Illinois Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Illinois Post Game Thread

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I’m sure somebody already said this, but I just got home and don’t wanna go through all nine pages. It’s nothing we haven’t seen.
Not sure….but you aren't wrong. How was the live experience?

Reaction Score
I think their strategy was highly dependent on getting help from the stripes. Let’s run at Clingan and do what we can to get 2 fouls on him early.

When they didn’t get bailed out from the refs, and Clingan was having none of it they fell apart. Also they highly underestimated Johnson when he came in.

I knew we would be okay when I saw Illinois not really playing as team - trying to go ”one of one” and when that didn’t work, launching 3s.

One thing I know for sure is that will never beat us in a neutral court (without home cooking from refs) is the strategy Illinois came with tonight.
I've been perusing an Illini chat board and the prevailing opinion is that the refs are a large part of why they got spanked. They refused to blow the whistle on DC when Illinois drove on him. It's kind of amusing to read, and def very sad, lol.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I've been perusing an Illini chat board and the prevailing opinion is that the refs are a large part of why they got spanked. They refused to blow the whistle on DC when Illinois drove on him. It's kind of amusing to read, and def very sad, lol.
Like I said, they are delusional.

Reaction Score
Illinois fell to #4 offense and UConn moved up to #4 defense after that display on Kenpom.
We might end up playing the #2 offense in back to back games if Purdue and Bama swap spots

Reaction Score
Saw a bit of this on Twitter too. The complaint is that Shannon and Domask got hit all night and barely got calls

It’s true. They did. So did Newton, Castle, and Clingan

Everyone was getting beat up and the officials consistently let them play through it. Kudos to the refs for that

If Illinois got twice as many FTs, and then shot 100% instead of 71%, they lose 77-74. What are we doing here?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I think for me the biggest difference in the season and particularly the last 6 weeks is the absolute total buy in from Steph Castle.

Taking a one and done prospect and getting him to buy in to his role like they have is amazing. He's tasked with the best offensive player every night and shuts them down. He's not asked to play on the ball much. He's not asked to score much. He's a 5 star recruit with an NBA check waiting in his mail box at home and they've gotten him to buy in to a role you'd struggle to get 3rd and 4th year players to do.

Big props to Castle and the coaching staff. As one and dones go there's not many who've done it the way he has. The kid is a winner, plays as hard as any kid on the floor and he's a freshman with way bigger basketball aspirations than what he can accomplish in one year at uconn.

I'd also contend as far as on ball defenders go he's the best in the country right now and potentially maybe the best to ever play at uconn.
They're paying him back with a trip to the final four. He said in the post game that's what he came for.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Wasn’t Hurley saying preseason that he had to get Castle hungry/committed on defense? To go from that to our best perimeter defender is insane
We were hearing about his defense from day 1.

Reaction Score
Saw a bit of this on Twitter too. The complaint is that Shannon and Domask got hit all night and barely got calls

It’s true. They did. So did Newton, Castle, and Clingan

Everyone was getting beat up and the officials consistently let them play through it. Kudos to the refs for that

If Illinois got twice as many FTs, and then shot 100% instead of 71%, they lose 77-74. What are we doing here?
I think we had an advantageous whistle in the first half. But it didn’t decide the game

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’m smiling like an idiot when coach underwood said “ we are going to keep going at him (Clingan)”

Is there a dumber coach? I mean, no time out im any stretch of 30-0 run? No half time adjustments at all?
curly.jpg

In the chat, I said Shemp, but maybe he's closer to Curly?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom