If we lost in final 4 by 50 | The Boneyard

If we lost in final 4 by 50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I dont know, thats pretty rough what just happened to Oklahoma. Thats a terrible way to end your season with a performance like that in the Final Four. I dont know about anybody else, but that would leave a sour taste in my mouth for the next 50 years if that happened to UConn. Its kind of like the Giants getting blown out vs the Ravens in Super Bowl 35. As a Giant fan, I kind of pretend that season didnt exist. It means nothing to me that they made it to the Super Bowl because they embarrassed themselves in the actual game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't even know how their fans should feel - it's a great season, but to get a historic beating like they did in the second half has to wipe most of that out.

The shock of seeing Nova all but sucking the marrow of their bones is going to sting for a very long time.

Reaction Score
I would much rather lose by 50 in the final four than lose in the round of 32, and honestly, ten years from now, I'm not sure anybody remembers how much they lost by. Nobody remembers '03 Marquette getting housed by Kansas in the final four, they just remember D-Wade willing them there. If Buddy turns into a star at the next level, it'll be the same.

That said, damn did they get embarrassed today. I can't begin to imagine how tough it would be to stomach a beat down like that on a stage that big.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Agreed; I'd much rather get crucified in the final four than lose the first weekend. I know it's fun to make fun of Cuse but I'd much rather had their post season run than ours this year

Reaction Score
I would much rather lose by 50 in the final four than lose in the round of 32, and honestly, ten years from now, I'm not sure anybody remembers how much they lost by. Nobody remembers '03 Marquette getting housed by Kansas in the final four, they just remember D-Wade willing them there. If Buddy turns into a star at the next level, it'll be the same.

That said, damn did they get embarrassed today. I can't begin to imagine how tough it would be to stomach a beat down like that on a stage that big.
I think people will remember it crushed the record for largest defeat, Marquette got soundly beaten but nothing like that. Still it was their 5 th final four so that's positive but I have imagine that banner will bring more negative memories than positive ones

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Agreed; I'd much rather get crucified in the final four than lose the first weekend. I know it's fun to make fun of Cuse but I'd much rather had their post season run than ours this year
I disagree. If we were a two seed and made the Final Four, that means I'd have made the trip again, and losing by 50 on Saturday and staying around Houston for three more days after losing like that would be miserable.

And rest assured, as a fan the team that got drubbed in that fashion, you'd remember that for the rest of your life. I would be scarred by it.

Reaction Score
I was sitting at a bar when Nova went up 17 with about 11 minutes to go. My wife thought it was over and I explained about the magic of Buddy Hield, offensive complacency with a big lead, when and when not to keep your foot on the gas etc. - only to watch Nova extend the lead even further. I really thought OU would make some sort of run even if they only got within 8 or so. Nova just kept pouring it on and that is an impressive trait. We know full well, it is hard to keep the pressure on when you are winning handily and good teams always creep back into the game.

That was uncomfortable. It was a merciless butt kicking for the ages.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I disagree. If we were a two seed and made the Final Four, that means I'd have made the trip again, and losing by 50 on Saturday and staying around Houston for three more days after losing like that would be miserable.

And rest assured, as a fan the team that got drubbed in that fashion, you'd remember that for the rest of your life. I would be scarred by it.

You wouldn't stay in Houston. You'd do what we did in Detroit, sell your tix and get the heck outta town. The pain of enduring 70,000 MSU fans and losing that game, in my opinion, was just as bad as losing by 50. I'm grateful for that Final Four and would have been grateful to have been there again even if we got whupped.

Reaction Score
OU wasn't some mid-major double-digit seed that reached the FF and was overmatched by their superior opponent and the magnitude of the stage, but they acted just like it last night. A 2 seed beating another 2 seed by 40+? That's tough to live down.

Hey B12, looking to expand and improve your conference on the hoops side? *raises hand*

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You wouldn't stay in Houston. You'd do what we did in Detroit, sell your tix and get the heck outta town. The pain of enduring 70,000 MSU fans and losing that game, in my opinion, was just as bad as losing by 50. I'm grateful for that Final Four and would have been grateful to have been there again even if we got whupped.
I hear you. Circumstances were such that I had to miss the Detroit trip, but that was going to be a drive for us rather than a flight, so yeah we would have hightailed it there too. Not so sure it would be that easy to get out of Houston early, although I gather Detroit was a flight for you, so you had to make that happen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The shock of seeing Nova all but sucking the marrow of their bones is going to sting for a very long time.
Is it a bad thing that I can't stop thinking about marrow now? Seriously, since reading this post I've been trying to think about where I might be able to find a restaurant that serves marrow for lunch today. I've only had it at restaurants in NYC and MA before, so now I'm looking for local places that serve it.

Reaction Score
Losing by 40 in any game would me physically sick if it happened to UConn. But give Nova credit, they did not miss a shot.

At a certain point, I just emotionally detach myself from the blowout losses. Iowa State wasn't nearly as bad, but it's the closest thing we've had to that sort of whooping in the postseason in games that matter (i.e. games in my lifetime, so 1964 doesn't count). We also got rolled by Ohio State in 1992 after a really good start acted as a tease, but they were a 1 and we were a 9.

I don't think about those losses nearly as much as the ones where we were so close - Duke in 1990, Florida in 1994, ball stuck in the rim at Texas in 2003, etc. Even Michigan State in 2009 we cut it to three with a minute to go but got disorganized with our press and gave them an easy dunk. Still bugs me sometimes that we got too chaotic at that moment when it was a one possession game.

But in fairness, our blowout losses have been in early rounds so it didn't feel like we were getting embarrassed in front of a national audience.

Reaction Score
I'd trade the 2006 George Mason loss for a 100 point loss in the Final Four.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The BY would be calling for heads to roll!
Clyde would be re-hired and his lady friends would be given jobs teaching relaxation techniques to the players.
KO would be on probation and the women's team would also be the practice squad for the men.

Reaction Score
I was sitting at a bar when Nova went up 17 with about 11 minutes to go. My wife thought it was over and I explained about the magic of Buddy Hield, offensive complacency with a big lead, when and when not to keep your foot on the gas etc. - only to watch Nova extend the lead even further. I really thought OU would make some sort of run even if they only got within 8 or so. Nova just kept pouring it on and that is an impressive trait. We know full well, it is hard to keep the pressure on when you are winning handily and good teams always creep back into the game.

That was uncomfortable. It was a merciless butt kicking for the ages.

You have just described the UConn women. What Jay Wright did was get his kids to play with unrelenting excellence. That is impressive and shows it can be done in the men's game. It takes special players who are more than just talented. And it takes a coach that gets it and is able to get his players into that mental state. I would guess that Jay and Geno have spoken, Geno being a philly guy and all. In fact, I believe they have been guest speakers at the same leadership conference at least once in the past.

Reaction Score
Difference between Storrs and Norman.

At UConn a drubbing in the FF would be talked about forever, at OU it will be just slightly less important than who is playing QB with the second string offense at the spring game on April 9.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oklahoma travels well. I did not hear any cheering for the Sooners. Something needs to be done so these guys never play in a major bowl, ah I mean final four again.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oklahoma travels well. I did not hear any cheering for the Sooners. Something needs to be done so these guys never play in a major bowl, ah I mean final four again.

OU fans have their priorities.

The second scrimmage of spring FB took place Saturday morning. It was just impossible to get all the way to Houston by game time Saturday night for a BB game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OU travels very well, as does Ok. State. They have no problem with a ten or fifteen hour drive to Texas for a Final Four.

I'll never forget the massive influx of black and orange on Saturday morning in San Antonio in 2004. The ticket market got as tight as hell when they arrived; and then the bottom dropped out when they lost. I have a fully intact ticket to that final because the highest offer I had for that extra was $5, and for that price the souvenir was worth more to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom