If UConn Could Hire Joe Moorhead, Would He Be Your First Choice? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If UConn Could Hire Joe Moorhead, Would He Be Your First Choice?

If UConn Could Hire Joe Moorhead, Would He Be Your First Choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn has only chump change??? Tell that to the bank manager where Hurley deposits his $2.9 million annual salary. Show me another 3rd year basketball coach anywhere where the basketball coach makes more than the FBS football coach.
What the hell does Hurleys salary have to do with the overall finances at UConn. Also, Hurley is not in his 3rd year coaching. What do you think Scheyer will make as a 1st year head coach - guarantee he'll make more than the football coach? Don't think the new Cuse coach or most any new ACC BB coach makes more than the football coach?
Again, Rutgers earns so much more money due to conference affiliation than UConn will ever get at the NBE. Period.

Reaction Score
Well, we are only 3 days in out of 7 and it is already clear that it's a landslide for JM. The fans have spoken. This sets a high bar for DB. Anyone else that gets the job is gonna be at least a partial disappointment for the BY'ers. Not a huge disappointment since we know the challenge, but a disappointment nonetheless. It will depend a lot on who gets it. But I can say this, The last three hires have given me personally a fair amount of mandibular pain I yawned so much. I am hoping for someone who makes most of us go "Oh, Yeah"!!!!!

Reaction Score
At this point I’d be happy with “that works”…
I would love someone who won't go run, run, pass, punt (or fake punt). I want to hire a coach that will give us a Defense that will be in the top 10 and an Offense that average 55 points a game. If JM is the guy, yes...

As I said before, think he wants to come back to UConn? That's what worrying me, he might say us, the bridge was burned.

Reaction Score
I still think that Moorhead or Herman should be priority #1. Entice them with everything you got. With Puma at QB, Carter at RB and our receiving core, both can come in and win relatively quickly. I hold no delusion that either would want to come here as they can get higher profile jobs. If they don't come, Cignetti or Entz should be the next priority. Both have head coaching experience and have shown they can succeed wherever they go. If that doesn't work, Harasymiak should be the next target. Successful at Maine and doing well at Minnesota. Knows New England and can get our defense back to what we are used to seeing. Then maybe Orlando if no else.

Reaction Score
I still think that Moorhead or Herman should be priority #1. Entice them with everything you got. With Puma at QB, Carter at RB and our receiving core, both can come in and win relatively quickly. I hold no delusion that either would want to come here as they can get higher profile jobs. If they don't come, Cignetti or Entz should be the next priority. Both have head coaching experience and have shown they can succeed wherever they go. If that doesn't work, Harasymiak should be the next target. Successful at Maine and doing well at Minnesota. Knows New England and can get our defense back to what we are used to seeing. Then maybe Orlando if no else.
The thing I like about Moorhead is not only is he a brilliant offensive mind, but he recruited very well for the short time he was the OC here at UConn.

Reaction Score
I have this feeling that Herman would be more unlikely to come to UConn than Moorhead. Bigger step back and a southerner.

Reaction Score
Herman is a good coach especially when he had talented players. I don’t know if he has the toughness to handle a job like UConn. His most successful team lost to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What the hell does Hurleys salary have to do with the overall finances at UConn?

Perhaps that the board of trustees has decided that the school is fiscally able to pay a head coach $3 million a year?

Reaction Score
I have this feeling that Herman would be more unlikely to come to UConn than Moorhead. Bigger step back and a southerner.
If Sonny Dykes takes the Texas Tech job SMU would likely go after Herman.

Reaction Score
If Sonny Dykes takes the Texas Tech job SMU would likely go after Herman.
Can SMU pay Herman what he wants? I feel like UConn is in a position to offer him more money for his salary and assistant pool.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Can SMU pay Herman what he wants? I feel like UConn is in a position to offer him more money for his salary and assistant pool.
Can't remember exactly, but i was shocked at Dykes salary...1.1 i think

Reaction Score
This UConn win likley solidified Diaco getting a contract extension if I remember correctly. Worst UConn win ever!!

My eyes misted up when we beat Houston. I thought maybe we had turned the corner. I was still really worried about scoring points and the fact that Boyle looked pretty stiff but it seemed like Diaco would figure it out.

Games like that show you just how bad Edsall was this time around. Diaco won 6 games and went to a bowl. Even later as we got worse, we didn’t get crushed like Edsall let us get crushed.

Reaction Score

“What kind of coaching pool can UConn get? When former AD Warde Manuel hired Diaco in 2013, he was one of the country’s top coordinators at Notre Dame. He beat out a pool that included Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman.”

Tom Herman was at running for the job before and was beat out by Diaco according to this article. Herman also coached north at Ohio State. I don’t see why we don’t have a chance.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about Moorhead is not only is he a brilliant offensive mind, but he recruited very well for the short time he was the OC here at UConn.
And he knows QB. Something we haven't had much luck with development since Dan O.

Reaction Score
Aside from whether we could even sniff his resume (I don't think we could), something to know about Moorhead is that he is an interesting character. We are friends with a Connecticut family whose son played for Moorhead at Fordham.

Moorhead ran the offense and had a DC run the defense. The relationship between the offensive and defensive squads was quite testy and always competitive. They weren't fam and friends like a lot of teams. A very intense environment.

All that said, Fordham was an elite FCS team and in the FCS championship hunt most years. But he created winners by creating an openly edgy team environment.

Reaction Score
My impression of the Coastal coach is that he’s a true southerner. He’s from Tennessee and he’s coached several places in the south. I think he’d be looking for a job in that region. Maybe replace Clawson if he leaves Wake for a bigger job or something like that. I don’t see him in CT. I’d love to have him but I doubt he’s an option. If I were him, I’d stay right in that area where I know I can recruit and succeed. No point in taking a huge gamble at UConn. He’ll have opportunities within his comfort zone.

A guy like Tom Herman is different. He’s had experience in Texas and Ohio and probably elsewhere. He’s a guy that can go get players anywhere and bring them to CT.

Reaction Score
The Coastal Coach's next gig is a P5 school. Bet the farm on it. Anything else is a lateral move.

Reaction Score
It will be really hard to not do better than Edsall.

Just by simply starting the best players we will see big improvement.

Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh will fit with anyone that will play his style. Stay healthy young man!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom