Imagine you're a 5 star recruit... | The Boneyard

Imagine you're a 5 star recruit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Imagine you're a 5 star recruit (disregard position) and can choose to play anywhere in the country (exclude UCONN for this exercise). What school would you choose and why?

There are clearly a lot of folks on this board with a great passion for college basketball and knowledge of the game. Many, including myself, say that they would never choose to play for Calipari and can't understand why they get such a wealth of recruits every single year (thus all the posts about it).

I realize it may be hard for people to remove their bias (and sometimes hatred), but am very interested to read some honest answers (especially the "why").

Reaction Score
So many variable to even attempt to be "that kid". Where am I from? What kind of environment do I grow up with - family, financial etc etc? father figure or dependent on AAU affiliations?

I mean we can go about it as fun but we can't really be these kids or at least most of us can't.

Pepperdine - The Wave!

Reaction Score
I went to the Stanford game last year. North California would be tough to beat. I really like the San Francisco area. Stanford itself was very pretty. I also wouldn't mind a degree that said Stanford or Duke (I'm vomiting).

Reaction Score
So many variable to even attempt to be "that kid". Where am I from? What kind of environment do I grow up with - family, financial etc etc? father figure or dependent on AAU affiliations?

I mean we can go about it as fun but we can't really be these kids or at least most of us can't.

Pepperdine - The Wave!

Most importantly, how long do I intend to be on capus before leaving early (because all 5 stars enter college with that thought).

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Am I getting cash from boosters or not? If yes? then Stanford. If no? ASU.

Reaction Score
Somewhere warm with lots of coeds. UT, UCLA, Zona, ASU, one of the San Diego schools, Miami, or for a coach who'd really prepare me for the league (where ever Calhoun resurrects his career, jk).

Or maybe I'd pull a Jennings and go to the motherland, viva Italia! That is assuming I'd be one and done. Conversely, if we could go to UConn, I'd stay 4 years and go 4for4.

Reaction Score
If I'm 18, my priorities are getting to the League, being on tv all the time and getting tons of attention, both from fans and media. I choose UK. Or maybe Duke. Calipari may not be the best at preparing guys for the NBA, but he sure has done an amazing job at marketing himself as being that guy.

I was an ignorant 18 year old. I despise both programs, but its easy to see the allure for a kid.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I'd prefer to play where I could be the star, the go-to-man. I'd rather play as hard as I could and lose than sit on the bench and win.

caw

Reaction Score
I take five of the best academic/athletic public schools and start there: Cal, Michigan, UVA, UNC, Texas. I elimate UNC because of their current scandal and add Arizona as my fifth visit, they get eliminated shortly after my visit. Stanford would be my sixth choice but I'm not sold on Dawkins.

Reaction Score
Michigan State easily. Izzo is an elite coach and they are always in the Final Four.
this is the type of response that makes a lot of sense to me. MSU would be in my top 3 for sure. Great Coach (basketball wise and good guy from what I've read), great tradition, National exposure, great school.

Reaction Score
Don't kill or judge me. Duke.

The history, education, weather, Coach K, exposure.

It sounds ridiculous and I obviously hate them but it makes the most sense to me.
If we throw out our bias, this answer makes sense. I understand when they get top recruits. Other schools, I still don't fully understand. Love him or hate him, you're playing for arguably a top 3 coach ever in college hoops, at a school with great exposure, tradition, fan base, etc.

Reaction Score

Pepperdine - The Wave!
I'm with you on the cliffs of Malibu. Give me those dumb long legged blonds with low self esteem. I don't even have a second choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom