If we are to be a 5 seed, things I'd like to avoid. | The Boneyard

If we are to be a 5 seed, things I'd like to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
  1. Stephen F. Austin in the first round - 2nd in the country in 3 pt field goal attempts. They are a volume shooting team who would take away some of our inside defensive presence advantage and potentially shoot over the top of our guards. Anytime you are playing a Cinderella who plays an unconventional style you have some risk. I'd really like to NOT see this team
  2. The winner of a play in game. Since the play in game was established in 2011 there have been 6 teams that have played their way into games other than a 16 vs. a 1. These teams have been placed in 12 vs. 5, 11 vs. 6, and 13 vs. 4 games. Three of those teams have won their "2nd round" matchup. VCU advanced to the final four in 2011, USF beat Clemson in 2012 and Lasalle went to the sweet 16 last year. I don't like the idea of playing a team after they have their legs under neath them.
  3. MSU in the round of 32. I don't like the way we matchup with them and they are starting to play well. They are lurking around the 4 seed right now and I'd really like to not see them.

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
Agree on Austin for sure……..

MSU is very tough, getting healthy again and very dangerous. Wouldn't want to see them in 32 but if you really look at what the top 16 teams will be, there's not many I would "like" to see but there also aren't many 4's that we can't beat on a given night. Our guards are a tough matchup for teams that only see them on video and I think Deandre is playing pretty well now and believe it or not at 6'9 he's nightmare when he's knocking down jumpers and making jump hooks…….it's up to Bazz and Boat to show and our guys can beat any of the 4's they will put on the board!

Reaction Score
I just don't want to see MSU, UF or Ville. I guess if we play Ville its a good thing, because we must have advanced quite far.

I pray that Cuse gets the high 4 and we get a 5 in their region. Is that too much to ask for?

Reaction Score
Providence. And with us as a likely 5 and them a 12 don't be surprised if we play them first round. Their super bowl will be at another level now that there's actually something real on the line.

Reaction Score
Providence. And with us as a likely 5 and them a 12 don't be surprised if we play them first round. Their super bowl will be at another level now that there's actually something real on the line.

I totally understand where this is coming from, but PC doesn't match up very well with us and I would have very high confidence if we play them.

Reaction Score
I totally understand where this is coming from, but PC doesn't match up very well with us and I would have very high confidence if we play them.

They play zone and they can rebound like crazy. I definitely agree we beat them but there are other teams I'd rather play.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Providence as a 12 seed

UCLA or MSU as a 4 seed

and Louisville wherever and whenever

Reaction Score
They play zone and they can rebound like crazy. I definitely agree we beat them but there are other teams I'd rather play.

After seeing Daniels shoot from the foul line yesterday, I hope he is Ollie's zone buster from here on in.

Hard to stop a guy with Daniels' height from right there.

Reaction Score
Guys c'mon PC is playing good for a 12 seed no doubt but they played 4 guys 40 minutes last night……..there are worst teams to play. I do agree with the REAL super bowl mentality but our guys are better if they play!

Reaction Score
Providence as a 12 seed

UCLA or MSU as a 4 seed

and Louisville wherever and whenever
Wouldn't mind a UCLA matchup. Would be a good precursor to the potential Hamilton vs Hamilton home and home that was rumored.

Reaction Score
After seeing Daniels shoot from the foul line yesterday, I hope he is Ollie's zone buster from here on in.

Hard to stop a guy with Daniels' height from right there.

Definitely Daniels was great last night. I like our chances against zones if he continues to play like that.

Reaction Score
PC rarely matched up with the Huskies talent wise and yet managed to win their share in recent years. With the spacing of the games in the tournament, the 40 minutes a game really isn't an issue. These kids are used to it

Reaction Score
Wouldn't mind a UCLA matchup. Would be a good precursor to the potential Hamilton vs Hamilton home and home that was rumored.

...and when we beat them maybe Isaac will consider joining his bro in Storrs

Reaction Score
UConn-MSU predicted to meet in round of 32 in Palm's latest. Maybe if MSU beats Mich today they move to 3?

I agree, would not want to see them or Iowa St early and now UCLA.

Agree on Austin for sure……..

MSU is very tough, getting healthy again and very dangerous. Wouldn't want to see them in 32 but if you really look at what the top 16 teams will be, there's not many I would "like" to see but there also aren't many 4's that we can't beat on a given night. Our guards are a tough matchup for teams that only see them on video and I think Deandre is playing pretty well now and believe it or not at 6'9 he's nightmare when he's knocking down jumpers and making jump hooks…….it's up to Bazz and Boat to show and our guys can beat any of the 4's they will put on the board!

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I think Providence might have moved up off the 12 line with a win last night. Could see them as a 10, potentially.
Either way, I don't want to see them just because I like this message board, and I don't want to have to avoid it all week.

Reaction Score
Louisville, Florida, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa State, any team that hit's a lot of 3's.

Reaction Score
I agree completely on #2 (play-in winner) and #3 (MSU).

I actually think, moreso than in previous years, we're less susceptible to mid-major styles of play. In fact, our roster emulates that of a mid-major -- shooters at 4 positions on the floor, not a lot of size. I'm more concerned about an athletic, major-conference team like Arkansas (though Arkansas is probably not in).

I also want to avoid Providence: not because they're a bad matchup, but because in the event that we lose to them, this board will be insufferable for 48 hours. There is minimal upside and unlimited downside to playing them.

As far as the second round, I don't fear a lot of the projected 4 seeds, Michigan State excepted. MSU will be a Final Four pick, unless they're in the same region as another like FF team (Florida, Louisville).

If we get as far as the Sweet 16, I just want to avoid Florida's region and Arizona's region. I would feel a lot more comfortable with Wichita State/Nova/Dook.

Reaction Score
Location is a big deal, too. For example, would not want to play Florida in Round 2 in Orlando...

Reaction Score
Location is a big deal, too. For example, would not want to play Florida in Round 2 in Orlando...

Thankfully we are not going to be an 8-9 seed I don't think that will happen.

Playing UCLA in San Diego and Texas in San Antonio not ideal either.

Saw one projection had us playing the Tennessee-BYU play in winner. Tennessee was leading Florida for much of the game and have been on a roll recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom