If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B?? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B??

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Love Paige as a player but MN is mired in the middle of the Big 10 conference and has been there for a while. In the last decade MN highest finish in the conference has been 3rd-last season. It is going to take a few Paige(s) to bring Minnesota back to the national spotlight.
So true. You know, with all this talk about Bueckers going elsewhere, doesn't that leave the door open for Fudd? I mean, I love Beuckers, but Fudd really stokes my fires as well.

Reaction Score
I'm not certain, no one is, whether Uconn has a top recruiting class in it's near future. There are as many reasons for NOT taking Uconn as your school of choice and there are probably fewer these coming years to be a Uconn recruit. Remember --At UCONN players don't automatically play, Meg Walker is the proof of that, even top number one players must perform in practice as they have never done in their previous playing time. That is a hard sell to a kid who is the fix all to end all scoring machines in AAU/HS. As the old Sveta story--I score, why should I defend? It is a wonder Uconn gets any--only very special kids will accept that. How many like that still exist? Quid Pro Quo isn't a guarantee at Uconn. Is Genos Quid the same as the Kids Quo?

very true but on the other hand if you are coming to UConn in 2020 and you're really good you're likely to play early and often just based on the numbers.................I sure hope the word is out...................if you can play then you're going to play................a lot................

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So true. You know, with all this talk about Bueckers going elsewhere, doesn't that leave the door open for Fudd? I mean, I love Beuckers, but Fudd really stokes my fires as well.
Perhaps we should start a poll. Which player would you prefer if you could only pick 1, Paige or Azzi ?
I'd pick Paige, because she is a year earlier and I'm hungary. I want my cake now!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Perhaps we should start a poll. Which player would you prefer if you could only pick 1, Paige or Azzi ?
I'd pick Paige, because she is a year earlier and I'm hungary. I want my cake now!
YOU ARE SO CRUEL MAKING ME CHOOSE. I say greed is good. Okayokay get off my arm.
Fudd okay?

Okay Bueckers okay? Okayokay. Bueckudd. There. Happy?

Reaction Score
From the official site of the WNBA. It doesn't get any more real than that. I'm still puzzled by Aliyah's decision.
You don't have to be puzzled because she told us why. I guess it boils down to things seemingly less significant to us on the outside that are really important for a recruit, particularly this one. I don't think she ever explicitly said it, but I think she was just more comfortable with Coach Staley and her rising program. It's certainly not a bad choice. It's not like she spurned Geno for SCSU.

Reaction Score
This is not directed at any one poster.

I hope Paige does NOT read the BY. There have been several comparisons to DT already. If I were her, I would not want to be thought of as the second coming of Taurasi. I would want to be the first coming of Bueckers.
Gus: I suppose, as in all things, there is more than one way to look at comments or words. Even Recruits may see it positive or negative.
Personally, if I or mine was being thought of as potential UConn player and compared to DT. I would think: I/ they must be very good to be compare to the Best player in the world when she was in Uconn. Or if she was frightened away by that comment there is the strong possiblity she does not have the confidence to be a Uconn kid.
One of the two singular attirbutes top level Uconn players had as Frosh--was talent and CONFIDENCE in their abilities. Stewie had that comparison in some post as she came, CW now is getting it. Others possibly. Geno has an affinity to those with Confidence. How often have you heard or read about some not having confidence as a source of their not being Of course as you are not pointing at any one poster, neither am I point towards any potential recruit. A generalization, if you will
very true but on the other hand if you are coming to UConn in 2020 and you're really good you're likely to play early and often just based on the numbers.......I sure hope the word is out....if you can play then you're going to play......a lot......
You are right. That slipped my mind. That is a big incentive, if they realize the opportunity they are getting. If they have a modicum of talent and confidence they could get CW's opportunity. Smart kid have to be ready when the iron is hot. Thanks I forgot that completely.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if ND is working so hard to get Clark does that mean Paige is coming to UConn???????

So Tonyc, did you she the Russian Beauty on AGT this year who conjured fantastc works of art on an illuminated sand table? That's what recruiting images are; beautiful but fleeting mirages.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder if ND is working so hard to get Clark does that mean Paige is coming to UConn???????
What advantage does UConn have over ND at this point? Both have hall of fame coaches. Both programs are mainstays at the top of weekly polls and the final four. ND is generally regarded as the better academic institution. Location wise ND is a lot closer to home. ND has won a national championship more recently than UConn, and did so in such dramatic fashion that we are still seeing the replay on every ESPN game a whole year later.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Tony: As a Notre Dame-based contributor to The Boneyard, I've got to give you credit for always looking at issues in a glass half-full attitude. And the glass is filled with water that is UConn blue! :cool:

That said, I'll take a crack at this from an Irish perspective. :D
I think Muffet, Niele Ivey, et al, are recruiting Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers hard primarily because they'd like to have (one of) them attend Notre Dame. They're extraordinary talents who would both fit into MM's way of running a team and their singular talents would help propel others on the team.

But they're after both, in part, because numerous fine programs are also pursuing Clark and Bueckers. And I can bet that MM does not want to be caught holding the proverbial empty PG bag come next fall. That also explains why Deja Kelly visited an ND game this season. To my viewpoint, UConn is taking a somewhat similar tack with Paige and Hailey Van Lith. It's not "coming to UConn" or "coming to Notre Dame"; it could be "going to Minnesota or Stanford" or "Iowa, Drake or Oregon/Oregon State."

Along those lines, here's a very in-depth article on Caitlin Clark's recruiting. While there are a few schools mentioned I hadn't seen up to now (Duke), the Iowa schools, Oregon universities and Notre Dame are all specifically mentioned. The fact that Drake is nearby and their young HC, Jenny B., is also a Dowling HS alum is worth noting. Glad to see Clark has been to ND twice; the most recent a summer workshop, that 2020 ND commit Alli Campbell also attended.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ate-drake-texas-notre-dame-oregon/2909724002/

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What advantage does UConn have over ND at this point? Both have hall of fame coaches. Both programs are mainstays at the top of weekly polls and the final four. ND is generally regarded as the better academic institution. Location wise ND is a lot closer to home. ND has won a national championship more recently than UConn, and did so in such dramatic fashion that we are still seeing the replay on every ESPN game a whole year later.
11:2 UCONN Nationals Championships vs ND national Championships
37:17 Geno vs. Muffet head to head.
8:1 UCONN National Player of the Year : ND NPOY
17:5 UCONN players on WNBA rosters on opening day 2018 vs ND Players on WNBA rosters.
10:0 Overall #1 ranked player (like Paige) to play at UCONN vs playing at ND.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
11:2 UCONN Nationals Championships vs ND national Championships
37:17 Geno vs. Muffet head to head.
8:1 UCONN National Player of the Year : ND NPOY
17:5 UCONN players on WNBA rosters on opening day 2018 vs ND Players on WNBA rosters.
10:0 Overall #1 ranked player (like Paige) to play at UCONN vs playing at ND.
That last one is surprising. Muffet's never had a #1 recruit? What about Ivey?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That last one is surprising. Muffet's never had a #1 recruit? What about Ivey?

The closest ND has come recently (I believe) to attaining a #1 pick is Brianna Turner, who was Hoopgurlz's #2 in 2014, behind A'ja Wilson.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The closest ND has come recently (I believe) to attaining a #1 pick is Brianna Turner, who was Hoopgurlz's #2 in 2014, behind A'ja Wilson.
+ Jessica Shepard was #2
+ Skylar was #3
+ Taya Reimer was #4
+ Jewell Loyd was #4

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had Michelle Marciniak (#1 recruit) for the 1991-1992 season, but she and Muffet clashed and she transferred to Tennessee for her last 3 seasons of eligibility. Notre Dame has had none since. Paige can be the first #1 recruit that graduates from Notre Dame. (And her BFF Azzi could be the second!)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had Michelle Marciniak (#1 recruit) for the 1991-1992 season, but she and Muffet clashed and she transferred to Tennessee for her last 3 seasons of eligibility. Notre Dame has had none since. Paige can be the first #1 recruit that graduates from Notre Dame. (And her BFF Azzi could be the second!)
Glad see ND fans have moved off that Samantha Brunelle as #1. :D

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Glad see ND fans have moved off that Samantha Brunelle as #1. :D
Sam was once ranked #1, but has since dropped (as you know), so no Notre Dame fans of which I am aware are touting her as a #1 recruit. She is presently ranked 4th by Hoopgurlz, Prospects Nation, and Blue Star and 10th by ASGR. Certainly excellent numbers, and Irish fans are excited to welcome her to South Bend.

Reaction Score
I’m still not convinced it’s ND vs Uconn. It’s a three way race including the Gophers.

http://m.startribune.com/hiring-of-lindsay-whalen-goes-beyond-public-relations/479598603

Bueckers has a signed Whalen jersey hanging in her room and a pair of Whalen’s game-used shoes that Whalen gave her a few years ago.

The Gophers had zero chance of signing Bueckers before Whalen’s announcement. Bueckers’ father, Bob, was asked if his daughter will look at the Gophers differently now.
“Absolutely,” he said.

Reaction Score
Why would she go to the Gophers where she has very little chance of getting to a final four let alone win an NC?

Same could have been said for Whalen going to gophers. You don’t need to go to UCONN or ND to have a shot at the final four.

Also, look at the way Minnesota treats Whalen. She is synonymous with women’s basketball in Minnesota. paige could stay home and learn the game from one of the greatest PGs to ever play the game. She could be the 2nd coming of Whalen.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom