside of a YMCA league you are out of your mind.

You’d think UConn fans would learn. Since we spent the last years watching the exact same thing happen.

Then you remember - oh this is the only school in the country where there are three fanbases and they all hold each other in contempt.

August_West

Reaction Score
You could really sit through another year of this brand of basketball? I mean, this is tough to watch. Like bad.
Yup .
" Brand of basketball"

This " brand of basketball" won us a natty 4 years ago. It's no different.

The difference is the players. Now buck stops with coach there too. Not making excuse. Absolutely. But I still believe this is a winning "brand of basketball"

I mean I just watched the game on DVR a couple hours ago. Jalen Adams deserves a better supporting cast around him. I want to cry for him. We simply don't have anyone on our squad besides Jalen that belongs on the floor with Nova. Not one. Early in the game Jalen was playing a masterful floor general game . Our brand of hoops got us some great looks . But no one can do anything even when put in spots to succeed. Larrier was a disaster. Vital is maddening. And it gets worse from there. Anderson has to play, but good grief. Carlton coming along well. Next year he will belong the floor with Nova. So will Jalen so will Alterique. Those are a nice foundation to work with.

KO fails a lot of tests. But the players are failing too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Better we should let clowns lead us to the land of ECU because we are afraid no one will ever love us.

You are the true hero. Hold the program in such low regard that we should just lose every game because we can’t possibly hire a better coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup .
" Brand of basketball"

This " brand of basketball" won us a natty 4 years ago. It's no different.

The difference is the players. Now buck stops with coach there too. Not making excuse. Absolutely. But I still believe this is a winning "brand of basketball"

I mean I just watched the game on DVR a couple hours ago. Jalen Adams deserves a better supporting cast around him. I want to cry for him. We simply don't have anyone on our squad besides Jalen that belongs on the floor with Nova. Not one. Early in the game Jalen was playing a masterful floor general game . Our brand of hoops got us some great looks . But no one can do anything even when put in spots to succeed. Larrier was a disaster. Vital is maddening. And it gets worse from there. Anderson has to play, but good grief. Carlton coming along well. Next year he will belong the floor with Nova. So will Jalen so will Alterique. Those are a nice foundation to work with.

KO fails a lot of tests. But the players are failing too.

The athletic department from top to bottom fails every test that Geno doesn’t take by himself.

Reaction Score
Do you want Kevin Ollie back next season?
I actually do. I'm willing to give another year to him because the potential returns far outweigh the risks in my mind. You have a guy that is fully vested in the program. If he can figure it out we will be in an enviable spot for years. Don't get me wrong, he is definitely an underdog right now. I think he will have to do some major soul searching this off season and next year because the writing is on the wall. He has to improve and he knows it.

Look at Jay Wright's first couple of years. I'm sure you can look at a whole bunch of different coaches' early records and you'll see the same thing. If Kevin Ollie can succeed here then the program is set for 20+ years. If we bring someone with no allegiance to the program we could be facing a turnstile head coaching spot and I feel that is just as bad as what we're going through now.

Some people may think that another year of these results will somehow bury the program forever. I just don't see it that way. If UCONN beat mich st and unc out in oregon the media would have been all over them. I don't get the feeling that we're on the brink of total anhilation because we aren't. If they win they will be instantly "relevant" again.

I understand where you're coming from and you have every right to be calling for KO's head. You can rightfully ask how will anything change next year. People grow and change, especially when faced with adversity. Maybe it's a long shot, but for the long run I think giving KO one more chance is worth the risk.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ok, fine answer. Now, what if Gilbert gets hurt again? Will you give him another one year pass to see what he can di with a healthy team? What if Adams gets hurt? I am fine with your original hypothetical. I am just throwing out some twists to see what you would want in those slightly altered scenarios.

Basically, let's say everyone stats except Larrier, as you proposed. And, let's say, you give Ollie one more year based on that. Is he judged after that year on performance, regardless of injuries or suspensions or transfers that might occur mid-season? Or is there a scenario where you give yet another year?
Yes. He would have to be judged on the performance no matter what at that point even with injuries. I have to go on the assumption that no team in the country can be that snake bitten injury wise 3 years in a row. Gilbert was always meant to be our centerpiece. His shoulder may cost Ollie his job ( but Ollie has absolutely helped it along)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom