Illinois Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Illinois Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
You could tell Illinois's strategy after halftime was to go after Clingan and try to get him into foul trouble.

To us it seemed silly, why keep running into a brick wall?

Well, they finally realized too late that Clingan has great timing and balance so the strategy, which might have seemed well though out ended up biting them in the with the transition game and all the points that were scored.

Most of those points came from high percentage shots.

I really hope Oats took notes. Running at Clingan hoping for fouls won't help Bama.

Reaction Score
View attachment 98568
In the chat, I said Shemp, but maybe he's closer to Curly?

Nope, definitely Shemp...
shemp.jpg

Reaction Score
Dauster was talking about Hawkins like he was Wemby or something, his pre-game pod he said that he would be the 2nd most talented player on the floor behind Shannon. Guy did nothing on offense and destroyed by Clingan on defense.
Dauster is kind of clueless. I like that he's a UConn guy and has his pod but the guy misses the boat too much and continues to intentionally downplay what UConn is doing.

Reaction Score
Ok now where are 6, 7, 8 and 9.
The 30-0 run will become the talking point/most remembered thing about this game, but before the avalanche, UConn dominated, led by the biggest, baddest man in the building: Donovan Clingan. He eviscerated Illinois, finishing with 22 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks — and media on press row agreed the official block count might be one or two fewer than what he actually had.

"I thought I had seven," Clingan told me afterward.

Well at least everyone else in the Garden is in agreement.

Reaction Score
Ok, I went to the game and this is my first post after coming home and rewatching it to hear what Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith said at halftime vs after the game and watching the Women's game I had DVR'd.

I've been watching basketball religiously for about 45 years, and I have NEVER seen anything like what UConn did to start the 2nd half. To say Clingan was dominant is the understatement of the year. They were scared to go inside and their offense was reduced to jacking up threes. We were bad from three again and absolutely demolished Illinois. I can't even believe what I witnessed.

Reaction Score
I've been perusing an Illini chat board and the prevailing opinion is that the refs are a large part of why they got spanked. They refused to blow the whistle on DC when Illinois drove on him. It's kind of amusing to read, and def very sad, lol.
I urge everyone to not look at what non Husky fans are saying. We're doing stuff for two seasons now that nobody has really seen in the modern era and this team is better than last year's team. It's our best and one of the best college teams anyone has seen.

There's going to be be people who have their jaws dropped by it and appreciate what their seeing and those that will hate. That's how it works with truly amazing teams and teams that dominate their sports.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Exactly. Just because their strategy was to continuously try to draw fouls on DC doesn't mean he committed any.

So, if you really think about it, they had the right strategy. It's not their fault that Clingan didn't commit fouls. In a way, it's kind of unfair, right?

Post in thread 'UCONN….'
UCONN….

Sure, it's a small sample, but the assessments are respectful, well-observed, fair-minded, and candid in expressing conflicting emotions.

---------+--

OVERALL, I loved this game, BUT was frustrated, crabby, and persistently texting my sister from the 10-minute point in the first half through halftime.

UConn was too-quickly launching 3-point shots by players who were open, but had no need to be pulling the trigger so quickly. They were shooting as though they were being 'forced' to take the shots, but they were doing so without requiring Illinois to do its own hard work to force such shots.

I was unhappy that they were voluntarily forfeiting a unique strength to setup shots in many more ways than their opponent, and playing Illinois as though they were just two 'normal' teams competing on that limited basis to learn which was more effective.

I insisted that the offense needed to make one additional pass around the perimeter of the 3-point line - by strict policy - for at least the first 5 plays of the second half. NOT to take the first possible 3-point shot, but only the second or an even later 3-point shot. I surmised that this would control the tempo, throw Illinois off its preferred pace, require them to spend more time & attention in defense, and tire the opponent.

Concentrating on continued strong defense would result in UConn flipping the game momentum, resulting in the back-breaking success we've seen since last year's tournament.

"Start with defense, and the points will come, and then come in bunches, and result in a beat-down."

Rebounds on two too-quick shots gave second chances that resulted in points at the beginning of the second half, and then , with defense stepped up, the floodgates broke, and we witnessed history.

If I thought it was wrong-headed to hastily rush knockout punches, I thought that with greater patience, different and more successful knockout punches would show up. And they did, and it was thrilling.

I came to see that what I was so unhappy about was that the first half hadn't thrilled me, and I objected this. I was essentially demanding to be thrilled.

When the run came, I was thrilled and stay that way.

Next Saturday, I want UConn to play in its elevated, flexible, creative way. I want everybody who has already seen this AND those who have not yet see it feel the joy of witnessing the team's beautiful basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom