OT: - If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: If you grew up in the 50's, you'll remember some of these things from that era.

Reaction Score
Just recalled the names Alan Freed and Dick Clark.

New Haven actually had a bandstand hosted by a local DJ.

Lots of big cities had street corner accappella.

Even today on YouTube, there are still older guys performing it.

Even today, some Euro groups perform it with original material.

One group is the Crystalairs from Germany
"Connecticut Bandstand" was New Haven's, originally hosted by Jim Gallant, followed by Elliot "Biggie" Nevins.

Reaction Score
Thanks Java. Yes, I remember most of those items mentioned. I remember a girlfriend of my mother giving us a ride in her brand new 1955 Cadillac. I also remember 24 cents a gallon gas.
12 cent regular, 16 cents hi test

Reaction Score
grew up in west haven. 50cents allowance. spent 15 getting into the rivoli theater, 15 cents on soda and candy or popcorn. 20 cents left for the week. woohoo!! had to turn the roof antenna to get the NY stations

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A bit more trivia. I remember Bob Keeshan on a local show (channel 7) for preschoolers in 1953 called the Tinker's Workshop. I was six at the time. So, I looked it up on Wiki, and found this:

By September 21, 1953, Keeshan came back to local TV on WABC-TV, Channel 7 in New York City, in a new children's show, Time for Fun. He played Corny the Clown, and this time he spoke.[21] Later that same year, in addition to Time for Fun, he began Tinker's Workshop, a program aimed at preschoolers, where he played the grandfather-like Tinker.[22]

Developing ideas from Tinker's Workshop, Keeshan and his long-time friend Jack Miller submitted the concept of Captain Kangaroo to the CBS network, which was looking for innovative approaches to children's television programming. CBS approved the show, and Keeshan starred as the title character when it premiered on CBS on October 3, 1955.[21] He described his character as based on "the warm relationship between grandparents and children". The show was an immediate success, and he served as its host for nearly three decades.
Happy the Clown

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just recalled the names Alan Freed and Dick Clark.

New Haven actually had a bandstand hosted by a local DJ.

Lots of big cities had street corner accappella.

Even today on YouTube, there are still older guys performing it.

Even today, some Euro groups perform it with original material.

One group is the Crystalairs from Germany
I am still performing it.

Reaction Score
A bit more trivia. I remember Bob Keeshan on a local show (channel 7) for preschoolers in 1953 called the Tinker's Workshop. I was six at the time. So, I looked it up on Wiki, and found this:

By September 21, 1953, Keeshan came back to local TV on WABC-TV, Channel 7 in New York City, in a new children's show, Time for Fun. He played Corny the Clown, and this time he spoke.[21] Later that same year, in addition to Time for Fun, he began Tinker's Workshop, a program aimed at preschoolers, where he played the grandfather-like Tinker.[22]

Developing ideas from Tinker's Workshop, Keeshan and his long-time friend Jack Miller submitted the concept of Captain Kangaroo to the CBS network, which was looking for innovative approaches to children's television programming. CBS approved the show, and Keeshan starred as the title character when it premiered on CBS on October 3, 1955.[21] He described his character as based on "the warm relationship between grandparents and children". The show was an immediate success, and he served as its host for nearly three decades.
I remember the Ranger Andy Show out of Hartford, WTIC 3 and also in my end of the state there was the Salty Brine Show out of RI?

Reaction Score
grew up in west haven. 50cents allowance. spent 15 getting into the rivoli theater, 15 cents on soda and candy or popcorn. 20 cents left for the week. woohoo!! had to turn the roof antenna to get the NY stations
Most pharmacies or then known as "drug stores," had a soda fountain, and we enjoyed those ice cream sodas with the flavored syrups.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I must say that I am surprised that this thread has grown the legs that it has. Thanks to all of you that read this post and decided to share. I read everyone of them. Sometimes it's nice to visit the past and go down memory lane, even if it's only for a moment or two. For most of us, is was a much simpler time in our lives. We had freedoms we don't now, and took things for granted we can't now.

We didn't have any of the modern convivences we have now, but we didn't miss them. You don't miss things you never had. I think the micro-processor was one of the biggest most important inventions of the 20th century. EVERYTHING today is run or operated by computer or micro-processors including our precious cellphones, flat screen smart TV's, our smart cars that do everything now (drive themselves) but make our morning coffee for us, and the computers we use to access our beloved boneyard.

Of course we all miss the family members and childhood friends (playmates) that were still with us back then. Loved ones are the thing I miss most. One thing I didn't mention is how some songs make me remember or think about people, places or events from my past. Relationships we were in at that time (high school) etc. That sounds like a topic for another thread. Keep it going. Some of us are really enjoying the childhood experiences that are being shared here by our esteemed Boneyard colleagues.

Everyone have a great day. :)

Reaction Score
Indiana Jones movie scenes filmed in New Haven in 2007 with reworked storefronts.

Reaction Score
Grew up in North Jersey, and early in the 1950's all the Brooklyn Dodger home games were televised, I believe on either channel 9 or 13. I'm a Dodger fan to this day. Before the games watched the Happy Felton Knothole Gang, where kids from all around the city would field balls thrown or batted by a Dodger player. Wanted so badly to get on that show.

Reaction Score
I must say that I am surprised that this thread has grown the legs that it has. Thanks to all of you that read this post and decided to share. I read everyone of them. Sometimes it's nice to visit the past and go down memory lane, even if it's only for a moment or two. For most of us, is was a much simpler time in our lives. We had freedoms we don't now, and took things for granted we can't now.

We didn't have any of the modern convivences we have now, but we didn't miss them. You don't miss things you never had. I think the micro-processor was one of the biggest most important inventions of the 20th century. EVERYTHING today is run or operated by computer or micro-processors including our precious cellphones, flat screen smart TV's, our smart cars that do everything now (drive themselves) but make our morning coffee for us, and the computers we use to access our beloved boneyard.

Of course we all miss the family members and childhood friends (playmates) that were still with us back then. Loved ones are the thing I miss most. One thing I didn't mention is how some songs make me remember or think about people, places or events from my past. Relationships we were in at that time (high school) etc. That sounds like a topic for another thread. Keep it going. Some of us are really enjoying the childhood experiences that are being shared here by our esteemed Boneyard colleagues.

Everyone have a great day. :)
Knowing One, for sure computers and then micro-processors were a big advancement. I worked in the IT industry for 38 years (and 17 days, but who's counting). My father, born in 1918 had an interesting slant that I never heard before. Now this is from a guy who as a little kid would run outside when a plane flew over, all the way to watching a man land on the moon. He always said one of the biggest advantages was packaging. When he was young, nothing was packaged, everything imaginable was loose. Whatever you bought was put in a sack and weighed or otherwise counted. Compare that to today. Interesting perspective...

Reaction Score
I debated as to whether I should admit here that I wore my Davy Crocket coon skin hat around the neighborhood with great pride. I did take it off to play sandlot baseball though. No, I didn't sleep with the thing!
You were fortunate, Hoops66. My big brother got to wear the Davy Crockett coonskin... during our re-enactments, I was Georgie Russell, like it or not.

Among the more distinctive '50s memories for me were having to mow our big and hilly lawn with a hand mower; creating an 18-hole golf course around the yard by digging holes for coffee cans (after watching Arnie win the Masters in '58); walking the mile or so back and forth to our elementary school in the village center; playing tag, hide and seek, the new sensation called wiffle ball (created in Fairfield) and so many other outdoor sports and other games; heading to the movie house with siblings and neighborhood friends to see Saturday matinees... in the process blowing my 25 cent allowance on admission, popcorn and a candy bar; and, of course, having tons of kids over to our house to watch Howdy Doody, The Lone Ranger, etc. on our television, the only one in the neighborhood.

Great job by so many of you for prompting memories for me. Thank you all.

Even at that, and even though I came from a relatively poor family, it didn't take me very long into the '60s as I grew into adolescence to become aware so many people weren't as blessed in their lives as I was.

Reaction Score
A few boneyarders mentioned going to the movie theater, but no one mentioned going to drive-in theaters that were very popular at the time. Most towns/cities had one and they provided a little more privacy for you and your date. As I recall, the Mansfield Drive-in was closest to UConn and it is now one of the few still operating in the state.
Good one, Forego... there was a popular drive-in in Danbury CT, right along Route 7, that my parents took us to maybe once a year. I mostly recall the car being too crowded to ever get comfortable, and I never got to sit in front, but it was still a special treat.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You were fortunate, Hoops66. My big brother got to wear the Davy Crockett coonskin... during our re-enactments, I was Georgie Russell, like it or not.

There are so many wonderful memories for some of us, particularly those who grew up white, middle-class and in safe areas.

Among the more distinctive '50s memories for me were having to mow our big and hilly lawn with a hand mower; creating an 18-hole golf course around the yard by digging holes for coffee cans (after watching Arnie win the Masters in '58); walking the mile or so back and forth to our elementary school in the village center; playing tag, hide and seek, the new sensation called wiffle ball (created in Fairfield) and so many other outdoor sports and other games; heading to the movie house with siblings and neighborhood friends to see Saturday matinees... in the process blowing my 25 cent allowance on admission, popcorn and a candy bar; and, of course, having tons of kids over to our house to watch Howdy Doody, The Lone Ranger, etc. on our television, the only one in the neighborhood.

Great job by so many of you for prompting memories for me. Thank you all.

Even at that, and even though I came from a relatively poor family, it didn't take me very long into the '60s as I grew into adolescence to become aware so many people weren't as blessed in their lives as I was.
I have fond memories of going to the movies with a group of neighbor kids. An adult never went with us as I recall. Our ages ranged from 8-12 years old. Of course the older kids looked out for the younger ones. The Strand, our neighborhood theather was only two blocks away.

We went every Sunday afternoon regardless of what was playing. We always got two movies and a cartoon in between. I can still renember some of the movies we saw: The Fly, The Blob, Attack of the 50 foot woman. She spent half the movie looking/searching for her husband.....Harry. All of the Frankenstien and Wolfman movies.

Two of the scariest movies (we thought) we saw was The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price) and 13 Ghosts. We spent as much time on the floor (hiding) as we did in our seats. 50 cents was more than enough to get in and buy all the snacks, hotdogs, popcorn and sodas you wanted.

On the way home, we laughed and teased each other trying to figure out who spent the most time on the floor. I’ll never forget those childhood memories. While we were having fun, our parents were glad to get us out of the house to a safe place for 3 hours once a week. Looking back, that was a win-win for everybody.

Oh yeah, I had a coonskin cap that I proudly wore around the neighborhood and to school. I was not the only one. There were lots of other kids that did also. I had a Superman and a Zorro outfit too. Come halloween, I was ready. I already had my costumes. ;)

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
;)Two of the scariest movies (we thought) we saw was The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price) and 13 Ghosts. We spent as much time on the floor (hiding) as we did in our seats. 50 cents was more than enough to get in and buy all the snacks, hotdogs, popcorn and sodas you wanted.
Wasn't 13 Ghosts the movie where you wore special glasses to see the ghosts?

I remember the movie Psycho, no one was allowed to be seated after the movie started.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I remember Zacherle. What a low budget laugh. He did some radio in the 70's on WPLJ still mostly in that persona. Jim Kerr was like the star DJ back then. I can still catch Jim Kerr on 104.3 when I'm in the NY area, about 45-50 years later.

FYI, Zacherly is John Zacherle. I had to Wikipedia it...
Death Valley Days can still be seen daily if you have DirecTV, channel 538 (The Western Channel) All of these episodes are good. I love westerns. I record all of these episodes and watch them later at my leisure. There are 452 episodes that were released between March 1952 - April of 1970. My goal is to watch all 452.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I remember the movie Psycho, no one was allowed to be seated after the movie started.
Yes. As with several of his more famous productions, producer William Castle used a gimmick to promote 13 Ghosts, as audience members were given the choice to see the ghosts in 3D. In theaters, most scenes were in black-and-white, but scenes involving ghosts were shown in a process dubbed "Illusion-O".

The filmed elements of the actors and the sets—everything except the ghosts—had a blue filter applied to the footage, while the ghost elements had a red filter and were superimposed over the frame.[4] Audiences received viewing glasses with red and blue cellophane filters. Unlike with early 3D glasses having one eye red and the other cyan or blue, the Illusion-O device required viewers to look through a single color with both eyes.

Looking through the red filter intensified the images of the ghosts, while the blue filter "removed" them.[5] Television and home video releases are edited to simulate the effect without the need for special glasses. I was still looking for "ghosts" with my 3-D glasses around my house for a week after watching this movie. :eek: How many times did you sleep the the light on after watching a scary late night horror movie on TV when you were 5-9 years old?

Carnac

Reaction Score

Yep. Psycho appeared on the bill, along with all of the Abbott & Costello "meets" the _______ movies. The invisible man and of course that old blood sucker Dracula were featured. I remember the preview for psycho warned potential viewers that the doors would be locked after the movie started. Not sure if it was enforced at our theater. We saw ALL the monster movies including Godzilla, Rodan and Ghidorah. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
OK, I'll say it here because it's completely off topic. Today is the 53rd university of man landing on the moon. Remarkably, this is hardly covered anyway. Check my math. I think it's the 53rd, but I could be wrong. When I majored in math it was only letters (mostly Greek), not numbers. The integral of "e" to the x, is "e" to the x, which I think is the definition of the number "e". No one takes "e" to millions of decimal places like pi. Where is the equity? God could be hiding in the answer, then again, maybe not...

Stupid and easy trivia question: what were the first words spoken from the moon?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom