OT: - If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era. | The Boneyard

OT: If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I stumbled across this on YouTube quite by accident today. I found it interesting, thought I'd share. Growing up in the 50's, this took me down memory lane as I remember most of the items/things/TV shows featured. Remember S&H Green Stamps, candy cigarettes and classic black & white saddle shoes? Those were great times. If this jogs your memory and brings back some special memories, please feel free to share. :) Life in America in the 50's. Like Archie and Edith sang....those were the days.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
In the sixties I delivered the morning newspaper in a Pittsburgh suburb. I would always have a few extra papers that I could sell to someone waiting for the bus or streetcar. Sometimes I would trade a paper to the guys in the bakery for a few doughnuts or fresh bread. And I could get a chocolate milk from one of the many milkmen I encountered along my route for a paper on warm mornings. Good times for me back then, but not so much for some others. I was a fortunate kid for sure. Our neighborhood was nice, safe , and had plenty of kids too. But I am certain it looks better in the rearview mirror. ;)

Reaction Score
Hula hoops, coonskin caps, and sock hops in high school gyms. Black & white TV and frequent fiddling with the antenna. Cigarettes from vending machines with pennies on the side of the pack: change for a quarter when they cost a bit less than they do today.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The 50s, I recall vividly the fear of being persecuted / killed for being different.
Wasn’t great for women, either

C4178DFA-7479-42D9-BDEC-C1405D3C18AA.jpeg

Reaction Score
The last picture of stacking playing cards brings back memories.

Decades after I stopped drinking whole milk, I habitually shook milk containers to mix in the non-existent layer of cream on top.

Thankfully, borninansonia, I lived in Willimantic where everyone of various religions, creeds and national backgrounds lived well together.

It was true that from a very young age, after coming home after school, we would take off to places unknown and get back by dinnertime.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Early fifties- being amazed when neighbor kids on our dead end street told our gang of ragamuffins that girls shouldn’t wear patent leather shoes. Apparently their teacher was concerned that us little boys might see a reflection of the girls's u-trow.

Fourth of July and Halloween- taking galvanized steel trash cans from garages, filling them with water from a garden hose, dropping lit fuse ashcans or cherry bombs into the water and running like the devil. The plume of water from the explosion was great fun, while the broken seams of the metal can had to be hidden when we returned them to their respective garages.

We were a rowdy bunch of five to seven year olds.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks Java. Yes, I remember most of those items mentioned. I remember a girlfriend of my mother giving us a ride in her brand new 1955 Cadillac. I also remember 24 cents a gallon gas.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Two personal experiences of the fifties.
1. Davy Crockett first appeared as a three part series on Wonderful World of Disney. Of course we all watched it in black and white. So when it came to movie theaters in full color, kids mobbed the theaters. When I went, every seat was taken, and we sat on the floor in front of the first row. I'm sure fire codes were broken.

2. Late in the fifties, I went to see Elvis in King Creole. It was adult themed, and Elvis did a pretty good job of acting. But every time a song came on, kids started screaming and dancing in the aisles. They had to stop the movie, turn the lights up, and wait for everyone to get back in their seats. This repeated every time a song came on throughout the entire movie. Boy, we were such juvenile delinquents back then.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Our "culture" has me yearning for the 50s a lot of the time. Here's one item that some of you may recall. The Pensy Pinky handball. I flogged the heck out of a lot of them with my buddies playing one wall all summer.
In my neighborhood the choice was the Pensy Pinky or the Spalding. I preferred the Spalding, but the Pinky's had a nice bounce. Yeah. When "Hindu's" were do overs.

Reaction Score
Our "culture" has me yearning for the 50s a lot of the time. Here's one item that some of you may recall. The Pensy Pinky handball. I flogged the heck out of a lot of them with my buddies playing one wall all summer.
There were two staples for kids in Queens in the 50s: 1) a Spaldeen and 2} white chalk!

Reaction Score
A few boneyarders mentioned going to the movie theater, but no one mentioned going to drive-in theaters that were very popular at the time. Most towns/cities had one and they provided a little more privacy for you and your date. As I recall, the Mansfield Drive-in was closest to UConn and it is now one of the few still operating in the state.

Reaction Score
A few boneyarders mentioned going to the movie theater, but no one mentioned going to drive-in theaters that were very popular at the time. Most towns/cities had one and they provided a little more privacy for you and your date. As I recall, the Mansfield Drive-in was closest to UConn and it is now one of the few still operating in the state.
The drive-in in Southington might still be operating. Used to take my kids there. Southington had 2 screens. Of course, the kids would fight over which screen to watch. Yes, those were the days...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Black and white TV....watching Roy Rogers/Hopalong Cassidy and the Lone Ranger catch the bad guys.
Howdy Doody...especially when Clarabel sprayed Buffalo Bob in the face with water.

BTW: TV Land nowadays still carries some reruns from those days. I happened to see a Lone Ranger episode and the dialogue they gave Tonto was just like scratching nails on a chalkboard. Frankly the only reason the Lone Ranger caught anybody was that the bad guys were even dumber than he was....which must have taken great effort by the writers.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I grew up in the 50s and, looking back on it, didn't like much of it at all. Yes, they certainly were more innocent times, but great? Now for me.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
BTW: TV Land nowadays still carries some reruns from those days. I happened to see a Lone Ranger episode and the dialogue they gave Tonto was just like scratching nails on a chalkboard. Frankly the only reason the Lone Ranger caught anybody was that the bad guys were even dumber than he was....which must have taken great effort by the writers.
Tonto's point of view (and Silver's):

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The 50s are a little early for me, but I’m sure some of these 60s memories are applicable too:

1. Come home when the street lights come on. You would leave like at 8 o’clock after breakfast come home at night. Nobody particularly worried about it. That gave you a tremendous amount of freedom, autonomy, and self-confidence.

2. Who’s ever house you were at, their mom was making you lunch, or dinner if it was evening. Everybody’s mom was everybody’s mom.

3. Building tree forts. I don’t know the kids today have the equivalent of this. But we would just head out in the woods and build a tree fort. It never occurred to us to think about who’s property we were on, or whether we were allowed to build stuff on it.

“Who’s woods these are, I have no idea.
I think I’ll build a tree fort here.

Sometimes we would borrow nails or wood from who’s ever house we started out from. Sometimes we “liberated“ scraps from a building site, usually with permission. Sometimes we would cut down trees and just use that. We used nails if we had them or lashed things together if we didn’t.

4. Camping out. Sometimes we would just randomly camp out. Again, I have no idea whose land we were on. A favorites spot was in a pasture that wasn’t that far from my house. Pretty much everyone knew how to pitch a tent, make a fire, cook that kind of stuff. Again, you just had more self-reliance.

5. Unorganized sports. Baseball in the spring and football in the fall. No one set it up for us. We were just grab a ball and go out and play. Often, neighborhoods competed against one another. The only trophy we got were bragging rights. Those games could get pretty heated, but ultimately we worked out any issues among ourselves. Everybody played but the better/older kids got the skill positions.

6. Looking out for kids in the neighborhood. If a younger kid from the neighbor was getting picked on you’d stand up for him. It was an unwritten rule.

7. Asking trucks to sound their air horn. I have no idea about the origin of this, but pretty much everyone did it. Whenever you saw a truck you would make a fist and make a pulling down motion and the driver would be beep his air horn at you.

8. Going fishing. “Wanna go fishing?“ “Sure.“ ‘Nuff said.

9. Riding bikes. Your friend live on the other side of town, no worries, hop on your bike and get there.

10. Swimming. Pretty much wherever there was an open body of water, you were going to go swimming in it. Ponds, quarries, or, in my case since I live near the shore, the ocean. No lifeguards? No problem.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The 50s are a little early for me, but I’m sure some of these 60s memories are applicable too:

. . .

6. Looking out for kids in the neighborhood. If a younger kid from the neighbor was getting picked on you’d stand up for him. It was an unwritten rule.
I was born in the 60's, too, and almost everything in the OP was applicable to my youth.

Re: your point: I remember when I was about 7 or 8, I was in the car with my father (front seat, no seatbelt, of course) and a kid wiped out spectacularly on his bike right in front of us. Bleeding from the head and knee and elbow I knew him a little from the bus, but my father didn't know him from Adam. My father brought him into the car, I loaded his bike into the back, and my father asked where he lived. We brought him home, his parents were very thankful.

Never at any point were there any suspicions of ulterior motives. A couple of decades ago, I was waiting at the bus stop for my daughter. The bus driver wouldn't let her out because it was usually my wife who picked her up. (My wife had told the driver in the morning that I'd be waiting, but evidently he wasn't paying attention.) We jawed back and forth for a few minutes, finally a neighbor kid stood up for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom