If not Elston, then who for HCBD's DC? | The Boneyard

If not Elston, then who for HCBD's DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.southbendtribune.com/spo...cle_d0013cec-6524-11e3-a5b6-001a4bcf6878.html

I believe it is extremely important for HCBD to convince someone he is very comfortable and familiar with to be his DC. The defensive philosophy will be BD's. But if he can't get someone already intimately familiar with it to come to UCONN ... he will spend a great deal of time teaching his own D to his own DC.

Interesting tid-bit from the article:

Kelly said Diaco’s successor will have to have a back-ground in the 3-4 defense, but also must know how to flip it to a 4-3.

“We were last year almost 50-50, three down and four down,” Kelly said. “We have to have the ability to adjust to playing option, playing spreads.”

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
It's alarming that he couldn't convince one of his colleagues to join him and get a promotion.

Reaction Score
It's alarming that he couldn't convince one of his colleagues to join him and get a promotion.
Not sure it is alarming as of yet. He is supposed to start interviewing existing UConn staff tomorrow. Plus we have no idea who he is thinking of talking to. I trust he will make good decisions and get people who are competent. I am really interested in getting some high quality assistant that are great recruiters.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Given that you don't know what he's getting on the other end, there is not enough information to make that statement.

It's just a statement. I'm not listing any reasons on why he couldn't get him here. He's being heralded on this board for his recruiting prowess but couldn't get a person he worked with to join him here with a promotion in hand? That's a red flag for me.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think Brian Kelly decided prioritize keeping Elston and moved quickly. That's what I read into it.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Not sure it is alarming as of yet. He is supposed to start interviewing existing UConn staff tomorrow. Plus we have no idea who he is thinking of talking to. I trust he will make good decisions and get people who are competent. I am really interested in getting some high quality assistant that are great recruiters.

Shouldn't you wait and see what he does tho before you trust his decision making in hiring his staff?

Reaction Score
It's just a statement. I'm not listing any reasons on why he couldn't get him here. He's being heralded on this board for his recruiting prowess but couldn't get a person he worked with to join him here with a promotion in hand? That's a red flag for me.

Remove the red flag from your a s s.

Someone PERHAPS didn't want to leave ND where they played for a national championship a year ago to come to UConn and it's a red flag for you? Most of us understand you just like to push buttons, but with everything the program has gone through you're just coming off as a , not insightful, and definitely not funny.

Reaction Score
I got this interesting list from the ND forum:

OC/RB Mike Haywood - Hired by Pitt as HC, but fired due to arrest on domestic dispute but charges were dismissed. Last interviewed for coaching job at Tulane in 2011. Currently working for an oil company. No longer in football but wants another chance. Did well as coach of Miami Ohio.

Ast./HC QB Chuck Long - Fired as HC of San Diego State. Current Big Ten network analyst
OL Steve Shankweiler - OL coach and RB coordinator for FIU
WR Jemal Davis - HC Nowich Free Academy
ST/TE Bernie Parmalee - TE coach KC Chiefs

DC/CB Tom Bradley - Former PSU Asst. Coach and DC. Just took new job with CBS Sports Network broadcast team. "Bradley was named Penn State’s Defensive Coordinator in 2000 and his defenses quickly became known for their creativity and “bend-don’t-break” style."
DL Hank Hughes - Uconn
LB Ron Vanderlin - just let go as PSU LB coach
S Kermit Buggs - Uconn

Obviously there is no likely connection to Diaco and we would be way over budget, but interesting list. I'd substitute Weist for Haywood and Day for Long as QBC.

JacksonJeffcoat wrote on the Scout ND forum:

Re: Elston

IrishLawAlum wrote: Turned down UCONN and is staying at ND. If I'm Coach Diaco this is how my team would look

OC/RB Mike Haywood - use his TX connections
Ast./HC QB Chuck Long - use his San Diego connections
OL Steve Shankweiler - use his Florida Connections
WR Jemal Davis
ST/TE Bernie Parmalee

DC/CB Tom Bradley
DL Hank Hughes
LB Ron Vanderlin
S Kermit Suggs I think he meant Buggs)

Bring back that PSU team from the grave so you have a bunch of coaches familiar with the East Coast.

Reaction Score

Kelly said he expected everyone to stay after he talked about the rumors........he expects it because they all got raises!!!

No matter what business this is ultimately the winner a high % of the time!

Reaction Score

I don't raise red flags until I have complete information, but that's just me . . .

Reaction Score
No red flags......

If you were told you may have a chance to be next Notre Dame DC.......would you interview at ND or leave to become UConn DC?

Reaction Score
I got this interesting list from the ND forum:

OC/RB Mike Haywood - use his TX connections
Ast./HC QB Chuck Long - use his San Diego connections
OL Steve Shankweiler - use his Florida Connections

Coach D said he sees no reason why 25 players can't be plucked from the northeast. With that said, we need coaches who can recruit the northeast, not TX and CA. Let's keep the recruiting focused on NE, NJ, OH, PA, FLA, GA, VA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Maybe he's getting a promotion at ND? As others have said, wait and see.

Reaction Score

Everything seems to be a red flag for you.

Reaction Score
Just kidding, geography isn't my best attribute, but I know GA, VA, FLA, and OHIO are not in the northeast.

I like to aim big....if Bob D has the ability to attract the best from anywhere.......go for it. Why limit yourself to a area (NE) with limited potential?

Reaction Score

You have been a negative nancy every since he was announced as the new head coach. Give it up. It's been 4 days or so.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
No red flags......

If you were told you may have a chance to be next Notre Dame DC.......would you interview at ND or leave to become UConn DC?

I'm the wrong person to ask, I'd coach at EO Smith to be near UCONN.

Reaction Score
images

This ought to solve everything :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Some of those names are quite interesting. The first thing that needs to be discarded however is Hughes as DL coach. I doubt that he would want to stick around and I'm sure that there are many candidates who would be better at teaching a two gap technique.

As far as Shankweiler, if we can't lure a coach from FIU (if we really want him) we are in bigger trouble than any Rutty, BC or Cuse fan has claimed to date. I am curious as to what a RB coordinator does. I still think I would prefer Foley however.

Reaction Score
If Diaco did indeed strike out on his first choice for DC it makes it even more imperative IMO that he tries to keep our offensive staff together. Those guys had the offense cranking at the end of the year, you don't want to turn them away only to find yourself struggling to put a staff together during crunch time in the recruiting season.

Keep the offensive staff together! I wouldn't have a problem if Diaco kept everyone on defense as well. Continuity didn't fail us last time, PGDL and their old fashioned, non creative brand of offense did. If P kept Moorhead in charge of the offense he would still have a job.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Diaco did indeed strike out on his first choice for DC it makes it even more imperative IMO that he tries to keep our offensive staff together. Those guys had the offense cranking at the end of the year, you don't want to turn them away only to find yourself struggling to put a staff together during crunch time in the recruiting season.

Keep the offensive staff together! I wouldn't have a problem if Diaco kept everyone on defense as well. Continuity didn't fail us last time, PGDL and their old fashioned, non creative brand of offense did. If P kept Moorhead in charge of the offense he would still have a job.

God almighty, give the Weist a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate