Ignorant Writer & Sportscaster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ignorant Writer & Sportscaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm pretty close to Shaughenssy's age. The sports culture we grew up in celebrated dynasty's; Yankees, Packers, Celtics, Bruins. There is a reason Lombardi and Wooden have trophies named after them. I don't believe Shaughessy's problem is with competitive imbalance. I can't even imagine why he'd make that tweet when it would've been so easy not to but whatever his reason, it's not sports writing

Reaction Score
As stated in a prior thread, this guy is not worth our time to discuss. He is a 100% "Boston is the center of the sports world" nerd - nothing else exists for him so what else can you expect from his pathetic "mis-opinions". Geno put him in his place as did Rebecca and Kara. Go back in your man cave and hibernate.

Reaction Score
Jay was spot on. I got to see that segment, too. Way to go Jay! I wonder if he thought Dan Gable ruined wrestling? Moron O' Shaughnessy should be his name.

Reaction Score
I think I love Jay Bilas! ;)
The guy that wrote about not watching isn't worth talking about. Unfortunately, however, he is not the only one who has said something like this. If someone is speaking as a "fan" they simply don't watch. If he is speaking as a sportwriter who is bored with covering excellence, well, don't look for sympathy from people who have far more difficult jobs than finding more synonyms for "excellence" and "dominant".
Also enjoyed Rebecca's point: Why complain to or about UConn? Do they really need to be "less good"? Do you think Geno is going to say "Okay, sorry, I'll tell my players not to play so well"? Complain about the other schools. Complain especially about the ADs that don't support the women's basketball program, hold them accountable, or provide the resources for them to succeed.

Reaction Score
Old Used Q-tip Head couldn't trash CT enough back in '98 when the Patriots were courting Hartford for a stadium. He's a colossal DB who's a Boston homer.

Reaction Score
Pay no heed to Shaughnessy. He is a bitter, jealous , ax-to -grind kind of guy. Whether he's on talk radio, cable sports or in print he has found a reason, usually a personal pet peeve, to trash just about anyone who has been successful in New England sports . He is a boor.

I have followed women's basketball for a long time, and I've never heard of the guy. Sorry to trash a fellow Irishman on the centennial of the Easter Rising. But never heard of him, and don't care what he says.

Reaction Score
Well, this suddenly struck me: what exactly IS a nimrod? By today's standards, it may qualify as an ethnic slur (though the Assyrians are all long dead, so I'm sure you're safe :)). But here's the quick and dirty:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrod
From the bottom of the Wikipedia article, there is this gem

"In 20th-century American English, the term is now commonly used to mean a dimwitted or a stupid person, a usage first recorded in 1932 and popularized by the cartoon character Bugs Bunny, who sarcastically refers to the hunter Elmer Fudd as "nimrod",[37][38] as an ironic connection between "mighty hunter" and "poor little Nimrod", i.e. Fudd"

Dan Shaughessy = Elmer Fudd, except that Elmer is more likable.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Let's hear it for the Watersmeet Shaughnessys Nimrods!!!

Reaction Score
I'm with Jimbo - I don't know who Lisa K is and I darn glad I don't. I'll remember nto to listen to her from this point if what she said is similar to Dan's opinion.

As for Dan - I wonder if he saw the games on Upset Friday Night? My guess is he didn't. IMO he doesn't care about the Women's Game. IMO he only cares about his own column. And I can give crap if he watches the game or doesn't. I stopped reading his B.S. long ago anyways and now certainly will never go back. A guy that is so clueless about my favorite sport, BASKETBALL, doesn't deserve my time (or money).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom