If you had to pick 1 game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you had to pick 1 game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Burrell to George, the shot

I watched that game in the common room in college with a few other uconn fans. I remember uconn was killing them and they switched away from the game. When they switched back they were losing. We were in shock after the shot and stormed up the stairs shouting UCONN UCONN UCONN. This took place at Green mountain college in Vermont:) The only other sporting event that even compares that I watched in college was Mike Tyson getting knocked out by Buster Douglas, that seemed just as improbable....

Reaction Score
KO's first game as head coach. Big stage and a crucial time for UConn bball. We showed the world we weren't going anywhere and we got our first taste of revenge against MSU, which made it even sweeter. That game screams what UConn hoops is all about.

Such a memorable moment as the first college game ever played overseas in front of the wonderful men and women who serve this country.

Reaction Score
2004 Final Four Semis vs Duke.

1999 Finals.

Any game in BE tourney 1990.

Georgetown in the HCC 1990.

Kemba beating KY in Maui 2010

Any one of the above work for me.

Reaction Score
uconn01.jpg

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
2004 Final Four Semis vs Duke.

1999 Finals.

Any game in BE tourney 1990.

Georgetown in the HCC 1990.

Kemba beating KY in Maui 2010

Any one of the above work for me.
Great list. Let's add Ray vs. Georgetown in '96, and the Elite 8 win over Michigan State in 2014.

That MSU game still just blows me away: the stakes, the performance from the team, the venue, and the crowd. When you have people saying "that's the loudest MSG has been since Willis," you know you've done something special.

FWIW, that win over Georgetown is and will forever remain the best and most important regular season win in program history.

Reaction Score
Another amazing game: the 2004 BE Championship against Pitt. An all-out war of attrition, dominated by Ben Gordon who simply owned MSG with majestic shots in the biggest moments.

I bought four 6th row tickets behind the Pitt basket from a Syracuse fan after the fruit lost. For all the great games my now-college aged kids have seen live, they still talk about the intensity that never stopped in that game. Memorable.

caw

Reaction Score
1998 sweet sixteen against UW. That game was intense and the final play convinced me, regardless of what happened against UNC, if RIP came back UConn would have a very good chance of winning it all in 1999.

Reaction Score
Road win at #7 Indiana in 2008. Nobody had us winning that game. We were unranked, coming off a disappointing season and without Doug and Dyson who were suspended for smoking trees. JC got real emotional in the post game presser. Definitely one of my favorite wins and it pretty much sums up what UConn bball is all about.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
So many to chose from but:

2002 Big East tournament championship game vs. Pitt. 74 to 65 victory
Double over time, me and my sister got tickets up in blue section(When the garden had a blue section).
It was one of those games that is etched in my UCONN memory forever!

I will never forget I got a standing ovation when I was running back from getting a beer and I slipped down 5 stairs on my butt. I held that beer tall and high and never spilled a drop! That was the moment I knew the night was ours!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Probably the Duke game in 2004. I was too young to really appreciate '99, but was in high school in 2004 and fully engaged. When Rashad hit that huge 3, I nearly hit the ceiling. Then Emeka took over. I remember being so excited that we were gonna get the chance for revenge on Georgia State, although I had no idea we'd run them out of the gym like we did. Think we were up 20 at halftime. That team was flat out dominant.

Reaction Score
I've been watching since Dream season and even earlier, wow that dream season, Tate if only... The Michigan State game for sure and when Giffey hit that dunk in the second half, that Garden was nuts! Another great game was against Texas in January 2010 at Gampel- Texas came in ranked #1, UConn took them apart, the monster dunk by Stanley early in the game off the half-court pass was unbelievable, that was the greatest dunk I've seen in a UConn game. What a talent he was ! Talk about a loud gym!

RRV17A

NYC
Reaction Score
Even though we lost, which was terrible, 6 OTs was a really special game to be at. I'll never forget that night and I can only imagine how I would feel about it if we came out on top.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Another amazing game: the 2004 BE Championship against Pitt. An all-out war of attrition, dominated by Ben Gordon who simply owned MSG with majestic shots in the biggest moments.

I bought four 6th row tickets behind the Pitt basket from a Syracuse fan after the fruit lost. For all the great games my now-college aged kids have seen live, they still talk about the intensity that never stopped in that game. Memorable.
That was one of the most memorable games of my life, and one that is in the pantheon of most painful UConn victories (along with '99 Gonzaga and '04 Duke).

I scalped tickets outside MSG for me and two friends--after successfully scalping for literally hundreds of events in this country and abroad--and got burned with fakes for the first and only time in my life. I actually found the guy again after we got turned away at the door and I went ballistic on him. I was foaming at the mouth, calling for the cops, and scaring off dozens of other sales from other unsuspecting dupes (many with young kids, the only part I am proud of). The folks around him warned me to get the hell away before I got hurt, and my buddies somehow found me and wisely pulled me away. They then secured other decent tickets, which coincidentally happened to be among Jamie Dixon's extended family.

When we were down eight points with like eight minutes left, it felt like 20 points. Emeka was hurting and Ben took control.

The ultimate win was unbelievable and made everything up to that point totally worth it.

Made plans for San Antonio a few days later, only to relive similar trauma (not scalping, but brutal win) vs. Duke. And then the cakewalk vs. GT.

Man, it's so great to be a fan of this team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1967. Wes Bialasuknia goes for 44 vs New Hampshire at The Field House. I was hooked.
yeah I was 12 years old and with my father - a season ticket holder then and until 2008 when he passed away - I think that was the game that placed Wes as the nation's scoring leader at that point. Lots of GREAT memories in that fieldhouse - I remember Cliff's first game and the guy behind us kept making fun of him and my father turned around - told the guy to shut up and he would be seeing Cliff playing for a longtime. The guy laughed and told my Dad he was an idiot.................
After seeing so many games and so many BE tourney games I think of all the 100s of games - the one that resonates with me is the 2004 BE final vs Pitt. Okafor was in pain and Ben looked a bit off in the first half BUT those warriors would not die and beat a really strong Pitt team on shear guts and emotion- also the 2011 BE final vs Louisville was special.

Reaction Score
2014 Elite 8 vs MSU
A home crowd atmosphere at the Garden against an MSU team that literally every ESPN expert picked to win it all. You had a ton of alums there and of course HOF Coach Calhoun in the stands sitting with RIP.

Reaction Score
Jan 20, 1990 UConn beats Georgetown 70-65

It was the very first game I ever watched as a kid. They were introduced to me as the Dark Force. They had the Twin Towers, we had Rod Sellers and Dan Cyrulik. They were a powerhouse, we had heart. That was a special game. Every great uconn team since have all shared that trait- hearts big enough to slay dragons- that and testiculos.

This is also the game when I first got the pleasure of watching Johnny “the microwave” Gwynn play basketball like Bo Jackson plays tecmo bowl. So sweet.

Reaction Score
2014 Final Four vs. Florida. The guard play, hard nose defense, and the mindset to never give up perfectly represents UConn.

One of my picks also, first one that came to mind. Second would be all Kemba's tournament runs.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So many
Duke in 99
The shot in 90
Every game from the 1/4 final of the BE to the NC in 11
Duke in 04
The whole NCAA Tourney in 14
That Pitt game with Khalid
The BE tournament in 90
The first game at Gampel

Reaction Score
i followed them from around 1989 just before the miracle season because my father was into them. I loved them because he loved them so there was no individual game that got me hooked. But one early moment that always stuck out was 1994 big east game vs seton hall 6:30 left in the game uconn up by 4 donyell marshall steals ball just before half court takes it all the way with a 360 degree dunk.
Similarly, I grew up watching UConn because of my father. He was a huge fan from pretty much forever--driving up to Syracuse for the BET before I was born, etc.--and when I was young he would get so into the games that he wouldn't let me in the room. I remember parts of the Jackson State loss, the Florida loss, the UCLA loss, but those were games he was so upset about he threw me out.

1996 was the first year he really let me watch the games with him, and I remember the end of the Georgetown game as probably the highest point. Then 1998 vs. Washington topped it. By that point I yelled at the TV as much as he did so we had to watch the game in separate rooms and we'd talk and argue in the hallway (much to my mom's dismay). The 1999 title game is probably the happiest I've even been about a sporting event, and is certainly the moment I most cherish with my father. I didn't see a lot of the huge wins with him after--watched the 2004 Alabama game and the 2009 Missouri game...and the 2006 George Mason game, sadly.

But yeah...the 1996 Georgetown game and the 1999 Duke game stand out as emotionally charged games for me.

Reaction Score
This will probably be unpopular but for me its UConn Butler 2011 Championship. Ugliest game I've ever seen but we asserted our will at the end and for all of Kemba's work to be rewarded with a championship was just priceless to me. Helped that I was a student at the time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom