If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B??

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Intriguing idea, but living in the moment would get in the way of our ability to fret, panic and whine about future events that we have absolutely no control over.

Yes, it is our way and we are very good at it. But multitasking just diminishes the greatness of it. Best to focus on that wonderful recruiting angst from May through what, Oct. 21?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There's a lot of dominoes to fall in this scenario. Many of the top guards in this class have the same schools on their lists. How many spots are available at each of these schools and could some of them possibly choose the same school? That's unclear to me.

I don't know Hailey Van Lith's list offhand but it sounds like both Oregon schools are in play. Both Oregon schools also are recruiting Clark, as is ND. Oregon and ND are recruiting Deja Kelly. Just about everyone is recruiting Bueckers, I think.

Clark professes to be undecided with Oregon, Oregon State, ND, Iowa, and Iowa State as some of her top contenders. ND no doubt is recruiting her hard, but "if ND signs Clark" remains a big if.

Reaction Score
Intriguing idea, but living in the moment would get in the way of our ability to fret, panic and whine about future events that we have absolutely no control over.
Now that’s funny!

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can count out the Whalen factor for Paige. Sure she could go to Uconn or ND and be one of many great players that have gone to play there, or she could go to MN and learn from one of her favorite players and bring MN back to the national spotlight.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don’t think you can count out the Whalen factor for Paige. Sure she could go to Uconn or ND and be one of many great players that have gone to play there, or she could go to MN and learn from one of her favorite players and bring MN back to the national spotlight.

I agree. Said as much in a very dark post up above about an Orange Team.

Reaction Score
Isn’t that why Boston chose South Carolina cause she wanted to go pro and Dawn would get her there.., considering how many years and UCONN games Boston strung the huskies and coaching staff along.... how many games and campus visits do u need to go on to know a school isn’t for u... Boston liked the hype of the UCONN experience more then actually being part of the program.. good luck at SC.. let’s see after one year how many of that class transfer out!!!
@BleedBlue19 -I don't like some of the above stuff. But this one I believe is true. Way too many, IMO, players string and milk each visit. They enjoy being petted, wined and dined, and adored(?). Too, I agree they know early in their Jr (HS) year where they want to go.
The problem has another aspect: College's recruit many more than they will accept, or in Uconn's case their expectation are very very high on basketball skills and personal attitudes, tatoo's, etc.
No disrespect to you guys. But if you have not been involved with D1 recruiting then you have no idea what these kids go through.
I can tell you it is not as easy as some of you make it sound. These can be and are life changing decisions. I have witnessed it first hand with my niece.
I can give you many stories about it.
It has to be even crazier with these top 25 high level kids.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to you guys. But if you have not been involved with D1 recruiting then you have no idea what these kids go through.
I can tell you it is not as easy as some of you make it sound. These can be and are life changing decisions. I have witnessed it first hand with my niece.
I can give you many stories about it.
It has to be even crazier with these top 25 high level kids.
No disrespect seen. Your opinion, and your view of your niece adjusts your opinion we understand. However, over the past 10 or so years reading what some of them post and the number of visits they make tend to bolster my less than inside opinion. You have to see that all this attention for top 25 kids could and can give them (sometimes) false impressions of their importance. I believe (reading into) Geno's comments appear to suggest this is happening. I'm not implying that if at 18 (instead of being told I was a dumb recruit) I was told how heavenly wonderful in every way I was--you can bet my head would float over both poles and I would glow brightly.

Reaction Score
Whalen is also one of my favorite players, tough, determined, and nice. The greatest game in my opinion ever was the DT vs Whalen Minne/UC game. Nose to nose, head to head, every point meant a point by the opposing team. Great game. On that basis I would not count Minne or Whalen out of the running, she is tenacious. I hope however Paige selects Uconn.
Whalen was the most controlled "out of control" player I ever saw before that game.

Reaction Score
Whalen is also one of my favorite players, tough, determined, and nice. The greatest game in my opinion ever was the DT vs Whalen Minne/UC game. Nose to nose, head to head, every point meant a point by the opposing team. Great game. On that basis I would not count Minne or Whalen out of the running, she is tenacious. I hope however Paige selects Uconn.
Whalen was the most controlled "out of control" player I ever saw before that game.

I agree, that was a great game. I’m hoping Paige chooses Minny but I would not be shocked to see her choose ND or Uconn. Whoever gets here will be lucky n

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
This is not directed at any one poster.

I hope Paige does NOT read the BY. There have been several comparisons to DT already. If I were her, I would not want to be thought of as the second coming of Taurasi. I would want to be the first coming of Bueckers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is not directed at any one poster.

I hope Paige does NOT read the BY. There have been several comparisons to DT already. If I were her, I would not want to be thought of as the second coming of Taurasi. I would want to be the first coming of Bueckers.
I hope no recruit reads the Boneyard, ever. Not unless it's someone we want to scare away.

Reaction Score
I know several recruits that have read the BY and actually found it quite amusing....................most of the top kids have been critiqued since they were eight year olds........................frankly there's very little they can read here that they have not heard elsewhere............

Reaction Score
Bueckers - Minnesota (A'ja Wilson Part 2)
Clark - Iowa State
Van Lith - Oregon or Oregon State
Andrews and Guesters - Baylor
Cardoso - UCONN
Reese - MD / SC / TENN
Parrish - TN/Oregon

just best guesses

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Based on this from a Stanford BBall insider, here's the list of top recruits who have indicated Stanford is of interest to them:

Natalija Marshal 6-5 Post from NY Ranked # 14 Lists Stanford as one of her top 10.
Kylee Watson, 6-2 F PA, # 13 in her class
Dalayah Daniels, 6-3 Post Washington. Ranked # 16 in her class
Sasha Goforth, 6-0 G, ranked # 8 in her class
Paige Bueckers, 5-9 Guard, MN, # 5 in her Class
Harmoni Turner - 5'9" PG from Mansfield Texas (HoopGurlz #56, PN #34)
Deja Kelly - 5'8" PG from Dallas Texas (HoopGurlz #22, PN #50)

We have two remaining spots for the 2020 class. My guess based on articulations of interest is that Marshal will come if she is admissible - that's usually the biggest hurdle for getting top recruits. She has emphasized importance of academics and specifically Stanford. I don't have a great sense beyond her as to whether the others are seriously interested and/or committed to doing what it takes to get in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A recent report from Oregon State also stated they had been to numerous games/workouts, so while it may not be reported as widely, they very well may be going after her just as hard as ND, same with Oregon/Iowa/Iowa State.

Oregon State will (potentially) still have Destiny Slocum and Aleah Goodman as seniors running the point when a 2020 PG such as Van Lith or Clark. While that may not provide immediate playing time. TONS of time for their next 3 seasons. They have a combined 1 guard in 2018 and 2019 classes.

Oregon will have Jazmin Shelley, Holly Winterburn, and Taylor Chavez as guards in 2018 and 2019.

Oregon

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Based on this from a Stanford BBall insider, here's the list of top recruits who have indicated Stanford is of interest to them:

Natalija Marshal 6-5 Post from NY Ranked # 14 Lists Stanford as one of her top 10.
Kylee Watson, 6-2 F PA, # 13 in her class
Dalayah Daniels, 6-3 Post Washington. Ranked # 16 in her class
Sasha Goforth, 6-0 G, ranked # 8 in her class
Paige Bueckers, 5-9 Guard, MN, # 5 in her Class
Harmoni Turner - 5'9" PG from Mansfield Texas (HoopGurlz #56, PN #34)
Deja Kelly - 5'8" PG from Dallas Texas (HoopGurlz #22, PN #50)

We have two remaining spots for the 2021 class. My guess based on articulations of interest is that Marshal will come if she is admissible - that's usually the biggest hurdle for getting top recruits. She has emphasized importance of academics and specifically Stanford. I don't have a great sense beyond her as to whether the others are seriously interested and/or committed to doing what it takes to get in.
Those rankings are off. Paige has been #1 in her class for quite some time. She #1 in in Hoopgurlz, Prospects Nation, and Blue Star.
Marshall is 12th in HoopGurlz, 16th in PN, and 13th in Blue Star.
Watson is 30th in Hoopgurlz, 17th in PN, and 6th in Blue Star.
And they are all in the 2020 class, not 2021.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Those rankings are off. Paige has been #1 in her class for quite some time. She #1 in in Hoopgurlz, Prospects Nation, and Blue Star.
Marshall is 12th in HoopGurlz, 16th in PN, and 13th in Blue Star.
Watson is 30th in Hoopgurlz, 17th in PN, and 6th in Blue Star.
And they are all in the 2020 class, not 2021.

Thanks Choke - I just directly grabbed from the CardBoard post - didn't purport it was 100% correct. And you're right about 2020 - somehow I was already thinking we were on to 2021!

Reaction Score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You have to see that all this attention for top 25 kids could and can give them (sometimes) false impressions of their importance. I believe (reading into) Geno's comments appear to suggest this is happening. -------------------------------------------------.
Reading into Geno's comments recently suggests even more than that. His comments reflect what he recognizes as a real change in the WCBB recruit dynamic. It isn't even totally reflective of their change in perspective and attitude, but also in the change in WCBB itself. There are far more excellent programs run by good coaches to chose from. In the past, the scarcity of the top programs allowed the programs to be the selectors. The few top programs had their pick with Uconn being the top dog (Husky). Now with more and more successful programs to chose from the shift has gone to the players being the ones being the ones which more options. It is all a matter of supply and demand.

The increase of in more possible contenders this season is one exampl of that that sort of developing parity. The WCBB dynamics are changing to where just being a top program does not result in having exclusive access and success in recruiting the best players anymore. .

Reaction Score
I'm still not certain whether UConn has returned to the pack...................the quality of the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes will go a long way toward determining if that is actually the case

Reaction Score
A lot of these kids string coaches and programs along... azzi Fudd has been to several UCONN games, Paige has been to several games, then there off to Notre Dame games weeks later... i find it hard to believe most of these kids don’t already know where they want to go.... that’s one thing I can’t stand about recruiting these days.. exposure , social media and the hoopla which leads to stringing coaches along the way... commit and get it over with. I can tell u if I was a athlete and I’ve been to several games sitting behind the bench and being on campus I would know if it’s the right place for me or not...
it's called capitalism/marketing....the Kardashian Syndrome

Reaction Score
Reading into Geno's comments recently suggests even more than that. His comments reflect what he recognizes as a real change in the WCBB recruit dynamic. It isn't even totally reflective of their change in perspective and attitude, but also in the change in WCBB itself. There are far more excellent programs run by good coaches to chose from. In the past, the scarcity of the top programs allowed the programs to be the selectors. The few top programs had their pick with Uconn being the top dog (Husky). Now with more and more successful programs to chose from the shift has gone to the players being the ones being the ones which more options. It is all a matter of supply and demand.

The increase of in more possible contenders this season is one exampl of that that sort of developing parity. The WCBB dynamics are changing to where just being a top program does not result in having exclusive access and success in recruiting the best players anymore. .
Over the past 10 or a bit more years Geno has lamented on the change in the attitude of those being recruited. If you dig deep enough into his programs or public releases this isn't new. I'm dont have enough reasons to dig those out--I don't hang on his every word but some are worthy of noting.

Parity? Thrown around a lot without an kind of long term proof of it's existence. Also some who seem to know say the fact that Uconn is in the AAC is a killer for recruiting. Maybe some.
If this is Parity it exists this, and maybe next season, only because Uconn (I read) counted on a big or 2 and had a guard or 3 that didn't pan out. It is a case of you win some you lose some. So, if the pundits of the left are right few will ever again choose Uconn--if those on the other side are right Geno will have a couple of bigs and a few guards. If that should be the case, with his past history, can we then expect the "parity" to disappear??

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm still not certain whether UConn has returned to the pack....the quality of the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes will go a long way toward determining if that is actually the case
I'm not certain, no one is, whether Uconn has a top recruiting class in it's near future. There are as many reasons for NOT taking Uconn as your school of choice and there are probably fewer these coming years to be a Uconn recruit. Remember --At UCONN players don't automatically play, Meg Walker is the proof of that, even top number one players must perform in practice as they have never done in their previous playing time. That is a hard sell to a kid who is the fix all to end all scoring machines in AAU/HS. As the old Sveta story--I score, why should I defend? It is a wonder Uconn gets any--only very special kids will accept that. How many like that still exist? Quid Pro Quo isn't a guarantee at Uconn. Is Genos Quid the same as the Kids Quo?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Love Paige as a player but MN is mired in the middle of the Big 10 conference and has been there for a while. In the last decade MN highest finish in the conference has been 3rd-last season. It is going to take a few Paige(s) to bring Minnesota back to the national spotlight.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom