OT: - I'm trying to buy a new car... | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: I'm trying to buy a new car...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
JMick what’s the word on Toyota Tacomas

Prior Tacoma owner. Great vehicle. Versatile for play and work.

Only drawback is back seat room. Even the double cabs are tight for anything but pre-teens.

Reaction Score
At the risk of hijacking this thread...

Has anybody ever purchased a car or truck from one of the Idaho mega-dealers? Dennis Dillon is just outside of Boise and Dave Smith is just outside of Coeur d'Alene. Both offer the most ridiculous deals. Especially Dave Smith with GM trucks. When I was living in SW Washington, I bought my wife a 2016 Jeep Cherokee from Dennis Dillon. No haggle, no negotiation. Take it or leave it pricing. About $6,000 less than anything I saw locally. I called on Friday, paid a deposit and flew to Boise on Sunday morning ($78 one-way). Salesman picked me up at the airport, drove me to the dealership and I drove off the lot an hour later. (I suppose that's the only catch, you gotta drive the car off the lot) It was a breeze.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It depends on the year. Generally solid, though. I don't like Toyota seats though. Can never get comfortable.

2017. And yeah agreed, but truck seats generally aren’t that comfortable. No back seats in mine, got the bare bones model

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if I’m just more cognizant of them now that I’m considering buying one but I’ve been seeing VW Alltracks EVERYWHERE

Reaction Score
I loved my 2016 4Runner Limited. However, the ride isn't the greatest since it is a true off-roader, mpg isn't good and most importantly, it just doesn't have the technology it should for a 50k SUV. It is way overdue for an update. Also, the back seats aren't very comfortable and the middle seat in particular, is hard as a rock.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Update: my wife saw pictures of an All Track I test drove and said “dear god why not buy a hearse.” She agreed I can get a smaller SUV.

I’ve test drove two small SUVs I was pretty underwhelmed by. Jeep Renegade and Ford EcoSport. The EcoSport was actually SMALLER than my Honda Fit and for a car with “eco” in the title it actually only gets 25 mpg. Tons of tech in the higher end model I drove but still the power was pitiful and it was super cramped. The Renegade was actually really nice but I’m worried about the low projections on reliability. Will do a Buick Encore next week.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Update: my wife saw pictures of an All Track I test drove and said “dear god why not buy a hearse.” She agreed I can get a smaller SUV.

I’ve test drove two small SUVs I was pretty underwhelmed by. Jeep Renegade and Ford EcoSport. The EcoSport was actually SMALLER than my Honda Fit and for a car with “eco” in the title it actually only gets 25 mpg. Tons of tech in the higher end model I drove but still the power was pitiful and it was super cramped. The Renegade was actually really nice but I’m worried about the low projections on reliability. Will do a Buick Encore next week.

Update. Don't ever buy a Jeep unless it's a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Isn’t ford discontinuing all models besides mustang and trucks? May be something to consider there

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Isn’t ford discontinuing all models besides mustang and trucks? May be something to consider there
Mustang is the only sedan/coupe they’re going to make. Will continue to make SUVs and trucks. EcoSport is new for this year and officially off my list

Reaction Score
I've got a 2007 jeep patriot and while I hate that it is extremely under powered, and I should never completely fill the tank (long story), otherwise I have about 170k miles on it and it's still going. I'm waiting for it to just give me a reason to get into a new JLU sport s.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Since you're looking for a used luxury car like a BMW, I would suggest you look at Japanese models like Lexus, Acura & Infinity. As others have said, the maintenance on German vehicles is crazy and since you're buying a higher mileage used car, maintenance becomes an issue.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Update. Don't ever buy a Jeep unless it's a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

I’ve been eyeballing the new (finally updated) Wrangler. The really annoying aspect is that even the Sahara comes with less standard equipment than a base model Corolla. The prices for them well equipped get crazy.

I’d never take off-road beyond driving on a beach or dirt road, but I like the idea of a four door, 4wd convertible. If I had a four car garage and lots of money I’d simply get a convertible and an suv separately.

Maybe I will wait for the new Bronco and hope. Considered a 4Runne4 Limited but as @Hoophound says, it’s an aging platform that needs an update. But the rear window goes down, for a semi convertible experience.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’ve been eyeballing the new (finally updated) Wrangler. The really annoying aspect is that even the Sahara comes with less standard equipment than a base model Corolla. The prices for them well equipped get crazy.

I’d never take off-road beyond driving on a beach or dirt road, but I like the idea of a four door, 4wd convertible. If I had a four car garage and lots of money I’d simply get a convertible and an suv separately.

Maybe I will wait for the new Bronco and hope. Considered a 4Runne4 Limited but as @Hoophound says, it’s an aging platform that needs an update. But the rear window goes down, for a semi convertible experience.

You laid out all the pros and cons of owning a Wrangler.

It's unique that you can take it off road, take the top off and have fun with it. It's not a Lexus ES, or as you mentioned , even a Corrolla.

I will see no less than 300 Wranglers fldriving around today around the beaches.

A Bronco with a detachable roof would be a smash hit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The base model wrangler has crank winders and I think is maybe the only vehicle being produced with no backup cam. That model still runs you $30,000. Boggles the mind.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You laid out all the pros and cons of owning a Wrangler.

It's unique that you can take it off road, take the top off and have fun with it. It's not a Lexus ES, or as you mentioned , even a Corrolla.

I will see no less than 300 Wranglers fldriving around today around the beaches.

A Bronco with a detachable roof would be a smash hit.

Even here in the Boston suburbs I see more Wranglers than any other car. Crazy popular over the last few years.

I never really considered one, but the new one is improved and more livable on pavement from what I read. Plus the two cars I’d otherwise consider, 4Runner Limited and Lexus GX460 cost as much or more and are also somewhat outdated.

New Bronco will have a detachable roof. It will also almost certainly be cheaper and better on pavement than a Wrangler. Seems like what I want.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even here in the Boston suburbs I see more Wranglers than any other car. Crazy popular over the last few years.

I never really considered one, but the new one is improved and more livable on pavement from what I read. Plus the two cars I’d otherwise consider, 4Runner Limited and Lexus GX460 cost as much or more and are also somewhat outdated.

New Bronco will have a detachable roof. It will also almost certainly be cheaper and better on pavement than a Wrangler. Seems like what I want.

The thing with Wrangler's is regardless of what Consumer Reports says about them, they have crazy good resale value. With proper care you can easily keep one 20 years.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The thing with Wrangler's is regardless of what Consumer Reports says about them, they have crazy good resale value. With proper care you can easily keep one 20 years.

Yes, resale is very good. Mostly because real off-roaders buy old ones and mod them. I’m certainly not keeping any car that long. 4Runners have great resale too. Seems like all body on frame vehicles do.

Reaction Score

The 4 runner all equipped is just as expensive as a jl Rubicon without the front lockers and with less modern convieniences. I do like how you can lower that rear window and with a lift and bigger rims and tires it looks solid, but I can't even begin to compare it to the wrangler, especially with the premium soft top. I can't wait to get into a wrangler! That's not even getting into the aftermarket difference between the two.

Bronco It's definetely intruiging though.

Reaction Score
I guess I’ll mention, I had a 2016 4Runner with every option. We now have a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon. My wife loves it and it’s pretty cool, but I’d take my 4Runner anyday. It’s quieter, smoother, more reliable and still ridiculously capable. Yes, the Jeep is cool for the convertible factor, but the slide down rear glass in the 4Runner creates a ton of wind and my dogs loved it back there. I just can’t see passing up a 4Runner for Wrangler for most people.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I guess I’ll mention, I had a 2016 4Runner with every option. We now have a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon. My wife loves it and it’s pretty cool, but I’d take my 4Runner anyday. It’s quieter, smoother, more reliable and still ridiculously capable. Yes, the Jeep is cool for the convertible factor, but the slide down rear glass in the 4Runner creates a ton of wind and my dogs loved it back there. I just can’t see passing up a 4Runner for Wrangler for most people.

That’s the trade off really. And used I could get a Lexus GX460, which is quieter and nicer still on road, and probably more capable than a Limited 4R (but with worse departure and approach angles). I just wish they both came with LED lights and blind spot monitoring and stuff. My little Mazda has all of that. Both are going to be much more reliable than any Jeep. The 8 speed Auto in the JL has been a repair issue in the Grand Cherokee.

Reaction Score

Just curious do you have a 2018 jk or jl? Although I can easily believe that the 4 runner is better on road than even the jl.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom