"If you monitor, you get passed by. | The Boneyard

"If you monitor, you get passed by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sensing that one of the biggest potential prizes in realignment might be looking around, the Big 12 under Bowlsby appears ready now to talk about some kind of consensus regarding who or what would make sense if the Big 12 was to grow beyond 10.

"We can't continue to monitor things," one high-ranking source at a Big 12 school said Wednesday. "If you monitor, you get passed by. We have to have our own game plan so we aren't reacting any longer.

Quick someone tell Warde about this. Kidding aside good article from the Texas Rivals site from Chip Brown. I felt we got passed by in favor of Louisville because we monitored while they went on the offensive. Smarter people than me say that isn't the case, still I found that quote humorous given the "monitoring" quote.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1463673

Reaction Score
We got passed over by the ACC because we didn't have the votes. It was 6 for and 6 against. Miami, Fl. St, Clemson GT Nc St and BC voted no for Uconn. I am not sure if Vir. Left for the Big we would be the next team going to the ACC. Half the teams in the ACC just didn't want Uconn in their conf.. I believe Uconn is still a difficult sell to these teams.

Reaction Score
You have to sell yourself. The fact that you have schools/presidents that believe that UConn is materially worse than SU, PITT, and Ville is a perception problem. Where were we to tell people we had a winning record against those teams combined in Big East play? Nope, more important to be at a women's ball game at the US Virgin Islands while the Ville AD basically went door to door selling himself to the ACC schools. If you don't think it made a difference why did Jurich do that? I know to make himself look more important.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
At this point I'm just numb to the 'you have to sell yourself' schtick as if UConn didn't actually try. So I'll ignore it.

On the expansion article...it's interesting and yet crushing.

We really need Florida State to see the benefit to playing Oklahoma and Texas every year instead of Duke and Wake.

I hate that we're so tied to that bunch of hicks, but we are - if they don't move, we don't move.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
... And away we go - again, and again, and again. :)

groundhog-day.jpg

Reaction Score
Louisville just seemed to want it more that's all. The quote from the Big 12 source jumped out at me. I hope all enjoy the article. I don't know that I buy UVA, UNC, have said no to the Big Ten.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It also bears some mention that Orangebloods has been a prettier, but just as inaccurate a forecaster as any of the froot loop Tweeters.

When I become king, and honestly, what are you people waiting for, I will set all this s*** straight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gee talking about CR on a CR board is groundhog day but the 1000th best pizza in Connecticut thread on the basketball board, this one during the season, is fine.:rolleyes:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
At this point I'm just numb to the 'you have to sell yourself' schtick as if UConn didn't actually try. So I'll ignore it.

We really need Florida State to see the benefit to playing Oklahoma and Texas every year instead of Duke and Wake.

I hate that we're so tied to that bunch of hicks, but we are - if they don't move, we don't move.
I'm not convinced the ACC would bother adding more schools if it loses just 2. We aren't a practical replacement for FSU and Clemson.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced the ACC would bother adding more schools if it loses just 2. We aren't a practical replacement for FSU and Clemson.
I think it would depend on if they need a certain number of teams per their tv deal with ESPN

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
According to Jurich, UConn was penned in, not penciled in. Louisville pulled the rug out from under us. There was so much bad info about UConn floating around it was ridiculous.

We had no PR, no allies in the media worth mentioning, no public effort to fight for the school. It was pathetic.

Jurich even canceled his trip to the Carribean. What did we do? Placed a call to Bill Clinton, to get Shalala to answer on of our phone calls?

It's not like we didn't try, but we didn't look as ready as Louisville. And frankly, look what they are doing in football? Objectively, they are better.

Warde is bringing back this outdated Head Coach who has the program in the road to nowhere, even though someone basically offered to foot the buyout bill.

Just terrible. This school seems to have no fight in at the moment.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
According to Jurich, UConn was penned in, not penciled in. Louisville pulled the rug out from under us. There was so much bad info about UConn floating around it was ridiculous.

We had no PR, no allies in the media worth mentioning, no public effort to fight for the school. It was pathetic.

Jurich even canceled his trip to the Carribean. What did we do? Placed a call to Bill Clinton, to get Shalala to answer on of our phone calls?

It's not like we didn't try, but we didn't look as ready as Louisville. And frankly, look what they are doing in football? Objectively, they are better.

Warde is bringing back this outdated Head Coach who has the program in the road to nowhere, even though someone basically offered to foot the buyout bill.

Just terrible. This school seems to have no fight in at the moment.
"According to Jurich" is exactly it. He's doing what lots of egotists do, giving himself the credit for the outcome. And if UConn got in he would be blaming things outside of his control. The thing is his role was minimal. It turned out well for him and he's using it as pr to further himself. Nothing more nothing less.

Reaction Score
"According to Jurich" is exactly it. He's doing what lots of egotists do, giving himself the credit for the outcome. And if UConn got in he would be blaming things outside of his control. The thing is his role was minimal. It turned out well for him and he's using it as pr to further himself. Nothing more nothing less.

How could you not give him credit for the outcome? Who do you give credit to! Papa John?

Jurich's comment was consistent with media thinking, consistent with comments he made in the outset of the crisis. Go back and look at some of the articles, they were despondent and it sounded as if UConn getting in was a foregone conclusion.

But he kept at it, and got his school the votes selling the football program to a conference that needs football credibility more than anything.

And yes, people who are leaders at that level tend to be competitive and egotistical. It comes with the territory.

Reaction Score
Trying isn't the same thing as doing it well. We did poorly. And have taken very little action to influence popular perception. Giving interviews in NPR doesn't give you much reach.

Reaction Score

One last thought. Isn't blaming misfortune on things out of our control EXACTLY what you guys are doing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Who?

Reaction Score
Zoo, my thoughts exactly. Someone who knows a little bit about initially told me UConn was shoe in barring unforeseen circumstances. Well unforeseen circumstances ended up being that fans of acc schools started calling their ads and presidents saying take louisvulle , UConn football sucks. We took a beating media wise. The person told me UConn could really use a "surrogate" to make their case in the public. He suggested someone like Jim Calhoun. Our surrogate never came and we were out hustled.

If nothing else, I hope Herbst and Manual learned to forget collegiately, and really makes its case when the opportunity presents itself, because as that big 12 official said, "if you monitor, you get passed by. This is cutthroat.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Trying isn't the same thing as doing it well. We did poorly. And have taken very little action to influence popular perception. Giving interviews in NPR doesn't give you much reach.

"Giving interviews in NPR doesn't give you much reach."

Thank God for that one silver lining. One can only hope not more than 3 people heard the propaganda disseminated by Connecticut leadership on that program....

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
We got passed over by the ACC because we didn't have the votes. It was 6 for and 6 against. Miami, Fl. St, Clemson GT Nc St and BC voted no for Uconn. I am not sure if Vir. Left for the Big we would be the next team going to the ACC. Half the teams in the ACC just didn't want Uconn in their conf.. I believe Uconn is still a difficult sell to these teams.

Where did you come across that list of votes?

Reaction Score
Calhoun is too close to UConn to be a surrogate.

What we needed were several types if surrogates. An official institutional one such as UNC, to lobby current members directly on our behalf, a few influential media types to bring critical facts to bear in the public sphere, and perhaps a well connected consultancy or law firm from "down there" to help us navigate the water better in the south and help us build some contacts. We probably should have hired those guys after the Syrapitt announcement.

We have been playing at checkers and everyone else is playing Masters Chess.

Louisville had two influential football schools as their surrogates, they had the entire media singing their praises and repeating inaccurate info about us (hello.... Those one year sanctions are a distant memory by the time we would be in the ACC).

The whole thing was one big debacle. And many people here saw it coming. We were counting votes from jump street and knew that UConn was going to have some challenges getting in, even if the traditional ACC hierarchy had us on deck.

First you saw the statement from the Clemson President about how he didn't understand further expansion north.

I'm not sure how you run this campaign in the Virgin Islands watching Women's Basketball.

You are what you do when it matters most, and when it mattered, Warde and company showed what they cared about most by leaving town.

How do you make an argument that football is important to your school when you are in the Virgin Islands watching basketball, while the best opportunity the school may ever have to secure a viable future is flashing by?

You simply can't.

Zoo, my thoughts exactly. Someone who knows a little bit about initially told me UConn was shoe in barring unforeseen circumstances. Well unforeseen circumstances ended up being that fans of acc schools started calling their ads and presidents saying take louisvulle , UConn football sucks. We took a beating media wise. The person told me UConn could really use a "surrogate" to make their case in the public. He suggested someone like Jim Calhoun. Our surrogate never came and we were out hustled.

If nothing else, I hope Herbst and Manual learned to forget collegiately, and really makes its case when the opportunity presents itself, because as that big 12 official said, "if you monitor, you get passed by. This is cutthroat.

Reaction Score
"Giving interviews in NPR doesn't give you much reach."

Thank God for that one silver lining. One can only hope not more than 3 people heard the propaganda disseminated by Connecticut leadership on that program....

Making the case for UConn sports on CT public radio is tantamount to selling hunting rifles at a PETA convention. Most of the people listening would cancel sports to bolster the East African Women's Poetry Department and the rest don't care.

Reaction Score
Just simply Crazy Talk.

Words like Botched. Concepts like "we lost the ACC because our AD & President were watching a stupid girls tournament in the USVI". Really? HAVE ANY OF YOU BEEN IN ANY KIND OF COMPLEX BUSINESS? Lay out the ACC decision tree & think of what their voting consisted of. I maintain, when we all look across the landscape, that Louisville was the obvious choice. 85% of that is a much better Football Program today when measured by Stadium (facilities overall), History/Tradition, Fan Base (attendance at their new expanded stadium PLUS their traveling), AD support & stature, Support from the business community, the Idea that they will pay Charlie Strong $3.7m on an 8 year deal, Recruiting base & track record.

NOTE: the ACC's criteria is dramatically different than the Lead Dog B1G ... which valued Markets/Future Growth, Academic stature, penetration in strategic markets.

Given a fair assessment of what ultimately the ACC looked at, UConn wasn't a close second. We have done a fabulous job since 1998. But, read that sentence again: 1998. We don't have legs in this game. We can project ... but our projection looks weak when you look at the last 3 years of Charlie Strong versus PP. Please stop this inane whining. We are a young Program. The only thing that can set us on a better course is continued working the Football program to be competitive. When you think like NC State, VaTech, FSU, Georgia Tech ... we had no chance to elbow out Louisville. Then we have our friends at BC.

Reaction Score
Making the case for UConn sports on CT public radio is tantamount to selling hunting rifles at a PETA convention. Most of the people listening would cancel sports to bolster the East African Women's Poetry Department and the rest don't care.

Bingo. Other than a lame attempt to impress a very limited audience of profs and other "smart" people it was a waste of time and a sign SH doesn't understand or know where the "hearts and minds" battlefield is where she should really be spending her time on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom