OT: - If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era.

Reaction Score
OK, I'll say it here because it's completely off topic. Today is the 53rd university of man landing on the moon. Remarkably, this is hardly covered anyway. Check my math. I think it's the 53rd, but I could be wrong. When I majored in math it was only letters (mostly Greek), not numbers. The integral of "e" to the x, is "e" to the x, which I think is the definition of the number "e". No one takes "e" to millions of decimal places like pi. Where is the equity? God could be hiding in the answer, then again, maybe not...

Stupid and easy trivia question: what were the first words spoken from the moon?
“One small step for man, one giant step for GENO..”

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
OK, I'll say it here because it's completely off topic. Today is the 53rd university of man landing on the moon. Remarkably, this is hardly covered anyway. Check my math. I think it's the 53rd, but I could be wrong. When I majored in math it was only letters (mostly Greek), not numbers. The integral of "e" to the x, is "e" to the x, which I think is the definition of the number "e". No one takes "e" to millions of decimal places like pi. Where is the equity? God could be hiding in the answer, then again, maybe not...

Stupid and easy trivia question: what were the first words spoken from the moon?
This song captures the spirit of a young boy, which I was at the time, beautifully.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This (I think) BY FAR was the most significant event in the history of mankind (the world was watching). Most of us should remember exactly were we were when man first landed on the moon 53 years ago today. I certainly remember were I was. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This (I think) BY FAR was the most significant event in the history of mankind (the world was watching). Most of us should remember exactly were we were when man first landed on the moon 53 years ago today. I certainly remember were I was. :cool:
Many of us remember events such as man landing on the moon. I'll offer up Kennedy being shot, Bobby Kennedy being shot, Martin Luther King being shot, the World Trade Center.

But I agree with you, the ultimate of human achievement has to be man landing on the moon. Less than 65 years from powered flight to the moon. Lotsa luck trying to beat that achievement. 12 NC's look a little small by comparison. Having said that, I want #12.

Reaction Score
What?!!! Am I the only boneyarder who owns a “Plunk Your Magic Twanger” tee shirt? (I really do!) Froggy was my favorite Saturday morning character because he was a trouble maker (like me) and not a goody two shoes like that Howdy puppet.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
What?!!! Am I the only boneyarder who owns a “Plunk Your Magic Twanger” tee shirt? (I really do!) Froggy was my favorite Saturday morning character because he was a trouble maker (like me) and not a goody two shoes like that Howdy puppet.
Don't forget Squeaky the Mouse and Midnight the Cat (Niiiiice)

You reminded me that I once had an Eddie Haskell T-Shirt. Surprised?

Reaction Score
Don't forget Squeaky the Mouse and Midnight the Cat (Niiiiice)

You reminded me that I once had an Eddie Haskell T-Shirt. Surprised?
Not surprised at all. Eddie was an iconic trouble maker and deserved to be on a tee shirt. I do not recall Squeaky but I do remember Midnight. One of the greatest voice artists of all time, June Foray, was the voice behind the “niiiice”. That reminds me. June Foray was also the voice for another one of my favorite late 50’s trouble makers - Natasha Fatale (she also voiced Rocket J. Squirrel).

UHF

Reaction Score
John Wayne actually died of stomach cancer. In case you didn't know, John Wayne was part of a movie where almost half of the cast and crew died of cancer. It was filmed in Utah, downwind from a nuclear testing site in Nevada. Although they were assured it was safe, it wasn't. Read the sad details in this article.

Yes, I knew about that cancer and the dangerous movie site. One of his lungs was removed 15 years prior to his death because of cancer. Big fan of the Duke. I own 85 John Wayne movies on DVD.

Carnac

Reaction Score
How about one of my mom's favorites, S&H Green Stamps.
Remember Blue Chip Stamps? The grocery store we shopped at gave those to their customers.

UHF

Reaction Score
NV_0517_Bidwell_Large.jpg

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
How many BYers ruined their 1950s and 1960s baseball cards on their bicycles or playing flip games?

BN-PX321_MICKEY_J_20160920130506.jpeg
I did, and once my kids got into it, I really got pissed off at myself. Topsys and closest to the wall we played all the time.

Reaction Score
Wow!

Transistor radios.
These bring back memories.
Thanks for posting these photos.

At the time, they were the in thing.

As a kid, I remember listening to the San Fran Giants baseball games on the one I had. I also liked 1010 WINS which is still a functioning and now news only station, I think.

On my transistor radio, I used to like to hear the Drifters song, There Goes My Baby. Was my favorite song then along with the Ronette's Be My Baby.

All this in 1960. Wish I could remember what I did yesterday.

Reaction Score
Transistor radios: the first one I saw was a very nice Mitsubishi a friend had. Made by the people who made the Betty bombers and Zero fighters faced by our fathers and uncles in the Pacific a few years earlier. The first nice thing from Japan I saw after the cheap stuff from the immediate post war years. A sign that Japan was getting back on its feet.

Speaking of airplanes, I miss the distinctive sound of airliners with radial engines - read Pratt & Whitney - that has been replaced by the whine of jets, also mostly P&W. Whenever I hear an airplane, I still look up.

Reaction Score
Many of us remember events such as man landing on the moon. I'll offer up Kennedy being shot, Bobby Kennedy being shot, Martin Luther King being shot, the World Trade Center.

But I agree with you, the ultimate of human achievement has to be man landing on the moon. Less than 65 years from powered flight to the moon. Lotsa luck trying to beat that achievement. 12 NC's look a little small by comparison. Having said that, I want #12.
You both have hit on the most significant events for many of our old-timers. I remember being in school when JFK was shot. There was an announcement on the intercom that all the teachers were called to a meeting, leaving the students in their classroom wondering what was going on, but we knew it was something major. When my teacher returned to the class with a serious look on her face she told the kids the president had been shot.

Only a few days later there was another major shocking event on live TV. When Lee Harvey Oswald was being transferred between buildings, they had live coverage of it, so quite a few people saw Jack Ruby murder him when it actually happened.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow!

Transistor radios.
These bring back memories.
Thanks for posting these photos.

At the time, they were the in thing.

As a kid, I remember listening to the San Fran Giants baseball games on the one I had. I also liked 1010 WINS which is still a functioning and now news only station, I think.

On my transistor radio, I used to like to hear the Drifters song, There Goes My Baby. Was my favorite song then along with the Ronette's Be My Baby.

All this in 1960. Wish I could remember what I did yesterday.
Most of us “mature” individuals have great long term memory. Most of us remember ALL of the things mentioned in the video, and the things our fellow posters have shared.

Its the recent events some of us have trouble remembering, like what we had for dinner last night, or of the name of a person we were introduced to 30 minutes ago. :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
How many BYers ruined their 1950s and 1960s baseball cards on their bicycles or playing flip games?

BN-PX321_MICKEY_J_20160920130506.jpeg
I only used cards of players I didn’t like or had duplicates cards if. I still have a very few baseball cards frome the late 50’s and early 60’s. One is a Tim McCarver card. I think its his rookie card. Its packed away in a box with my Batman, Ironman, Superman, Mad Magazines and my Archie comics cira 1958-1967. I’m saving them to give to my grandchildren upon my dimise with instructions to find out if any of them are worth anything. Some of my collection is already over 60 years old.

UHF

Reaction Score
I only used cards of players I didn’t like or had duplicates cards if. I still have a very few baseball cards frome the late 50’s and early 60’s. One is a Tim McCarver card. I think its his rookie card. Its packed away in a box with my Batman, Ironman, Superman, Mad Magazines and my Archie comics cira 1958-1967. I’m saving them to give to my grandchildren upon my dimise with instructions to find out if any of them are worth anything. Some of my collection is already over 60 years old.

I have 1955 Bowman baseball cards of the GOAT Hank Aaron and Mickey Mantle.
Unfortunately they are not in Gem Mint 10 condition. :oops:

Reaction Score
Most of us “mature” individuals have great long term memory. Most of us remember ALL of the things mentioned in the video, and the things our fellow posters have shared.

Its the recent events some of us have trouble remembering, like what we had for dinner last night, or of the name of a person we were introduced to 30 minutes ago. :confused:
Absolutely. How true!

How about remembering the name we heard 5 minutes ago when we were introduced.

I think the best way to remember is to talk to that person and use his or her name in the discussion. Then, we have a better chance to remember the name.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom