I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie. | The Boneyard

I'm starting to think it isn't Ollie.

Reaction Score
I have some problems with Ollie but let's leave that for now.

Red Auerbach would have problems winning with this bunch.

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They have mediocre handles.
They can't draw fouls.

Except for that we should be undefeated.

Reaction Score

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They can't draw fouls.

Sometimes I think the same thing, then I remember who brought this group of players in.

Reaction Score
The fact that people seem shocked and appalled in every single game thread continues to amaze me. The talent level on this team is abysmal. There is no coach on earth who's taking this bunch to the tournament. (Which is not to say there aren't plenty of coaches who could at least get these guys to play hard consistently.)

That being said, it's Ollie's team. He put it together. He alienated the guys that left. He hasn't developed the guys that stayed. It's his mess and he owns it.

Reaction Score
But they get recruited and developed by Ollie. Idk if it's bad coaching or a horrible eye for talent. But everyone that enters the program seem to get worse not better. Also he runs an outdated system that doesn't adapt well to the 3 ball. His lack of versitle big men who can play outside the arch is not even a factor he seemed to want to fix. His offense takes a street ball feel which forces injury prone players to charge into contested layups resulting in injury. You have a lock down midrange shooter in larrier that he uses as a large point guard who is suppose to make plays off the dribble. It's his total lack of identity with his players and system, coupled with his lack of development and I think recruits are noticing. We shouldn't be losing out to schools like PC on top talent regardless of the league you are in. I don't think he's a bad coach I just think he's lost in an old system and he doesn't know what else to do. It's sad that this is all happening at once.

Reaction Score
The fact that people seem shocked and appalled in every single game thread continues to amaze me. The talent level on this team is abysmal. There is no coach on earth who's taking this bunch to the tournament. (Which is not to say there aren't plenty of coaches who could at least get these guys to play hard consistently.)

That being said, it's Ollie's team. He put it together. He alienated the guys that left. He hasn't developed the guys that stayed. It's his mess and he owns it.
He didn't pull Gilbert's arm out of its socket.

Reaction Score

Alienated guys like who Jackson , Enoch , Durham cmon lol
Again we saw how they played Jackson was the closest to being counted on .. Durham wasn’t ready n still thought he could play n Enoch well

Reaction Score

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They can't draw fouls.

But by that logic, it wasn’t JC either as the kids he had were really talented.

This team would be measurably “better” if they were coached and developed. I’m not saying “light the world on fire,” but still playing on the bubble

Reaction Score
It's Coach KO's group, true. However the players have a stake in this as well. Somewhere between October and now, Pride has to kick in for these fellas.

I mean you look at the defensive end. Defense is all about Effort. If you have a lick of talent and some athletic ability, you are 2-3 steps ahead of the pack. Throw in your level of effort and you can stop most players. I watch our boys and they lack effort. You can't coach effort. That's a player thing.

Now when we are recruiting players, coach has to get the best possible players and go from there. If we can only get 2-3 star players, then that is what we are left to deal with.

Coach can only do so much the rest is on the players. They gotta buy in to the UConn Way.

Reaction Score
Again we saw how they played Jackson was the closest to being counted on .. Durham wasn’t ready n still thought he could play n Enoch well

All you’re saying in this post is that KO didn’t do a great job recruiting good college players in that class too. Enough with this bogus excuses. The talent isn’t great on this team and there’s only one person ultimately responsible for that.

Reaction Score
If Ollie were handed this team as a first year coach and failed it would be excusable. However, he is in year 6, well removed from recruiting sanctions. He recruited all these guys that can't shoot, pass or play defense. He installed the system that seems to highlight these inefficiencies. I am sick of the transfer excuse (Jackson, Enoch and Durham). Again, these are his recruits that jumped ship. If Ollie thinks coaching is just on the court he should've stayed with the NBA. It is his fault.

Reaction Score

If you don't think those guys get minutes on this disaster of a team I honestly don't know what the hell you think you're watching.

Reaction Score
I’ve yet to have the chance to view the taped game...but five (5) assists???

Reaction Score
Putting the lol in your post prompts me to LOL your post.

He is actually correct in his assessment.

and trust me I have rooted hard for KO to succeed. That is what I really really wanted.

Reaction Score
Why not add brown to that group? Look they were bums I agree and wish everyone else would get over it already.

Reaction Score
It's Coach KO's group, true. However the players have a stake in this as well. Somewhere between October and now, Pride has to kick in for these fellas.

I mean you look at the defensive end. Defense is all about Effort. If you have a lick of talent and some athletic ability, you are 2-3 steps ahead of the pack. Throw in your level of effort and you can stop most players. I watch our boys and they lack effort. You can't coach effort. That's a player thing.

Now when we are recruiting players, coach has to get the best possible players and go from there. If we can only get 2-3 star players, then that is what we are left to deal with.

Coach can only do so much the rest is on the players. They gotta buy in to the UConn Way.

The UConn way is not happening with 2 and 3 star recruits

Reaction Score
All you’re saying in this post is that KO didn’t do a great job recruiting good college players in that class too. Enough with this bogus excuses. The talent isn’t great on this team and there’s only one person ultimately responsible for that.
I believe everyone thought he recruited a good class so stop it N yes the talent isn’t here but ppl tend to blame coaches when a kid doesn’t want to be here , obviously KO was fighting hard to retain them but the family trumped him..

Reaction Score
All you’re saying in this post is that KO didn’t do a great job recruiting good college players in that class too. Enough with this bogus excuses. The talent isn’t great on this team and there’s only one person ultimately responsible for that.[/QUOT
Well a few at least. Hence the newer recruiters.

Reaction Score

They can't shoot.
They can't rebound.
They can't draw fouls.

LOL. That is all. Thankfully the Ollie era is coming to a merciful end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom