If Shabazz DOES go pro this year... | The Boneyard

If Shabazz DOES go pro this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Does he make the huskies of honor?

I say yes. He has had an incredible year. He's kept UConn contenders in a time of great transition. Coaching change, bunch of transfers and others leaving yet Shabazz stays and he's the ROCK of this team.

And, oh yeah, he was pretty important in that BET championship and National Championship run as a frosh.

Thoughts?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No. You need to be an All-American or maybe BE POY?

He's a good kid, great shooter, and really fun to watch. He has also made a Hilton Armstrong type leap from his freshman year but these canonization threads are ruining it for me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If that happened it would be a slight watering down of the honor. Yes, he has been money in OT and is 2nd halves but if you break down each game he is quite often invisible offensively for big parts of them. He is like the mini-microwave only he starts. His switch is turned on often just in time. His defense seems to always be there, tho.

Reaction Score
Who are our current huskies of honor? Ray, rip, kemba, oka, Marshall, gay, smith. Must be missing the oldies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It's not a best huskies of all time list; it's a huskies of honor list. I think he's a player who deserves some honor by the fans he stuck it out for and whose team he's led through this transitional period. Years from now, KO can point up to that list of numbers, namely #13, and talk about getting through trying times and continuing to fight no matter what. Bazz is the perfect player to talk about when KO talks about having 10 toes in to all his future teams.

Reaction Score
Let me start off by saying that Shabazz is one of my favorite Huskies. He stuck by the program when he could have bolted. He's a leader. He's a heckuva ballplayer and has learned how to take a game over in crunch time and deliver a victory.

With all that said, Shabazz would be insanse to leave after this season. Coach Calhoun has always told players that if they are a lottery pick, they should go with his blessing. The only projection I've seen for Shabazz is that he might be a second round player and would surely spend time in the D-League. You have to balance this uncertain future draft status with the opportunity to come back next year as a senior as the point guard for one of the top back courts in the country and showcase your talents during a season ranked in the top ten and with a likely deep run in the NCAA's. Sure, there is the risk of injury, but there is insurance for that. Who knows whether his stock rises next year to the point of being a lottery pick, but he surely could play himself into the first round of the draft. I don't know the financial position of Shabazz's family, but unless they are in serious dire straits, he needs to invest one more year in his future.

Reaction Score
Yes! Shabazz is our little version of UK's Unforgettables. With him staying for this season, his loyalty, and saying the things he's said over the past year (not to mention his play this year), he deserves to be honored. No doubt in my mind.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It's not a best huskies of all time list; it's a huskies of honor list. I think he's a player who deserves some honor by the fans he stuck it out for and whose team he's led through this transitional period. Years from now, KO can point up to that list of numbers, namely #13, and talk about getting through trying times and continuing to fight no matter what. Bazz is the perfect player to talk about when KO talks about having 10 toes in to all his future teams.

Exactly why I think he should be in! Well put.

Reaction Score
Is Rudy more deserving than bazz? I think not. But that's politics

The original criteria called for a first team All American selection, which Rudy had in 06. Not sure if the criteria has changed as I don't believe BG or Caron were 1st team All Americans.

caw

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon, Caron Butler and Hasheem Thabeet should all be in line first. Thabeet was two time DPOY BE and co POY BE once. He was also a second team All-American and national DPOY.

Reaction Score

But he's not the only player who stayed and he's not the only player who is playing his rear end off despite having no postseason to shoot for. Sure, he's the best player of the bunch, but I'm not sure how much that means when your talking about a historic (and very selective) list of Uconn greats.

If he comes back next year, picks up some hardware for himself, and leads the team on another postseason run, then he's in the conversation.

Reaction Score
Yes! Shabazz is our little version of UK's Unforgettables. With him staying for this season, his loyalty, and saying the things he's said over the past year (not to mention his play this year), he deserves to be honored. No doubt in my mind.
How do you put a guy up there that will not be on any All-American teams?

Reaction Score
It's hard to comment on a list that has Rudy Gay on it and not Caron or Ben. Because if the standard is what Gay contributed, you can more than make a case for Shabazz. But if you compare Shabazz to Ben or Caron (or even to a Josh Boone), who aren't there, it's not even close.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Isn't the criteria first team all America or player of the year ?

Reaction Score
This is not a sportsmanship list, if it was Rudy Johnson would be up there, this is to honor GREATNESS.

I love Shabazz, but you cannot put a guy up there who will not a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team AA. His greatest individual accomplishment will be if he makes 1st team all BE, and that is not a guarantee.

I agree Rudy shoulda been behind Caron and Ben, but Rudy was a finalist for national player of the year and 1st team AA.

Reaction Score
You need to be an All-American.

Somewhat arbitrary, but perhaps reasonable distinction. Otherwise, every season would evoke discussions like this about who should (or should not) be honored.

Reaction Score
This is not a sportsmanship list, if it was Rudy Johnson would be up there, this is to honor GREATNESS.

I love Shabazz, but you cannot put a guy up there who will not a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team AA. His greatest individual accomplishment will be if he makes 1st team all BE, and that is not a guarantee.

I agree Rudy shoulda been behind Caron and Ben, but Rudy was a finalist for national player of the year and 1st team AA.

If Rudy is up there because of objective criteria, so be it. But, as good a pro as he is, Rudy accomplished doodly squat here compared to Ben, Caron and frankly many others (Boone, Thabeet, Adrien, and you can make a case for KO). His numbers were good, and his potential for the NBA was enormous, but in terms of making the team better and leading it to new heights -- you can't even make a case for Rudy.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I say no IF he leaves BUT if he comes back then I think he makes it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom