If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

If Warde Goes, Where Should we Look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi: Thanks for the input and indeed I may be an ignorant fan! But I would caution about believing that the AD has a small role in realignment -- at least not in the P5. Susan Herbst may make some kind of statement in public -- but she and her presidential colleagues use ADs in the highly confidential pre-vote phase. Then the lawyers take over.

Here is part of an article that appeared in Forbes last year about the changing role of ADs. What is key from the article is that every school is in a unique position. That is why universities need to be very careful about who they hire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe...-day-college-athletics-director/#6a3a61b82002

Written by Daniel Parker, Vice President & Managing Director, Sports at Parker Executive Search and Jason Belzer, Founder of GAME, Inc. and a Professor of Organizational Behavior and Sports Law at Rutgers University.

• Advising their university administration and constituents on how to best navigate through conference realignment. That means being proactive instead of reactive when it comes to best positioning their departments to make a move into a different conference, as well as ascertaining the changing landscape of their current conference and peer institutions that can potentially hurt their own future opportunities. Conference realignment often has a clear set of winners and losers, and athletic directors that are ill prepared to lead their universities through such tumultuous processes can often also be its first casualty.
Well then maybe you should email her that link and explain to her the importance of this hire. I see you're new here...you should take a look around the CR threads before lecturing us on what is and isn't important in CR and what works. As for that link you posted...that describes a competent FBS level AD...like the one who just left UConn for UM. It also describes the names of people that have been brought up in numerous posts on here. I'm still trying to figure out how you post what you have posted about the importance of the next AD yet you mention a name like Kevin Weiburg who isn't even working in Athletics right now.

Reaction Score
Scratch one off of the list. Nevada AD Doug Knuth, UConn grad, not looking for new job.

Reached by the Reno Gazette-Journal on Friday, Knuth said he’s not looking for a new job.

“It’s not something I think about all day long,” Knuth told the RGJ. “I’m focused on what we’re doing here, and we have a lot to do here. That’s what I am focused on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, thinking about nothing but Nevada. Obviously they’re my alma mater and I follow them and I cheer for them whenever I catch them on TV, but it’s not something I’m focused on right now.”

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...b-open-pack-ad-knuth-focused-nevada/79539510/

Reaction Score
Scratch one off of the list. Nevada AD Doug Knuth, UConn grad, not looking for new job.

Reached by the Reno Gazette-Journal on Friday, Knuth said he’s not looking for a new job.

“It’s not something I think about all day long,” Knuth told the RGJ. “I’m focused on what we’re doing here, and we have a lot to do here. That’s what I am focused on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, thinking about nothing but Nevada. Obviously they’re my alma mater and I follow them and I cheer for them whenever I catch them on TV, but it’s not something I’m focused on right now.”

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/col...b-open-pack-ad-knuth-focused-nevada/79539510/
Interesting.....kind of sounds like what Warde said when UM fired Dave Brandon

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

There is nothing in that statement that says Dougs not interested.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
There is nothing in that statement that says Dougs not interested.
looks like this guy is swinging and missing all over the place

Reaction Score
Another guy who believes the Jurich PR machine. The only thing Jurich did at Louisville is build up his athletic Dept..unlike his peer and successor at Colorado St Jeff Hathaway!
If you are going to discount Frazier...then throw out every other name mentioned and just give the job to Tranghese...let him get us into a P-5 conference and be done with it. Why would a guy like Frazier take a demotion and come here as Asst AD when he can wait another 3-4 years and walk right into Madison when Alvarez retires. It says something about the Character and reputation of Sean Frazier when Jim Delany personally recommended him to Rutgers as Pernetti's replacement.

Why is it that people think it is the job of an AD to get a school into a conf.? If Fordham U wanted in to the AAC is it has simple as their AD befriending all the ADs in the conference and- voila, they are in? Of course an AD has the ears of his/her president. It is certainly possible that if Uconn came up as a possible candidate the president of Mich. might speak confidentially to Warde-- Has Uconn reached it ceiling? Are they going to be on welfare with little hope of getting off or contributing? Where were the sites of resistances- what was the biggest headache? Would you have .... for Wisconsin or another school. Would you have stayed were it not Mich. calling? Ads are the eyes of a president within the business world of athletics- not more. Of course there are some influencial people in the business.

Reaction Score
Why is it that people think it is the job of an AD to get a school into a conf.? If Fordham U wanted in to the AAC is it has simple as their AD befriending all the ADs in the conference and- voila, they are in? Of course an AD has the ears of his/her president. It is certainly possible that if Uconn came up as a possible candidate the president of Mich. might speak confidentially to Warde-- Has Uconn reached it ceiling? Are they going to be on welfare with little hope of getting off or contributing? Where were the sites of resistances- what was the biggest headache? Would you have .... for Wisconsin or another school. Would you have stayed were it not Mich. calling? Ads are the eyes of a president within the business world of athletics- not more. Of course there are some influencial people in the business.

Here is something you may be interested in -- from the Sporting News which argued for Texas to hire Tom Jurich away from Louisville with pay "at whatever it takes." It also noted his "positive approach."

Make no mistake, the ACC added Louisville because of the football program — not the basketball program. The ACC added Louisville because of Jurich and his relentlessly positive approach, and how he raised millions of dollars for new facilities all over campus and made little ol' Louisville look and feel like an SEC school without ever offending the deep, passionate basketball fan base.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ed-texas-should-hire-louisville-ad-tom-jurich

Reaction Score
Here is something you may be interested in -- from the Sporting News which argued for Texas to hire Tom Jurich away from Louisville with pay "at whatever it takes." It also noted his "positive approach."

Make no mistake, the ACC added Louisville because of the football program — not the basketball program. The ACC added Louisville because of Jurich and his relentlessly positive approach, and how he raised millions of dollars for new facilities all over campus and made little ol' Louisville look and feel like an SEC school without ever offending the deep, passionate basketball fan base.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ed-texas-should-hire-louisville-ad-tom-jurich
Jurich turned down UT...and after his support for that train wreck he sold Rutgers a bill of goods on..anyone he wants to "push" for the AD job at UConn..thanks but no thanks...

Reaction Score
BCgenius 7:50pm via Twitter for iPhone Per source today, potential #uconn AD target Sean Frazier to interview at Illinois this week
Led by an interim chancellor and rebounding after firing the Illini football coach and president (# 2 in command), it's still no shocker for Illinois to interview such a highly respected guy with a solid B1G reputation now working 3 hours upstate. The linked Chicago Tribune article suggests possible Illini candidates may have steered away from Champaign-Urbana's current cluster mess, but B1G is B1G.

"Some potential candidates have been uneasy about pursuing the opening, sources said, because of the uncertainty above the job in the university hierarchy. Chancellor Barbara Wilson is operating on an interim basis."

Reaction Score
Hi: Thanks for the input and indeed I may be an ignorant fan! But I would caution about believing that the AD has a small role in realignment -- at least not in the P5. Susan Herbst may make some kind of statement in public -- but she and her presidential colleagues use ADs in the highly confidential pre-vote phase. Then the lawyers take over.

Here is part of an article that appeared in Forbes last year about the changing role of ADs. What is key from the article is that every school is in a unique position. That is why universities need to be very careful about who they hire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbe...-day-college-athletics-director/#6a3a61b82002

Written by Daniel Parker, Vice President & Managing Director, Sports at Parker Executive Search and Jason Belzer, Founder of GAME, Inc. and a Professor of Organizational Behavior and Sports Law at Rutgers University.

• Advising their university administration and constituents on how to best navigate through conference realignment. That means being proactive instead of reactive when it comes to best positioning their departments to make a move into a different conference, as well as ascertaining the changing landscape of their current conference and peer institutions that can potentially hurt their own future opportunities. Conference realignment often has a clear set of winners and losers, and athletic directors that are ill prepared to lead their universities through such tumultuous processes can often also be its first casualty.

I'm not sure what we can use this for. One would think that an AD's job is to do precisely as your quote state. This is not an argument that follows- if they do the right thing we will get to P5 A. Let me share here a piece of info I have gathered from another reading on conf realignment. It is indeed possible that Uconn erred in positioning themselve- as the Boneyard persists in repeating. That is, we took it for granted that accomplishments on the field is enough or should speak for itself. Not so. Look at TX. That school started with all the resources one could dream about: money, size, players galore, and unending legislature support (even a willingness to play under the table); but, what have they accomplished over their history? One championship in FB and a lot of minor ones dating back to their days in some local conf that they wreck. Really, what have they accomplished? We cry that the B10 took Rutgers (and not Us); that we were left behind by the ACC (that we rationalized in the form of a grudge by BC-- OK, but how far are willing to push that rock up the hill, because we are getting no where beyond heart satisfaction). True. Little Uconn has accomplished a lot. I get almost giddy in thinking what we could have done with a little more and a willing group of politicians. But winning is not all- even the major thing. All the P5 conference have gone well beyond winning on the field. We can beet Tx at bb and fb x5 and it will not change the equation. They can bring bodies into a stadium and asses on the living sofa in a way that a small state like Conn can only dream about. That is what Rutgers has done for the B10. It doesn't matter that they may have become a 2nd rate school in the sports that are money making. I think Uconn chances for a P5 invite lies in the school ability to deliver a mkt that is of some significance. Yes, the losing thing (at FB) is just bones being given to the fan base (as is the AAU thing. I'm harking at the latter because the B10 had a chance to create a total AAU league some time back. Today, that is no longer possible- should expansion be on the table)
So read my lips: The sad truth is that the big boys have long left performance on the field behind. Knowing quite well that three-fourth of their members will never win a championship in probably anything. This is why Uconn is in a double-bind: as they cannot change the demographics, they must wait for the whole system to fall apart followed by raiding of oneanother, hoping to get picked up; or, rethink the BE possibility- if it's there.

Reaction Score

It would be a news story if he had said, "Hell yeah, I'd love to leave this job and go back to my alma mater!"

Reaction Score
Search firm hasn't contacted him yet.
Very possible, and little to nothing rules out initial contacts with any quality AD candidate's agent, attorney, etc. Similarly, little to nothing rules out the possibility a Parker Executive Search MD, GAME coaches' agency/consultancy founder, and Rutgers' prof write articles to drum up business / consulting revenues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom