If you had to pick 1 game... | The Boneyard

If you had to pick 1 game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you had to point to one specific game to explain to someone why you're so in love with UCONN basketball, which game would you show them. One game that epitomizes why you would skip your cousins sweet 16 (Arizona elite 8 2011). Or why you spent your aunts entire wedding sitting at the adjoining bar (Cincinnati AAC quarterfinals 2015). One game that you can look back on and think "THAT is what UCONN basketball is all about."

Even if it's just your own personal favorite. Like the first game you ever went to, or the last game you watched with your grandfather before he passed. What game means more to you than the rest.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
My first ever game: March 1st, 2003, senior night vs. Seton Hall. Not a remarkable game by any means, but in hindsight I feel so damn lucky that the senior ceremony was the first in-person experience I had with UConn basketball. The players and families who walked out onto that court seemed so unbelievably grateful for the past four years - for the university, for Calhoun, for the young men that made up the UConn basketball family. I didn't have the verbal capacity to express it at that age, but somehow it got across the point that UConn basketball is more than just a game, a jersey, or a trophy. It's life.

Reaction Score
2014 Final Four vs. Florida. The guard play, hard nose defense, and the mindset to never give up perfectly represents UConn.
And here's a picture that captures the sentiment (I'm pretty sure the three crosses on the tattoo represented the deaths of MSU, Florida, and Kentucky).
Wilbekin_Scottie_Florida_Gators_Basketball_040514_USAToday1-940-wplok.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@Stairmaster 's post made me think of the game when I first got bitten by the bug.

February 20, 1985, 71-69 win over Syracuse at the Civic Center. I was a freshmen and to that point that was the most exciting sporting event I had ever attended. We were still the Big East doormat back then, but we had some fight and Earl Kelly beat the vaunted Pearl Washington in that game. We chanted "EARL KELLY IS THE REAL PEARL!" as we ran through the halls after the win. The place was really going nuts. I found a pay phone (remember those?) in the hallway and called my father because I was so excited, and I wanted him to hear the mayhem.

Yeah, that was the start for me.

Reaction Score
Cliche as it is....Duke '99. That's the top game in UCONN history, one of the top games in NCAA history. And emblematic of who UCONN is as a program.
Laughing at myself, and potentially coming up with a "die-hard-fan" test.
Just fired up this game on youtube and, when went down 9-2, I started getting anxious! Hilarious. Saw this game with best friend, in center of living room, with borrowed TV set up on a chair 2' in front of us (pre-flat screen days), getting loaded on homemade mulberry wine. One of the top moments as a fan in my life.

Reaction Score
i followed them from around 1989 just before the miracle season because my father was into them. I loved them because he loved them so there was no individual game that got me hooked. But one early moment that always stuck out was 1994 big east game vs seton hall 6:30 left in the game uconn up by 4 donyell marshall steals ball just before half court takes it all the way with a 360 degree dunk.

Reaction Score
Versus UMass and some kid named Julius. All I remember is my dad saying he did not belong on the court.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So many to choose from. But being at the 2011 big east championship game would be mine. My friends would be Michigan state at the garden for the tourney

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
KO's first game as head coach. Big stage and a crucial time for UConn bball. We showed the world we weren't going anywhere and we got our first taste of revenge against MSU, which made it even sweeter. That game screams what UConn hoops is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom