If you are looking for the reason they lost | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you are looking for the reason they lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In some ways Tommy Myers was their best offensive lineman... note how they played after he broke his leg.

Don't let that evidence change your mind though. Just call different plays!

This is why, I wrote before elsewhere that our OL seems to be at the level of play of trying to get in the way - rather than move the defense. When Myers went out, our entire blocking at the LOS went to sh+t in the run game.

We need to be lining up and able to leverage a defense, and there are times - like when it's 3rd and short - where you got to line up and match up and move the D.

Hopefully - with some consistency in coaching and roster positioning in the next calendar year - we'll start to do that.

There was a time, and it's still the case, that when it was 3rd and short - early in a game - and we had the ball, that you could tell how a game would flow, on how we played that the 3rd down.

If it was run power, and get the first down - things would go well. If not - things wouldn't. Today - early on - Newsome got stuffed for 2 yard loss - by 1-1 on matchup G-DT.

Can't have that - if we're going to be a top 25 team.

The defense is not the worry - nor the special teams. Never is at UCONN - in any sport. Need that OL to develop.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is why, I wrote before elsewhere that our OL seems to be at the level of play of trying to get in the way - rather than move the defense. When Myers went out, our entire blocking at the LOS went to sh+t in the run game.

We need to be lining up and able to leverage a defense, and there are times - like when it's 3rd and short - where you got to line up and match up and move the D.

Hopefully - with some consistency in coaching and roster positioning in the next calendar year - we'll start to do that.

There was a time, and it's still the case, that when it was 3rd and short - early in a game - and we had the ball, that you could tell how a game would flow, on how we played that the 3rd down.

If it was run power, and get the first down - things would go well. If not - things wouldn't. Today - early on - Newsome got stuffed for 2 yard loss - by 1-1 on matchup G-DT.

Can't have that - if we're going to be a top 25 team.

The defense is not the worry - nor the special teams. Never is at UCONN - in any sport. Need that OL to develop.

Marshall was 11-17 on third down. That's what an effective offensive line gives you.

Reaction Score
They simply out physicalled us on BOTH lines. The dline had hands on hips, sucking wind by the 2nd drive of the 2nd half. Not used to seeing our D be unable to get stops on 3rd consistently except for the navy game. Ironically for most of the game we were better on 3rd and short than 3rd and long but eventually the DL wore down.

Shirrefs has been a HUGE upgrade but there were times he had time to pass and was looking to run after the 1st read, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has some PTSD effects going on. His situational awareness on the last drive were BAD. Can't take a sack and can't throw a two yard dunp off to a WR with no chance to go out of bounds.

The OLS major problem continues to be the interior. That those 3 guys started every game worries me. Someone should have pushed one,of those guys to the bench. The tackles have improved over the course of the year.

Reaction Score
They simply out physicalled us on BOTH lines. The dline had hands on hips, sucking wind by the 2nd drive of the 2nd half. Not used to seeing our D be unable to get stops on 3rd consistently except for the navy game. Ironically for most of the game we were better on 3rd and short than 3rd and long but eventually the DL wore down.

Shirrefs has been a HUGE upgrade but there were times he had time to pass and was looking to run after the 1st read, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he has some PTSD effects going on. His situational awareness on the last drive were BAD. Can't take a sack and can't throw a two yard dunp off to a WR with no chance to go out of bounds.

The OLS major problem continues to be the interior. That those 3 guys started every game worries me. Someone should have pushed one,of those guys to the bench. The tackles have improved over the course of the year.

Florida beaches and bikinis.

Reaction Score
The offensive line is somehow worse than it was against Villanova.

Until it's fixed there this is the ceiling.
There is an element of the game that calls for discipline. We don't seem to have it. When you have oline trying to referee games, you just don't get it. When you have defensive players celebrating a no-gain in the 4th quarter when you're losing, you just don't have it. That ALL comes back to coaching.

Reaction Score
Bob is going to be a very good coach one day. He just won't be here when he reaches that mark. The O-line is godawful, but the play calling on both sides of the ball reeks of cowardice.

It may not be a fair task rating a coaching staff with that O-line, but coaching the O-line is part of their job.

I said 5 wins would make this a good season, with next year being the real test. Though today sucked, they surpassed my expectations and even made a bowl game. Considering the previous 4 seasons, i can't be anything but excited for the future.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
I just want an offense where it doesn't feel like the game is over once the other team scores 2 touchdowns
I want an offense that doesn't go 3 and out and loses complete confidence on every 3rd down. very frustrating

Reaction Score
Not going to win at this level of college football with an offense that can't score TD's. Can you imagine a Big 12 fan unable to see or hear his/her team play in a bowl game finding out that their team gave up only a TD & 3 FG's? They would surely be ecstatic believing their team had won. UConn will go nowhere until they realize that modern college football is dictated by what you can do on the offensive side of the LOS.

Reaction Score
Defense played hard, but nowhere near the level they would need to in order to be able to carry this inept offense. That would require way fewer missed tackles - #'s 11, and 6 should maybe have been given a seat on the bench for gosh awful, grab at air, tackling. It would require giving up far fewer back breaking 3 down plays. AND, it would require the UConn DB's not giving opponent's WR's a 10-12 yard cushion at LOS and playing so soft on passing attempts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The defense played hard (so did the offense, by the way), they didn't play particularly well. Someone said that Marshall was 11/17 on 3rd down and I recall numerous missed tackles.

Reaction Score
There is an element of the game that calls for discipline. We don't seem to have it. When you have oline trying to referee games, you just don't get it. When you have defensive players celebrating a no-gain in the 4th quarter when you're losing, you just don't have it. That ALL comes back to coaching.
This is a good point. Bob likes to have his players show emotion and I enjoy that, but moments like the Andrew Adams kick the ball in the stands, the Foley Fatukasi going Mike Tyson on the Villanova Oline guy. We had some others as well. Those need to get cleaned up. That is all 100% on the coach. Its one thing to not have enough talented guys on the Oline, I get that but there are some clear coaching things that need cleaning up ASAP.

Reaction Score
Here is why the offense is terrible (in this order):

1. Our OL is terrible
2. Our WR's have a hard time getting open
3. Our QB is not a great passer
4. Our staff doesn't put them in the best position to succeed

Big gap from 3 to 4.
Say what you want but we have enough talent to score greater than ten points

Reaction Score
I'm just back from the game. Here are my observations. While the game was hard fought and Bryant Shirreffs was a warrior, I'm afraid this loss was squarely on our unimaginative offensive game plan. Although it's after Christmas, we played like it was still NO-vember. No screen, no quick slant, no flip reverse, no halfback pass, no flea flicker. Don't tell me the O-Line isn't good enough. If it's not (and it's not) you have to improvise. My wife's not a great cook. We eat out a lot.
As good as our D played, and they did (despite playing a soft zone which had visions of the Cincy game in my head, and missing some tackles that would have helped) they needed a better game from their offensive brothers.

But even with all of that we still had a chance, and thus it qualifies as a Nostical win. So we had a 9~4 season with lots of hope for next season. Bottom line, we have great kids, talented players, but an offensive scheme that simply can't adapt. I can't believe after watching all that tape on Marshall we came out with that pedestrian game plan.

The good news is that every player loved the Bowl experience (especially the swag) and wants to come back to one next year--in a big way. They are completely motivated for next year. Let's hope the coaches are as well.
Not true. We throw a screen pass to Newsome and one of Marshal's linebackers sliced between 3 of our offensive linemen and tackled Newsome for no gain. Poor execution by our O-line.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No offensive line can get a running game going against eight sometimes nine in the box.

Donald Brown says hello.

Reaction Score
In some ways Tommy Myers was their best offensive lineman... note how they played after he broke his leg. Don't let that evidence change your mind though. Just call different plays!

It's both. Tommy's absence was the most obvious reason we lost this game. Hashemi dropped a touchdown probable pass that Tommy would likely have caught. Later with lots of YAC to be had Hashemi was so intent on merely catching the ball he went to the ground. Unlikely Tommy would have. So yes, personnel counts, but don't tell me we were imaginative. Our first three offensive plays were runs. I say come out throwing. The team can sense when the OC is afraid and tight. And not targeting Noel Thomas is tantamount to coaching malpractice. Playmakers make plays. They also get favorable calls. We blew it.

C

Chief00

Quick frankly, I just don't see the upside in Shirrefs that others see. Reading Diaco's quotes after the game - there seems to be a huge disconnect between the rhetoric and his game plan. The game plan displayed zero confidence in the QB or any of the other offensive players.

Reaction Score
Thought you'd like to read some post game comments I received from some very knowledgable (wink wink) football folks. Like me--and Palatine--they know where the blame lies.

"That was one of the most pathetic coaching performances I have ever witnessed. What was Diaco's strategy, curl up in a ball? Zero passes to Noel Thomas, come on! 13th game of the season and they still barely get a play sent in from the sidelines before the play clock expires."

"Is there a reason Shirreffs only threw once to Thomas? Was he that well covered for the entire game. I thought it was a disappointing offensive effort, considering all the time they had to prepare. Your thoughts?"

Reaction Score
Thought you'd like to read some post game comments I received from some very knowledgable (wink wink) football folks. Like me--and Palatine--they know where the blame lies.

"That was one of the most pathetic coaching performances I have ever witnessed. What was Diaco's strategy, curl up in a ball? Zero passes to Noel Thomas, come on! 13th game of the season and they still barely get a play sent in from the sidelines before the play clock expires."

"Is there a reason Shirreffs only threw once to Thomas? Was he that well covered for the entire game. I thought it was a disappointing offensive effort, considering all the time they had to prepare. Your thoughts?"

C'mon Nos, I can make up unattributable quotes as well to make a point.

NT was targeted at least twice and BS admitted post game that he should have thrown it to him at least two more times so is playing calling the issue or QB decision-making/confidence the issue (?both?). Very few if any on this board know what the actual play call was/is and what the progression tree was/is. Tough to judge where the "blame" lies without knowing those pieces.

Disappointing game no doubt though...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

LOL it's like Bill Walsh and Mouse Davis text you.

Why doesn't Diaco hit the damn Z button!?!!?!?!!!

Reaction Score

Did you have phone conversations breaking down the game with Pasqualoni and DeLeone Nos?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Nos, you're a great person and a great fan but I think you are BS aside and said "no matter what you see, do not throw the ball to Thomas". Shirreffs had trouble with his progressions (among other things) all day. He also is the one who selects a target and throws the ball. Was he afraid of trying to squeeze a pass or two in when looking Thomas' way? It's possible. Was he spending too much time looking for Newsome? That is very possible, especially if he viewed it as a safer play. He did throw it a few times to Hashemi but each time there was nobody really trying to cover him. If SH caught the first pass, Marshall may have altered their approach and not ignored one of the options our QB had (which could well have led to less defensive attention given to Thomas).

Reaction Score
Quick frankly, I just don't see the upside in Shirrefs that others see. Reading Diaco's quotes after the game - there seems to be a huge disconnect between the rhetoric and his game plan. The game plan displayed zero confidence in the QB or any of the other offensive players.
I think he is mediocre to average as a passer. He doesn't have a strong arm and his throws are many times a tick off accuracy wise. The deep throw to Thomas was there for a TD he simply put too much air under the ball.

He does however present a threat with his legs, and the team believes in him. You'd have have been living in a cave the last few years to see he is better than most of the QBs weve had. Remember we only had Cochran for about 5 starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom