If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Luck wants $1 million to $2 million a year -- go for it! If he gets UConn into B12 or Big10 or even ACC -- will not the extra money from being in that conference make his salary not matter? He doesn't have to stay forever. Just get UConn into P5, and then he can head back to NCAA or whatever he wants. Just think about his presence in a room filled with ADs from top football schools. They will take him a lot more seriously than some bureaucrat who never played football. UConn deserves the best and has to get into P5 ASAP.

Are we still talking about Uconn? State Univ-- Uconn? And didn't know our pockets were that deep. Since it is, how about going to UT (Austin), Ala., perhaps D'Oh? A reverse raid- we are of course Uconn, we can pay!

Reaction Score
TDUConn is totally correct. So many of the names I am seeing are people who should be ADs for colleges like Eastern Connecticut, not a school like UConn that somehow has to make it into the B12 or better yet B10, or maybe even the ACC. That is a tough challenge to begin with and having a mediocre AD like Jeff Hathaway again is only going to make it more difficult. How on earth would an assistant AD or an AD at a mid-major have pull with the leadership of the B10? We need to be the most aggressive college in the nation to ensure we are in a P5 conference this year -- not 15 years from now. President Herbst needs to get someone who can take over the realignment tasks and can succeed. Her time is far better spent getting the endowment up to $1B by 2021 (by having the best fundraisers in the nation working for UConn), recruiting Nobel prize winners to the faculty (several of them) (by 2021), and getting UConn into the AAU (this year). She also needs to make sure that UConn is getting a good number of National Merit Scholars in its freshman class each year. Maybe we can even see a UConn graduate receive a Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford -- which, like being in the P5, has yet to happen.

Thanks for your sanity. One thing, skip/drop the Rhodes thing I know a lot about it, and it is old fashion BS. Similar to AAU membership. The latter is a lot more like the House of Lords then Parliment-- but, it is a means for keeping out the many. No one thinks ND isn't a first class U, and the B10 would take them in a second. So much for membership there. Of course, if you can't beat them then join them- if you are allowed!

Reaction Score
Thanks for your sanity. One thing, skip/drop the Rhodes thing I know a lot about it, and it is old fashion BS. Similar to AAU membership. The latter is a lot more like the House of Lords then Parliment-- but, it is a means for keeping out the many. No one thinks ND isn't a first class U, and the B10 would take them in a second. So much for membership there. Of course, if you can't beat them then join them- if you are allowed!
Normally, I would agree. Consider this estimate from online: UConn Average Effective Annual Salary for a professor is $187,536. That seems a rather large number. But the better question is what UConn is getting for it. If Oliver Luck came in for three to five years at $1 million a year and UConn gets into a P5 conference, its athletic revenue would skyrocket into the millions of dollars compared to the AAC. Similarly, if the university can attract world renowned scholars such as Nobel prize winners -- private donations and government funds tend to follow them around.

Reaction Score
TDUConn is totally correct. So many of the names I am seeing are people who should be ADs for colleges like Eastern Connecticut, not a school like UConn that somehow has to make it into the B12 or better yet B10, or maybe even the ACC. That is a tough challenge to begin with and having a mediocre AD like Jeff Hathaway again is only going to make it more difficult. How on earth would an assistant AD or an AD at a mid-major have pull with the leadership of the B10? We need to be the most aggressive college in the nation to ensure we are in a P5 conference this year -- not 15 years from now. President Herbst needs to get someone who can take over the realignment tasks and can succeed. Her time is far better spent getting the endowment up to $1B by 2021 (by having the best fundraisers in the nation working for UConn), recruiting Nobel prize winners to the faculty (several of them) (by 2021), and getting UConn into the AAU (this year). She also needs to make sure that UConn is getting a good number of National Merit Scholars in its freshman class each year. Maybe we can even see a UConn graduate receive a Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford -- which, like being in the P5, has yet to happen.

Not to mention the joy of working with the Connecticut state legislators...

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Think Mr Burton will be asked for his 2 cents on this?

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
If Luck wants $1 million to $2 million a year -- go for it! If he gets UConn into B12 or Big10 or even ACC -- will not the extra money from being in that conference make his salary not matter? He doesn't have to stay forever. Just get UConn into P5, and then he can head back to NCAA or whatever he wants. Just think about his presence in a room filled with ADs from top football schools. They will take him a lot more seriously than some bureaucrat who never played football. UConn deserves the best and has to get into P5 ASAP.
For the record Frazier played football at Alabama and won a sec title there. Also coached football before working in the AD office at Wisconsin, eventually overseeing football, B-ball and hockey before taking over the day to day operations of the athletic department. he has some great big time program experience.

Reaction Score
For the record Frazier played football at Alabama and won a sec title there. Also coached football before working in the AD office at Wisconsin, eventually overseeing football, B-ball and hockey before taking over the day to day operations of the athletic department. he has some great big time program experience.
And then there is this when Rutgers was looking for someone to replace Pernetti:

Still, multiple sources confirmed to The Record that Delany strongly supported Hermann’s fellow finalist Sean Frazier for the job, believing in Frazier’s work at current Big Ten member Wisconsin and his New York area ties as the perfect match to lead Rutgers’ transition into the biggest level of the big-time college sports world. Rutgers didn’t listen to him then, and they don’t want to listen to anyone now.

Here is link to article:
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/s...deserve-to-inherit-this-rutgers-mess-1.617484

Reaction Score
How about, find out which of the B1G presidents are on the fence with regards to UConn joining. Then, figuring out what AD candidate has connections to these schools, presidents or AD's. Because I figure there are presidents who are in favor and some who are not. Let's get the ones who are second guessing UConn and get them on board.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How about, find out which of the B1G presidents are on the fence with regards to UConn joining. Then, figuring out what AD candidate has connections to these schools, presidents or AD's. Because I figure there are presidents who are in favor and some who are not. Let's get the ones who are second guessing UConn and get them on board.
I would say yes, except substitute B12 ADs for B1G ADs. B12 may move first, although it sounds like Boren and Gee are the outliers and maybe there's too muchr esistance. Either way, B1G may wait until mid 2020's.

Actually if there is a candidate with ties to both B1G schools and Texas / B12 schools.... there's your man.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Question--what's Gavitt's background? I've heard a little bit of buzz about the possibility of him coming to UConn as AD, and my initial reaction was sort of pessimistic. He doesn't really have football experience, does he?

Reaction Score
Sean Frazier might be the best candidate for AD at a Big10 school or even an SEC school. But here is the more basic question: Does he have the skillset to get UConn into a P5 conference? Those are not necessarily the same skillsets. The ACC told UConn to get lost a few years ago. Louisville -- which the older ACC schools considered little better than a community college academically -- took UConn's place, thanks in large part to its AD Tom Jurich. When the ACC told WV to get lost they made it into the B12. That is why Oliver Luck -- former WV AD now at the NCAA -- or even Kevin Weiberg -- former B12 commissioner now teaching sports management at Wichita State -- need to be considered for the UConn AD post. If Frazier so wants to come to UConn he could take the associate AD job until UConn lands in a conference it can tolerate for five to 10 years -- or forever (if its the B10.) Then Frazier could stay here for 25 years. UConn, not just in athletics, but in its academic recruitment of faculty and even fundraising has not been particularly aggressive or nationally prominent. Susan Herbst appears to be trying to change this. Hopefully, she will not let the AD's spot go to the seemingly right person at the wrong time. Anyone can walk into a room filled with ADs and pledge that UConn will be an asset to a conference. Not everyone knows how to convince these skeptics and be believed. Meanwhile, if the B12 lets UConn in before a new AD is hired in Storrs, it is a moot point. Frazier would likely be a top contender.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Question--what's Gavitt's background? I've heard a little bit of buzz about the possibility of him coming to UConn as AD, and my initial reaction was sort of pessimistic. He doesn't really have football experience, does he?
Assuming he's a member of the Providence College mafia, no thanks.

Reaction Score
Sean Frazier might be the best candidate for AD at a Big10 school or even an SEC school. But here is the more basic question: Does he have the skillset to get UConn into a P5 conference? Those are not necessarily the same skillsets. The ACC told UConn to get lost a few years ago. Louisville -- which the older ACC schools considered little better than a community college academically -- took UConn's place, thanks in large part to its AD Tom Jurich. When the ACC told WV to get lost they made it into the B12. That is why Oliver Luck -- former WV AD now at the NCAA -- or even Kevin Weiberg -- former B12 commissioner now teaching sports management at Wichita State -- need to be considered for the UConn AD post. If Frazier so wants to come to UConn he could take the associate AD job until UConn lands in a conference it can tolerate for five to 10 years -- or forever (if its the B10.) Then Frazier could stay here for 25 years. UConn, not just in athletics, but in its academic recruitment of faculty and even fundraising has not been particularly aggressive or nationally prominent. Susan Herbst appears to be trying to change this. Hopefully, she will not let the AD's spot go to the seemingly right person at the wrong time. Anyone can walk into a room filled with ADs and pledge that UConn will be an asset to a conference. Not everyone knows how to convince these skeptics and be believed. Meanwhile, if the B12 lets UConn in before a new AD is hired in Storrs, it is a moot point. Frazier would likely be a top contender.
Another guy who believes the Jurich PR machine. The only thing Jurich did at Louisville is build up his athletic Dept..unlike his peer and successor at Colorado St Jeff Hathaway!
If you are going to discount Frazier...then throw out every other name mentioned and just give the job to Tranghese...let him get us into a P-5 conference and be done with it. Why would a guy like Frazier take a demotion and come here as Asst AD when he can wait another 3-4 years and walk right into Madison when Alvarez retires. It says something about the Character and reputation of Sean Frazier when Jim Delany personally recommended him to Rutgers as Pernetti's replacement.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Another guy who believes the Jurich PR machine. The only thing Jurich did at Louisville is build up his athletic Dept..unlike his peer and successor at Colorado St Jeff Hathaway!
Couldn't agree more. I think it's well documented that Clemson and FSU put a stake in the ground and said they want a football school. Jurich had a longer FBS history on his side and a better performing team at that time. That and that only is why Louisville got in ahead of us, because they were perceived to be a better FB school.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. I think it's well documented that Clemson and FSU put a stake in the ground and said they want a football school. Jurich had a longer FBS history on his side and a better performing team at that time. That and that only is why Louisville got in ahead of us, because they were perceived to be a better FB school.
That's right -- and how did FSU and Clemson conclude that Louisville was not only good in football -- but had a commitment to expand resources to the sports program? It was Jurich. They bought his pitch. If the ACC was just looking for another decent football program they could have gone with Navy for football-only. Being able to convince a group of ADs of something doubtful is exactly the skill UConn needs in its next AD. Don't be angry with Louisville or Jurich -- see how they made it into the P5 and do likewise.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's right -- and how did FSU and Clemson conclude that Louisville was not only good in football -- but had a commitment to expand resources to the sports program? It was Jurich. They bought his pitch. If the ACC was just looking for another decent football program they could have gone with Navy for football-only. Being able to convince a group of ADs of something doubtful is exactly the skill UConn needs in its next AD. Don't be angry with Louisville or Jurich -- see how they made it into the P5 and do likewise.

This narrative is overblown. More than anything, FSU and Clemson wanted a southern school with a southern football culture. There wasn't much we could do about it.

I'm not going to pretend to know who the right guy is, I'd be better at picking out who it isn't. I trust Susan to get it right. She knows the stakes and has the connections to other schools to find out who among the candidates would move the needle for us. It will take a little faith is all.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, I just think Jurich is taking credit for timing. He may have had something to do with elevating the football program to where it was, but after that it was all on FSU and Clemson and their bargaining positions as top dogs in ACC FB. I'm not angry about it, I know it was out of our control. We could have sent Pitino's welcoming committee to them and it wouldn't have helped. The only thing that could have helped us was either not hiring Hathaway or not hiring FHCPP. The combo of the two caused football to suffer and with it went our image as a football school.
I don't think they wanted another decent football school. They wanted someone good that would be near the top. Louisville was in 1st place in the Big East in 2011 and 2012. Their 2012 record was 11-2 and they were ranked 13th in the final poll. The were voted into the ACC on 11/29/2012. Contrast that with UConn who was coming off back to back 5-7 records. I believe if the roles/records were reversed we would have been taken. But Louisville was trending up and we were below .500 in the old Big East.

Reaction Score
AD's don't make a pitch to join a conference..President's do. AD's make the nuts and bolts of the presentation look good by raising money to build good facilities, market the athletic department to the fan base and hire coaches that win championships. I'm not angry wth either of them...just frustrated by ignorant fans like yourself who think that AD's run the CR process....that ended when the NCAA voted to give full control to college presidents.

Reaction Score
AD's don't make a pitch to join a conference..President's do. AD's make the nuts and bolts of the presentation look good by raising money to build good facilities, market the athletic department to the fan base and hire coaches that win championships. I'm not angry wth either of them...just frustrated by ignorant fans like yourself who think that AD's run the CR process....that ended when the NCAA voted to give full control to college presidents.

Whatever UConn does do, do not let anyone in Hartford develop our pitch. While it likely did not matter in the end, they put a picture of a Pratt & Whitney jet engine, which is owned by UTC and competes with GE's own jet engine business, ont he front cover of the presentation made to GE to try and keep them in CT.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/State-uses-photo-of-competitor-s-jet-engine-in-6484254.php

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, I just think Jurich is taking credit for timing. He may have had something to do with elevating the football program to where it was, but after that it was all on FSU and Clemson and their bargaining positions as top dogs in ACC FB. I'm not angry about it, I know it was out of our control. We could have sent Pitino's welcoming committee to them and it wouldn't have helped. The only thing that could have helped us was either not hiring Hathaway or not hiring FHCPP. The combo of the two caused football to suffer and with it went our image as a football school.
I don't think they wanted another decent football school. They wanted someone good that would be near the top. Louisville was in 1st place in the Big East in 2011 and 2012. Their 2012 record was 11-2 and they were ranked 13th in the final poll. The were voted into the ACC on 11/29/2012. Contrast that with UConn who was coming off back to back 5-7 records. I believe if the roles/records were reversed we would have been taken. But Louisville was trending up and we were below .500 in the old Big East.
Exactly, rewind a few years earlier when Jurich hired Kragthorpe. He was their PP and took UL into the gutter for 3-4 years. To his credit he bounced back with a good hire in Strong and a nice transfer QB in Bridgewater, UL football got hot at the right time. During the same time frame, UConn was beating UL in football, Edsall took a dream job and Hathaway hired Pasqualoni. We were having our "Kragthorpe Years" when a chair opened up at the table. Timing sucked.

Reaction Score

Hi: Thanks for the input and indeed I may be an ignorant fan! But I would caution about believing that the AD has a small role in realignment -- at least not in the P5. Susan Herbst may make some kind of statement in public -- but she and her presidential colleagues use ADs in the highly confidential pre-vote phase. Then the lawyers take over.

Here is part of an article that appeared in Forbes last year about the changing role of ADs. What is key from the article is that every school is in a unique position. That is why universities need to be very careful about who they hire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe...-day-college-athletics-director/#6a3a61b82002

Written by Daniel Parker, Vice President & Managing Director, Sports at Parker Executive Search and Jason Belzer, Founder of GAME, Inc. and a Professor of Organizational Behavior and Sports Law at Rutgers University.

• Advising their university administration and constituents on how to best navigate through conference realignment. That means being proactive instead of reactive when it comes to best positioning their departments to make a move into a different conference, as well as ascertaining the changing landscape of their current conference and peer institutions that can potentially hurt their own future opportunities. Conference realignment often has a clear set of winners and losers, and athletic directors that are ill prepared to lead their universities through such tumultuous processes can often also be its first casualty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom