Inês article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Inês article

Reaction Score
I believe "terrible" is an exaggeration, especially if one compares her under-the-basket performance to her two team mates from last season.
Yea, a bit over the top. But at those specific moments when she bounce the ball off the bottom of the boards--Terrible, came to mind. No, no one on the team missed every layup, although in a few games it seemed that way. Thank you---I'll retract TERRIBLE.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Reminds of a time when I would hear "It's UCLA". I wasn't a fan.
Nice "tease" Alydar. Posting an article that's for "paid subscribers only." I really wanted to read it. :(

Reaction Score
I have to stand up for my current state of residence. Niceville, Fl is near Destin and Eglin Air Force base. That part of Florida's panhandle is south of Alabama, and east of Mobile, Al. Mississippi coast is west of the Mobile Bay area. Aptly named town, as the beaches are quite nice all along the coast there.
I stand corrected! Well done! I forgot to recheck my map... Sorry to misrepresent Niceville!!

Reaction Score
Looking at her videos, I must admit that I (noticed) was impressed with her ability to finish under the basket, unlike as you mentioned a couple of our girls from last year. In a close game, 1-2 missed layups :confused: can be the difference between winning and and losing.
Actually we saw a game; if Caroline missed a layup it would have been OT or a loss. I noticed too many of Uconn close in or layups were RUSHED. If you noted Caroline--they rarely were, even the game winner.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yea, a bit over the top. But at those specific moments when she bounce the ball off the bottom of the boards--Terrible, came to mind. No, no one on the team missed every layup, although in a few games it seemed that way. Thank you---I'll retract TERRIBLE.
Avid UConn fans know who you're referring to. No names need be mentioned.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Actually we saw a game; if Caroline missed a layup it would have been OT or a loss. I noticed too many of Uconn close in or layups were RUSHED. If you noted Caroline--they rarely were, even the game winner.
Layups are often missed because they are rushed (to keep from getting blocked) and the shooter is IS NOT CONSENTRATING on where to bounce the ball off the backboard.

If I've had one coach tell me that, I had ten. The closer to the basket you are, the easier it is to shoot a bank shot. I was always told..............."the glass is your friend, and the bank is ALWAYS open." :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
One wonders how Northwest Florida is going to feel if Ines becomes a star here at UConn? Of course, this happens all the time in collegiate sports. Athletes should go to the place that will best nurture them both educationally and athletically but I’m sure this is a disappointment for them and will be even more so if Ines ends up being a great player. Perhaps we’ll see Geno schedule them for an exhibition or early season game?
Things happen for a reason!! Ines was never meant to go to NW Florida. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was in the Azores on her Island 15 years ago and 90%+ of the population speaks english. It's not a big tourist destination so they still like Americans. They do more emigrating to the US than to the mainland and everyone I met had relatives in the US.
The junior college may have to do with adjusting to US academics. There was some culture shock for me 15 years ago. 5 minutes from the center of town I saw 2 dogs leading about 20 dairy cows down the road we were driving. Had to sit there for a few minutes while they passed and I realized there were no people, just the dogs and the cows walking down from the pasture to get milked. In the capital at noon all the businesses shut down for lunch for 3 or 4 hours. There seems to be a festival for some saint or another 3 times a week in one of the villages and that also shuts things down. The pace of life in the US will be an adjustment for her I suspect.

Anyone into landscape photography or painting would love her home.

And 2 great golf courses that were empty in February.
This comment may have gone over some reader's head. I caught it. Good one Alydar. LOL! :D
My apologies for accusing you of posting that article that's behind a paywall when it was BobbyJ. :confused:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . .
The junior college may have to do with adjusting to US academics. . .
I've been wondering about a 17-year-old European coming to the US for college. I think that's unusual -- they're usually 19, maybe 18. I'm wondering if she's exceptionally bright (skipped a year) or otherwise leaving high school a year early.

Reaction Score
Layups are often missed because they are rushed (to keep from getting blocked) and the shooter is IS NOT CONSENTRATING on where to bounce the ball off the backboard.

If I've had one coach tell me that, I had ten. The closer to the basket you are, the easier it is to shoot a bank shot. I was always told..............."the glass is your friend, and the bank is ALWAYS open." :cool:

There's no excuse for most of those misses. Watch Bueckers and Fudd around the basket. They both developed a tear drop and are also deadly kissing high off the glass with various ball spins. KML also had an assortment of dipsy-doo shots that seemed to always go in.
I suspect that it's a skill that requires thousands of shots to master and not every player is that dedicated.

Reaction Score

Father Taylor at St Francis school, taught me basketball. Put X's on spots on the board and on the floor. If you stood on the X and hit the associated X you made the shot often. The BANK was a MUST to learn from any distance any angle. I'm told if you are good at math you can make bank shots. How am I supposed too know? Rene Montgomery was especially great at using the board--my favorite shot to watch. (you have to make more than 2 in a row to have a favorite shot of your own).
Thanks for this memory lane --"the Bank is always OPEN!!

Reaction Score
There's no excuse for most of those misses. Watch Bueckers and Fudd around the basket. They both developed a tear drop and are also deadly kissing high off the glass with various ball spins. KML also had an assortment of dipsy-doo shots that seemed to always go in.
I suspect that it's a skill that requires thousands of shots to master and not every player is that dedicated.
We once called the spin "English" or Reverse English. If I shot today, I'd be using it close in.

Reaction Score
It nice to hear that Ines speaks English well.
I'm hoping that she enjoys classes and succeeds on and off the court.
She'll probably have some added pressure being an underdog player until she can prove herself.
I'm sure that everyone at UConn will be extra kind to her.
Patience, patience!
Ines is newly here. That may account for my "take" on Lou vs Ines. They are both new, experienced, and away from families. Ines is younger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
One wonders how Northwest Florida is going to feel if Ines becomes a star here at UConn? Of course, this happens all the time in collegiate sports. Athletes should go to the place that will best nurture them both educationally and athletically but I’m sure this is a disappointment for them and will be even more so if Ines ends up being a great player. Perhaps we’ll see Geno schedule them for an exhibition or early season game?
Sorry, we do not play junior colleges.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Even now, as great as Tina Charles is, watching her brick a layup so hard it goes up and completely misses the hoop as it bounces to the other side, is mind boggling. You'd think at her age, with all her experience, she'd realize how strong she is and have a better touch around the hoop. Maya Moore was another player with super soft hands and just the right amount of "oomph"...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I've been wondering about a 17-year-old European coming to the US for college. I think that's unusual -- they're usually 19, maybe 18. I'm wondering if she's exceptionally bright (skipped a year) or otherwise leaving high school a year early.
My wife is German and had finished school when she was 16, then did a two year work program in her major of business records and accounting for her certification. She went to school 6 days a week from age 12 to 16.

Back then you tested for college around age 12 or 13, and if your scores were high enough you were put in college prep, if not you were put in business prep. If you excelled in sports the students would have half a day of school and then half a day of sports.

Reaction Score
Even now, as great as Tina Charles is, watching her brick a layup so hard it goes up and completely misses the hoop as it bounces to the other side, is mind boggling. You'd think at her age, with all her experience, she'd realize how strong she is and have a better touch around the hoop. Maya Moore was another player with super soft hands and just the right amount of "oomph"...

Reaction Score
You'd think "muscle memory" would kick in. Emotions, living in the moment, I guess change muscle memory.

Reaction Score
My wife is German and had finished school when she was 16, then did a two year work program in her major of business records and accounting for her certification. She went to school 6 days a week from age 12 to 16.

Back then you tested for college around age 12 or 13, and if your scores were high enough you were put in college prep, if not you were put in business prep. If you excelled in sports the students would have half a day of school and then half a day of sports.
Over the years the USA toyed with that system. Personally, that's the system I'd use if I were king. However, in a liberal, apparently Democratic system, fairness seems to dictate EVERYONE rides the same boat. aHowever that can be interpreted as unfair to the better students. I was a terrific "teacher" in those classes filled with exceptional kids.
The system seems set for students that bloom late. It took 4 years of Military for me to blossom. Still I'm in favor of those with the desire, ability, intellect to bloom early and brightly.

Reaction Score
If you look at the situation statistically, what are the chances we found a gem in Ines? It seems no one recruited her even though she played competitive basketball in Europe. She was going to a junior college few people have heard of. She's 17. Chances are she's one of the last kids off the bench and chances are she eventually transfers out. We are her junior college. It should still be good for her as the level of training and coaching is unmatched but she may not play much. If she does, it's because of injuries. Still, she might win a national championship and will get great alumni support and a better education. And she has a shot at becoming great. We shouldn't think of her as equivalent to Lou though. It's a completely different situation. What she becomes is up to her but she's going to have to stay focused on both academics and the sport. She will be challenged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom