If you are looking for the reason they lost | Page 4 | The Boneyard

If you are looking for the reason they lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
They don't?
Don't blame this loss on our O-Line. And the idea we don't have enough speed is laughable.
We lost because our deficiencies were not accounted for in our game plan. It's as simple as that.
You think running a couple trick plays that require more blocking time even would've helped today? That's what was missing?

Reaction Score
They don't?
Don't blame this loss on our O-Line. And the idea we don't have enough speed is laughable.
We lost because our deficiencies were not accounted for in our game plan. It's as simple as that.
I will..they flat out sucked today plain and simple! It's nice to see Samra move on Nos..that way I don't have to watch him standing there with his hands on his sides as the ball carrier or QB gets blasted because he missed another block..then make a "AWW SHUCKS" wave/shrug with them. His equals in this dept are Levy and Knappe.

Reaction Score
Yawn - I pointed out what you are posting lately is assinine. You are the one sarcastically attacking people for disagreeing with you. Ironic isn't it.

I don't think I'm always right and believe I have said that many times. You on the other hand, "how dare anyone agree with Pal and not me?" Please get off your soap box whaler you are as predictable as UConns offense no matter where you post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think I'm always right and believe I have said that many times. You on the other hand, "how dare anyone agree with Pal and not me?" Please get off your soap box whaler you are as predictable as UConns offense no matter where you post.

LOL I've admitted when I've been wrong probably more times than anyone here.

So another solid insightful comment - on a roll - don't let me get in your way.

Reaction Score
LOL I've admitted when I've been wrong probably more times than anyone here.

So another solid insightful comment - on a roll - don't let me get in your way.

whaler you get in your own way no help required. Just another guy who thinks he's knows it all and good for you. Keep it up, really impressive:oops:

God childish here and I fell into it with a dipsh*t, my bad. He's ignored.

Reaction Score
This thread has more drama and suspense than the game! I'm popping popcorn.

Reaction Score
Clearly we need to bring GDL back.

Didn't we actually have a good Oline coach at one point?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whaler you get in your own way no help required. Just another guy who thinks he's knows it all and good for you. Keep it up, really impressive:oops:

God childish here and I fell into it with a dip , my bad. He's ignored.

LOL. Attacks me and doesn't see the irony.

Then calls people childish, more names and brags about ignore - only the most childish thing one can do on a message board - and somehow
misses that irony.

Stick to posting pictures of girls and being a corny superfan - attempting to analyze what you are seeing is not within your grasp.

Reaction Score
FfldCntyFan said:
Shirreffs has good mobility, is tough as any QB we've had and appears to be a decent leader. That said, he'll never be compared to Aaron Rodgers. a Marshall DL Yes, I imagine there are some QB's who could be more effective with our offensive line in front of them but nobody on our roster fits that bill. I want to add that it was quite disappointing when Rutherford was blown up (by one of Marshall's DTs) early in the game but I am very confident that there are posters on this board who already believe that he and Peart can somehow step in next season as starting OT's and perform at a high level. It would be great if that could happen but realistically it will take some time for each of them and that it will take time is not an indictment on our coaching staff.

Rodgers is having a tough year also because his guys can't get open. Unless you want to blame McCarthy for not having an imaginative offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is why the offense is terrible (in this order):

1. Our OL is terrible
2. Our WR's have a hard time getting open
3. Our QB is not a great passer
4. Our staff doesn't put them in the best position to succeed

Big gap from 3 to 4.

The running backs are highly overrated too.

Reaction Score
The running backs are highly overrated too.

We've been spoiled over the years with RB's. They're not at the level we've seen here but you could run an effective offense with them. The OL is not Sun Belt worthy, never mind AAC.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The offensive scheme wasn't as vanilla as we all think. Lots of misdirection and reads off the ends. The issues are the offense could get a first down or 2 and then break down. The missed blocks are killer, but we have no game changers. The Marshall kid #19 was a game changer in the punt return (vs Nick Vitale) and receiving. Also, while Shireffs is a strong runner and leader- his inaccuracy shows in lack of YAC and even completions. We don't chunk yardage out often

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Sticking to topic, Whaler is correct.
This was an o line that contained many a matador.
We are what we are. Surprised we were in a position to win with 2 mins to go. Bobby P is our best player by far.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rodgers is having a tough year also because his guys can't get open. Unless you want to blame McCarthy for not having an imaginative offense.
Point well taken, It's all McCarthy's fault!

Reaction Score
Here is why the offense is terrible (in this order):

1. Our OL is terrible
2. Our WR's have a hard time getting open
3. Our QB is not a great passer
4. Our staff doesn't put them in the best position to succeed

Big gap from 3 to 4.

Big gap from 2 to 3. Shirreffs did not have a good passing game today. Frankly he threw the ball better before the USF game -- when he found out how many yards he could gain running - than he did after that

Reaction Score
Do we have any reason to believe our O-line will be better next year? With all the missed assignments, the inability to hold blocks and drive defenders, the lack of mobility is the big one for me. We are slow afoot. That is hard to correct.

Reaction Score
Do we have any reason to believe our O-line will be better next year? With all the missed assignments, the inability to hold blocks and drive defenders, the lack of mobility is the big one for me. We are slow afoot. That is hard to correct.

It is weird. I wonder sometimes if they could move a blocking sled. Do they even hit sleds regularly? They should be big enough and strong enough that if they hit somebody off the snap, they should at least be able to create a change in momentum. There are times, briefly when they look good, but most of the time when it comes to controlling the line of scrimmage, it looks like they're trying to get in the way, rather than move anybody.

When it's 3rd and short, that's when you know if you can control the line of scrimmage or not on offense. We cannot control the line long enough to get a QB/Back exchange and gain a yard up the gut regularly. We need to do it fast enough with a QB dive to have a chance.

When you can't do that on offense, you got to do other things to have a chance to win games. Like manage the game to minimize possessions. Absolutely NOT lose the turnover battle. Hit field goals. Etc. Etc. We managed to get to 6-7 this year on the heels of 2-10, 3-9, consecutive 5-7's.

IT's improvement, but goddammit they need to be able to line up across the LOS on offense and knock somebody back more than not - if we're going to get better next season.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn's o-line is a microcosm of the the team as a whole.

Diaco talked last year about 100 level performances and getting to 200 level and finally the 300 and 400 levels. Last year the o-line was 100 level at best. They were inexperienced, weak, and fat. This year, the line is a bit more experienced and certainly big enough, but they need a little more push. I expect the redshirts to put on more muscle, their technique to be more instinctual, and push for an actual spot on the 2-deep, as opposed to in name only. It's where experience + ability collide. 300/400 level performance for sure.

Remeber, 95% of this board would have been ecstatic with a 5-7 record. UConn was bowling a year early.

Reaction Score
The offensive line wasn't THAT bad. They lost today because they were completely out coached. The scheme and play calling were terrible. I'm still not convinced that Shirreffs is a Division 1A QB but that might be more on the scheme than him.

The line did a decent job of protecting. With no threat of the pass of course they couldn't run block

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
LOL. Attacks me and doesn't see the irony.

Then calls people childish, more names and brags about ignore - only the most childish thing one can do on a message board - and somehow
misses that irony.

Stick to posting pictures of girls and being a corny superfan - attempting to analyze what you are seeing is not within your grasp.

Bottom line - you are a DB - and I don't mean defensive back

You may think you know football and thats fine BUT nothing you write rates HoF IQ

Don't become childish - it's unbecoming - even for you this time Whale

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bottom line - you are a DB - and I don't mean defensive back

You may think you know football and thats fine BUT nothing you write rates HoF IQ

Don't become childish - it's unbecoming - even for you this time Whale

A guy who babbles on and on about 'Puke' and 'Kensucky' is now judging who is childish.

Anytime you want to get together and let me show you how wrong you are - just let me know.

Reaction Score
The offensive line wasn't THAT bad. They lost today because they were completely out coached. The scheme and play calling were terrible. I'm still not convinced that Shirreffs is a Division 1A QB but that might be more on the scheme than him.

The line did a decent job of protecting. With no threat of the pass of course they couldn't run block

Bullsh-t.

I've been watching this program for a long time. I've seen what this team in 2015 can do without a competent QB. It's unwatchable. And I'm not talking about from a football fan perspective.

We did stuff today in this game to create all kinds of misdirection, confusion in assignments on defense and it was working. We've seen all kinds of stuff on offense this year - that you're not going to believe this - took what Deleone used to try to do, and made it actually work. We had open receivers. We had running lanes. The only thing I'll get on this offensive coaching staff about - is two fold - the fact that our offensive line looks like they don't hit sleds regularly - and that includes TE's and WR's - and that we are inefficient in communication and play clock.

part of that play clock thing is the fact that it seems clear now - through 25 games, that Diaco is using a philosophy of minimizing possessions for both teams.

Guess what? It's working.

All these calls for offense and complaints about sh-tty offense. Imagine what our season would look like, with a wide open offense and 16 possessions per game (for both teams) rather than 8.

Verducci has impressed me, more than Diaco did as a first timer coach. Diaco is a ggoing to be a great head coach, but he's getting his education at UCONN, and my bullsh-t earlier in the week about florida and beachs and focus was right on. This team was unprepared for football today, because they weren't focused on fundamentals.

Verducci can build something, if he gets the players that can execute. Shireffs has potential, but he's got to have a running game that convert a 3rd and short. He's got more than enough what it takes to be a QB at the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom