If Shabazz DOES go pro this year... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Shabazz DOES go pro this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Rudy is up there because of objective criteria, so be it. But, as good a pro as he is, Rudy accomplished doodly squat here compared to Ben, Caron and frankly many others (Boone, Thabeet, Adrien, and you can make a case for KO). His numbers were good, and his potential for the NBA was enormous, but in terms of making the team better and leading it to new heights -- you can't even make a case for Rudy.
100% agree. You can also put AJ Price in that discussion.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Taking this team, putting it on his back, taking it from where it was projected to finish, given the circumstances with transfers, NBA, bans, etc. and leading it to where we are now with a real chance of finishing near the top of the BE is a marker of greatness in my opinion.

caw

Reaction Score
If Rudy is up there because of objective criteria, so be it. But, as good a pro as he is, Rudy accomplished doodly squat here compared to Ben, Caron and frankly many others (Boone, Thabeet, Adrien, and you can make a case for KO). His numbers were good, and his potential for the NBA was enormous, but in terms of making the team better and leading it to new heights -- you can't even make a case for Rudy.

Did Rudy really do that much worse than Caron?

Freshman year: 2001 vs 2005:

Caron: 15.3 Pts, 7.6 Reb, 3.1 Ast, 20-12 (8-8)
Rudy: 11.8 Pts, 5.4 Reb, 1.5 Ast, 23-8 (13-3)
Rudy went to the NCAAT and went to the second round and won a BE regular season trophy

Sophomore year: 2002 vs 2006:

Caron: 20.3 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 3.0 Ast, 27-7 (13-3)
Rudy: 15.2 Pts, 6.4 Reb, 2.1 Ast, 30-4 (14-2)
Both went to the Elite Eight, both won a BE regular season trophy. Caron's team also won the BET.

Rudy's individual stats were lower, but his team's accomplishments are pretty close to Caron's. Butler has a BET trophy, but Rudy went to the NCAAT twice and picked up an additional BE regular season trophy.

Yes, Caron took over more than Rudy did, but it's not like Rudy's teams actually accomplished less.

pj

Reaction Score
Bazz belongs. He's done more for UConn than Rudy Gay did. He was a crucial piece of a national championship team and he's carried two very limited teams since. If he doesn't make AA lists, it's an oversight by the national media, not Bazz's fault.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Shabazz shouldn't get in if he leaves after this year, barring something insane in these last 4 games if we can win the regular season. If he comes back next year, I'd say he makes one of the AA teams and gets in.

Reaction Score
I thought originally a player had to get his degree to make the list. Does anyone know if this was once true?

Shabazz would be close. A championship is definitely a good thing. I think if we could have played in 3-5 post season games this year and he did well in them/ continued to climb up the all time lists of points, assists, and steals, than that would help his case some.

Reaction Score

Rudy went to the NCAAT and went to the second round and won a BE regular season trophy

Both went to the Elite Eight, both won a BE regular season trophy. Caron's team also won the BET.

Rudy's individual stats were lower, but his team's accomplishments are pretty close to Caron's. Butler has a BET trophy, but Rudy went to the NCAAT twice and picked up an additional BE regular season trophy.

Yes, Caron took over more than Rudy did, but it's not like Rudy's teams actually accomplished less.
Until Kemba I have never seen a UConn player carry a team more then Caron did in 2002. That team had no business getting the E8.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, the Huskies of Honor list is meaningless until they add Khalid El-Amin. He is the guy that put UConn over the hump. JC made UConn a top program, but one that could never make it to the FF. KEA inserted a degree of leadership and competitiveness that was lacking from other honorees that came before. He took over the program on his recruiting visit for crying out loud. It's a shame he turned an ankle the year after the NC. The team would have made a nother nice run. Folks forget he gave Gilbert Arenas a basketball lesson earlier that year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did Rudy really do that much worse than Caron?....

The problem with your analysis is calling it "Rudy's team". No team was ever Rudy's team. Caron led, Rudy followed.

caw

Reaction Score
Until Kemba I have never seen a UConn player carry a team more then Caron did in 2002. That team had no business getting the E8.

I agree that Caron did carry the team, but my point was that both players got their teams to the same spot. Rudy filled the role he needed to on that team with a lot of upperclassmen with rings. Caron filled the role of a leader on a team filled with underclassmen.

caw

Reaction Score
The problem with your analysis is calling it "Rudy's team". No team was ever Rudy's team. Caron led, Rudy followed.

The hate for Rudy is amazing.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I didn't want to look up the media guide but didn't think Rudy was ever the star of his team.

Reaction Score
Bazz belongs. He's done more for UConn than Rudy Gay did. He was a crucial piece of a national championship team and he's carried two very limited teams since. If he doesn't make AA lists, it's an oversight by the national media, not Bazz's fault.

Not to bash the kid, but...
1) Yes, he was a crucial piece of the NC team, but he was no more than the 4th best player on that team behind Walker, Lamb, and Oriakhi.
2) He did not carry last year's team, and if he did, what did he carry them to exactly? Shabazz had a very up-and-down sophomore year. He had some great games, and he had some absolutely awful games. We can't give him credit for being part of an overachieving team this year without acknowledging that he was also part of an underachieving team last year.
3) He has unquestionably had an outstanding junior season. But as great as it's been, is it really on par with the final years that some of the other Huskies of Honor had? Kemba, Emeka, Rip, etc.?

caw

Reaction Score
I didn't want to look up the media guide but didn't think Rudy was ever the star of his team.

The POY and All-American voters disagreed.

Reaction Score
Until Kemba I have never seen a UConn player carry a team more then Caron did in 2002. .
This. At the time Uconn was eliminated from the NCAA Tourney that year you could have made the case that Caron was performing better than any player in the country. This is something that stats alone will not show you. If you saw them both play in their last year at Uconn you know what I am talking about. To be fair, if Rudy came back for his junior year he may very well have reached that level.

Reaction Score

That is why numbers are of such limited use. Caron and rudy had similar numbers, on similar teams. But that is where the comparison ended. Caron was the friggin team. In '06, Rudy played with Marcus, Rashad, Denham, Hilton, Boone, Nelson and Adrien. You can easily make a case that the team would have been better if Rudy wasn't there and Rashad and Denham could have had more minutes in crunch time.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with this. Bazz has huge balls, and plays in crunch time with guts and passion. But he does not play hard, on both sides of the ball, for 40 minutes a game night in and night out. Not like Caron did. Not like Kemba did.

Reaction Score
I'd loosely group Bazz along with KEA and AJ as exceptionally good Huskies, but a notch behind those two. If the selection criteria and process says KEA and AJ aren't included, then neither should Bazz. Any perceived "watering down" of this honor neeeds to be understood and the definition of "great" must be consistent, hence some questions re: Rudy vs Caron and Ben.

Reaction Score

2005 Big East Freshman of the Year
2005 Sporting News National Freshman of the Year
2006 Big East 1st team
2006 One of four Wooden Award Finalists
2006 NABC 1st team All-American, AP 2nd team All-American

2 Big East regular season championships (our last two)
53-12 overall record, 27-5 Big East record

yes, we lost to George Mason. he played very well in that game. get over it.

Reaction Score
I'd loosely group Bazz along with KEA and AJ as exceptionally good Huskies, but a notch behind those two. If the selection criteria and process says KEA and AJ aren't included, then neither should Bazz. Any perceived "watering down" of this honor neeeds to be understood and the definition of "great" must be consistent, hence some questions re: Rudy vs Caron and Ben.

I agree with this. Bazz has to come back and lead us to a top-10 caliber season (BE contenders, noise in the BET, E8 or better) to be considered.

Also, my 2 cents on the Rudy/Caron question: Rudy was the best player on that 2006 team, but he was not its leader (that was MW). Caron was both, and their teams had similar accomplishments in their sophomore/final seasons. Caron deserves it as much as Rudy does, if not more.

Reaction Score
2005 Big East Freshman of the Year
2005 Sporting News National Freshman of the Year
2006 Big East 1st team
2006 One of four Wooden Award Finalists
2006 NABC 1st team All-American, AP 2nd team All-American

2 Big East regular season championships (our last two)
53-12 overall record, 27-5 Big East record

yes, we lost to George Mason. he played very well in that game. get over it.

Rudy was a good player, who if he stayed another year would have been an All American. I was a seasonticket holder his two years. He was nowhere near one of the fifteen or twenty most important players in the country. He just wasn't. The impact of him not being on the team either of those years would have been very little.

That's not knocking him (not like he needs me to justify his career). but it is true.

pj

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. Bazz has huge balls, and plays in crunch time with guts and passion. But he does not play hard, on both sides of the ball, for 40 minutes a game night in and night out. Not like Caron did. Not like Kemba did.

I think you're severely underestimating the degree to which Bazz has subordinated his game to the development of team chemistry and of the other players. He is Kevin Ollie's right hand and is helping to develop the team for next year. The fact that he can routinely turn it on in crunch time shows you what he could be doing statistically if he were out for his own stats and accolades.

Personally, every time I watch I see him playing hard. But he defers to other players in the first 35 minutes. Other great players at UConn did more to conserve their energy, including Ray Allen. That kind of strategic play should not be counted too severely against a great player. The key is to win the game, not to dominate every minute of play. Players like Ray won a disproportionate share of games, and so does Bazz. You can't look at the interior players this team has and say it has any business having the record it has. That success is all due to Bazz.

Reaction Score
I think you're severely underestimating the degree to which Bazz has subordinated his game to the development of team chemistry and of the other players. He is Kevin Ollie's right hand and is helping to develop the team for next year. The fact that he can routinely turn it on in crunch time shows you what he could be doing statistically if he were out for his own stats and accolades.

Personally, every time I watch I see him playing hard. But he defers to other players in the first 35 minutes. Other great players at UConn did more to conserve their energy, including Ray Allen. That kind of strategic play should not be counted too severely against a great player. The key is to win the game, not to dominate every minute of play. Players like Ray won a disproportionate share of games, and so does Bazz. You can't look at the interior players this team has and say it has any business having the record it has. That success is all due to Bazz.

I could listen to that if you explain how he's developing his teammates for next year by not keeping his man in front of him consistently on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom