Ignorant Writer & Sportscaster | The Boneyard

Ignorant Writer & Sportscaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan O'Shaughnessy and Lisa Kerney need to keep their mouths shut. They are just showing their ignorance whenever they speak. As Geno, Kara and Rebecca said O'Shaughnessy should just not talk about it or qualify his statement. Unfortunately Kerney is an ESPN sports anchor whose raining on the highest rated team for her own network. When was the last time there were this many upsets of higher rated teams, including two number 1s? UConn has challenged every team to improve their game and some have. Kudos to Washington and Syracuse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dan O'Shaughnessy and Lisa Kerney need to keep their mouths shut. They are just showing their ignorance whenever they speak. As Geno, Kara and Rebecca said O'Shaughnessy should just not talk about it or qualify his statement. Unfortunately Kerney is an ESPN sports anchor whose raining on the highest rated team for her own network. When was the last time there were this many upsets of higher rated teams, including two number 1s? UConn has challenged every team to improve their game and some have. Kudos to Washington and Syracuse.
He's got one drum and he's beating on that sucker until someone cares. His most recent statement will give him another 15 minutes of fame - ho hum.

Previous Shaugnessy article, Feb 2016

UConn deserves credit for its remarkable run, but I can't watch, March 2010

FYI, he's also taken shots at the men's program.

Reaction Score
It is sad that people in the media that obviously don't like women's basketball have to make comments about wonderful you ladies whom love the game. UConn shows the world how the game can be played, wait maybe I should say how the game should be played. Well I am a guy and I would rather watch our girls over any other team in the world. I am so thankful I get to watch them and yes I watch the entire game. Thank you so much for every minute of every game. 3 to history. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Don't know how many times I've locked horns with morons over this. Too many to count. Last year when the Kentucky men's team was on the verge of doing something a whole lot less impressive seems like the whole world was losing their damn minds. Yet UConn on the verge of history offends them. Even though I am one I still find men, for the most part, to be pathetic, disgusting creatures.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
How come Shaugnessy isn't complaining about Penn State women's volleyball or North Carolina women's soccer? How about Penn State wrestling, WVU rifle, or Denver skiing? Many of those sports can be seen on TV, too. Guy's a nimrod.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I'm pleased to say I have no idea what Lisa Kerney said, or who she is for that matter, which is probably just as well. As for Shaughnessy, I agree wholeheartedly with what Rebecca said at halftime of the Washington-Stanford game: We come to expect this type of thoughtless drivel from internet trolls and their ilk, but it would be nice if a so-called "sports journalist" held himself to a slightly higher standard than what's expected from internet trolls. In other words, Dan, do better.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
How come Shaugnessy isn't complaining about Penn State women's volleyball or North Carolina women's soccer? How about Penn State wrestling, WVU rifle, or Denver skiing?

Or, at the pro level, Serena Williams.

Since Dan won't bother watching UConn, he is now free to concentrate on writing about Sandoval's dietary regimen, BC's impact on the ACC, or Bill Belichek's ethics. He could also stay up late to tune in to Don Orsillo broadcasting Padres' games.

He should go for a ride on the MTA and never return -- and never be missed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How come Shaugnessy isn't complaining about Penn State women's volleyball or North Carolina women's soccer? How about Penn State wrestling, WVU rifle, or Denver skiing? Many of those sports can be seen on TV, too. Guy's a nimrod.
I don't like much NBA but I'll watch Steph Curry play because he's so darn good...and his team is at a different level. No one complains about them ruining the NBA...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm curious whether any of these nattering nabobs considered TN bad for the game along about 1998?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
He does this every so often. I think he gets bored and needs to stir the pot once in a while.
He's never bothered with Women's basketball other than to make negative remarks about it.
No doubt someone at ESPN noticed this and felt obligated to report it. Don't give him the time of day on this.

As I've said before I was alive when UCLA was winning 9 NCAA championships in a row and I don't rememeber seeing negative remarks like this. It was all praise for amazing basketball.

HGN

Reaction Score
And evidently there are some writers and sportscasters that are bad for journalism and broadcasting too......Better to be thought ignorant Mr. 'O' than to speak and not only remove all doubt but confirm what many alright knew.

Reaction Score
If Geno wanted any locker room material, he has it now, and it's coming without anyone on TX or Baylor or Washington or UTenn/Cuse saying a word. I'm sure those teams would wish this whole discussion would go away.

Reaction Score
I stopped watching the NBA because for the 40 years I had watched, it was reffed based on the star system. That's why Michael Jordan can push off and make a game wining shot. Haven't heard Dan complain about what a joke the NBA is. The UCONN women simply outplay every team and beat them by such a large margin that nobody can claim we get favorable treatment. Ask Dee Cantner if she refs in our favor. Shaughnessy should go back to covering the Red Sox and keep his tweets to himself.

Reaction Score
In this country, everyone is entitled to his own opinion—no matter how loony. But a professional journalist, a sports writer for one of the best papers in America, can be expected to demonstrate a higher standard of reportage than the average troll. Tweeting that UConn's women's basketball program is ruining the sport is the absolute height of stupidity and of unkindness. Instead of lauding the greatness of its team and coaches, Dan Shaughnessy, hereafter to be known as the Massachusetts Moron, chooses to castigate excellence and to insult a group of young women who are devoted to being the best they can be and one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game.

Sadly this is a reflection of a bigger national problem that goes to the very nature of our culture: the belief that no one should be more successful, richer, smarter, or more renown than anyone else. Pathetic and un-American. The death of aspiration.

Reaction Score
Pay no heed to Shaughnessy. He is a bitter, jealous , ax-to -grind kind of guy. Whether he's on talk radio, cable sports or in print he has found a reason, usually a personal pet peeve, to trash just about anyone who has been successful in New England sports . He is a boor.

Reaction Score
In this country, everyone is entitled to his own opinion—no matter how loony. But a professional journalist, a sports writer for one of the best papers in America, can be expected to demonstrate a higher standard of reportage than the average troll. Tweeting that UConn's women's basketball program is ruining the sport is the absolute height of stupidity and of unkindness. Instead of lauding the greatness of its team and coaches, Dan Shaughnessy, hereafter to be known as the Massachusetts Moron, chooses to castigate excellence and to insult a group of young women who are devoted to being the best they can be and one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game.

Sadly this is a reflection of a bigger national problem that goes to the very nature of our culture: the belief that no one should be more successful, richer, smarter, or more renown than anyone else. Pathetic and un-American. The death of aspiration.

I think you can scratch the paint from this and find something even nastier beneath it. I won't open the subject of society in general but despite anything title nine has done women's athletics still take a back seat to whatever it is that the boys are up to. His op-ed is garden variety institutionalized misogyny. That it's permissible for him to write it and then float it past an editor or two speaks volumes about how comfortable we are with it.

Reaction Score
I think you can scratch the paint from this and find something even nastier beneath it.
Great call, noirwestern. Geno's implying that in his very long rant at the end of his presser this morning.

A very sad and related thing about any attack on a sport or team that strives for excellence is that--let's face it--sports is in the vanguard of making us a more integrated society by race, class, and gender. Looking at our 5 starters at the morning presser, I couldn't help but think how much they like each other, how much they depend on each other. It wasn't that long ago when Adolph Rupp watched the greatest basketball player who ever lived (the Big O) play in high school, but knew he couldn't bring him to Kentucky. Sports is an incredibly important marker of social progress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32