IF Miller Were to Leave.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

IF Miller Were to Leave....

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Karl did a great job as an assistant and a recruiter under JC. He also departed that job in 2001. It's been 15 years. Maybe its time.

Do you really lose it after a time? How do you know this?

NO MORE HIRING PEOPLE WITH NO COACHING EXPERIENCE TO THE STAFF OF A TOP-10 JOB

I disagree. This is a top 10 job in our minds, not others. We have the history, but the reality is, if we aren't in a P5, we're unfortunately further down the pike.

And I totally agree with getting the best guy available. That's how you should recruit and accept players in college, how you should draft players professionally, and hire people at all levels of management.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A guy I'd spend a long time looking at is Butch Pierre.

Former point guard at Mississippi State, very bright guy, good recruiter and is somewhere in his mid-50's, so he has more time under his belt than KO, but is close enough to relate.

Got his Master's while he was an assistant at MSU, spent a long time at LSU before losing his job when John Brady got canned - I'd imagine the same thing is about to happen with Ford at Okie State, so he'll likely be available.

Recruited some big names to both schools - not a perfect fit, but a pretty darned good one.

Do you think Ollie has the balls to push out one of his current staff? Honest question.

The fact that they all have ties to JC and UCONN makes in really, really tough imo.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I also don't understand how everyone has pegged Miller as the weak link. He does well on the recruiting trail. Seems to be one of the few X's and O's guys on the staff. And our free throw shooting has definitely been very solid (and sometime fantastic) under his tutelage. Brings solid HC experience.

Where exactly is he failing?

I've noticed some other people answer this prior to me asking. Thanks for the info @superjohn and @zls44

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ollie desperately needs someone who understands that a college team cannot run an antiquated NBA isolation offense that relies on winning one on one battles. I don't care which assistant goes, we need the equivalent of a great offensive coordinator to come in and install a motion/passing offense. Steve Kerr would be nice. :)

I disagree. The system can be run effectively. We just won in 2014 (and 2012) with that system. It's a very good system in it's own right.

The key is you need the right players to run it. We don't have that on this years roster. It is what it is.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Has Clyde Vaughn been pardoned by the state and the university for his error in judgement yet? We were having some serious success with our bigs when he was here.
It will never happen, but he did a great job here.

This is the most oversold meme on here. Clyde was here for a Grand total of 2 years. Two! He shouldn't even get credit for that much if you are looking objectively. And anybody could have coached Emeka. Anybody.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I disagree. The system can be run effectively. We just won in 2014 (and 2012) with that system. It's a very good system in it's own right.

The key is you need the right players to run it. We don't have that on this years roster. It is what it is.

Those teams won on defense. The offense wasn't the strength of those teams, and those players are very hard to find. They need a new offensive system.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Those teams won on defense. The offense wasn't the strength of those teams, and those players are very hard to find. They need a new offensive system.

College teams almost always win on strong defenses, so that's not a shock.

Yes, those are players are hard to find, but those are the players that win the NC year in year out. If you don't find those players, you'll win some games with a 'nice looking' system, but you are not likely to win it all. Elite players win the big games.

I know we've discusses this before, but I only care about championships. I don't care about winning a few games in the NCAAs and bowing out.

Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate. Why aren't these people running these big man camp's currently coaching? Just because they are running a camp doesn't mean they are good at it.
That's why I asked. But on the other hand if they aren't successful at coaching/training up big men then why do people still go to their camps? Some of these camps and directors seem to be pretty successful. A guy like Don Kelbick for example(not saying he would be a good fit at UConn just using him as an example). Quoting from the Breakthrough basketball Camp website:

"Some of Don Kelbick's credentials include:
  • Over 35 years of basketball coaching experience at the high school, division I college, and professional levels.
  • Has provided individual training for more than 14 different NBA players, 50 European and professional players, and hundreds of college basketball players.
  • Developed dozens of basketball DVDs and books.
  • Has scouted for NBA teams and served as a general manager in the USBL.
  • Traveled to over 20 different countries training players and teaching basketball.
  • Conducted over 1000 basketball clinics and camps training players of all age levels."
Only reason why I mention a guy like this is he may have an inside track recruiting wise and developing big men over some currently on the staff. Again, I'm not saying this particular guy is the answer to whatever woes there may be in the basketball program but am just asking for my own curiosity if and if not why not guys like this are considered or not considered. Are there NCAA regs prohibiting guys like this?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is the most oversold meme on here. Clyde was here for a Grand total of 2 years. Two! He shouldn't even get credit for that much if you are looking objectively. And anybody could have coached Emeka. Anybody.
Maybe, but you get the credit when good things happen on your watch and the blame when bad things happen. In any event, he's not coming back.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you think Ollie has the balls to push out one of his current staff? Honest question.

The fact that they all have ties to JC and UCONN makes in really, really tough imo.

Nope.

Ollie and Miller were hired on the same day.

My guess is that there is a 5% chance of a staff opening and that would come from something odd like Central hiring Karl.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nope.

Ollie and Miller were hired on the same day.

My guess is that there is a 5% chance of a staff opening and that would come from something odd like Central hiring Karl.

Miller's name has been tossed around with regards to Central, so you never know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Miller's name has been tossed around with regards to Central, so you never know.

Good. I don't care who it is, but the current brain trust needs some outside ideas/perspective.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Maybe, but you get the credit when good things happen on your watch and the blame when bad things happen. In any event, he's not coming back.

I agree with that a bit, but when your run is so short, it's really tough to make that claim.

So here's Clyde's guys his 1st year:

Hilton Armstrong FR C
Justin Brown SR C
Mike Hayes SR F
Scott Hazelton SO F
Emeka Okafor SO C
Marcus White FR F​

Hilton, Brown, Hazelton and Hayes didn't get appreciably better. Marcus White it was tough to tell, as he didn't get the PT earlier in the year. I'd say he did improve. Okafor is Okafor; a special player. He got better every year, and the credit for some of his improvement should go to Clyde.

Here's Clydes guys his 2nd year:

Hilton Armstrong SO C
Josh Boone FR C
Emeka Okafor JR C
Charlie Villanueva FR F
Marcus White SO F​

Again, Hilton didn't get appreciably better this year. Marcus White it was tough to tell, as he didn't get the PT earlier in the year. I'd say he did improve. But Hilton didn't blow up until Sr year, 2 years after Clyde was gone. Which gives more weight to other coaches on the staff, unless you believe Clyde's coaching magically carried players through their careers [false obviously--see Josh Boone below].

Marcus looked maybe a little better, but injuries marred his development, and he end up transferring out. That can't be counted as a win.

Boone looked good and definitely improved. And he was stagnant after Clyde left, so this might be Clyde's strongest argument.

Charlie V was a top 2 player coming in, and was pretty much studly from the get go, minus some freshman bumps in the road.

Okafor blew up this year. But again, Okafor is Okafor; a special player. He got better every year, and the credit for some of his improvement should go to Clyde. Giving all the credit to Clyde is like giving one of the coaches all the credit for Kemba or Shabazz. Those guys were special, special players, who'd likely develop a lot under any decent coach.

Ultimately, Elite players makes coaches look good.

JMO

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree with that a bit, but when your run is so short, it's really tough to make that claim.

So here's Clyde's guys his 1st year:

Hilton Armstrong FR C
Justin Brown SR C
Mike Hayes SR F
Scott Hazelton SO F
Emeka Okafor SO C
Marcus White FR F​

Hilton, Brown, Hazelton and Hayes didn't get appreciably better. Marcus White it was tough to tell, as he didn't get the PT earlier in the year. I'd say he did improve. Okafor is Okafor; a special player. He got better every year, and the credit for some of his improvement should go to Clyde.

Here's Clydes guys his 2nd year:

Hilton Armstrong SO C
Josh Boone FR C
Emeka Okafor JR C
Charlie Villanueva FR F
Marcus White SO F​

Again, Hilton didn't get appreciably better this year. Marcus White it was tough to tell, as he didn't get the PT earlier in the year. I'd say he did improve. But Hilton didn't blow up until Sr year, 2 years after Clyde was gone. Which gives more weight to other coaches on the staff, unless you believe Clyde's coaching magically carried players through their careers [false obviously--see Josh Boone below].

Marcus looked maybe a little better, but injuries marred his development, and he end up transferring out. That can't be counted as a win.

Boone looked good and definitely improved. And he was stagnant after Clyde left, so this might be Clyde's strongest argument.

Charlie V was a top 2 player coming in, and was pretty much studly from the get go, minus some freshman bumps in the road.

Okafor blew up this year. But again, Okafor is Okafor; a special player. He got better every year, and the credit for some of his improvement should go to Clyde. Giving all the credit to Clyde is like giving one of the coaches all the credit for Kemba or Shabazz. Those guys were special, special players, who'd likely develop a lot under any decent coach.

Ultimately, Elite players makes coaches look good.

JMO

You're missing the point. Clyde was drinking buddies with Chief. Hence he is the best we've ever had.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Oh, what the heck.

I'm cutting in line. Not waiting for some measured responses. Not waiting for the "don't speculate about player transfers or staff changes".

Nope. This thread doesn't go haywire until the obvious nuclear option and rationale for it is thrown out there.

The answer??

Jim Calhoun. Mentors and guides Ollie in a non-recruiting role.

Someone was gonna write it and I don't have the patience to wade through pages of rational thought.

Hilton Armstrong makes this hard to disagree with.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can markedly improve on the class KO just signed (plus possibly Zac Brown). Getting far more utility/coverage from a better recruiter is desirable ... but not #1 focus for staff improvement.

Big Man development - to my view - was Calhoun. It is the toughness & grit that Voskuhl, Sellers, Okafor, Boone displayed ... that needs to be seen from their first court appearances. I don't see it. And I don't know how we get it back - except a fire breathing dragon like JC. 2015-2016 saw improvement ... but far too many dumb Shonn Miller fouls.

X & O advancing. I think we aren't seeing the right mix with KO & the others. I agree there needs to be a shakeup. Regardless of our recent NC, KO can be a far better strategist; but someone has to be transformative to get him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom