Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness

Reaction Score
The lack of Pheesa and Saniya was strange because they were the best players in the first game (especially Pheesa) but of course that game wasn't really covered, just the Baylor game.

One thing I liked was that it was all UConn, it was the players the coaches and former players. No outsiders, no reporters who cover the team, no opposing coaches, no men's coaches. UConn gets to tell its own story.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
damn it, I waited all night to see it... better late than never!

Reaction Score
I don't think the narrator even mentioned Napheesa's name. I get that perhaps she is not the most loquacious player so there are not many clips of her being interviewed but come on. They went through the entire regular season. How could the team's best player not even be mentioned? The player who lead the team in scoring and rebounding in more games than anyone else? The steadiest player on the team. I don't get it. If that was someone's introduction to UConn women's basketball you would think she was not even a major contributor. smh

I got lucky this AM and got up just in time to see most of it again, only because the TV was still tuned to HBO.
Aside from the "snub" to Pheesa, the thing I noticed this morning was that Saniya was totally ignored. I'm not sure they ever even mentioned her name. And the only time I actually noticed seeing her was the very last shot when the show ended.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wondering if they'll start off Episode Two, at the almost melt down at Tulane. It seems logical next step in how difficult the expectations are at UConn and how tough it is to live up to them. Would also show how the team is continuing to win without Kia, one of their starters. Also a chance to give some love to Napheesa with the exceptional games she had.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Man. Barely a mention of Pheesa the entire first episode. How's that happen?
Probably to lead people into the next episode in ads and content.

Reaction Score
2. Everybody notice how the writing on the white board in the locker room shots pre and post game was always blurred so you could not read what had been written. Found that interesting, and I am sure it was part of the UConn stipulation for allowing the cameras into the room

It must only be hbo because on the husky all access show on sny the white board is not blurred out and you can read it clearly.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe collier wants her privacy and likes flying under the radar.
"
If Pheesa keeps lighting up opponents for 39 pts, she's not going to be able to fly under the radar much longer.

It will be interesting to see which Huskies are featured in the next episode as it will be centered around the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed it. There were some behind the scenes stuff, like the stuff in the dorm and apartment. But I was surprised that there wasn't more. It seems the strength of HBO's access would be their ability to really show behind the scenes. Kind of surprised they didn't do more with the illness and injuries in their run through of the season. More dramatic and would have like to have seen more about adjustments, what was said, etc.

Reaction Score
Kids, this is a documentary series! Not everything and everyone gets central minutes in the first installment. They are setting us up for much more insights with the players who weren't central this time.

I loved it, and I think I have fairly high standards for documentaries. This was well-written and nicely edited. Again, it didn't look like a story on the local news because it isn't one.

It amazes me that after something special thaqt no other women's team gets, there are some yarders who apparently film editors , experts on announcers etc.Jeez enjoy please.
SPOILED

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting piece of information in TV Insider article. HBO is only committed to the Huskies so long as they stay in the tournament. So the planned 6 episodes include last night show, the AAC tournament this week, 3 potential NCAA weekends and I'm guessing some kind of post season wrap up.

Reaction Score
It was very enjoyable to watch, but it got to the end and wrapped up the regular season without some important parts, maybe the next episode won't be completely chronological and will loop back to the regular season and fill in the gaps.

I also think last night's counts as 2 out of the 6, so AAC and each NCAA weekend.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
LOL, you have to forgive us Husky Fanatics..
We have be trained to Nit-Pick from the Puppet Master Himself, aka Geno "Luigi" Auriemma
Over the decades he has taught us in order to change good to great, you have to pay attention to the details and look towards improvements.. We simply can't help ourselves :cool:..

Five more episodes to go though folks, so plenty of time for HBO to go undefeated and develop into National Champions!! This is just the first win of the season for them.. LOL

Reaction Score
What terrific piece. Congrats to HBO for a job well done. Loved the bit with Gabby cooking...who knew! Same with Kia's Glamour shoot. Loved that CD got the credit she deserves for what's been accomplished. Nice cuts with Rebecca & Sue & Maya. Good focus on key games leading to the end of the regular season. Pheesa's time will come in following episodes I'm sure. Totally disagree with FanHam on his criticism for lack of game analysis and coverage...this is an HBO piece, not ESPN. Different audience. It's about the program and the personalities, not X's & O's. Vacuous is "showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless" - I must have been watching a different set of interviews.

Reaction Score
I am intrigued by way Geno Auriemma is being presented (portrayed?). He seems almost Shakespearean: eternally troubled, dark private musings, solitary walks down dark corridors, head down. Maya Moore, Rebecca Lobo, Sue Bird and CD talk about his almost mystical ability to wreak maximum productivity from his players, even players who aren't aware of their greatness.

Exactly like I imagined he would be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually HBO shows a listing of (6) Episodes on their website to be specific..
HBO March to Madness Series
There’s the very slim possibility that the series’ run could be cut short if the Huskies make an early exit from the big dance. This is March Madness, after all. “HBO and IMG are committed to staying with the Huskies as long as they are playing in the postseason tournament,” Stallone says. “We’ll approach it like a team: one round at a time.”

From the TV Insider article in today's newslinks

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
HBO was never going to show us diehards anything new. The first show had a lot of ground to cover and the production isn't targeting the hardcore faithful, but a broader audience. Phee, I suspect it was her choice, but who knows.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A few more incidental comments.

Crystal, as a freshman, apparently lives in a dorm room. (She is shown studying next to a bunk bed and brushing her teeth in a community bathroom.)

The cooking scene in Gabby's(?) kitchen was amusing. Also had a totally jammed fridge.

The play-by-play voice during highlights was Bob Joyce. Nice.:)
I think most of the freshmen coming in to UCONN end up in a dorm. Might be a athletic dorm?? I don't think they "earn" apartment living until their later years.

Reaction Score
Here in MT it's on 501 HBO east. Geno just said DT is the best he ever saw or coached.
Geno was enamored of DT---the Italian connection was big--DT had no fears---EGO really big ego--Confidence and the ability to go with it. HOWEVER--DT said STEWIE was the best ever at UConn. Any Uconn fan that didn't like and /or respect DT's abilities
and production--just were not UConn fans. Over the years including the DT years--Geno said often DT was the best he had ever seen.
Where ever again did he repeat: We had Diana and they don't!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wondering if they'll start off Episode Two, at the almost melt down at Tulane. It seems logical next step in how difficult the expectations are at UConn and how tough it is to live up to them. Would also show how the team is continuing to win without Kia, one of their starters. Also a chance to give some love to Napheesa with the exceptional games she had.

Nope, that would be backing up. They ended with the last regular season game in Florida.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Stewie said she wanted to win 4 national championships when I come here to CT. You know it's never been done before right? I know. And I wanna win MVP of the Final 4 4 straight years. And it happened...like a fairy tale." That was almost worth the price of admission right there. We are the luckiest fans in the sports world, flat out. And spoiled too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom