Inês article | The Boneyard

Inês article

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“It is really crazy because I was expecting to go to another place”, Bettencourt said Thursday. “But when I got this offer I couldn’t refuse it. I mean, it’s UConn.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She is fitting in really well

“It’s similar and I have talked to her about it,” Juhász said. “Her English is awesome. I was very pleased. She is very talkative, not shy. I took her to classes the first day to show her around and she was very comfortable. I was shocked because I remember my first days at Ohio State just being quiet and trying to find my way around. She’s doing great. And she’s living in our apartment and I’ve told her, and Lou I know has to, that if she needs anything to come to us and we’ll help her anyway we can.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And not a bad basketball quote.

“I like to play fast,” Bettencourt said. “I know I can shoot the ball but I think my strength is to run the fast break and in transition. That’s how UConn plays.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And not a bad basketball quote.

“I like to play fast,” Bettencourt said. “I know I can shoot the ball but I think my strength is to run the fast break and in transition. That’s how UConn plays.
Preach GIF

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A player that can shoot and likes to run......that sounds like a spark plug coming off the bench to me. Especially when the team has a slow start at the beginning of the game or the second half. I can see why Geno likes her. Any player that can shoot and likes to run is going to play. I like her already. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As @eebmg pointed out...

I like to play fast,” Bettencourt said. “I know I can shoot the ball but I think my strength is to run the fast break and in transition. That’s how UConn plays.

The rest of her quote was:

In the beginning it’s going to be hard because it is a different country, a different way to play from European basketball. But I think I’ll settle in.”

I love everything I've read about her. Playing well for Portugal's U18 team and being productive in all their games is a good sign of the talent level. We've read that she's a good shooter, has good court vision, and likes to pass. She's a PG at heart so she has the "floor general" mentality.

BUT - not sure what to expect. She was originally going to a 2 year college in north Florida. I'm not sure if ANY other major D1 programs even recruited her. In fairness, it's possible no one really knew about her (altho I find it hard to believe she wasn't on Jose's radar!!!).

I hope she's an upgrade from terrific team player Molly Bent. I hope she can give a solid 4-6 MPG in big games, and 10-15 in blowouts, limiting turnovers, keeping the offense flowing (in the past, subs would come in and the offense would grind to a halt), and scoring when needed. She is wearing the same # as Portugal PG Ticha Penechero did at ODU, and if she is even remotely close to the player Ticha was, we got an incredible gem. Time will tell. So glad she's here!!

Reaction Score
As @eebmg pointed out...

I like to play fast,” Bettencourt said. “I know I can shoot the ball but I think my strength is to run the fast break and in transition. That’s how UConn plays.

In the beginning it’s going to be hard because it is a different country, a different way to play from European basketball. But I think I’ll settle in.”

I love everything I've read about her. Playing well for Portugal's U18 team and being productive in all their games is a good sign of the talent level. We've read that she's a good shooter, has good court vision, and likes to pass. She's a PG at heart so she has the "floor general" mentality.

BUT - not sure what to expect. She was originally going to a 2 year college in north Florida. I'm not sure if ANY other major D1 programs even recruited her. In fairness, it's possible no one really knew about her (altho I find it hard to believe she wasn't on Jose's radar!!!).

I hope she's an upgrade from terrific team player Molly Bent. I hope she can give a solid 4-6 MPG in big games, and 10-15 in blowouts, limiting turnovers, keeping the offense flowing (in the past, subs would come in and the offense would grind to a halt), and scoring when needed. She is wearing the same # as Portugal PG Ticha Penechero did at ODU, and if she is even remotely close to the player Ticha was, we got an incredible gem. Time will tell. So glad she's here!!
I looked up INES' original school, Northwest Florida, in Niceville ( Florida panhandle, south of
Mississippi ). Apparently it has a two year track for an associates degree and a four year
program. The women's team ( all part of the four year program?? or are the two teams, one
for 2 year and one for 4 year programs, I would think not) was 27 and 3. The men's program
also had a tremendous year ). I think that I saw that one or two of the women on their team
( previously) eventually transferred to St. Johns, N Y ( Big East). I will have to check that fact.
GO HUSKIES!

sun

Reaction Score
It nice to hear that Ines speaks English well.
I'm hoping that she enjoys classes and succeeds on and off the court.
She'll probably have some added pressure being an underdog player until she can prove herself.
I'm sure that everyone at UConn will be extra kind to her.
Patience, patience!

Reaction Score
I looked up INES' original school, Northwest Florida, in Niceville ( Florida panhandle, south of
Mississippi ). Apparently it has a two year track for an associates degree and a four year
program. The women's team ( all part of the four year program?? or are the two teams, one
for 2 year and one for 4 year programs, I would think not) was 27 and 3.

The women’s program is exclusively a junior college program, playing other junior colleges.

Reaction Score
As @eebmg pointed out...

Geno's options at this time of the year were getting less and less. This to me seems a great opportunity. However, untried she is. Geno was looking or at least speaking of a "walk on". Inez is far from a walk-on.
If she is all most of us think she is, it will be a blessing all the way around.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
for 2 year and one for 4 year programs, I would think not) was 27 and 3. The men's program
also had a tremendous year ). I think that I saw that one or two of the women on their team
( previously) eventually transferred to St. Johns, N Y ( Big East). I will have to check that fact.
GO HUSKIES!
I have to stand up for my current state of residence. Niceville, Fl is near Destin and Eglin Air Force base. That part of Florida's panhandle is south of Alabama, and east of Mobile, Al. Mississippi coast is west of the Mobile Bay area. Aptly named town, as the beaches are quite nice all along the coast there.

Reaction Score
As @eebmg pointed out...

I hope she's an upgrade from terrific team player Molly Bent. I hope she can give a solid 4-6 MPG in big games, and 10-15 in blowouts, limiting turnovers, keeping the offense flowing (in the past, subs would come in and the offense would grind to a halt), and scoring when needed. She is wearing the same # as Portugal PG Ticha Penechero did at ODU, and if she is even remotely close to the pla[yer Ticha was, we got an incredible gem. Time will tell. So glad she's here!!
Hi-lighted above. Isn't that pretty much true for every Newbee in this program? Un-tried, un-tested, un-played, un-coached at uconn.

Each and every one of the new kids---I sincerely hope they all perform at the expected high Uconn Div 1 level. We'll clear the slate all the way to the NC.
Question? Is what should precede playing time. I'm sure Geno does. He can practice them test them but the proof is in the game. Not every freshman or new player is a Paige, Azzi, Caroline they are RARE.
Dorka, a 4 year player at OHIO was written here-in as an exception 3 point shooter. Yes, she can hit a three. But KML she isn't. She was (hope that has been fixed) a terrible layup/put back shooter under the basket (her position).

Reaction Score
As @eebmg pointed out...

I hope she's an upgrade from terrific team player Molly Bent. I hope she can give a solid 4-6 MPG in big games, and 10-15 in blowouts, limiting turnovers, keeping the offense flowing (in the past, subs would come in and the offense would grind to a halt), and scoring when needed. She is wearing the same # as Portugal PG Ticha Penechero did at ODU, and if she is even remotely close to the pla[yer Ticha was, we got an incredible gem. Time will tell. So glad she's here!!
Hi-lighted above. Isn't that pretty much true for every Newbee in this program? Un-tried, un-tested, un-played, un-coached at uconn.

Each and every one of the new kids---I sincerely hope they all perform at the expected high Uconn Div 1 level. We'll clear the slate all the way to the NC.
Question? Is what should precede playing time. I'm sure Geno does. He can practice them test them but the proof is in the game. Not every freshman or new player is a Paige, Azzi, Caroline they are RARE.
Dorka, a 4 year player at OHIO was written here-in as an exceptional 3 point shooter. Yes, she can hit a three. But KML she isn't. She was (hope that has been fixed) a terrible layup/put back shooter under the basket (her position).

Reaction Score
One wonders how Northwest Florida is going to feel if Ines becomes a star here at UConn? Of course, this happens all the time in collegiate sports. Athletes should go to the place that will best nurture them both educationally and athletically but I’m sure this is a disappointment for them and will be even more so if Ines ends up being a great player. Perhaps we’ll see Geno schedule them for an exhibition or early season game?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno's options at this time of the year were getting less and less. This to me seems a great opportunity. However, untried she is. Geno was looking or at least speaking of a "walk on". Inez is far from a walk-on.
If she is all most of us think she is, it will be a blessing all the way around.
Again, when Paige went down very unexpectedly, Geno had to shift gears and find a replacement for her (to his liking). At the time Paige went down, Geno was set, happy and satisfied with his 11 player roster. The boneyard lobbied back and forth all summer with the thought of Geno adding a 12th player to the roster. Many here thought that the team was fine (as is), and would be able to play the schedule and compete with anyone as presently constituted.

A six player bench was thought by many to be ideal. It allowed for 1-2 players to miss a game or two with an injury and still maintain their dominance, and 5X5 practice exercises. Others (yours truly included) thought one more player would be ideal, rounding out the roster to an even dozen.

Bueckers tore her ACL in a pickup game on Monday, Aug. 1. The portal had been "picked clean" by this time of any guards Geno may have been interested in and visa versa. There was no "plan B" on July 31, but her injury the next day ratcheted things up in the UConn basketball office to "DEFCON2."

Geno huddled up with his staff the next morning, defined the goal of finding (identifying) and recruiting the best guard they could find in the 4 weeks remaining in the summer before school began on August 29. Searching high and low, they found Ines. A relatively unknown nugget from the Azores in Portugal, who planned on attending Northwest Florida State College this fall. Using a military term for what Geno and his staff did, "they scrambled their jets" and answering the challenge. ;)

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

Dorka, a 4 year player at OHIO was written here-in as an exception 3 point shooter. Yes, she can hit a three. But KML she isn't. She was (hope that has been fixed) a terrible layup/put back shooter under the basket (her position).
I believe "terrible" is an exaggeration, especially if one compares her under-the-basket performance to her two team mates from last season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe "terrible" is an exaggeration, especially if one compares her under-the-basket performance to her two team mates from last season.
Looking at her videos, I must admit that I (noticed) was impressed with her ability to finish under the basket, unlike as you mentioned a couple of our girls from last year. In a close game, 1-2 missed layups :confused: can be the difference between winning and and losing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ines’s comment on accepting a scholarship, “I mean it’s UConn” has a very familiar ring to it. I seem to recall that Ice said nearly the same thing when she delighted all of us by announcing her intent to become a Husky during her junior year of HS.

Reaction Score
It nice to hear that Ines speaks English well.
I'm hoping that she enjoys classes and succeeds on and off the court.
She'll probably have some added pressure being an underdog player until she can prove herself.
I'm sure that everyone at UConn will be extra kind to her.
Patience, patience!

I was in the Azores on her Island 15 years ago and 90%+ of the population speaks english. It's not a big tourist destination so they still like Americans. They do more emigrating to the US than to the mainland and everyone I met had relatives in the US.
The junior college may have to do with adjusting to US academics. There was some culture shock for me 15 years ago. 5 minutes from the center of town I saw 2 dogs leading about 20 dairy cows down the road we were driving. Had to sit there for a few minutes while they passed and I realized there were no people, just the dogs and the cows walking down from the pasture to get milked. In the capital at noon all the businesses shut down for lunch for 3 or 4 hours. There seems to be a festival for some saint or another 3 times a week in one of the villages and that also shuts things down. The pace of life in the US will be an adjustment for her I suspect.

Anyone into landscape photography or painting would love her home.

And 2 great golf courses that were empty in February.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom