Imagine you're a 5 star recruit... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Imagine you're a 5 star recruit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm with you on the cliffs of Malibu. Give me those dumb long legged blonds with low self esteem. I don't even have a second choice.

Have you guys been to Pepperdine? Why the heck would you bother playing basketball?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
cohenzone said:
Have you guys been to Pepperdine? Why the heck would you bother playing basketball?

Absolutely true Pepperdine is gorgeous. I used to work a short way from there

Reaction Score
ASU > Arizona when it comes to co-eds. I lived in the state for a few years.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
If I could go anywhere and do anything, East Lansing would be pretty far down my list. Guess that makes Izzo a pretty good recruiter.

Reaction Score
Louisville ....free pu##y , great soul food , minimal academic requirements. It's a fools paradise. Is there a better 2 year plan?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Because I'd have to imagine it's me, the quality of the university and the degree would make a difference for me.

But as a five-star recruit, I'd also want to have a top basketball program, or at least the exposure needed to ensure top NBA attention.

The coach matters, but, again as a five-star, I'd be more worried avoiding about a bad one than ensuring a great one.

Location matters. As one of the wisest old teachers in my high school used to say: "The most important thing about where you go to college...is where you go to college." I obviously didn't follow that advice.

I love the coasts. I really love the Bay area.

I would lean heavily towards Stanford because the weather in Palo Alto is pretty much perfect for me and it meets all the other criteria, provided I was comfortable with Dawkins.

I would visit Duke and Georgetown and give myself a chance to be convinced otherwise. I would be worried about how long K was going to be around at Duke.

I would also visit Pepperdine, U.C. Santa Barbara and Cal Poly because I could, as there is that wise old priest's advice and they are all within the location that most appeals to me; but none of them likely score high enough on the other fronts.

Reaction Score
Not Kentucky b'c something about the "crunchy appetizer's" personality doesn't sit well in my stomach.
Not Michigan State, although i appreciate the coach, tradition and recent success -- living in Michigan sounds worse than Storrs ;)
Not Duke ... i just can't do it.
Not Louisville or UNC for all the scandals.

I'm going with Cincinnati, Cronin seems like a good dude.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Boston College. I'm a New England kid and I'd like to play for the best D1 team in New England.

OK, so it's the only team in New England.

Now, if UConn HAD a team, I'd certainly think about that. Because even though BC is the big name in New England, they do kinda suck. And their most famous hoops alumnus is Ernie Cobb.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
To all the people saying UK, at what point does it just become too much? Like I would like to have a chance to carve out my own path before going to the NBA. At UK you are just another guy who played there for a year for Cal before joining the 25 something other names in the league who played for Cal for a year at UK too. There is a serious lack of originality in that fantasy.

Reaction Score
If I'm positive of making it into the league...1 & done and all that then the schools reputation isn't that important...then what I'd be looking for is s place I can get exposure & is a banging place to attend - Arizona UCLA UNC (don't think I'd be interested in a small college.

If I'm just a top prospect but might need a good degree to make good money, Stanford would be hard to beat. Norte Dame (puke) is good too, but it's too much of a football school.

I can't see me being a 5* recruit.. To quote Tom Cruises' character in"all the Right Moves", not much call for five foot white guy in the NFL" & I think the NBA, much more so..

Great Topic though!

Reaction Score
If it were me my priorities would be campus, player development, originality, and fan base (not necessarily in that order). As somebody who wasn't 18 that long ago, originality is a big one...I want to be different. And if I don't like the uniform it's a no-go. There isn't really a school that checks all the boxes, but given the criteria, these are the schools I'd give a look to:

Illinois - As a kid watching college basketball the '05 Illinois team was the coolest thing ever. Their fan base is one of the best in the country even if it's been dormant during some mediocre seasons.

Temple - Love Philadelphia and like Fran Dunphy. It would be cool to play at a Big 5 school.

New Hampshire - Great campus, it would be unprecedented and get me a ton of attention (I like attention).

St. Johns - MSG, NYC, Chris Mullin, and, even in its current form, the Big East is a pull for me.

Rhode Island - I really like Hurley and the basketball environment up there.

If Buzz Williams was still at Marquette, I'd give them a hard look, too.

Not sure what it says about me - probably nothing good - but clearly I value the education aspect way less than some of you. Matter of fact, I'd probably go the other way...no way in hell do I go to Harvard or Stanford or Duke where I feel like everybody is smarter than me.

Reaction Score
Not Kentucky b'c something about the "crunchy appetizer's" personality doesn't sit well in my stomach.
Not Michigan State, although i appreciate the coach, tradition and recent success -- living in Michigan sounds worse than Storrs ;)

I have to imagine your last line is a joke.

Reaction Score
I said VCU before but I would like to change my answer...
University of North Carolina.
Decent weather.
Very pretty ladies.
Classes are pretty much optional.

Perfect.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I said VCU before but I would like to change my answer...
University of North Carolina.
Decent weather.
Very pretty ladies.
Classes are pretty much optional.

Perfect.
But if you don't want to do classes and all the academic stuff you'd actually go to Kentucky, where they don't even pretend basketball players going to class. No coverup, no scandal!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You can do better than Cincinnati...cmon.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Consideration:
USC
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
Florida
CCSU(Location, that's it)

I think USC would probably be it. Rich school, great weather, smart(hot) women, valuable education, star player, and the opportunity to make them into a basketball school as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom