Impressive Balance by Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Impressive Balance by Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
now there's a HUGE difference in 99 & 299, you guys kill me! (let me get it right, they are ranked 302 to be exact. thats a fact)

Fairfield isnt really a cupcake compared to Mercer... :rolleyes:

(in some ways...) hahaha nice way of making your comment look good.

Fairfield is 99 so yeah we should play them twice like we do ND

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
same thing can be said about the Fairfield comments posted in this thread
The key difference is not the RPI gap between Fairfield and Mercer, which I agree though significant on paper isn't really that significant in any practical way, so much as it is the comments made about the Fairfield game pertained to players that will actually see action against a Notre Dame-caliber opponent. If Geno gave Lauren Engeln significant minutes against Fairfield and she dropped 15 points, it wouldn't make much sense to conclude that Geno was going to play her against Notre Dame and that she'd be a weapon. Rather, the comments were made about players who absolutely will see time against ND with the hope that some of the good signs we saw against a weak opponent will carry over against strong ones. ND's bench is not going to see big minutes against quality squads.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
as always (shrugs)
You really need to look at what I'm saying and not who is saying it.

You compared comments about Mercer/ND to a comment about Fairfield/UConn. Do you disagree that those two teams (Fairfield and Mercer) are are really not comparable?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Fairfield is likely to beat Mercer by 30-40.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
now there's a HUGE difference in 99 & 299, you guys kill me! (let me get it right, they are ranked 302 to be exact. thats a fact)

Fairfield isnt really a cupcake compared to Mercer... :rolleyes:

(in some ways...) hahaha nice way of making your comment look good.

Fairfield is 99 so yeah we should play them twice like we do ND

No, there is always a big difference bewteen 99 and 302. Where are you getting "now"?

In regards to playing UConn both would be considered cupcakes. No matter how many emoticons you use.

I wasn't trying to make my comment look good. It stands on it's own. But you did have a point that using Fairfield to say how good a particular starter or regular bench player doesn't make sense (if that is what you were actually saying). But the OP was using Mercer to show how good the end of the bench players were. Made NO sense. But no one here used Fairfield to make Uconn's end of the bench look good.

Where are you getting this about playing Fairfield twice like ND. Who compared Fairfield and ND besides you in this post?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Veering slightly off topic here, ND played Mercer as a homecoming game for Fraderica Miller. Apparently Mercer was the only GA school that would play the Irish - this is a problem similar to UConn's.

This surprises me though:

“We scheduled this game back in May,” said [Mercer Coach] Gardner, who did note that she wished Notre Dame would have called off the press earlier. “Part of my job of being the coach at Mercer is to try and bring recognition to our program. I knew that bringing Notre Dame here would be an instant ‘Wow.’

Article on the game from the South Bend Tribune

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Veering slightly off topic here, ND played Mercer as a homecoming game for Frederica Miller. Apparently Mercer was the only GA school that would play the Irish - this is a problem similar to UConn's.

This surprises me though:

“We scheduled this game back in May,” said [Mercer Coach] Gardner, who did note that she wished Notre Dame would have called off the press earlier. “Part of my job of being the coach at Mercer is to try and bring recognition to our program. I knew that bringing Notre Dame here would be an instant ‘Wow.’

Article on the game from the South Bend Tribune

Well, that explains the 128 points that ND scored.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame is going to be very tough this season, more so than last season.
They seem to be a team who has discovered who they are; more than our gals at present.
That aspect is very important in closely-matched teams.
I am not as confidant as the other posters above that they can be beaten.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame is going to be very tough this season, more so than last season.
They seem to be a team who has discovered who they are; more than our gals at present.
That aspect is very important in closely-matched teams.
I am not as confidant as the other posters above that they can be beaten.
Based on? They were fortunate to beat Duke, they gave 94 points to Baylor, and 83 to Kentucky. Otherwise, they've played a ton of creampuffs, other than possibly a Purdue team UConn would beat easily. Like UConn, they haven't played anyone of consequence on the road other than Baylor, and they matched up far more poorly with Baylor than UConn did.

There's a lot of talk about UConn not having an identity, but all that talk popped up after losing by five points on the road to the #1 team in the country. No one was saying that after Stanford and Texas A&M.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This years UConn team imo is underrated even though theyre ranked 2 in the polls. They are much better then they look with alot of room for growth to get better. They lost at Baylor and had an 11 point lead and hadnt gone to the foul line. That wont happen again. We beat Stanford and TAM at a time where we were still finding our way. Now to get to the next level we will need Heather scoring, BB and Kiah improving and showing they can be counted on in big games. The NDgame will tell us where were at at this point in the season and what we need to work on.

The ND game I expect Muffet to key on Bria KML and Stef and make everybody else beat them from the outside. I expect Geno is have Stef get alot of touches and have everything go through her. With her ability to pass and set picks and her height which I dont think ND can match UConn should win. From reading the articles over the past week, Geno is working on taking UConn to the next level. That means Heather BB and Kiah will have to play the game with confidence. Tonight againest WVa. I expect to see and aggressive Kiah rebouding and blocking shots, Heather looking to score and BB under control.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Based on? They were fortunate to beat Duke, they gave 94 points to Baylor, and 83 to Kentucky. Otherwise, they've played a ton of creampuffs, other than possibly a Purdue team UConn would beat easily. Like UConn, they haven't played anyone of consequence on the road other than Baylor, and they matched up far more poorly with Baylor than UConn did.

There's a lot of talk about UConn not having an identity, but all that talk popped up after losing by five points on the road to the #1 team in the country. No one was saying that after Stanford and Texas A&M.
additionally, in spite of Brianna's 17 point outburst early, Geno was not pleased with either her or Kiah. based on his most recent comments, they've been practicing really well and hopefully starting to "get it"... (at least "get" as much as they can during their first year). i think we'll really know a lot more after WVU tonite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom