Impact on Recruiting for Move to Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Impact on Recruiting for Move to Big East

Reaction Score
Here’s what we need to remember about the AAC. KO wins a national championship in 2014 along with the UCONN women. We’ve done that twice. There was a huge parade (I attended) and it was great. That was the part where I envisioned a line of top recruits outside KO’s office door elbowing their way into our program, especially since our profile couldn’t be better coming off 2011.
Instead we pulled in the kind of talent that has led to our current sad state. Even with the negativity regarding APR and Calhoun’s departure we should have gotten better players. We could not and still can’t get a big man to come here. I can’t even guess how many quality recruits the AAC has killed off from coming here and the players will never say that. These kids don’t want to play Tulsa and East Carolina and have a crappy schedule. The Memphis class with Hardaway is an outlier. It really is that simple.
We should know in 6-12 months if this juices our recruiting. You simply cannot win without players, and winning cures all ills unless your in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Kids do not care about the Big East brand like they used to do. This imo is living in the past. Plus Espn is way more important branding network than Fox. I dont think this will help recruiting either, as.the high school basketball scene has changed drastically in a decade. Kids will go where they can get play time and have a chance at winning. Uconn is not going pay big dividends from this move.

Reaction Score
Kids do not care about the Big East brand like they used to do. This imo is living in the past. Plus Espn is way more important branding network than Fox. I dont think this will help recruiting either, as.the high school basketball scene has changed drastically in a decade. Kids will go where they can get play time and have a chance at winning. Uconn is not going pay big dividends from this move.
You’re wrong

Reaction Score
They care about it so much more than the AAC though. If kids' perception of the old Big East was 9/10, new Big East is 6/10 and the AAC is a 2/10

Reaction Score
Here are my thoughts as someone who is intimately familiar with the NBE and pretty familiar with college basketball as a whole...

The Big East clearly gets lower recruits than the other P5 conferences in general. However, college basketball is not what it was. If you haven't noticed, kids who are fresh and sophs are leaving for the NBA (or more accurately the G-league) without even being on any draft board in droves.

Six players were picked from the Pac-12 in last weeks draft and the Pac-12 was an abomination last year.

Big East schools as a generality recruit in the 40-150 sweet spot (occasionally higher) and generally look for kids to stay 4 years. Big East also is a guard's league. Very rarely does the league get or develop lottery quality big men, we play on the perimeter, which obviously works in every level of basketball in 2019.

So, that is what I believe Hurley will sell. If UConn wanted to be one and done, or a one hit wonder and recruit the James Wisemans of the world and have the #1 recruiting class, then they probably don't come to the Big East.

UConn is recruiting at a high enough level ranking wise NOW to win the national championship. Look at the Texas Tech roster for . It's about getting the right kids in and getting the right culture in place ... and the Big East is better for that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom