Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Several random thoughts on the 1st episode:

- Adult Language (AL) warning at the beginning of the show. I wonder who they are talking about? :rolleyes:
- I love Danger's dad's advice to her after the Baylor game, "Stay humble and hungry."
- Lou can't cook.
- Great scene with CD getting right in Geno's face during the MD game to keep him from getting T'd up.
- In addition to the tattoo on her shoulder, it appears Gabby also has tattoos on both calves.
- Geno likes to listen to Bob Seeger's "Turn the Page," on the road. Excellent traveling song.
- I'm a little disappointed with the BY, as I had to learn that Kia did a photo shoot for Glamour Magazine from HBO. You guys need to get on the ball.
- I wish the show wasn't on after my bedtime.

Reaction Score
I don't think the narrator even mentioned Napheesa's name. I get that perhaps she is not the most loquacious player so there are not many clips of her being interviewed but come on. They went through the entire regular season. How could the team's best player not even be mentioned? The player who lead the team in scoring and rebounding in more games than anyone else? The steadiest player on the team. I don't get it. If that was someone's introduction to UConn women's basketball you would think she was not even a major contributor. smh

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed it,but I think for someone who does not follow the team as much, it's only highlighting the streak, It leaves out; Gabby had a big game for ND, Crystal had a big game for Baylor, Collier had a big game, Lou had a big game..... it would have made more sense as to how it was done...it just glossed over the actual games too much.

Reaction Score
As geno said, its up to the team how far they want hbo to go with the personal stuff. Maybe collier wants her privacy and likes flying under the radar.
As for the show it's very well done and i like how they added "turn the page"

Reaction Score
A bit strange. Lots of Geno, Gabby, Kia, Chris and Katie Lou; some of Crystal, zero of Pheesa. The action footage was disappointing. Interviews were vacuous. The camerawork was jerky. Geno came across as a bit of a mystic - lots of scenery chewing, as they say. Also, the first episode takes the season from preseason to almost the present, so a lot of territory was skimpily covered.

The players were engaging. There was a charming scene near the beginning where seemingly the whole team met at Gabby's and Kia's apartment for a group dinner. Katie Lou got an inordinate amount of screen time, to my mind. Liev Schreiber's narration tone was credible.

Personalities aside, the true charm of this year's team is its stunning ball movement, efficient inside play and aggressive defense, none of which came across in the episode. A few feeds and a few outlets were shown, but to nowhere near the effect they could have been.

There is to be another new episode next Wednesday, same time, so maybe they've delve a little more into actual game play with less time to cover.

All in all, I'd rate it a C. Lacking, but acceptable.

Reaction Score
It's about a team culture, not individual performances. Sure Gabby, Lou, and Crystal got more air time than the other players, although Kia's Glamour photo shoot will certainly earn her a lot of attention if published. I will say this though, there were plenty of shots of Pheesa making buckets and that's more important than words IMHO. It's not the Kardashians. I thought the first episode was great, Was everyone represented? No. You wouldn't know Saniya, or Molly or Kyla were on the team but there are more episodes to follow. I would suggest patience. We'll see what happens going forward. Nice of Sue, Maya, and Rebecca to contribute.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
A bit strange. Lots of Geno, Gabby, Kia, Chris and Katie Lou; some of Crystal, zero of Pheesa.

Kids, this is a documentary series! Not everything and everyone gets central minutes in the first installment. They are setting us up for much more insights with the players who weren't central this time.

I loved it, and I think I have fairly high standards for documentaries. This was well-written and nicely edited. Again, it didn't look like a story on the local news because it isn't one.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Several random thoughts on the 1st episode:

- Adult Language (AL) warning at the beginning of the show. I wonder who they are talking about? :rolleyes:
- I love Danger's dad's advice to her after the Baylor game, "Stay humble and hungry."
- Lou can't cook.
- Great scene with CD getting right in Geno's face during the MD game to keep him from getting T'd up.
- In addition to the tattoo on her shoulder, it appears Gabby also has tattoos on both calves.
- Geno likes to listen to Bob Seeger's "Turn the Page," on the road. Excellent traveling song.
- I'm a little disappointed with the BY, as I had to learn that Kia did a photo shoot for Glamour Magazine from HBO. You guys need to get on the ball.
- I wish the show wasn't on after my bedtime.
Bedtime? We don't need no steeenking bedtime.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A bit strange. Lots of Geno, Gabby, Kia, Chris and Katie Lou; some of Crystal, zero of Pheesa. The action footage was disappointing. Interviews were vacuous. The camerawork was jerky. Geno came across as a bit of a mystic - lots of scenery chewing, as they say. Also, the first episode takes the season from preseason to almost the present, so a lot of territory was skimpily covered.

The players were engaging. There was a charming scene near the beginning where seemingly the whole team met at Gabby's and Kia's apartment for a group dinner. Katie Lou got an inordinate amount of screen time, to my mind. Liev Schreiber's narration tone was credible.

Personalities aside, the true charm of this year's team is its stunning ball movement, efficient inside play and aggressive defense, none of which came across in the episode. A few feeds and a few outlets were shown, but to nowhere near the effect they could have been.

There is to be another new episode next Wednesday, same time, so maybe they've delve a little more into actual game play with less time to cover.

All in all, I'd rate it a C. Lacking, but acceptable.
I'm somewhere between you and oldude. Wasn't great, slightly better than a C. B- sounds about right to me. But you've made some good points. Interesting that the freshman Crystal Dangerfield got more mention and screen time than Pheesa. Even if Pheesa is camera shy you don't need an interview to convey how good she is and how important she is to this team.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
still dont see it on HBO Go.

Reaction Score
still dont see it on HBO Go.
Website says it won't be up until 4 AM PT (I guess it is defaulting to my time zone). So it looks like for Go and Now we will have to wait until the next day for each episode

Reaction Score
A- for me. More mention of Phessa is a must. Would have liked to hear from the Asst. Coaches, but it is a 1 hour episode with more to come.

The part about Danger was great.
The scene at Gabby's was great

Best part......no other program has one!

"I am not Gabby Williams in a UConn Jersey. I am UConn."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really enjoyed it. This is the March to Madness for a national audience that does not live and die on everything UConn so consider this first episode as sort of an introduction and summation of the program and season to date. For a lot of people in the audience they are aiming everything would be new. For us boneyarders who have had a steady diet of the quality production work from SNY and from ESPN there was not a whole lot of 'new' material.

I am assuming that the half hour episodes will be current events based - basically the conference tournament for next week, and the first weekend of the NCAAs for the following, etc.

A few things:
1. We do not usually get Geno's pre game or post game locker room addresses to the team so I found them really interesting.
2. Everybody notice how the writing on the white board in the locker room shots pre and post game was always blurred so you could not read what had been written. Found that interesting, and I am sure it was part of the UConn stipulation for allowing the cameras into the room.
3. Wonder if the Glamour shoot for Kia was for a Canadian edition of the mag?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When shows like this are conceived and mapped out, they draft 4 or 5 talking/story points. In this case, the 1sr episode captured the 1st practice until this past Monday and it was filmed at specific intervals and as Napheesa didn't turn up her stellar performance until mid-Feb, most of this story lines were fully drafted- Baylor (Chrystal), ND (Gabby), MD (KLS) and don't forget Kia was preseason AAC POY so she was hyped. The next episode will document this weekends games, which Napheesa will be center stage. The week after will be light on games so I suspect it will show more of the coaches and teams down time and the behind the scenes practice and NCAA bracket announcement which should be pretty cool.

JordyG- "B-"???? Seriously hard grader. For us diehards, the prism is pretty tight, I get that, however this isn't geared at such a small audience of our intensity, it is to show the process the the casual fans/observers. Plus, I thought the two dorm scenes were great!

For edit corrections above, KLS can cook, she said she just doesn't know the recipes Per se' and after all she was in the kitchen with Gabby.

I really enjoyed the very first scenes with Geno reviewing the 1995-2016 seasons and players! Too bad Diana is out of the country, would love to hear her comments.

My grade is A- (give more screen time to Napheesa next episode and the grade will go up).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A few more incidental comments.

Crystal, as a freshman, apparently lives in a dorm room. (She is shown studying next to a bunk bed and brushing her teeth in a community bathroom.)

The cooking scene in Gabby's(?) kitchen was amusing. Also had a totally jammed fridge.

The play-by-play voice during highlights was Bob Joyce. Nice.:)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Many people don't realize that HBO started out as a sports network before ESPN. Most of their original sports programming was bottom of the barrel stuff because it was all they could afford to buy the rights to. It was mostly produced and announced by longtime legendary NYC sports announcer Marty Glickman, who briefly called UConn games in the very early 1980's. They produce sports documentaries better than any other network.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Crystal, as a freshman, apparently lives in a dorm room.

Hey Kib- I'm not sure that it has changed much based on what you say about Crystal from the past groups of very special UCONN players (and they are all special I might add)

I definitely remember freshman basketball players living in Hilltop (a dorm and series of apartments on campus). We are only going back a little more than a decade here (I graduated 2005) but distinctively remember wishing I was living where the players had lived...and freshman were always in Hilltop and the uperclassmen were always in a suite in South (another dorm on campus). Men and women. Upperclassmen were comfortably sharing spaces (as they should) and freshman had the quintessential college dorm community experience in a location preferential to their development as first-year players under Geno, CD & Co. Indeed, Hilltop sits rather close to Gampel, practice facilities, etc.

I had last visited campus for the SCar game @ Gampel (not this season and not the last...but the one before!) It was during that awful snowstorm when I blew 2 tires on my Isuzu about a mile and a half from campus on RT 195 in the dark and wet. Cold, and very upset, I pushed the car into a nearby parking lot with the help of a friend who came along (his first UCONN game and he wore that awfully bright and bombastic Tennessee orange color T-shirt - to my great horror!) Eventually, we trekked our way to Gampel with enough time to just make the tip (I've never pushed so hard in my life to get somewhere - my friend in twice better shape than I had great trouble keeping pace). And go figure, not one passing car stopped to offer help.

But upon that brisk and cold march thru the foot of snow and sleet (it felt like climbing Mount Doom, driving you fail to realize the inclination of 195) I happened to notice just how much the campus has changed; the new additions and extensions spread out covering once empty spaces. Hilltop suddenly became Hilton. Shippee/Buckley East Nowheresville is now <<downtown>> Storrs, and yes a 5* restaurant enshrined to King Geno himself to boot. Mind you, I lovingly call him the King.

As one of my fondest memories of life @ Storrs I recall an encounter with the unflappable Diana Taurasi in front of the apartments at Hilltop (where I lived as a senior). She had graduated the year before and was on campus visiting Maria Conlon (I have since run into MC twice since I graduated, both times in NYC where I proudly announced her presence and greatness to anyone around who would listen, much to her great embarrassment.) Anyway, there I was standing with DT and MC shooting the breeze (I was *ing my pants, of course with my obvious crush on DT) and realized they were there in the Hilltop apartments because it houses quite a few sports players as well, all of whom they were getting together, reunion style perhaps). If I may take a moment to gloat, it was DT who recognized me! I guess she had not forgotten that student fan in the Husky mask with the "Marry me DIANA" sign I hoisted for 2 seasons.

So long story short, it doesn't shock me to know Crystal is housed in a dorm (most likely the refurbished Hilton, excuse me - Hilltop) whilst Gabby, Kia and maybe even the sophomores have a shared living arrangement in a very nice spot on campus. I hear South is now housing underclassman so I only wonder where they are currently housed.

Apologies for such a long post to simply make a small observation.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed part 1 very much. Please air it at 9 o'clock. East coast is still the main audience after all.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with fanham. It was good, but not great. I was disappointed that there was really nothing on Saniya and Napheesa. The scene with CD and the team at the hoops HOF was good, showing her style of relationhip with them
. Overall it's geared to appeal to casual fans and non fans not just the BY.

Reaction Score
the Pheesa lack, to me, was just step by step story focus, building up through each episode. You need new material each episode, and they obviously have Pheesa set to be a longer look in the next episode. You can't tell the whole story in the first episode. She'll be there, just as Pheesa is always there when we need her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom