If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B?? | The Boneyard

If ND signs Clark.. What are our chances with Paige B??

Reaction Score
ND is recruiting Caitlin Clark really hard. If they sign her will they still persue Paige? That’s a lot of PG’s on one roster. Maybe muffett doesn’t think she has a good chance on Paige and is really going after Clark. I really think Paige is the next Diana in the making... a generation type player. I hope we get her.. I really think Hailey VL ends up staying close to home and either signs with Oregon or Oregon State. Geno really needs to sign a top 3 recruiting class in 20. Next season is going to be a long and rebuilding season UCONN hasn’t seen in a very long time. Losing Boston was a huge blow. Getting Hailey Jones out of California was going to be a difficult sell to get her to leave so close to home. I really think being in the AAC is going to be a down fall to the top recruits.

Reaction Score
ND is recruiting Caitlin Clark really hard. If they sign her will they still persue Paige? That’s a lot of PG’s on one roster. Maybe muffett doesn’t think she has a good chance on Paige and is really going after Clark. I really think Paige is the next Diana in the making... a generation type player. I hope we get her.. I really think Hailey VL ends up staying close to home and either signs with Oregon or Oregon State. Geno really needs to sign a top 3 recruiting class in 20. Next season is going to be a long and rebuilding season UCONN hasn’t seen in a very long time. Losing Boston was a huge blow. Getting Hailey Jones out of California was going to be a difficult sell to get her to leave so close to home. I really think being in the AAC is going to be a down fall to the top recruits.
“ I really think being in the AAC is going to be a down fall to the top recruits.”...Are you serious?? NO other P5 women’s team gets the national exposure that UConn does! They are guaranteed to be on NATIONAL t.v. 8-10 times a year, not to mention specials and their games on SNY regionally. They will also be in the environment of where 38 current and former WNBA players have played. UConn is kind of like the women’s version of Notre Dame football in that they are bigger than a conference.

Recruits who want to be coached hard and get top notch preparation to go pro will still find UConn attractive. This was just a bad year in recruiting, as there have been some in the past (single player classes of Kelly Faris and Saniya Chong come to mind). Relax and stop with the doomsday predictions. Most coaches would take a starting team of Crystal Dangerfield, ONO, MW, CW, and anyone else ( the likely 19-20 starting lineup). Have faith!

Reaction Score
A lot of these kids string coaches and programs along... azzi Fudd has been to several UCONN games, Paige has been to several games, then there off to Notre Dame games weeks later... i find it hard to believe most of these kids don’t already know where they want to go.... that’s one thing I can’t stand about recruiting these days.. exposure , social media and the hoopla which leads to stringing coaches along the way... commit and get it over with. I can tell u if I was a athlete and I’ve been to several games sitting behind the bench and being on campus I would know if it’s the right place for me or not...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To be honest, I am a little surprised that the possibility of Paige going to MN is not mentioned. As a potential generational player, she could turn her home based MN Gophers into a Big 10 favorite and become an icon for MN as well as attract other high level recruits. With one of the best PG in WNBA history coaching in Lindsey Whalen, I think they are a real threat. Yes, they might not win a NC but I am not sure that is critical to players especially if they could put the home state on the FF map. Their recent run of decent play could not hurt either.

See article (behind paywall)

Hopkins star Paige Bueckers can go anywhere — maybe even...

Reaction Score
Isn’t that why Boston chose South Carolina cause she wanted to go pro and Dawn would get her there.., considering how many years and UCONN games Boston strung the huskies and coaching staff along.... how many games and campus visits do u need to go on to know a school isn’t for u... Boston liked the hype of the UCONN experience more then actually being part of the program.. good luck at SC.. let’s see after one year how many of that class transfer out!!!
Boston went to South Carolina because she prayed on it, so I guess religion had something to do with it. Also it was closer to home, and Dawn had food native to her parents home country brought in for lunch or something like that which really impressed Aaliyah.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
A lot of these kids string coaches and programs along... azzi Fudd has been to several UCONN games, Paige has been to several games, then there off to Notre Dame games weeks later... i find it hard to believe most of these kids don’t already know where they want to go.... that’s one thing I can’t stand about recruiting these days.. exposure , social media and the hoopla which leads to stringing coaches along the way... commit and get it over with. I can tell u if I was a athlete and I’ve been to several games sitting behind the bench and being on campus I would know if it’s the right place for me or not...

In this and your other posts, you make declarative assertions based on a rather cynical view of possible recruits who "string coaches and programs along." I don't see the factual basis for that assumption about their motives . . . and their characters.

Reaction Score
In this and your other posts, you make declarative assertions based on a rather cynical view of possible recruits who "string coaches and programs along." I don't see the factual basis for that assumption about their motives . . . and their characters.
A lot of what he said is true though. There is a big "look at me" component to this that wasn't really there ten years ago.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND is recruiting Caitlin Clark really hard. If they sign her will they still persue Paige? That’s a lot of PG’s on one roster. Maybe muffett doesn’t think she has a good chance on Paige and is really going after Clark.

As an Irish follower and fan, you're right that Coach McGraw and her staff have assiduously recruited both Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers. The visits to see Clark have generated at lot of ether copy recently, but both point guards have been targeted for many years, starting with the mass recruiting event in 2017 (which both attended) and continuing to this day.

You raise some interesting questions and points ("That’s a lot of PG’s on one roster."). Some thoughts:
- Paige B. and/or Caitlin C. are premier prospects and MM realizes that chances of getting one is a challenge, so she's pursuing two. Perhaps a bit of the same logic with UConn and Paige B. and Hailey Van Lith? Both the Irish and UConn got singed a bit with the late-in-the-process decisions last fall, so maybe they're expanding the focus button a bit.
- Will the Irish pursue both if one commits? Well, have your cake and eat it, too? :D. Probably won't happen, but Bueckers can easily play off the ball. However, both strike me as alpha players who want the rock and decision-making role.
- It's interesting with the Irish: After going from a situation that had three off-guards (Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Young) learn and divvy up parts of the PG responsibilities, MM has been bringing in/targeting a plethora of guards who were lead guards (Katlyn Gilbert, Jordan Nixon, Anaya Peoples, Alli Campbell, Bueckers and Clark). Of these, Nixon is the only one designated as a pure PG and Abby Prohaska the only one NOT designated as a PG. Still, one might expect Gilbert or Peoples to have some ball-handling duties next year.
(My gut is MM never wants to be in the situation that befell her in 2017 when Ali Patberg transferred and Lili Thompson was injured.)

All of these are very good players, but not PG's of the ilk of Clark and Bueckers.

As a fan, I say keep going after both hard. Please. And hopefully one will join Alli Campbell (a high school PG who might play wing for the Irish) in the Irish Class of 2020.

Stay tuned...the competition for the top PG's is going to be fascinating.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@BleedBlue19 -I don't like some of the above stuff. But this one I believe is true. Way too many, IMO, players string and milk each visit. They enjoy being petted, wined and dined, and adored(?). Too, I agree they know early in their Jr (HS) year where they want to go.
The problem has another aspect: College's recruit many more than they will accept, or in Uconn's case their expectation are very very high on basketball skills and personal attitudes, tatoo's, etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some things you can count on here every year at this time. This is one of them. My advice: Live in the moment; the extended moment of the run up to the Big Show 'cuz it's a really big show isn't it and it's the last go round for our seniors. Wanna fight about recruiting, go do it in the recruiting pages.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn’t that why Boston chose South Carolina cause she wanted to go pro and Dawn would get her there.., considering how many years and UCONN games Boston strung the huskies and coaching staff along.... how many games and campus visits do u need to go on to know a school isn’t for u... Boston liked the hype of the UCONN experience more then actually being part of the program.. good luck at SC.. let’s see after one year how many of that class transfer out!!!
No!
Don't see the need to start an entire new cynical thread about this. ALL of this ground has been covered in the recruiting thread. Fundamentally I and perhaps most of us agree with you on this: If ND gets Clark their chances of getting Paige would decrease considering the number of quality guards on the ND roster and the addition of Peoples and Campbell to the ND roster. Every thing else you are asserting about why Boston chose SC and recruits stringing along coaches is really reckless, unsupported, conjecture.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be honest, I am a little surprised that the possibility of Paige going to MN is not mentioned. As a potential generational player, she could turn her home based MN Gophers into a Big 10 favorite and become an icon for MN as well as attract other high level recruits. With one of the best PG in WNBA history coaching in Lindsey Whalen, I think they are a real threat. Yes, they might not win a NC but I am not sure that is critical to players especially if they could put the home state on the FF map. Their recent run of decent play could not hurt either.

See article (behind paywall)

Hopkins star Paige Bueckers can go anywhere — maybe even...
I also view MN as a dark horse to land Paige. She would stay home and learn the game from an Olympic pg. I am a little less worried about the Gophers since they’ve really fallen off after a red hot start to their season.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I also view MN as a dark horse to land Paige. She would stay home and learn the game from an Olympic pg. I am a little less worried about the Gophers since they’ve really fallen off after a red hot start to their season.

Yes, they fell off but they seem to have gotten back on track and might make the tournament if they win a few of the remaining games etc.

1550760863541.png

Reaction Score

From UConn to the WNBA: The Pipeline Continues - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Reaction Score
Boston went to South Carolina because she prayed on it, so I guess religion had something to do with it. Also it was closer to home, and Dawn had food native to her parents home country brought in for lunch or something like that which really impressed Aaliyah.
I still wonder if Boston read this blog. Much of the feedback regarding Ezi Magbegor was that if we recruited her, UConn would not need Boston or that Boston would need to play a secondary role. I know this is a long shot, but for a time, if you read the Boneyard you may not have thought Boston was a priority. Maybe a coincidence, but this was about the time SC got involved.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I still wonder if Boston read this blog. Much of the feedback regarding Ezi Magbegor was that if we recruited her, UConn would not need Boston or that Boston would need to play a secondary role. I know this is a long shot, but for a time, if you read the Boneyard you may not have thought Boston was a priority. Maybe a coincidence, but this was about the time SC got involved.
While I remain baffled at Boston’s decision, I doubt it had anything to do with the BY. Ezi made her decision long before Boston made her decision, and just about every UConn fan viewed Boston as a key component of future UConn championship runs.

I can only speculate, but in the end I think that it simply came down to Boston feeling more comfortable with Dawn & SC.

Reaction Score
Some things you can count on here every year at this time. This is one of them. My advice: Live in the moment; the extended moment of the run up to the Big Show 'cuz it's a really big show isn't it and it's the last go round for our seniors. Wanna fight about recruiting, go do it in the recruiting pages.
Agree ... maybe I’m just old ... but this moment is all I’ve got ... no time to worry about things that haven’t happened.

Reaction Score
Food? Perhaps, but the large number of black men on campus could not have hurt. We tend to think of these young women only as basketball players, but they are also young women.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Yeah, no 5 Star recruits ever go to the Southern Orange anymore. :rolleyes:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Old Dude:
Don't look now, but Minnesota has rebounded a bit and is now on a six-game winning streak to bring their record to 19-7. (Everyone should remember a bit that this UMinn team made the NCAA's last year, so the closet wasn't cleaned out when Coach Whalen arrived.)

Secondly, I came across some chatter from SkinsHoops86 that he believes Paige's AAU buddy from North Tartan EYBL, Lauren Jensen, might be headed to play for Coach Whalen:
"New #CrystalBall
1f52e.png
prediction for 2020 MN guard Lauren Jensen to Minnesota. Just dropped 47 in front of HC Lindsey Whalen the other night."

It appears that besides being the reincarnation of either DT and/or The Pistol, Paige B. might have more hoop-playing friends than anyone in history. She and Jensen are super tight. But they're both about the same size (5-10"/5-11") and like to have the ball. So that decision may or may not influence PB, as well.

Here's some background on both....

AAU Co-Players of the Year: Lauren Jensen & Paige Bueckers - Prep Girls Hoops

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Intriguing idea, but living in the moment would get in the way of our ability to fret, panic and whine about future events that we have absolutely no control over.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude:
Don't look now, but Minnesota has rebounded a bit and is now on a six-game winning streak to bring their record to 19-7. (Everyone should remember a bit that this UMinn team made the NCAA's last year, so the closet wasn't cleaned out when Coach Whalen arrived.)

Secondly, I came across some chatter from SkinsHoops86 that he believes Paige's AAU buddy from North Tartan EYBL, Lauren Jensen, might be headed to play for Coach Whalen:
"New #CrystalBall
1f52e.png
prediction for 2020 MN guard Lauren Jensen to Minnesota. Just dropped 47 in front of HC Lindsey Whalen the other night."

It appears that besides being the reincarnation of either DT and/or The Pistol, Paige B. might have more hoop-playing friends than anyone in history. She and Jensen are super tight. But they're both about the same size (5-10"/5-11") and like to have the ball. So that decision may or may not influence PB, as well.

Here's some background on both....

AAU Co-Players of the Year: Lauren Jensen & Paige Bueckers - Prep Girls Hoops
The “AAU pal” connection often gets overemphasized imo, but the resurgence of MN WBB is a legitimate concern. The Gophers have a tough 3-game stretch ahead. Hopefully they’ll lose all 3 and get bounced out of the conference tournament in the 1st round. Then we can both be concerned about our traditional recruiting rivals: the Irish or the Huskies respectively...:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom