If we win tonight....... | The Boneyard

If we win tonight.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
.........what are we to think?
All the talk about rebuilding, team to young, team too short, yada yada. Will that just become a pile of c**p?
Or will it be a set-up for higher expectations resulting in disappointment?
I know I'll be confused.

Reaction Score
....what are we to think?
All the talk about rebuilding, team to young, team too short, yada yada. Will that just become a pile of c**p?
Or will it be a set-up for higher expectations resulting in disappointment?
I know I'll be confused.

All it would mean is Baylor is not as good as they/everyone think they are :)
I wonder if there is a point spread line for this game and what it is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a huge "IF". I'm expecting a loss. A loss of under 5 would be an excellent showing. A loss of about 8-10 is what I'm expecting. A loss of 15-20 would be a major disappointment for me.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
*If* we win tonight, it would extend our winning sreak to 77 games. The path to 90 in a row would still be incredibly difficult but certainly intriguing to follow.

*If* we win tonight, I won't be ready to talk NCs yet, but I will have a very changed outlook for this season. And I'll still look forward to 2017-18...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One game, one night. This team is still in its formative days. A win tonight is a good start. A good loss tonight is a good start. This team needs to be precise, relentless, tough minded and error free to compete at the highest level and in order to be in the FF.

Reaction Score
Just checked Sports Bet ---JavaMan has the most up to date line UConn giving 13
Seems high to me but what do I know

Reaction Score
Going into this game, I think it's just too close to call. Let's face it, we did not play all that well on Monday, and I expect us to pick it up somewhat tonight. That, plus the fact that it's a home game, is offset by my expectation that Baylor should be a marginally better than team than FSU.

So I'm finding it particularly difficult to predict what the final outcome of this one will be. I certainly wouldn't put us at 13-point favorites, though for the casual fan willing to place a bet that might seem like an appealing line.

Should be another barn burner!

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I had no idea that UCONN was such a prohibitive favorite. That seems like a high number and maybe it is based on historical data using home games played over the past X number of years.

Reaction Score
Baylor marginally better than FSU? Quite a bit better than FSU. Size, strength and athleticism. Davis, Jones, Mompremier, Prince, Wallace, Brown, Cave and Cox. FSU can't match Baylor's lineup.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Except for Lauren Cox, this is pretty much the same Baylor team that lost to Oregon State in last year's Elite 8 -- a team that UConn (with the Big 3, to be sure) then beat by 30.

Would this year's UConn team have lost to last year's Oregon State team? OSU had quite a bit of size also. Probably this UConn team would have lost to OSU if they had played in November, as UConn is now doing with Baylor.

Geno's teams have traditionally been able to neutralize one big and talented opponent with regularity, e.g., when the 2005 team beat LSU with Sylvia Fowles or when they narrowly beat Baylor with Griner a few years ago, when Stef (playing her second college game) was UConn's only sizeable player, and she fouled out in about 8 minutes.

Later in the season or with a more experienced team, I think UConn could solve the Kalani Brown problem. I'm not sure that this team can do it with its very limited experience. And the lack of forced turnovers and fast break points against Florida State (contrary to at least my expectations) is very concerning.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Except for Lauren Cox, this is pretty much the same Baylor team that lost to Oregon State in last year's Elite 8 -- a team that UConn (with the Big 3, to be sure) then beat by 30.

Would this year's UConn team have lost to last year's Oregon State team? OSU had quite a bit of size also. Probably this UConn team would have lost to OSU if they had played in November, as UConn is now doing with Baylor.

Geno's teams have traditionally been able to neutralize one big and talented opponent with regularity, e.g., when the 2005 team beat LSU with Sylvia Fowles or when they narrowly beat Baylor with Griner a few years ago, when Stef (playing her second college game) was UConn's only sizeable player, and she fouled out in about 8 minutes.

Later in the season or with a more experienced team, I think UConn could solve the Kalani Brown problem. I'm not sure that this team can do it with its very limited experience. And the lack of forced turnovers and fast break points against Florida State (contrary to at least my expectations) is very concerning.

And Baylor beat FSU in the NCAAs last year by 20 points, and that margin of victory could have been higher had Mulkey not pulled the starters.

So take that for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
All it would mean is Baylor is not as good as they/everyone think they are :)
I wonder if there is a point spread line for this game and what it is.
Yes Vegas line has Uconn favored by 13.5

Reaction Score
We will be fine. Also remember our top 3 players didnt play so great. Although Gabby played well for the time she was on the floor.iii (we might be seeing her transform to a superstar)
I expect a good close game with a Uconn win

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
That's a huge "IF". I'm expecting a loss. A loss of under 5 would be an excellent showing. A loss of about 8-10 is what I'm expecting. A loss of 15-20 would be a major disappointment for me.
That's exactly how I feel. I think it is a huge game, to see if Uconn can contend with a top team.
I know it's early, but I am expecting the team to show more "grit" tonight.

Reaction Score
No question this is an intriguing match up and we will learn a lot about both teams, but it is only the second game of the season. I'm not willing to say this is a bell weather game for either team at this point. Still a lot of basketball to play after tonight. One bad or one good game does not a season make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom