If you could add one former player to the current team... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you could add one former player to the current team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BLUEDOGHOUSE said:
I agree with you and love Okafor. Keep in mind though Ben Gordon had 36 pts against Alabama in the Regional Final (I believe the Regional Final) and then in the Regional Semi had 20 pts and 9 boards against Vanderbilt. Okafor had 2 pts against Alabama right? Both Gordon and Okafor were strong in the Final4 and Okafor dominated Geogia Tech. You could make the case though that Ben Gordon was the MVP of the tourney. Although both guys were incredible. So Gordon led them to the title also.

Okafor suffered a shoulder stinger in the first half and didn't play in the second half. He had five blocks in his limited minutes - two on one possession, including one of the most impressive blocks I've ever seen when he switched blocking hands when the shooter switched shooting hands. Gordon and Rashad were awesome on offense in the first half and the game was over at the break.

There's also the 18 second half points he had against Duke after only playing five minutes in the first.

Reaction Score
Drummond and Okafor should never be mentioned in the same sentence regarding their careers at UConn. Okafor was an All-American who led his team to a National Championship. Drummond was one and done underachiever, who had 2 points before fouling out in his only NCAA Tournament game. Oddly enough, Drummond is a way better pro.
I actually had written Okafor in college or Drummond now, but edited it. Agree with the sentiment.
But don't tell me that when Drummond and Uconn are mentioned together it's meaningless. Fact is, he is a Husky!

Reaction Score
Andre Drummond could help rebound and give a presence down low.
okafor's uconn career smokes drummond's one year at storrs in every possible category

edit: looks like this was already covered and I skipped the thread's second page....

Reaction Score
Without even allowing a "star" quality guy from the past, I'd take Jake in a second. We'd be a ton better.

Reaction Score
okafor's uconn career smokes drummond's one year at storrs in every possible category

edit: looks like this was already covered and I skipped the thread's second page....

reality is you shouldn't be thinking of where they are now but more like where they were as Huskies. No doubt Andre's become an amazing player and man but he's not even close to Okafor as a college player. Actually not even the likes of Rod Sellers, Travis Knight or Jake V.

But he will make the big $$$$$'s LOL

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Need someone who will show toughness and put up with no crap from opponent or team member, so my choices are
Jeff Adrien or Kevin Freeman
KEA or Bazz

While all talented but maybe not the best UConn ever in their respective positions but man these guys were tough assed dudes
I know John Selvie was but he was in some other stratosphere

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Okafor suffered a shoulder stinger in the first half and didn't play in the second half. He had five blocks in his limited minutes - two on one possession, including one of the most impressive blocks I've ever seen when he switched blocking hands when the shooter switched shooting hands. .

My favorite Emeka play of his entire career.

That team always had two future NBA bigs on the floor at the same time, and one of them was usually Emeka.

Gordon and Rashad were awesome on offense in the first half and the game was over at the break.

Seemed almost unfair that anyone should have to contend with Shad and Ben when both were hot at the same time. That first half was the most awesome shooting display I can remember from a pair of UConn guards. If I recall, they were 10 for 11 or 12 from 3 between them in the first half.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Without even allowing a "star" quality guy from the past, I'd take Jake in a second. We'd be a ton better.

The picks that are sort of being set are rather pathetic in comparison to the screens that Jake set. It should not be that hard to do well.

Maybe Jake is too hard of a target for our current players in the screen-setting department, but man, this and the blocking out on the defensive glass has been a struggle. The more I think about the fit of this team with one of our departed (from UConn) players, the more that Okafor would be the best choice. With or without Brimah, our front court has been pretty skinny and easily moved about. Emeka would totally change that overnight. But, there has only been one of him, the best center we have or perhaps will ever have. I could make an argument for Jake being as good or better than Hasheem, but can live well with Jake being the third on the list. Hasheem was a force on the defensive end, but still late to the game of basketball. (I think he could have been the best if he started earlier). I watched pretty much all of the games of the '99 season on uconnhuskygames.com and was surprised to recognize how big a force Jake was on that team. He was much better than I realized at the time. So was Kevin Freeman and the MVP, Ricky Moore. Jake provided an anchor and he physically controlled most of the other centers and he played against some good and big ones (e.g. Todd MacCulloch from WA).

So, I would be great with Emeka, or Jake, or Hasheem.

Reaction Score
There is a guy on the bench right now that would be just what the Huskies need.....Kevin Freeman

Reaction Score
I'll go Emeka - his post scoring and outlet passing to ignite fast breaks would get us a lot of easy buckets, something this team doesn't get enough of. And Miller working weak side off double teams would be a terror.
+1 Okafor

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Kemba. We would have an offense and an unquestionable leader.

Reaction Score

Ya sure and if you had a gun to your head and your life depended on adding ONE player (the OP's question omitting gun to your head) to this team it would be Jake (You can only pick 1 guy star or otherwise). Sounds really nicey nicey until the hammer comes down on you for that selection! Let's just take the best leader in the history of the program whose legacy continues at the next level due to the same attributes he had at UConn and put him behind Jake to improve this team the most! LOL Toooooooooooooooooo Funny!!!!!!!!!!!! In reality Mau for you why not take Tony Kimball or John Thomas??? Those guys were studs. I liked Jakester but....

All in fun...our JV Team is filling up fast similar to my "I Believe in Omar post"! lol (water balloon flying towards Mau's Noggin!) haha

This is 1 of the best Threads ever! lol WooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooo!

The funniest comment here was by Bursbro saying "Kemba doesn't help us so much on the defensive end..."! Great!!!!!!!!!! lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would the 2016 Drummond. He would probably have 30 rebound games against college kids.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Out of left field, but Sheffer. He would change the entire offensive philosophy in one swoop. We wouldn't be that much better (if at all) in the halfcourt, but our running ability goes up so much that it offsets.

Reaction Score
Ya sure and if you had a gun to your head and your life depended on adding ONE player (the OP's question omitting gun to your head) to this team it would be Jake (You can only pick 1 guy star or otherwise). Sounds really nicey nicey until the hammer comes down on you for that selection! Let's just take the best leader in the history of the program whose legacy continues at the next level due to the same attributes he had at UConn and put him behind Jake to improve this team the most! LOL Toooooooooooooooooo Funny!!!!!!!!!!!! In reality Mau for you why not take Tony Kimball or John Thomas??? Those guys were studs. I liked Jakester but....

All in fun...our JV Team is filling up fast similar to my "I Believe in Omar post"! lol (water balloon flying towards Mau's Noggin!) haha

This is 1 of the best Threads ever! lol WooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooo!

The funniest comment here was by Bursbro saying "Kemba doesn't help us so much on the defensive end..."! Great!!!!!!!!!! lol

Sorry BDH I get it but you seem to underrate Jake's effectiveness overall for the "team" - must better than people thought because of physical and intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom