Immediate thoughts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Immediate thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My thoughts:
1 I don't get the hate for AB. He had 7 blocks, took 2 charges. Without him the game wouldn't have been close
2 TS has to have the worst jumper in our history. His shots don't even have a chance. I'm amazed. The more minutes he plays the more his weaknesses are exposed.
3. RP How can a player look so good one game and so inept the next? How Rodney goes so goes this team. It comes down to if he plays well we win. If not we get a result like last night.
4. Our end of the game offense was horrible. Have we scored after a timeout at all this year? And does anyone else hate the pound the ball to run clock and then get off an unmakeable shot offense we use.
5. Still the game was really exciting. The crowd seemed really loud. Felt like an old B East game. Tough one to lose but 27% is the reason.

Reaction Score
Not sure if he will ever be dynamite near the rim, he really has no feel for the game around him. Blocking shots, fantastic feel - actual defense and when to block out and go get a rebound (never mind reading it) - not so much.
But that is the natural progression for somebody who has been playing the game only for a few years. Defense is fundamentally easier than offense. Okafor, for example, was substantially underdeveloped at O as a frosh. Defense is substantially effort and awareness, and doesn't require any ballhandling skills.
That's Brimah's issue - he simply has not had enough touches in life to be good with the ball, whether it's rebounding or offensive moves. That will come with time.
My point is this - his lack of offensive prowess has everything to do with practice/experience and little to do with any innate limitation (which many guys do have!).
In 2 years he will be a legitimate offensive player, meaning we'll be dumping it in to him and he'll hit a decent percentage of hooks and such.

Reaction Score
The crowd was great last night. Not sure why Hamilton passed up a bunch of open shots. And Ollie playing Guest for awhile in the first half was truly odd.

Reaction Score
But that is the natural progression for somebody who has been playing the game only for a few years. Defense is fundamentally easier than offense. Okafor, for example, was substantially underdeveloped at O as a frosh. Defense is substantially effort and awareness, and doesn't require any ballhandling skills.
That's Brimah's issue - he simply has not had enough touches in life to be good with the ball, whether it's rebounding or offensive moves. That will come with time.
My point is this - his lack of offensive prowess has everything to do with practice/experience and little to do with any innate limitation (which many guys do have!).
In 2 years he will be a legitimate offensive player, meaning we'll be dumping it in to him and he'll hit a decent percentage of hooks and such.

I see what he may be on offense and agree that may bet a better. As we said he can shoot it so there's a start.

My point is while we see the blocked shots, his defense is not progressing either as far as mentally. Does he impact that end now? hell yeah but if he also hurts us as many times being out of position, not helping, leaving his guy or being flat footed. I mean there's a lot there no doubt and he's young. But if you're playing for 10 years or 5 or 20, if you are still making these same mentl mistakes game after game are you ever going to get it? He and face are in that same boat, not sure of what they will ever be from what I see. Brimah as is, well that's fine. But as of now I don't see him ever becoming Thabeet with that kind of impact. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reaction Score
My thoughts:
1 I don't get the hate for AB. He had 7 blocks, took 2 charges. Without him the game wouldn't have been close
2 TS has to have the worst jumper in our history. His shots don't even have a chance. I'm amazed. The more minutes he plays the more his weaknesses are exposed.
3. RP How can a player look so good one game and so inept the next? How Rodney goes so goes this team. It comes down to if he plays well we win. If not we get a result like last night.
4. Our end of the game offense was horrible. Have we scored after a timeout at all this year? And does anyone else hate the pound the ball to run clock and then get off an unmakeable shot offense we use.
5. Still the game was really exciting. The crowd seemed really loud. Felt like an old B East game. Tough one to lose but 27% is the reason.

There's no hate for Ab he had one of his finest games on that end and early on was the only reason we were in it. But when it's crunch time and we need our big guy to go get a rebound for us, he's not there all that often. And no I didn't forget St Joes. There's just a lot left for him to learn.

Reaction Score
We are the worst offensive rebounding team in the conference. It was amazing watching the Memphis players push our guys out from under the basket without using their hands. They just lean into our player and use their lower body strength to push Brimah, Nolan or Facey further and further away from the hoop. This team is team needs a powerful inside guy in the worst way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom