I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G | Page 23 | The Boneyard

I'm More Convinced Than Ever: UConn & UVA to the B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
John Swofford cannot act unilaterally on something like that. He had to have consensus from the members to do such a thing.

I am clearly in the camp the ACC is much safer than the Big 12 - but the Swofford/Swofford/Raycom deal is a joke.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's hard to see the ACC shut of Manhattan to DC when the most popular basketball team in New Jersey is Duke.

Reaction Score
I don't buy Virginia and north Carolina to the b1g the ACC is a lot more stable than the big 12 the b1g expands with UConn and Kansas . The big needs college basketball bluebloods for the b1g network and honestly UConn and Kansas are b1g like minded schools . UConn has stepped it up on the academic end and they will be rewarded and Kansas is aau so they fit. The b1g knows that Rutgers cant hold the NYC market by themselves enter UConn. The b1g grabs UConn at number 15 and then looks at Kansas if the gor can be beat they take them in time for the next tv deal. If not they wait till the gor is a couple years from being renewed and grab them the b1g don't mind playing with uneven numbers ask Penn St. You guys will be just fine no way your left out.

Reaction Score
Only time will tell about this one.

I don't think we need to wait for time to tell us. The Big Ten with Maryland has a better chance of landing UVA and UNC than without. That doesn't mean it will happen, it just means the chances with Maryland now are greater than they were before without UMD.

Reaction Score
No doubt Virginia will be a tough sell but once it becomes obvious that, together, the SEC and the B1G will carve up the ACC to get to 16 teams each, the Cavaliers will crack like a Louisville Slugger hit on its trademark.

I think UVa and the North Carolina universities are misunderstood by many B1G followers. UVa is not an original ACC charter member, but they are the last flagship school that has joined the ACC. After UVa came Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, partially ND and Louisville. None of which are flagship schools for their States (although Syracuse may as well be the athletic flagship school of NY even though they are private). UVa carries a lot of weight in the ACC for a non-charter member and non-Carolinian school. And in many ways, UVa acts like the Carolina schools, barring NCSU. That tells me that UVa will go the way of UNC... and UNC is still the face of the ACC, much the way Texas is the face of the Big XII.

The idea of the B1G stealing UVa is as realistic as FSU & Clemson going to the Big XII. It could happen one day, but not in the next 12 or 14 years. The GORs is going to hold the ACC together until 2026. I think sometime around 2024, things may get interesting with the ACC. But I think the ACC, B1G and SEC are going to realize how cumbersome and unmanageable a 14+ league conference is. The SEC is already struggling with the numbers and losing tradition fast.

If the big dogs can make more than 14 schools work logistically (or the NCAA comes up with a way to keep traditions in the major conferences viable through a NFL-style playoff system), then maybe there will be more growth. IMO, the only expansion I foresee in the near future is UConn moving into the ACC or the B1G and 2 teams joining the Big XII (maybe BYU and Cincinnati or Houston) if the NCAA forces a 12 team league on them.

Not trying to be a suck-up to you Huskies, but UConn is the prize school that both the ACC and B1G whiffed on. UConn has more National Titles than the majority of B1G or ACC schools in multiple sports. UConn is a school that learns how to win and wants to win. UConn is ranked very well in the USNWR (much much higher than Louisville and higher than a bunch of ACC schools). UConn has the #30 TV market and lies smack in between NYC and Boston. UConn is a real university (flagship and land grant)... not some little private school or city commuter school.

How both the ACC and B1G missed on this, I'll never know. Personally, I think BC has some hang-up (or is threatened by) with UConn and the B1G is trying disparately to hang on to their contiguous State and AAU status rule (although UConn may be AAU already or is on the cusp I think).

So as for UVa and UConn to the B1G, I'm not sold. The NCAA may require even numbered divisions, so the ACC is stuck until ND makes a move (which will never happen). And the B1G needs one other partner along with UConn to get to 16... and their ACC and Big XII options are all tied up in GORs. So UConn may be stuck in limbo for a while unless the NCAA allows for a 15 team league. I for one really wished the ACC would have invited WVU and UConn instead of Pitt and Syracuse back in 2011. Then when Maryland left, the ACC could have added Pitt or Syracuse (although Syracuse would have been locked into the B1G at that point IMO).

Reaction Score
Ain't nothing happening for a while.....in 10 years, as the GOR winds down, maybe...maybe not.

I, myself, think that the the ACC will be much the same...

After several years of reading earnest blathering....FSU and Clemson to the Big 12, Miami to the Big 12, Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten, Penn State to the ACC, UCF and USF to the Big 12, Texas to the ACC......I have come to realize that the Dude Virus has infected many of us.

Reaction Score
I don't think we need to wait for time to tell us. The Big Ten with Maryland has a better chance of landing UVA and UNC than without. That doesn't mean it will happen, it just means the chances with Maryland now are greater than they were before without UMD.
Those were my initial thoughts, especially before the GOR. Grab Maryland and suddenly UNC is thinking "wtf, the B1G took Maryland?! If anyone is getting a golden parachute, it's UNC!!" But the ACC does appear to be more stable now. When will the GOR lawsuit be settled?

Reaction Score
Ain't nothing happening for a while.....in 10 years, as the GOR winds down, maybe...maybe not.

I, myself, think that the the ACC will be much the same...

After several years of reading earnest blathering....FSU and Clemson to the Big 12, Miami to the Big 12, Oklahoma and Kansas to the Big Ten, Penn State to the ACC, UCF and USF to the Big 12, Texas to the ACC.I have come to realize that the Dude Virus has infected many of us.
while there is a ton of excessive noise and wild speculation on the cr board, the idea that nothing will happen for 10 years is the craziest of them all. sounds more like wishful thinking to me.

Reaction Score
Well...Delaney even stated that he thought that the ACC GOR pretty much ended B1G expansion.

"The ACC’s new grant of rights television deal—tying all 14 teams and Notre Dame into a long-term revenue sharing contract—has leveled off further realignment. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, whose conference presidents have been “evaluating” the conference landscape, said Tuesday further Big Ten expansion is unlikely.

“Given everything that has gone on, yes,” Delany said when asked about the ACC’s deal cementing the current five major conferences to their respective lineups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know the drill...to keep to the board narrative there will be a myriad of posts opining that Delaney didn't mean what he said but was only obfuscating his intent.

Reaction Score
Well...Delaney even stated that he thought that the ACC GOR pretty much ended B1G expansion.

"The ACC’s new grant of rights television deal—tying all 14 teams and Notre Dame into a long-term revenue sharing contract—has leveled off further realignment. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany, whose conference presidents have been “evaluating” the conference landscape, said Tuesday further Big Ten expansion is unlikely.

“Given everything that has gone on, yes,” Delany said when asked about the ACC’s deal cementing the current five major conferences to their respective lineups.
I understand quoting Delaney, but can you believe ANYTHING in print? If he wants to expand, what would he say? "Sure, we are considering expansion, and we hope to make an offer but we really don't want Swofford to know about it, so I'm hoping he doesn't read this."

Reaction Score
Please remind me again why the ACC is far more stable than the Big 12? I mean, the Big 12 hosts 2 of the probably the top 5(in terms of power) football programs while the ACC has an inferior payout with no tv network. With time, the gap between the haves and have nots of the P5 will also widen with the ACC being a have not. If anyone gets restless over the next ten years, my guess is that it will be the FSUs and Clemsons of the world. Not Texas and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

Hahaha. I guess I was a fool thinking that Delany was simply playing Swofford. Guess he played you as well. Delany sounds threatened to me. NOT.

Reaction Score
Lol. It is indeed "1". Which is exactly what I mean for my nom de guerre to be. Hence, "tightening up" is unnecessary.

Just don't ask McCants turns out Algebra is tough.[/QUOTE]
and, at UNC anyway, irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Please remind me again why the ACC is far more stable than the Big 12? I mean, the Big 12 hosts 2 of the probably the top 5(in terms of power) football programs while the ACC has an inferior payout with no tv network. With time, the gap between the haves and have nots of the P5 will also widen with the ACC being a have not. If anyone gets restless over the next ten years, my guess is that it will be the FSUs and Clemsons of the world. Not Texas and Oklahoma.

If indeed true that TV’s rule conference realignment, it’s clear why the ACC is stronger than the XII. While the ACC has 7 and the XII has 6 markets in the top 50 US TV markets, The ACC has 3 in the top 10 (NYC w/ Syracuse, Boston w/ BC, and DC w/ UVA while the XII only has 2 (Dallas and Houston w/ U Texas). The XII has no other markets in the Top 25 while the ACC has 3 more (Miami w/ U, Pitt w/ Pitt and RDU w/ Duke, UNC, NC St, Wake). The rest of the XII’s TV markets are Kanas City (#31), San Antonio (#36, assuming that U Texas is there), #41 Oklahoma City and #45 Austin. Both conferences also have 1 national brand in ND and Texas respectively, so I call that a wash (or a poison pill). Thus, based on potential TV revenue, the ACC is stronger.

Reaction Score
If indeed true that TV’s rule conference realignment, it’s clear why the ACC is stronger than the XII. While the ACC has 7 and the XII has 6 markets in the top 50 US TV markets, The ACC has 3 in the top 10 (NYC w/ Syracuse, Boston w/ BC, and DC w/ UVA while the XII only has 2 (Dallas and Houston w/ U Texas). The XII has no other markets in the Top 25 while the ACC has 3 more (Miami w/ U, Pitt w/ Pitt and RDU w/ Duke, UNC, NC St, Wake). The rest of the XII’s TV markets are Kanas City (#31), San Antonio (#36, assuming that U Texas is there), #41 Oklahoma City and #45 Austin. Both conferences also have 1 national brand in ND and Texas respectively, so I call that a wash (or a poison pill). Thus, based on potential TV revenue, the ACC is stronger.
Yes Coney but in most of the ACC there in the SEC's shadow(footprint) whereas in the Big12 they really dominate within there admittedly narrower footprint!But like you said it looks like a wash all things considered ! Outside of NC/Va I'm not sure the ACC dominates much in terms of markets !?!

Reaction Score
I never got any sense of real panic from any ACC school. FSU's nervousness was driven by a completely uninformed BOT member, who commented on the league media deal, when he knew jack spit about it.

I'll agree in that I didn't sense a general panic (other than FSU), but I don't know if FSU's actions can be minimized down to an uniformed BOT member. When you have the (former) president essentially announcing that FSU is "available" under the right conditions, that's a very big deal for both FSU and the ACC.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...-05-14/barron-email-fsu-acc-big-12/54961026/1

Then there's the knee-jerk reaction of setting an exit penalty in the stratosphere along with whatever compelled them to sign a GoR. To state that the GoR signing was done under some duress is not fantasy; no doubt there was a bit of panic there.

Reaction Score
Yes Coney but in most of the ACC there in the SEC's shadow(footprint) whereas in the Big12 they really dominate within there admittedly narrower footprint!But like you said it looks like a wash all things considered ! Outside of NC/Va I'm not sure the ACC dominates much in terms of markets !?!

I was not ever looking at the SEC’s influence, just to focus on the ACC and XII. Basically, the only market that the XII has is Texas while the ACC has influence stretching from Boston to NYC to DC to the Carolinas and then FL. Plus, there are signs that the Texas market itself is turning in part due to the success of A&M and that many in Texas do not like U Texas’s elitist (or liberal) ways. Texas v A&M reminds me a lot of the split between U Michigan and Michigan St. fans. Thus, the ACC offers more in terms of potential TV revenue. Will that ensure that the ACC is one of the 4 final super conferences? I do not know.

Plus, I still think that if the XII does not add Cincinnati soon, West Virginia may decide that the cost of being on an island 800 miles away from the rest of its conference mates is more than the cost of challenging the XII’s GOR.

In my fantasy land, the XII releases West Virginia who then joins the ACC (goes back to their natural rivalries with Pitt, V Tech) to replace Louisville who bolts to the SEC (they already act like a SEC school and Kentucky does not carry enough weight in the SEC to keep them out unlike U Florida v. Florida St or S Carolina v Clemson) to replace Missouri who joins the B1G as originally planned and then UConn is added to get the B1G to 16. The XII then replaces West Virginia with BYU and USF plus UCF. Except for Cincinnati, everyone ends-up happy for now.

Reaction Score
What about the elephant in the conference realignment living room? The SEC. What are their plans? Will they expand before or after the B1G (if at all)? Who would their likely targets be? Any talk of North Carolina to the B1G has to include speculation they stay in the ACC, move to the B1G, or move to the SEC (let's just rule out the B12 (and Pac) shall we). Who would the SEC like to squeeze more? The ACC or the B12?

Reaction Score
What about the elephant in the conference realignment living room? The SEC. What are their plans? Will they expand before or after the B1G (if at all)? Who would their likely targets be? Any talk of North Carolina to the B1G has to include speculation they stay in the ACC, move to the B1G, or move to the SEC (let's just rule out the B12 (and Pac) shall we). Who would the SEC like to squeeze more? The ACC or the B12?

Good question.

I think the SEC would be interested in parts of the ACC and XII; but not the whole.

Out of the ACC, the SEC would defiantly like a stake in the DC/VA and NC markets and may be even willing to take the ‘second’ tier in V Tech and NC Should the ‘academic’ schools UVA and UNC go to the B1G. Big question would be is if the SEC would also take Duke. Not sure. Clemson would love the SEC; but, South Carolina may block that move. Ditto for Florida St with Florida and G Tech with UGA. Miami may be of interest as it gives the SEC a stronger position in S Florida, a team with multiple NCAA titles and private, solid academic school to match-up with Vanderbilt. Louisville could even be of interest as it adds a major basketball name (twice a year games between Kentucky and Louisville would rake in the money) and a decent football brand. The SEC has no interest in the former Big E/northern schools.

As for the XII, the SEC would be interested in the same schools the B1G for the same reasons. Kansas for basketball and Oklahoma for football. History says that SEC would not take each schools little sister though (OK St ad K State), which may cause political issues. U Texas would be interesting as I do not know if the SEC is happy with just one flagpole in Texas with A&M or if U Texas would have issue with sharing the throne with the likes of Alabama, Florida, etc. As an alternate, I could even see the SEC adding Baylor instead of U Texas as it’s a decent football brand (nice new facilities), ditto for basketball, would pair nicely with A&M, add another private school to make Vanderbilt smile, and carries a lot less ego than the folks from Austin. West Virginia acts as a SEC school; but, not sure if it adds enough to make the SEC interested.

Reaction Score
I think UVa and the North Carolina universities are misunderstood by many B1G followers. UVa is not an original ACC charter member, but they are the last flagship school that has joined the ACC. After UVa came Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, partially ND and Louisville. None of which are flagship schools for their States (although Syracuse may as well be the athletic flagship school of NY even though they are private). UVa carries a lot of weight in the ACC for a non-charter member and non-Carolinian school. And in many ways, UVa acts like the Carolina schools, barring NCSU. That tells me that UVa will go the way of UNC... and UNC is still the face of the ACC, much the way Texas is the face of the Big XII.

The idea of the B1G stealing UVa is as realistic as FSU & Clemson going to the Big XII. It could happen one day, but not in the next 12 or 14 years. The GORs is going to hold the ACC together until 2026. I think sometime around 2024, things may get interesting with the ACC. But I think the ACC, B1G and SEC are going to realize how cumbersome and unmanageable a 14+ league conference is. The SEC is already struggling with the numbers and losing tradition fast.

If the big dogs can make more than 14 schools work logistically (or the NCAA comes up with a way to keep traditions in the major conferences viable through a NFL-style playoff system), then maybe there will be more growth. IMO, the only expansion I foresee in the near future is UConn moving into the ACC or the B1G and 2 teams joining the Big XII (maybe BYU and Cincinnati or Houston) if the NCAA forces a 12 team league on them.

Not trying to be a suck-up to you Huskies, but UConn is the prize school that both the ACC and B1G whiffed on. UConn has more National Titles than the majority of B1G or ACC schools in multiple sports. UConn is a school that learns how to win and wants to win. UConn is ranked very well in the USNWR (much much higher than Louisville and higher than a bunch of ACC schools). UConn has the #30 TV market and lies smack in between NYC and Boston. UConn is a real university (flagship and land grant)... not some little private school or city commuter school.

How both the ACC and B1G missed on this, I'll never know. Personally, I think BC has some hang-up (or is threatened by) with UConn and the B1G is trying disparately to hang on to their contiguous State and AAU status rule (although UConn may be AAU already or is on the cusp I think).

So as for UVa and UConn to the B1G, I'm not sold. The NCAA may require even numbered divisions, so the ACC is stuck until ND makes a move (which will never happen). And the B1G needs one other partner along with UConn to get to 16... and their ACC and Big XII options are all tied up in GORs. So UConn may be stuck in limbo for a while unless the NCAA allows for a 15 team league. I for one really wished the ACC would have invited WVU and UConn instead of Pitt and Syracuse back in 2011. Then when Maryland left, the ACC could have added Pitt or Syracuse (although Syracuse would have been locked into the B1G at that point IMO).
For someone who wasn't trying to suck up to us you did a damn fine job. :D Enough to even forgive your Syracuse to the B1G lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom