Impact on Recruiting for Move to Big East | The Boneyard

Impact on Recruiting for Move to Big East

Reaction Score
The immediate upgrade in opponents from old rivalry's like Nova, Gtown , St. johns is great. That with a strong OOC ticks up our fan home attendance. Now Hurley has something to sell. He's done well so far but I expect even better results. Remember kids wanted to come here but the conference fiasco has driven many away. Cincy should go back too. What's the downside? For hoop?

Reaction Score
The kids we're trying to target aren't old enough to remember the OBE so as a selling point, can't imagine it meaning much to them especially with Pitt and Cuse gone

Reaction Score
It's huge. Every negative recruiting angle another school could throw at recruits is out the window.

- Terrible basketball conference
- No traditional rivals
- A ridiculous amount of travel
- Awful TV times/schedule (death to those Thurs 9 PM and Sunday 2 PM games on CBSSN)
- Playing in front of small crowds on the road

All gone.

Reaction Score
Gigantic game changing impact on recruiting. We compete for most 5 stars from the north east now.
This is what I want to believe. Also all the BE teams continue to upgrade themselves to become equal if not better than some Power 5.

Reaction Score
Traveling to Texas to play smu or Oklahoma to play Tulsa is the killer and will actually help with finances
That's fair, but at the same time we're still traveling to Omaha, Milwaukee, and Chicago. The differences in finances would be slim *assuming you were talking strictly about travel

Reaction Score
How would you like to be Randy ,an assistant ,Benedict, or any member of the football team including commits.
This only good news is Benidict will be a short timer.

Reaction Score
2021 will hopefully see the recruiting bump. Lot of local talent compared to 2020. A bunch of 5*, but I'm not sure there's too many in our range (20-100 ish).

Reaction Score
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the news late last night. It's going to be a huge help to recruiting the Northeast.

I wonder if Hurley knew this was coming when he took the job? Or was it even a "thing" a year ago?

Reaction Score
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the news late last night. It's going to be a huge help to recruiting the Northeast.

I wonder if Hurley knew this was coming when he took the job? Or was it even a "thing" a year ago?
My first thought too! The Big East is Back baby! Fire up the Felipe Lopez SI Covers again!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's huge. Every negative recruiting angle another school could throw at recruits is out the window.

- Terrible basketball conference
- No traditional rivals
- A ridiculous amount of travel
- Awful TV times/schedule (death to those Thurs 9 PM and Sunday 2 PM games on CBSSN)
- Playing in front of small crowds on the road

All gone.
Good points. How much is this negated by kids knowing they will not be on ESPN? What type of classes has the BE teams been recruiting over the past two years compared to the AAC? Not asking to negate your position. If you or someone else has information about the recruiting classes of both conferences it would be welcomed. Thanks.

Reaction Score
The immediate upgrade in opponents from old rivalry's like Nova, Gtown , St. johns is great. That with a strong OOC ticks up our fan home attendance. Now Hurley has something to sell. He's done well so far but I expect even better results. Remember kids wanted to come here but the conference fiasco has driven many away. Cincy should go back too. What's the downside? For hoop?
What are you talking about. St Johns couldn’t even find a coach willing to take the job. It’s been 10 years since they even went to the tournament. Georgetown hasn’t been a meaningful program in a decade either. Oh and where is the #1 recruiting class in the country? This is a cowards way out

Reaction Score
Get off the drugs. Hurley will be recruiting against Fairfield, Marist and the Cross. He will be leaving on the next available haywagon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ll believe it when I see it. Aside from Villanova the Big East is a bunch of small schools few people care about. The trend, if anybody has been watching, is that the major football schools have begun to dominate basketball.

My guess, it helps with NY/NJ/MA/PA/DC and hurts everywhere else. Winning is what will matter.

Reaction Score
I look at the school in my backyard UCF, who just had their best team EVER - and they can’t sniff top 150 kids. These schools in the AAC have to largely do it with transfers.

I wasn’t sure how i felt about it all those years when it wasn’t brought up, but I’m super excited!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is what I want to believe. Also all the BE teams continue to upgrade themselves to become equal if not better than some Power 5.

What? They are losing ground to the P5 and rapidly. Soon there will be pay to play, and none of them have the money for that. P5 football schools are the ones gaining ground, or did people miss Auburn, Tennessee, Virginia, LSU...

This makes us more regionally dependent. Less national.

Reaction Score
Nova the only big east team with any 5 star players - their class is 2nd in the country, next closest is Xavier at 19 then DePaul at 26.
I’ll believe it when I see it. Aside from Villanova the Big East is a bunch of small schools few people care about. The trend, if anybody has been watching, is that the major football schools have begun to dominate basketball.

My guess, it helps with NY/NJ/MA/PA/DC and hurts everywhere else. Winning is what will matter.

We don't need the rest off the Big East to be elite at recruiting. We push the UConn brand with the opportunities the Big East provides us and we will get elite recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom